darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 22 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#1051 Posted: 17:48:34 16/01/2017
Quote: mega spyro
Quote: CountMoneyBone
Quote: wideawakewesley
Sorry to be the negative nancy, but I'm still convinced Imaginators is the last Skylanders game and that Toys For Bob will either close or move onto something else. The Switch port is a last money grab to eek out every possible bit of profit from the series and ensure as many figures are sold as possible and not left on shelves. I'm sure it'll also prove useful for TfB if they've done the port, as it gives them experience developing for a new platform. I don't expect the Switch to sell well though, I think we're looking at Nintendo's last console and the worst selling platform for Imaginators. I want to be proven wrong, I love this franchise, but nothing I've seen suggests Skylanders is something Activision will want to continuing investing in.

i can agree with everything you typed here. you are not a negative nancy but a realist like me.

You mean realism like "They're making a patch to remove the last 5 characters from the game"

i read a comment here talking about patching, so that was a misunderstanding from my side. sorry..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:50:44 16/01/2017 by CountMoneyBone
Bitmap Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#1052 Posted: 19:28:00 16/01/2017
My whole take on the situation: From what it seems, I'm not sure about the future of the franchise, but it's safe to say that the 7th game is canned. Also not many people have actually questioned Activision's decision to completely get rid of the portal for the Switch port of Imaginators. Seriously, if Activision still somewhat found Skylanders profitable, they would've given this version of the game a portal. Honestly that alone along with many significant TFB employees leaving is the final nail in the coffin for me.

The other day I went to a Gamestop and I asked if they had any used Skylanders but the guy working there said they "got rid of all of them" because they wouldn't be considered profitable. Personally I think that's just the employee working there not knowing what he's talking about, considering that last month every Gamestop I went to had so many used ones selling like Hot cakes.

You know, Skylanders may or may not be ending, but I can say for sure that I can see Spyro 1-3 remasters happening. Let's be real, if the N-Sane trilogy is successful, I bet they will do a Spyro trilogy remake. Though, the one thing I do question is if this did happen and it became successful, how would they continue Spyro from there? I mean if Skylanders is still a thing in the future he'll still be in that series, but where would they go from Spyro Remakes? God forbid no more reboots.

The problem with post-Insomniac Spyro is that, as much as I liked the GBA games and A Hero's Tail, developers had no real idea of what direction they wanted to take the series in. The Legend of Spyro games, why not my cup of tea, was a proper reboot with an all-new universe with ground up rebuilt gameplay for Spyro. It was definitely the most successful Spyro had been in a while, but Spyro really broke ground once Skylanders became a billion-dollar hit. So again, I have no idea what they would do with Spyro after this. As much as I want more games in the classic continuity, I don't think they would be good enough in our current gaming market.

I think I'm overthinking things.
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#1053 Posted: 19:37:25 16/01/2017
call me crazy but i think that one of the things that help to strengthen the rumor of skylanders Cancellation is the rumor itself. i believe that ever sanse stores heard about it without any clarification from activision it maked them believe that skylanders is not profitable anymore and drop the figures.
just to clear i am not blaming liam in this.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:59:13 16/01/2017 by omer1698
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#1054 Posted: 19:48:55 16/01/2017
I´m guessing this will be an interesting year for you guys. Also I didn´t see any Skylanders on the main shelves, meaning that the rumor could or could be true.

Spyro may be popular enough that there may be another game; just know that it´s like feeding the fire. The more of the good stuff you put into the flame, the better off the fire is. The worse the stuff is, the less the flame will be. Remember the games of the past, they were the ones that lost the fuel to the fire. I wonder what other games they could be making?

And if they make another Skylanders game, it may not sell as well as the first one.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#1055 Posted: 19:53:29 16/01/2017
The new Spyro game rumor isn't real, FW, give it up already. It wasn't real 3 years ago, it's not now. Remasters don't count.

Bitmap, the portal was scrapped because TFB couldn't finish it in time. I believe Paul Reiche said during E3 "we're planning on making a new one but we might use an old portal", so it's most likely lack of development time. And on a possible new Spyro game, the issue is that collectathons are still in limbo, and unless Yooka-Laylee destroys the competition, AAA companies are still going to be looking at the genre with distrust. Spyro first started tripping on AHT when the market was oversaturated, and you can't really bring it back when people still see it as too much work for too little return, unlike an open-world RPG and whatnot.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:55:22 16/01/2017 by Bifrost
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#1056 Posted: 23:44:53 16/01/2017
This might be relevant here-

For some reason, there's a shortage of creation crystals in my area. Local target only had two in total, and gamestop only had 5.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#1057 Posted: 23:48:20 16/01/2017
We still haven't even sold 1 million starter packs. Seriously, this is an epic fail beyond all potential proportions. Ironically the figures, paint jobs and packaging are among the series best.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#1058 Posted: 00:10:56 17/01/2017
Quote: ZapNorris
This might be relevant here-

For some reason, there's a shortage of creation crystals in my area. Local target only had two in total, and gamestop only had 5.

It is everywhere. For the B1G1 at Gamestop Saturday, only one of the three I went to even had ONE crystal. I only see a few at other stores, and TRU only has the Water one available online right now. I wanted some more for my creations, so ended up ordering online at Gamestop saturday, and they are all coming from different stores. Given that they tried to lock down crystals, this scarcity is incredibly dumb.

They really didn't need to lock out crystal reset. They just needed to make them easier to get and people would not want to reset their crystals they have crafted as much.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#1059 Posted: 01:28:00 17/01/2017
Quote: TakeYourLemons
We still haven't even sold 1 million starter packs. Seriously, this is an epic fail beyond all potential proportions. Ironically the figures, paint jobs and packaging are among the series best.

The starter packs haven't sold much, but the figures themselves seem to be doing pretty well. According to their report, there are about two sold every second. There may not be many people who have the game, but those who do are definitely buying a lot of Skylanders.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:28:35 17/01/2017 by TrapShadowFan
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#1060 Posted: 02:51:09 17/01/2017
Quote: TrapShadowFan

The starter packs haven't sold much, but the figures themselves seem to be doing pretty well. According to their report, there are about two sold every second. There may not be many people who have the game, but those who do are definitely buying a lot of Skylanders.

This is when you consider all Skylanders sold since the first game and it is a global average. Right now, there aren't two toys sold every second.
---
bye
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#1061 Posted: 02:52:28 17/01/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: TrapShadowFan

I think you misunderstood that statistic. It didn't pertain to Imaginators, specifically, it pertained to the franchise in general. Since launch, the combined sales of all Skylanders breaks down to two sold per second of every day. A very, very big part of that figure is from Adventure and Giants, as those sold like hot cakes. There is no way Imaginators is maintaining that pace.
---
Hail Sithis
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#1062 Posted: 17:02:51 17/01/2017
When I went to Smyths the other day, I saw 20 EEF Packs (presumably a new release), some Barbella Figures, a Wolfgang Figure, a bunch of tech and earth crystals, some crystals (like 5) and a metric ton of Superchargers.
---
Soon.
Spyro557 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3796
#1063 Posted: 19:59:29 17/01/2017
I don't know if anyone knows about this yet, but Activision will be releasing their Q4 2016 financial results on February 9th.
They will have a conference call on that day, and we should find out for sure if it's cancelled or not.
Here's the link to more info: http://investor.activision.com...leaseID=1007833
It says that we can listen to the call live on Feb 9th, but you need an account to listen.
#1064 Posted: 20:02:27 17/01/2017
so the results will come on Feb 9th? in that day we might finaly know if skylanders is saved or doomed. and if not then its will be probobly the coma option they will chose.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:03:40 17/01/2017 by omer1698
Spyro557 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3796
#1065 Posted: 20:06:32 17/01/2017
Yeah, and I think most news sites will post the news the following day on the 10th Feb.
Oh, and thanks to ninja9351 for finding this out! He was the one who found this as I saw he talked about it in his video.
#1066 Posted: 21:26:31 17/01/2017
At this date they may announce no main game this year, but with the new level, figures and Academy Season 2 later this year, they won't say "we are cancelling the Skylanders franchise".
---
bye
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#1067 Posted: 21:28:41 17/01/2017
I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that if there isn't a new Skylanders game released in Fall 2017, that doesn't mean the series is cancelled altogether.

They may still expand more on Imaginators through DLC, and/or they may still have a game planned for 2018 or later.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#1068 Posted: 22:19:07 17/01/2017
Quote: Spyro557
I don't know if anyone knows about this yet, but Activision will be releasing their Q4 2016 financial results on February 9th.
They will have a conference call on that day, and we should find out for sure if it's cancelled or not.
It says that we can listen to the call live on Feb 9th, but you need an account to listen.

FINALLY!
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#1069 Posted: 01:06:38 18/01/2017
Quote: CountMoneyBone

FINALLY!

...says the guy who's been jumping to wild conclusions for years now, harassed users who said otherwise, and even said a patch was being made to remove the last 5 characters.

hypocrisy at it's finest. don't count your moneybones before they hatch, kids. smilie
#1070 Posted: 05:56:04 18/01/2017
i sure hope that if they will not be a new skylander game in 2017 mabey there will be in 2018 or few years after that (three is my limit).
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Pokelander Green Sparx Gems: 424
#1071 Posted: 07:11:31 18/01/2017
Wake up and smell the coffee. The writing is on the wall people. Low product volume everywhere you go. No game this fall which may be sad but my wallet sure seems happy about the news. All I have to say is that I'm glad I picked up mostly everything this year. You will not see tons of figures plaguing the clearance bins at GS this year and forget about used figures because GS no longer takes them for trade. Get what you need because the price on ebay is going to climb now.
#1072 Posted: 07:41:35 18/01/2017
Not on this fall but it dasent mean there will not be in other falls.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#1073 Posted: 09:56:47 18/01/2017
It's weird how you say that gs stopped trading em in no wonder I herd my friend get mad about it.

Only time will tell what happens in next reveal with curse tiki island we'll see if they confirm wether or not there going to be 7th game
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
LiamR Red Sparx Gems: 85
#1074 Posted: 10:14:16 18/01/2017
Hey guys. How's it going? Sorry I was away for a while. I actually tried to log in a few days ago but forgot my password lol

I wouldn't expect to hear if a game has been cancelled in their investors briefing. I have never known Activision do that. Even when GH7 was cancelled, they just told their investors that they weren't planning one for that year. We'll likely only get 100% confirmation if stuff from the supposedly cancelled Skylanders 2017 leaks out or if employees come forward.

Just expect them to address the performance of Imaginators and Skylanders in general.
#1075 Posted: 10:22:57 18/01/2017
When gh7 was cancelled they just siad that they werent planning one for that year? So even if they kill skylanders they will not have the guts to tell the complete truth? So typical from activision.

Just out of curiosity did activision had a franchise that pass the six instalments line?
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:27:45 18/01/2017 by omer1698
#1076 Posted: 11:26:18 18/01/2017
Quote: omer1698
When gh7 was cancelled they just siad that they werent planning one for that year? So even if they kill skylanders they will not have the guts to tell the complete truth? So typical from activision.

Just out of curiosity did activision had a franchise that pass the six instalments line?

They were very vague about it. I guess we'll see what happens.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#1077 Posted: 11:26:58 18/01/2017
Quote: LiamR
Hey guys. How's it going? Sorry I was away for a while. I actually tried to log in a few days ago but forgot my password lol

I wouldn't expect to hear if a game has been cancelled in their investors briefing. I have never known Activision do that. Even when GH7 was cancelled, they just told their investors that they weren't planning one for that year. We'll likely only get 100% confirmation if stuff from the supposedly cancelled Skylanders 2017 leaks out or if employees come forward.

Just expect them to address the performance of Imaginators and Skylanders in general.

Actually, they've done this every year. So were quite likely going to find out the truth.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#1078 Posted: 11:29:36 18/01/2017

Call of Duty. They also published more than 6 games for each of these franchises: Guitar Hero, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Transformers, X-Men.
---
bye
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:32:47 18/01/2017 by newkill
#1079 Posted: 11:49:26 18/01/2017
These last few are also licensed, so a bit of a special case(extra special for the hole they put Tony Hawk in).

I think some other franchises qre tumbling down the yearly road too? Haven't checked what Acti does outside of mainstream news for obvious reasons.
---
spot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1528
#1080 Posted: 11:55:45 18/01/2017
I'm interested to hear their report on the performance of Imaginators and Skylanders. Will be interesting to hear exactly how poorly it's performing.
#1081 Posted: 12:03:21 18/01/2017
poor or not i just hope it will be enough for sky7.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1082 Posted: 12:14:44 18/01/2017
Hope you guys get your Skylanders 7! I hope the rumours about Sky and TFB aren't true.

You should note that the person who originally tipped me off about the situation also tipped me off about Scalebound being cancelled (I was the person who broke that story).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:15:28 18/01/2017 by LiamR
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#1083 Posted: 12:23:03 18/01/2017
Hope you guys get your Skylanders 7! I hope the rumours about Sky and TFB aren't true.

You should note that the person who originally tipped me off about the situation also tipped me off about Scalebound being cancelled (I was the person who broke that story).

So based on what you were told Activision are planning to completely wipe their hands of the franchise, rather than have a hiatus or consider a different direction maybe away from TTL and towards DLC?
#1084 Posted: 12:40:10 18/01/2017
Quote: kaosmumishot

So based on what you were told Activision are planning to completely wipe their hands of the franchise, rather than have a hiatus or consider a different direction maybe away from TTL and towards DLC?

well thats one of the main speculations but turns out that activision have became quite unpredictable, i mean no one here predicted the switch patch and the tiki tample thing.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1085 Posted: 12:40:43 18/01/2017
Scalebound still had a bit of weird info, though, like Kamiya laughing off that he could be on a break due to mental issues. But that situation was ugly all around, especially since he sold his brainchild in hopes of getting it off the ground and lost it forever.

With the Switch announcement parading SA Season 2 on the blog post, though, I think we're safe on that regard and they couldn't get rid of the show that easily.
---
#1086 Posted: 12:41:36 18/01/2017
They released a pretty good game with an awesome gimmick, beautiful figures, we had Crash Bandicoot to attract some fans, Kaos figure, all toys from previous games still work... yet the game sells even worse than the previous one... how can Skylanders come back? We can blame Activision for their decisions if we want, but it isn't their fault if people are tired of Toys-to-Life and the genre is dying :/ 1, 2 or 5 years of hiatus won't help, it destroys the momentum the series has since it started.
---
bye
#1087 Posted: 12:43:40 18/01/2017
Yes,yes it would. The momentum is already lost because people can't spend even if they wanted it, it's far too big an investment(just this game is easily 700 to get everything? You can buy every big release in 2016 and then some!). Give people time, they can actually save up and support. The genre can survive if people can think long term rather than short term, since it's too much risk to oversaturate it unlike shooters or collectathons.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:45:34 18/01/2017 by Bifrost
#1088 Posted: 14:08:44 18/01/2017
hitus might be the only way that can help skylanders, it can help in developing time which imagnitors didnt had (which can allso explain the crappy plot).
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#1089 Posted: 17:04:54 18/01/2017
I'd be fine with a hiatus. It would make the next game better and I'd finally be able to have money for once.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:06 18/01/2017 by TrapShadowFan
HuskerfanChuck Yellow Sparx Gems: 1225
#1090 Posted: 17:56:05 18/01/2017
Can somebody point me to the source for the sales figures? Curious where those are coming from.
---
HuskerfanChuck

Repping the Light, Huskers, and Nebraska!
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#1091 Posted: 18:37:16 18/01/2017
hitus might be the only way that can help skylanders, it can help in developing time which imagnitors didnt had (which can allso explain the crappy plot).

The plot for me felt like it was just kaos trying take it over with imagination while we stop him with our imagination

That's all I could make out about the plot.
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
#1092 Posted: 19:14:12 18/01/2017

They were very vague about it. I guess we'll see what happens.

To be fair, they DIDN'T cancel the Guitar Hero series outright... they did their last yearly release (Guitar Hero: World Tour) in 2008, and then they released Guitar Hero Live in 2015.

Quote: HuskerfanChuck
Can somebody point me to the source for the sales figures? Curious where those are coming from.

Extrapolations from store sales figures posted on Twitter, mostly. As mentioned further up on this page, there's an Activision shareholder meeting on Feb 9 that should result in some more detailed data.

Also, go Huskers.

Quote: Bifrost
Yes,yes it would. The momentum is already lost because people can't spend even if they wanted it, it's far too big an investment(just this game is easily 700 to get everything? You can buy every big release in 2016 and then some!). Give people time, they can actually save up and support. The genre can survive if people can think long term rather than short term, since it's too much risk to oversaturate it unlike shooters or collectathons.

Right, one of the reasons Giants did so well (other than the fact that it was near the start of the Toys to Life craze) was that it had fewer new figures that were necessary to buy. The game itself was a very mediocre increment to the first game and was largely forgettable (aside from George Takei voicing the Arkeyan Conquertron... ohhhh myyyyy). But since you could reuse the figures from the first game with no penalties and there were only 16 completely new characters to buy if you wanted to complete a collection, it was a smaller investment.

We also have to take into account that the price of figures has been creeping up since the Giants came out, too, and that every game after Swap Force started rendering the previous generations' characters less and less powerful, making it almost mandatory to buy the current series' figures just to keep the game from being frustrating.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:22:38 18/01/2017 by McMurderpaws
#1093 Posted: 19:22:04 18/01/2017
Well, you never bury an IP forever unless you have a crazy stigma about touching the work ever again and even these tend to get overturned. GH, however, was as good as dead in 2008, and Live was an attempt at staying relevant and trying to milk it again that fell flat, now it's back to the previous state.
---
#1094 Posted: 19:25:04 18/01/2017
Well, you never bury an IP forever unless you have a crazy stigma about touching the work ever again and even these tend to get overturned. GH, however, was as good as dead in 2008, and Live was an attempt at staying relevant and trying to milk it again that fell flat, now it's back to the previous state.

Totally not arguing. GH Live was crap, and I don't doubt that a future Skylanders game after spending the better part of a decade buried won't be just as slap-dash and culturally uninteresting.
#1095 Posted: 19:31:50 18/01/2017
thats why i hope they will go to a year hitues, for activision will not rise skylanders from the dead after years just for getting more money, make a hulf-baked game and then kill it again.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1096 Posted: 19:44:35 18/01/2017
To speak of the devil...

On Skylanders, I didn't mean that a hiatus would be the better choice, I mean like 3 years at the most. That's usually healthy development time and more than enough time for less wealthy people to save up for their figures while still getting other franchises. Unlike what some higher ups in companies think, it's hardly lost relevance, some people might even go 'wait the last game was that long ago?!', as I heard for other franchises in the past.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:46:31 18/01/2017 by Bifrost
#1097 Posted: 19:49:20 18/01/2017
To speak of the devil...

On Skylanders, I didn't mean that a hiatus would be the better choice, I mean like 3 years at the most. That's usually healthy development time and more than enough time for less wealthy people to save up for their figures while still getting other franchises. Unlike what some higher ups in companies think, it's hardly lost relevance, some people might even go 'wait the last game was that long ago?!', as I heard for other franchises in the past.

true but its still batter then the alternative option: killing, reanimating and then killing again.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#1098 Posted: 21:38:50 18/01/2017
IMHO, they HAVE to do yearly releases, the TTL genre is dying out, and yearly releases is what makes Skylanders relevant.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#1099 Posted: 21:59:43 18/01/2017
You're only making it die faster with yearly releases. Relevance doesn't matter when people already don't or can't buy your product. After 6 years you bet they know it exists.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#1100 Posted: 23:01:55 18/01/2017
Quote: newkill
They released a pretty good game with an awesome gimmick, beautiful figures, we had Crash Bandicoot to attract some fans, Kaos figure, all toys from previous games still work... yet the game sells even worse than the previous one... how can Skylanders come back? We can blame Activision for their decisions if we want, but it isn't their fault if people are tired of Toys-to-Life and the genre is dying :/ 1, 2 or 5 years of hiatus won't help, it destroys the momentum the series has since it started.

I'd like to point out something which I think has not been accounted quite enough.

This indeed really good game, with an anwesome gimmick, amazing figures (two of which are some of the most famous videogame characters of all time) and some rather cool features... has been preceded by a pretty bad one.

Don't get me wrong SuperChargers has great character development, a fantastic plot and some interesting and fun level-gimmicks but the heart of this series, the Skylanders and all of their unique gameplays, were put aside in favor of a gimmick which had nothing to do with this franchise (except for the toys-to-life aspect) and mostly "ruined" the flow of the game instead of improving it.
And that's without mentioning the various other questionable decisions.
I know some of you liked the game, I did as well for what it offerend, but stop and think for a second.

Little Bob is waiting for his new Skylanders game, and it even has vehicles this time!
It's finally in his hands, he starts playing and begins learning Spitfire's attacks but suddendly... oh!
A vehicle-only area, cool! He gladly gets through it, plays again with his Skylanders only to find yet another mandatory vehicle-only area.
And so on, for the entire game; and what's the post-game almost entirely about?
Yeah, you got the point.
What can Bob, and many others think about the next game, after this one was so different and gimmick-centric?

I'm not blaming V.V., not at all, but Activision should have probably seen this coming.
Just to make it clear, not saying this series went downhill only because of SuperChargers, neither that of course it was definitely one of the reasons.
I am only taking this possibility into consideration.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:03:04 18/01/2017 by Drek95
First | Previous | Page 22 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me