Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Disney has announced a Lion King remake!
Page 1 of 1
Disney has announced a Lion King remake!
DarkPredator Gold Sparx Gems: 2276
#1 Posted: 01:15:21 29/09/2016 | Topic Creator
Count me the heck in! I have high hopes after seeing the Jungle Book.
---
"Still as silent as ever, eh?" - Blue, Pokémon Sun and Moon
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#2 Posted: 01:20:57 29/09/2016
I am so ready for this. Doing Hamlet at my school is the perfect preparation lol. Even though Lion King is only partly Hamlet and partly something else. A lot of people assume that Lion King is entirely Hamlet
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#3 Posted: 01:31:00 29/09/2016
I would expect to be or not to be more Hamlet esque.

Yes that was a Hamlet pun.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#4 Posted: 01:32:32 29/09/2016
Hamlet with CGI lions. Hell yeah.
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#5 Posted: 01:41:25 29/09/2016
Ignore me, I'm the only cynic here.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#6 Posted: 02:40:23 29/09/2016
Still hyped for the live action Mulan.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#7 Posted: 02:50:42 29/09/2016
I thought we already had a live action version of The Lion King...

...On Broadway.[/badjoke]
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#8 Posted: 00:14:17 30/09/2016
Live action? But there's no human characters...

I'm fine with this. I'm not much into Disney's live action adaptations, so...
---
Bruh
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#9 Posted: 02:33:38 30/09/2016
It's Jon Favreau (Iron Man 1&2, Chef) directing, if I'm not mistaken. Guess Disney's putting its acquisition of Marvel to further good use. ^.^;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#10 Posted: 12:15:41 30/09/2016
Quote: isaac343018s
I am so ready for this. Doing Hamlet at my school is the perfect preparation lol. Even though Lion King is only partly Hamlet and partly something else. A lot of people assume that Lion King is entirely Hamlet

I'd say it's part Hamlet, part Kimba the White Lion, but to be honest, they're kind of BOTH Hamlet with lions in them. A lot of people consider Lion King to be a plagerization of Kimba. I don't know the full details, though, but I've heard the arguments. Frankly, I'm not sure I care enough whether it's a ripoff or not.
Spock Green Sparx Gems: 115
#11 Posted: 22:42:31 23/10/2016
A CGI The Lion King?
I feel like that could go either way, a beautiful remastering or a horrible tarnishing.
The Lion King has a very special place in my heart so they'd better not mess it up though they've done quite well with their live action re-adaptions so far.

Quote: MugoUrth
Quote: isaac343018s

I'd say it's part Hamlet, part Kimba the White Lion, but to be honest, they're kind of BOTH Hamlet with lions in them. A lot of people consider Lion King to be a plagerization of Kimba. I don't know the full details, though, but I've heard the arguments. Frankly, I'm not sure I care enough whether it's a ripoff or not.

Some years ago I watched the pilot of Kimba, the original Japanese in which his name is Leo on Youtube (I'd wanted to watch more than just one episode obviously but the rest of what I was able to find was the English Kimba and wasn't chronological) and saw no resemblance.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:43:10 23/10/2016 by Spock
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#12 Posted: 00:29:25 24/10/2016
I'm actually not too happy about this idea. If the style is going to be realism, which is what I'm getting at considering ti's live action, I think it'll result in losing the emotional impact that the original had. Real lions are not capable of showing detailed emotion like that of a stylistic animated one.
Also, I don't think they need to do a remake because the original is still relevant today.
But it's all a big money grab really so ...
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#13 Posted: 05:34:02 24/10/2016
Quote: Bolt
I'm actually not too happy about this idea. If the style is going to be realism, which is what I'm getting at considering ti's live action, I think it'll result in losing the emotional impact that the original had. Real lions are not capable of showing detailed emotion like that of a stylistic animated one.
Also, I don't think they need to do a remake because the original is still relevant today.
But it's all a big money grab really so ...

I as well am concerned that the level of darkness the atmosphere is at and believability of the events and emotions can not be achieved with real animals but am also considering or more accurately idealizing that perhaps they won't go the hyper-realistic route.
If their live action adaption of the Jungle Book is any indication, however, that chances of a more surreal CGI are slim. Ergo I am more against this than for it conceptually but prefer not to judge too much without a visual.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:35:02 24/10/2016 by Spock
#14 Posted: 19:47:50 24/10/2016
I have never seen the new Jungle Book so I guess I have nothing to base it on. Haha. But won't it be the same studio making it? I wouldn't have minded if the studio who made Bolt/Zootopia/etc. were to make the new Lion King though because they are the ones who do the more cartoon-esque movies ... but oh well.
But yeah, I don't think I should judge it without any visuals, you're right. >.<
---
I draw stuff.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#15 Posted: 20:42:40 24/10/2016
The studio behind Bolt/Zootopia/etc. is the same behing the original Lion King, as you may know. It's the Walt Disney Animation Studios. The one behind The Jungle Book is the same behind the Pirates of Caribbean, the new Alice in Wonderland, etc. They're the ones responsible for the new Lion King. The only full-fledged animated movie they've made was The Wild.

You may know all of that, but I tough you were a bit confused, so... I just wanted to let it clear.
---
Bruh
#16 Posted: 00:52:39 26/10/2016
Well, Jon Favreau, the director behind the live action Jungle Book will be taking on this reimagining as well and this is the only hint we've got so far it seems:

Via Hollywood reporter:
"Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film.”

The new take won’t be live-action, per se, but will definitely look it. Favreau will build on what he accomplished with Jungle Book — using a real child actor and bringing to life the jungle and its animals via cutting-edge technology and a greenscreen set in a Los Angeles studio."

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.c...on-movie-933335

And in case anyone is interested there is a fanmade trailer on Youtube that, interestingly was made before the announcement of the film to build somewhat a speculation from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuJj_hstUc

My biggest concern is with the handling of Scar. He's my favorite character but I don't believe I could accept a version of him that dilutes his dark colors and doesn't have Jeremey Irons voicing him.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:56:40 26/10/2016 by Spock
#17 Posted: 01:05:58 26/10/2016
Oh well, I'm not to pleased with the path they've decided to take ... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And thanks Crash for clearing that up. I did know most of that, haha, but thanks for making it a little clearer. ;p
(Lets hope this one doesn't turn out like The Wild.)
---
I draw stuff.
#18 Posted: 23:43:28 26/10/2016
The only hope I am holding out for this film is that we may get back some of the deleted content from the original.
Primarily, Scar trying to court Nala to be his queen and Scar's original death by flame consumption after defeating Simba.
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#19 Posted: 12:49:41 27/10/2016
In my case I hope we will get the deleted contents of course and added content linking the original lion king to lion king 2,seriously it would be time for them to acknowledge it's existence.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#20 Posted: 22:22:21 27/10/2016
^ True, true.
I also want to see Nala's brother. I forget his name though. Meehto or something?
---
I draw stuff.
Alydol Ripto Gems: 1330
#21 Posted: 04:56:25 28/10/2016
I'm happy to hear this, honestly.
#22 Posted: 23:46:27 28/10/2016
Quote: fyra
In my case I hope we will get the deleted contents of course and added content linking the original lion king to lion king 2,seriously it would be time for them to acknowledge it's existence.

I support this.

^ True, true.
I also want to see Nala's brother. I forget his name though. Meehto or something?

When was it ever discussed that Nala has a brother?
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#23 Posted: 19:01:36 29/10/2016
The Jungle Book was very good so hopefully this will be too.
#24 Posted: 21:52:32 29/10/2016
Quote: Spock

Okay, found it. Turns out his name was actually Mheetu. X'D
You can read about him here if you're interested haha. Basically he was just a character in the early version of the film when it was titled King of the Jungle. Obviously he was scrapped in the final version.
---
I draw stuff.
#25 Posted: 05:16:12 01/11/2016
Quote: Spock

Okay, found it. Turns out his name was actually Mheetu. X'D
You can read about him here if you're interested haha. Basically he was just a character in the early version of the film when it was titled King of the Jungle. Obviously he was scrapped in the final version.

Thanx for sharing. This is quite intriguing.
I'd like to see this character revived in the new film.
SkylandrPurists Emerald Sparx Gems: 3389
#26 Posted: 12:22:09 03/11/2016
Why do I have a feeling there is going to be a bunch of irate 90s kids whining about this movie as well.

Oh well, I guess we better be prepared.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
smiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me