Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Charles Zembillas' latest drawings on Spyro
Page 1 of 1
Charles Zembillas' latest drawings on Spyro
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 07:16:04 13/09/2016 | Topic Creator
Recently the original designer of Spyro, Charles Zembillas, drew several new drawings of our favorite purple dragon as examples for artistic purposes.

http://zembillas.blogspot.com/search?q=Spyro

According to one of his responses on what he thinks about LoS Spyro and Skylanders Spyro, Charles wished I-Wei Huang and Jared Pullen would've contacted him for some art direction on the two Spyros, as he believes there are problems with them.

Quote: Charles Zembillia
First off thanks for the info on the revised versions of Spyro. My take on it is this... I wish they would've contacted me for some art direction or design consultation cuz there's problems with the later versions of Spyro. There's issues that show a less than thorough understanding of the fundamentals of character design. Specifically in the area of enhancing design appeal. I'm trying to be diplomatic but it's hard to ignore my feelings whenever I see the character. I can appreciate where they're trying to go with it but in some respects it's not working for me. Still I'd rather see someone else's Spyro out there than not see him at all.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 07:43:03 13/09/2016 by Aura24
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 08:36:55 13/09/2016
And there you have it. My theory that they just made Skyro on a whim while Skylanders Crash was throroughly planned is right. Wouldn't be surprised if Acti was stingy about letting them do the research all the way.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:37:23 13/09/2016 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 09:54:18 13/09/2016 | Topic Creator
He also signs fan petitions on bringing classic Spyro back in support.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#4 Posted: 10:54:05 13/09/2016
Woah, didn't know he signed them. Anyway, those are so good! It's great to see some Spyro from him again. :D
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#5 Posted: 18:03:14 13/09/2016
I agree with him. Spyro's most recent designs are not really good. The only ones I personally really like is from A Hero's Tail (which uses the old design...) and Skylanders: Academy.
---
Bruh
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#6 Posted: 20:36:03 13/09/2016
I'm surprised by his thoughts on Spyro's more recent designs. I will say I disagree with him. Skro is a great design that needs a few tweaks. Wish he expanded on his problems with them.

What was this theory you had Bifrost?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#7 Posted: 20:47:54 13/09/2016
That because Spyro was supposed to be an adult for Spyro's Kingdom and replaced Flame Dragon as a young dragon at the last minute, I-Wei rushed his design with little research. Not out of laziness or care(scale boobs aside, compare to Cynder, who only changed colors and proportions), just the usual rush of development. There have been a lot of cases where developers had to finish something half-baked and the higher ups are like I LOVE IT CHANGE NOTHING ABOUT IT, and they can't fix it before it's out to the public.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:48:39 13/09/2016 by Bifrost
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#8 Posted: 20:59:31 13/09/2016
Ahh I see. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Thankfully we got a good design.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#9 Posted: 23:29:21 13/09/2016
I think it's easy to guess. The head. It's a ball,his snout is nonexistent, his chins are also thick like Classic but they go inside and he looks weird no matter the angle; and depending on the game he may or may not have an unibrow and the eyes take too much of the face. Even in these drawings, they're huge, but they're not AS big as Skyro's.

Heck, one of the cover artists for the comics did two sketches with Classic Spyro and Skyro, just by swapping the head. That says a lot about how the body is fine, unlike Krome LOS(who's incompatible due to style anyway) and DOTD(kite wings, double knees~).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:29:54 13/09/2016 by Bifrost
#10 Posted: 23:33:32 13/09/2016
The tail gets me because it's too long and impratical even compared to other dragon Skylanders(except Blades, who just stuck a sword to his), but the pyramid shapes are nice.
---
#11 Posted: 15:28:00 14/09/2016 | Topic Creator
The artists probably weren't allowed to seek approval from Charles on Spyro's designs or they never thought about it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:43 14/09/2016 by Aura24
#12 Posted: 15:32:09 14/09/2016
Not approval, even something as small as asking him what he held important in the design. It's what they did with Crash since VV already had those notes and the older concepts.
---
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#13 Posted: 22:26:04 18/10/2016
https://www.blogger.com/commen...592193920915514

Quote: Bryan Tingle
Hey, if your still responding to comments, I really enjoy your explanation of character design and appeal. I've always enjoy Spyro, Crash, Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank because they carry the fundamentals of good character design and appeal, such principles can be found in the art book of animator Preston Blair. As such, I've always admired the games and have practiced drawing in the same style of these games.
I try and try and can't stress enough the importance of these principles, which would be really great if you went into depth on, if you haven't already.
There is a project that I am working on myself that I hope you enjoy for my art:
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=125216

I will continue to look forward to your art and drawings, I applaud you and encourage you to keep up the good work!

Quote: Charles Zembillas
Thank you......Bryan Tingle for your comments.

Bryan Tingle I enjoyed reviewing your drawings. You're a talented artist with a good feel for character design. With some guidance you could take what you're doing to a new level. I plan on creating tutorials that help artists such as yourself to improve upon your work. I've started with a couple of them and will continue to move into specifics concerning the fundamentals of good character design. I also work with artists using Skype through my school The Animation Academy in Burbank. Keep focusing on the basics and practice as much as you can and you'll eventually reach professional quality. Good luck!

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:26:35 18/10/2016 by Bryman04
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#14 Posted: 22:42:34 18/10/2016
Oh ho ho.

But he's right.
---
Bruh
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#15 Posted: 22:15:58 25/10/2016
My gosh! A bipedal Spyro? If this happened years ago, Insomniac Games would've been able to have Spyro hold guns so they could then kept making sequels. Or not.

This is pretty peculiar but cool.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me