Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
What it means to be a nerd [CLOSED]
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 19:17:25 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Back 40-50 years ago, the likes of Star Trek, Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons appealed to a certain number of people while others looked upon them as evil, dumb or something that won't last. Same goes for many anime like Dragonball Z and Naruto in the 90's and 00's. Same thing applies to video games. From text-based adventures to big cinematic open worlds. Must I even mention Batman? Nowadays they're all big titans of nerd culture with big profits, various amounts of adaptations and merchandise and are all cemented as pop culture in movies and TV, whether they're sincere or cynical about nerd stuff.

When I was on Twitter, I noticed a trending hashtag called EssentialNerdMusic, I thought of the type of music no one talks about like anything with Japanese musical instruments like the shō and hichiriki but then I asked myself "Are nerd-related stuff even nerdy anymore? Is this what being a nerd is all about? Do I have dress, walk and talk like Urkel or Sheldon to be considered a nerd?"

[User Posted Image]

Being a nerd means being into something with great interest that others wouldn't into. You can be a nerd about history, natures, woodwork, etc. You don't have to be fat or skinny, you could be a regular or beautiful person and if you obsess over your diet, you're kind of a diet-nerd. Otaku is no different. Basically Japanese for nerd so there would be ones like sports-otaku, mineral-otaku or politics-otaku, not exclusively someone who confines themselves into rooms surrounded by anime figures.

Without context, do you know what this is?

[User Posted Image]

Or what about this?

[User Posted Image]

If you know the latter, then you're a bit of nerd because you recognise things other people wouldn't know at first glance.

Is it more nerd-like to talk about Star Wars or ABC's Once Upon A Time?

Nerd culture has become so mainstream, previous weird stuff being turned to a large reference pools. I say Sonic and you immediately think about Sonic. Same goes with:

• The Simpsons
  • Harry Potter
  • Naruto
  • Aliens
  • Friends
  • Transformers

You know who they are but what about:

• Jacob's Ladder
  • Plebs
  • Remains of the Day
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Beast Machines
  • Elfen Lied

Without checking Google, do you know what they all are? If you do, then you're a bigger nerd than Kevin Smith. A proper one, not some stereotype you see in The Big Bang Theory.

What am I saying is that us real nerds are hipsters and when I mean hipsters, I don't mean these...

[User Posted Image]

Everybody knows this stuff, making them mainstream and therefore lack what it means to be a hispter.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:34:33 20/08/2016 by StevemacQ
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#2 Posted: 21:16:22 20/08/2016
"Nerd" is a label your DAD identifies with, so if you identify as a nerd the yeah, you're definitely a nerd.

I identify as an otaku because that is what I am. While the term probably existed in Japan for far longer, in the west the label specifically applies to my generation, and isn't some hammy down rubbish like "nerd-culture."
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#3 Posted: 21:26:19 20/08/2016
Semantics are semantics and this thread is entirely stupid
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#4 Posted: 06:44:52 21/08/2016
We get it you're cool for liking obscure stuff.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#5 Posted: 07:22:29 21/08/2016
Quote: QueenChrysalis
"Nerd" is a label your DAD identifies with, so if you identify as a nerd the yeah, you're definitely a nerd.

I identify as an otaku because that is what I am. While the term probably existed in Japan for far longer, in the west the label specifically applies to my generation, and isn't some hammy down rubbish like "nerd-culture."

You do know otaku isn't a good term right?

[User Posted Image]
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#6 Posted: 07:23:58 21/08/2016
"people like things???? oh i better be elitist about it!"
#7 Posted: 18:57:50 24/08/2016
Quote: Seiki

[User Posted Image]

Same could be said about "nerd."
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#8 Posted: 20:59:58 24/08/2016

[User Posted Image]

Yes, but otaku is actually a derogatory word for basement dwelling Japanese people that are way too into anime. Nerd is just a common word for people into stuff. There's nothing inherently derogatory about it anymore, really.

This topic is still retarded though. LABELS ARE LABELS! WHETHER YOU CHOOSE TO PUT ONE ON YOURSELF IS A MATTER OF OPINION AND SHOULD STAY THAT WAY!
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#9 Posted: 21:04:15 24/08/2016
[User Posted Image]
-----
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#10 Posted: 14:42:09 25/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheToyNerd

[User Posted Image]

Yes, but otaku is actually a derogatory word for basement dwelling Japanese people that are way too into anime. Nerd is just a common word for people into stuff. There's nothing inherently derogatory about it anymore, really.

This topic is still retarded though. LABELS ARE LABELS! WHETHER YOU CHOOSE TO PUT ONE ON YOURSELF IS A MATTER OF OPINION AND SHOULD STAY THAT WAY!

The problem is that we don't put these labels upon ourselves. People brand others as nerds over the oddest things. My mum assumes I like The Big Bang Theory because it's about nerds, not knowing that's made by douchebags with an outdated mentality and narrow perception on nerds.

If I talked about Berserk, then someone bought me a t-shirt of with characters from The Simpsons, Family Guy, Batman or Star Wars, even if I'm not into any of those things and even then, it be more on specific character arcs and journeys than broad strokes fed to the public as pop culture references.

So it's still annoying when people get to brand you as a nerd, then think you're into the more general stuff, things that EVERYBODY knows about.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#11 Posted: 22:58:06 26/08/2016
Aren't you being just as bad by saying that people who like Star Trek and comic books aren't "real nerds?"
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#12 Posted: 23:11:09 26/08/2016
hey guys im a nerd because ive seen happy feet two
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#13 Posted: 23:14:09 26/08/2016
@StevemacQ

Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me