Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > One thing I worry about if Spyro gets rebooted...
Page 1 of 1
One thing I worry about if Spyro gets rebooted...
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 16:46:27 04/07/2016 | Topic Creator
Music in many video games (especially western ones) are so dry, long-winded and forgettable. Even music in platformers (that aren't indie) try to make Danny Elfman-style music, the stuff you see in Dreamworks productions.

A reason I didn't like Spyro: A Hero's Tail that much was the lack of vibrant folk rock rhythm Stewart Copeland composed in previous games that established the mood of the Spyro series.

If Spyro does get a proper platformer game again without need of Skylanders (lore, characters and toys), I want Stewart Copeland to do the music again or at least someone to capture the spirit of his music.

Heck, I would even settle for JRPG composers like Yoko Shimomura than anything that sounds like Hans Zimmer or Danny Elfman because weirdness is better than blandness.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:37:54 05/07/2016 by StevemacQ
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#2 Posted: 18:54:34 04/07/2016
I miss Stewart Copeland's compositions. The music in the LoS games is really boring and forgettable in my opinion and while I like some of the Skylanders music, most of it (especially in the newer games) sounds too generic. Yoko Shimomura is one of my favourite video game composers and her music would be nice to hear in a Spyro game.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#3 Posted: 18:58:06 04/07/2016
Western Game Music it's not generic and boring your tastes are just too hard to plessure.

Do you even listen to every music in the Spyro games?
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#4 Posted: 20:05:52 04/07/2016
I personally really like the soundtracks in A Hero's Tail and Skylanders. Maybe because I like movie soundtracks, including Dreamworks, like you said.

But, if they made another Spyro game, I'm pretty sure that they will made everything feel classic and nostalgic. Old franchises always come back that way. So I'm pretty sure that they will at least follow the soundtrack close to what it was.
---
Bruh
#5 Posted: 11:37:26 05/07/2016 | Topic Creator
I bring this up because how the new Ratchet & Clank game lacks the catchy audio from the PS2 original.

The PS1 Spryo games had even better music. I absolutely LOVE the music in those games and I believe the AAA industry, in it's self-destructive obsession to be cinematic and Hollywood-like, will sacrifice creativity and distinction in favour of the most expensive and tiresome route, having so many tools all at once and doing NOTHING with them.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#6 Posted: 11:47:47 05/07/2016
Cinematic can be catchy, I think the issue is composers that lose the game's identity. Skylanders is a great example - stuff in Trap Team and before is very grand and orchestral, but they keep strong beats and , as a guy that reivewed the OST said, a very celtic inspiration and signature. Come Superchargers, they banked so much on funky and epic that it sounds like every other kids' AAA game, no matter how pretty it sounds, only two or three songs are memorable.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:55:19 05/07/2016 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 14:44:11 05/07/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Cinematic can be catchy, I think the issue is composes that lose the game's identity. Skylanders is a great example - stuff in Trap Team and before is very grand and orchestral, but they keep strong beats and , as a guy that reivewed the OST said, a very celtic inspiration and signature. Come Superchargers, they banked so much on funky and epic that it sounds like every other kids' AAA game, no matter how pretty it sounds, only two or three songs are memorable.

As someone who isn't a fan of Hans Zimmer's habit of repetition, I do like the music in the original Skylanders. You're right about the Celtic-like sound and the music was especially ancient-like.

Would fit perfectly in the likes of Jak & Daxter.

The diversity in games (characters, genre, aesthetics) have gotten much better than back 8-9 years ago and I think we need to keep pushing and pushing, not to diminish the most popular but to have more different types of games alongside the titans of the industry.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#8 Posted: 21:29:40 05/07/2016
I actually liked the music in tLoS, but I can understand why you guys find it forgettable ( I totally don't have the soundtrack of every single song from all three tLoS games on my iPod and I don't listen to them all the time .... nooooo........... ).
But yeah honestly, I sort of have this same thought. If they do reboot Spyro I hope they keep the soundtrack reminiscent of the original three games.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me