Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > This is Actually Good Criticism... Or Maybe Not.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
This is Actually Good Criticism... Or Maybe Not.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#1 Posted: 19:39:09 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator

As much as I disagree (in part) with him, I really respect his guy's opinion about the franchise. He actually did a good research and even played the games, so he at least knew what he was saying.

I think that this should be used as a example of how to criticize something, not simply bash it for no reason.

Applause him.
---
Bruh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:55:00 23/06/2016 by Crash10
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#2 Posted: 19:45:19 22/06/2016
Ha ha, no... Sure, he displayed his argument in a seemingly calm, well-thought manner but his actual arguments were dumb and childish. It's not just that I disagree with him, he is just very ignorant about the series in general. Sure, he PLAYED the game but he clearly knows nothing about developers and how ORIGINAL CHARACTERS work.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#3 Posted: 19:50:17 22/06/2016
"why is this multimillion company not respecting my childhood and doing what I want"

Either way it's the third darn time someone has brought this video up can we let this subject go,please? The last we need is, once again, to give fuel to this guy because we know he made an account in here after following our insults and criticisms of this very video.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4 Posted: 19:51:05 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheToyNerd
Ha ha, no... Sure, he displayed his argument in a seemingly calm, well-thought manner but his actual arguments were dumb and childish. It's not just that I disagree with him, he is just very ignorant about the series in general. Sure, he PLAYED the game but he clearly knows nothing about developers and how ORIGINAL CHARACTERS work.

I don't think that he's ignorant for the series at all. He seems to know about the games enough. About the developers, maybe you're right, but I think that his criticism about characters is valid. I know, they're original characters, but, I think that it's valid for demand for the characters to be more developed and complex in the games, even if the cast is large.

Quote: Bifrost
Either way it's the third darn time someone has brought this video up can we let this subject go,please? The last we need is, once again, to give fuel to this guy because we know he made an account in here after following our insults and criticisms of this very video.

Someone already posted this? But this video looks very recent. Like, I think that it was made after E3. At least he talked about Imaginators inside it.

And he actually made some valid criticism that go beyond "they killed Spyro". He talked about the gameplay, plot and characters of the game.
---
Bruh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:55:29 22/06/2016 by Crash10
#5 Posted: 20:00:02 22/06/2016
Quote: Crash10

I don't think that he's ignorant for the series at all. He seems to know about the games enough. About the developers, maybe you're right, but I think that his criticism about characters is valid. I know, they're original characters, but, I think that it's valid for demand for the characters to be more developed and complex in the games, even if the cast is large.

Quote:

Someone already posted this? But this video looks very recent. Like, I think that it was made after E3. At least he talked about Imaginators inside it.

That's what the comics, TV show, and NPCs in Imaginators are for. They have other means to develop the cast. The games just aren't it because they have much better things to focus on. Also, most franchises with a cast this huge has issues developing all of the cast. This is not just a Skylanders problem.
#6 Posted: 20:05:53 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crash10

Quote:

That's what the comics, TV show, and NPCs in Imaginators are for. They have other means to develop the cast. The games just aren't it because they have much better things to focus on. Also, most franchises with a cast this huge has issues developing all of the cast. This is not just a Skylanders problem.

In this I agree. Maybe some more "secondary" Skylanders need more development (you can agree that generally the main Skylanders are the ones to receive much more focus), but I said that I generally see Skylanders in a similar way to Pokémon, yet the Pokémons (or the majority) have some background. With a little more work Skylanders can reach that level.

And even with that, there's not much you can argue about he finding the characters uninteresting. Maybe "generic" was not the best word he could use, but yeah...
---
Bruh
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#7 Posted: 20:10:15 22/06/2016
Seeing as how this guy made an account on here just to bash/insult us, on a Skylanders site of all places that he HATES, I don't really care. If he brings the same negativity to the forums, he likely won't be here for long.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#8 Posted: 20:15:08 22/06/2016
Whatever, let's stop talking about this. It's a terrible video that is dumb and pointless. He makes stupid arguments and is mad at a franchise for "ruining his childhood" even though it brought the character back in the spotlight.

Even if the video was well made, I still don't respect Haedox. He harassed Eric Rogers on Twitter for simply being a part of Skylanders. Like, come on! That's petty as hell.
#9 Posted: 20:42:29 22/06/2016
He went on to criticize that no one is going to recognize the non-Spyro characters, despite the fact kids DO recognize the better ones making it raw hypocrisy.

And yeah, as Toynerd and Aura said, wouldn't matter if he was right, he presents it wrong and overall acts very condescending on and outside of it.
---
DeathBlade Yellow Sparx Gems: 1267
#10 Posted: 20:47:25 22/06/2016
This is Haedox in a nutshell. V

---
Meh.
#11 Posted: 20:56:25 22/06/2016
It won't be so funny if his next video is "the skylanders fandom sucks" and he uses these posts to bring his fans here to wreck havoc though.
---
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#12 Posted: 21:00:39 22/06/2016
It won't be so funny if his next video is "the skylanders fandom sucks" and he uses these posts to bring his fans here to wreck havoc though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "Darkspyro sucks" at this point.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#13 Posted: 21:01:15 22/06/2016
Eh, I think he has reasonable arguments. I don't think it's entirely fair to bash him on his opinions.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#14 Posted: 21:06:11 22/06/2016
Quote: Bolt
Eh, I think he has reasonable arguments. I don't think it's entirely fair to bash him on his opinions.

Yet he goes after the Skylanders Academy TV writer on Twitter and sics his subscribers on him.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#15 Posted: 21:08:40 22/06/2016
FYI the guy did judge the Skylander show based on 1 freaking screenshot. While there was more than 1 screenshot leaked and judging a show's quality that is not even out yet on 1 screenshot.

Like I can understand disliking a franchise because of the whole Spyro thing, giving it a sour taste in the mouth (Sort of like Sonic Boom, until the show aired). But don't even call yourself a critic if you are gonna judge things based on 1 thing and not do looking into or any research. This is what happens when a person become obsessed with hatred.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#16 Posted: 21:14:21 22/06/2016
Okay, I didn't know that he did that. I don't even know this guy to be honest, the only thing I've seen from him is this video that I watched an hour ago. And I thought that it was reasonable. But what he did in regards to the writer of the TV series is not reasonable. It is disgusting.
( FYI I don't have Twitter so I don't even know what goes on over there >.< )
---
I draw stuff.
#17 Posted: 21:18:49 22/06/2016
You have to scroll down a bit to reach the posts but you know it when you see it. Based Eric is such a nice guy since he's always about good vibes and trying to always listen to fans(even his old Futurama fans) and just going "look at what THIS MAN has done to our childhood!" is selfish as all **** and very much disgusting.
---
#18 Posted: 21:28:40 22/06/2016
Thanks for showing me that, I have now lost all respect for Haedox. Geeze. :I
It's one thing to not like the franchise, but to go out of your way to harass a writer for the show is, yup, disgusting.
---
I draw stuff.
#19 Posted: 23:18:01 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator
So, uh, my mistake. Better to close this?
---
Bruh
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#20 Posted: 23:24:35 22/06/2016
His argument about distinct and recognizable characters could just as easily be applied to Pokémon. Both franchises have huge rosters, and everyone will have different levels of familiarity with them. I know my Skylanders, while my knowledge of Pokémon is very limited, especially outside of Gen 1 and 3 (I honestly have no idea if I know anything from Gen 2 or not).

"What is a unique characteristic of a Skylander called Slam Bam?"
"What does the Skylander Warnado look like?"

"What is a unique characteristic of a Pokémon called Carvanha?"
"What does the Pokémon Dunsparce look like?"
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
#21 Posted: 23:34:58 22/06/2016
You really can't say anything on recognizable characters with that loaded as hell statement. You know what makes a character memorable? An interesting shape. A cool archetype. A twist to a cliche, or a cliche that is self aware. Variety in a group. "Will I remember this guy in X amount of time" is stupid because you're one person and not even its target audience. Tell a kid that's a fan of Warnado and in a few years they'll probably tell you a lot about him, or not because maybe he wasn't interesting enough, they'll remember Dune Bug instead.

Eh, your choice, Crash10.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:35:20 22/06/2016 by Bifrost
#22 Posted: 23:40:12 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Maybe it's a good discussion. I will let this open unless it starts troubling.
---
Bruh
#23 Posted: 23:49:49 22/06/2016
You really can't say anything on recognizable characters with that loaded as hell statement. You know what makes a character memorable? An interesting shape. A cool archetype. A twist to a cliche, or a cliche that is self aware. Variety in a group. "Will I remember this guy in X amount of time" is stupid because you're one person and not even its target audience. Tell a kid that's a fan of Warnado and in a few years they'll probably tell you a lot about him, or not because maybe he wasn't interesting enough, they'll remember Dune Bug instead.

Memorable characters come from unique designs and personalities. Most Skylanders aren't as in-depth character-wise as say a Transformer or a hero from Overwatch, but they aren't "generic". Skylanders' characters are fun and wacky and kickass. If you show Chop Chop or Snap Shot to any kid... They'll say "wow" guaranteed! That's the appeal. The wow factor.
#24 Posted: 23:56:21 22/06/2016
They're lacking that point but it's exactly why the others make up for it. I'll put VV out of the discussion for obvious reasons,but all the TFB characters have incredibly easy to distinguish silhouettes - Krypt King is tall and large,but made of thin parts; Triggs doesn't have a torso or toes, and the arms are usually going over his head making for interesting animations. SOME are generic,but that's not the majority.
---
#25 Posted: 00:02:45 23/06/2016
I agree with you guys on the character thing. Like, I've only played the first two games and I know the majority of the characters off the top of my head. There are some pretty unique ones ...

I think the thing I mostly agree with in the video is the annual release thing. I don't really like CoD too much for the same reasons. (And annual releases sort of turned out bad for tLoS too with the DotD time restraint issues...)
---
I draw stuff.
#26 Posted: 00:08:14 23/06/2016
Yeah, but that's the issue with Activision, not the devs(which I noticed a lot of people that irrationally bash skylanders seem to forget). They clearly want to take their time with the games, and then we end up with tons of cut content these last years because ~18 months is nowhere as close as what the series needs. However, this does make what they CAN finish on time all the more impressive, and we can compliment that even hating the yearly cycle from their higher ups.
---
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#27 Posted: 00:14:24 23/06/2016
Quote:
I, for one, could not care about any of these characters you see on-screen now. I don't think I can even recognize a single creature. Look at any box art for Skylanders, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
(...)
Please, if you're going to make the argument that all the Skylanders are distinct and special, be able to at least recognize them all. See, the Skylanders lack charm and are just husks of lost potential.

Cringiest part of the entire video.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#28 Posted: 00:16:57 23/06/2016
this dude actually made an account on ds
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
#29 Posted: 00:27:41 23/06/2016
That's the entire crux of the problem. He doesn't care about these characters. He can't recgonize these characters. He doesn't like the style. He wants Acti to care about his childhood.

"Me,me,me" will only get you far in your little circle of friends. If it was the real world of the gaming industry and Acti got shown this, heck if the devs got shown this they'd just laugh and go back to putting their years of art/game design majors into good use and making mad cash out of it because that's one person they'd never sell to anyway. They learned what makes gameplay good, what makes characters look good, and they've sold this enough to have 5 games and another one coming to be SURE of their direction.

Which is why I said all those unkind words I'm not repeating and if the mods deleted and I didn't notice, good riddance, I put too much throught into some random stranger. There's just selfishness and a scary fear of change and the obession with having what's on his mind and not what kids in this generation are having for a childhood. But we know the circle, bullied becomes the bully, give this 10 years and they'll be the ones saying the youngins ruined their favorite characters.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:31:37 23/06/2016 by Bifrost
#30 Posted: 00:42:29 23/06/2016
You have to scroll down a bit to reach the posts but you know it when you see it. Based Eric is such a nice guy since he's always about good vibes and trying to always listen to fans(even his old Futurama fans) and just going "look at what THIS MAN has done to our childhood!" is selfish as all **** and very much disgusting.

Although Haedox is well definitely in the wrong for going out of his way to attack people with his "criticism". Eric should not have replied to the bait and if he wanted to reply, he could've done it in a lot less sarcastic tone (I am referring to this section of course https://twitter.com/EricRogers...712493377814528). It doesn't really matter if he was baited or not, he didn't have to reply to it and he didn't need to be sarcastic when replying. Because using sarcasm like that doesn't make you look like a saint, it makes you look like a jackass. I'm sure Eric is a pretty nice guy, but he just made himself look like an ass which the goal of the baiters. He could've handled it a lot better.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:43:57 23/06/2016 by Trix Master 100
#31 Posted: 00:49:57 23/06/2016
He was feeding the troll, even if he knew what he was getting into, and no matter what he'd said he was going to be either rude or guilible. Some people do end up replying to people not worth talking to at all because they think it's going to help towards something(as in not talking to a brick wall or trying to change someone's mind), as I forget every so often and suffer for :I
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:50:38 23/06/2016 by Bifrost
#32 Posted: 01:01:52 23/06/2016
Yeah. Honestly I think a gullible route (in a confused sense) would have at least helped his case. Otherwise if he knew it was bait, he should've ignored it and wait until a trailer or the show airing to actually take in criticisms, because you can only go a short amount of thoughts with screenshots. Because you can only criticize the looks of the show and not the writing.

Also I wonder if it's the show's appearance along with the games Haedox moan and groans about, then how come he didn't call out the actual people behind the animation and game development? Because a writer has nothing to do with animation or design, they write the story and scripts and maybe have some control in the voice acting direction and that's it (as far as I know).
---
icon from Empoh
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#33 Posted: 03:08:29 23/06/2016
good joke m8
AquillaTMighty Red Sparx Gems: 30
#34 Posted: 21:43:30 25/06/2016
He seems reasonable but really angry. He really hates this series. But he does bring up some good points. Buying the toys should be an optional thing, for collectors.
#35 Posted: 21:46:34 25/06/2016
Quote: AquillaTMighty
He seems reasonable but really angry. He really hates this series. But he does bring up some good points. Buying the toys should be an optional thing, for collectors.

If they wanted really badly to drown in debt for no good reason, maybe, but that's not a thing anyone has in mind when selling a product.
---
#36 Posted: 21:50:09 25/06/2016
Quote: AquillaTMighty
Buying the toys should be an optional thing, for collectors.

But it is? I mean, I've never bought all the figures from any Skylanders game and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I think you sometimes need all the figures to 100% the game, which I agree is stupid, but I can enjoy a game without trying to get 100%.
#37 Posted: 23:01:18 25/06/2016
When I played the series, I was just happy getting one Skylander of each element, that way you could get through all the element gates. >.<
I think it's way too much asking for every Skylander to get 100% completion. But hey, it encourages people to spend more money on the figures to complete the game, which is what Acti wants. :I
---
I draw stuff.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#38 Posted: 02:27:40 26/06/2016
This is what i think of Haedox.

I heard about everything outside DarkSpyro. Why call "this video" criticism? Skylanders doesn't deserve all this hate that the franchise gets. Haedox will only end up in a Conterversy if he continues like this.
Operationgamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1289
#39 Posted: 16:28:49 26/06/2016
Quote: KeybasHedKey
This is what i think of Haedox.

I heard about everything outside DarkSpyro. Why call "this video" criticism? Skylanders doesn't deserve all this hate that the franchise gets. Haedox will only end up in a controversy if he continues like this.

You're probably right. Also, fixed typo.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#40 Posted: 18:53:44 26/06/2016
This is the maturity that he posted on twitter

Language warning

Actually **** you Activision so ****ing hard. You are the worst company ever to exist and I hate that you did this to Crash Bandicoot.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#41 Posted: 19:02:48 26/06/2016
Kinda hard to have a language warning with the filters :U
---
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#42 Posted: 23:37:03 27/06/2016

Oh, I recognize his Twitter icon. He's the guy who said "I hate you all" in the Greetings topic. This guy demonstrates some impeccable levels of childishness.

I'm not even going to waste my time with his video. I'm not a big fan of Skylanders (I only have the first two games) but I'm sick of the "BOO HOO MAH CHILDHOOD :((((((( **** U ACTI FOR NOT DOING WHAT I WANT!!!" stuff (I'm sure he provided some legitimate criticisms in his video besides that, it's just that that attitude overshadows it all). Spyro's a big part of my childhood too and I wish they'd make a new game for him (or remake his classics) but I'm happy he's still around rather than faded into complete obscurity like some of my other childhood games (Clock Tower, etc.).

That's the entire crux of the problem. He doesn't care about these characters. He can't recgonize these characters. He doesn't like the style. He wants Acti to care about his childhood.

"Me,me,me" will only get you far in your little circle of friends. If it was the real world of the gaming industry and Acti got shown this, heck if the devs got shown this they'd just laugh and go back to putting their years of art/game design majors into good use and making mad cash out of it because that's one person they'd never sell to anyway. They learned what makes gameplay good, what makes characters look good, and they've sold this enough to have 5 games and another one coming to be SURE of their direction.

Which is why I said all those unkind words I'm not repeating and if the mods deleted and I didn't notice, good riddance, I put too much throught into some random stranger. There's just selfishness and a scary fear of change and the obession with having what's on his mind and not what kids in this generation are having for a childhood. But we know the circle, bullied becomes the bully, give this 10 years and they'll be the ones saying the youngins ruined their favorite characters.

Well said.

Quote: skylandersspyro
Actually **** you Activision so ****ing hard. You are the worst company ever to exist and I hate that you did this to Crash Bandicoot.

Uh... What exactly did Activision do to Crash that makes him so angry? I haven't really been following this stuff, but while he's getting put into Skylanders (?) he also is getting his first three games remade so why would that not make a Crash fan happy? Am I missing something?
---
but i love it all smooth
#43 Posted: 23:47:58 27/06/2016
Nope. It's just unreasonable whining. Only he gets to have a childhood, children shouldn't get introduced to him in a game they're familiar with because he hates it.

Though he's not the only one throwing that around and reasonable people ARE acting like remasters are a bad thing,because VV became THE skylanders dev for most people and they don't know TFB is the one working in this year's game, so VV has their hands slightly free until Sky 7 development starts for real.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:49:09 27/06/2016 by Bifrost
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#44 Posted: 00:01:18 28/06/2016
That's just such a silly (and selfish) attitude! Skylanders could potentially introduce Crash to a lot of kids and maybe even older adults who might want to check out the rest of his series if they haven't already, bringing more fans into the franchise and bringing life to it. If the demand is high enough, a new Crash game might be made. Same thing with Spyro. I just don't see how it hurts anything. Even if you don't like any new direction that new Crash or Spyro games may take, you'll always have your classics... Let the new generation have some fun ffs. Again, it's okay to criticize and all (saying that you don't like the humor, or the designs or names of the characters, or you don't like the gameplay, etc.) but obsessively bashing it and harassing the creators and pulling the "MAH CHILDHOOD IS RUINED!! smilie" pathos card is silly imo.

Ah, I see... Well, I still trust them smilie Honestly, I can't wait to see how they'll do on the remasters.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:09:14 28/06/2016 by LevanJess
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#45 Posted: 00:01:56 28/06/2016
Nope. It's just unreasonable whining. Only he gets to have a childhood, children shouldn't get introduced to him in a game they're familiar with because he hates it.

Though he's not the only one throwing that around and reasonable people ARE acting like remasters are a bad thing,because VV became THE skylanders dev for most people and they don't know TFB is the one working in this year's game, so VV has their hands slightly free until Sky 7 development starts for real.

I'm sure development has started, They're likely working on both the Crash remasters and Sky 7.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#46 Posted: 00:13:27 28/06/2016
From what we've seen in previous news and whatnot, they seem to work on the gimmick this time of the year, so the ingame programmers and whatnot probably aren't all in this yet. Their team also has handled the mobile games for a while,so they have the size to split up if needed.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:03 28/06/2016 by Bifrost
#47 Posted: 15:50:41 29/06/2016
Sorry to bring this guy up, but... ONE TROLL ON MY VIDEO MEANS THE ENTIRE FANBASE IS A BUNCHA KIDS, GUYS! Ugh... Also, this is just dumb.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:55:32 29/06/2016 by TheToyNerd
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#48 Posted: 16:03:25 29/06/2016
Ok seriously what's the problem with this guy,sure I m more of a Spyro fan myself but attacking directly a website is a bit too much.Even those who are Skylanders fans,we re still Spyro fans right even if I m a legend fan myself and seriously how can he hate an entire site,it s not because it's more a Skylanders fan site now that the Spyro fans here are gone,by insulting the Skylanders fans he also insult the Spyro fans who never left.I don't think he though of that when he said that and also for the guy who say Skylanders is his childhood it's not his fault if he is too young to have played the original franchise.Okay,it feel weird to criticize him after I shown my own hatred but I just do not accept insulting an entire website just for a ruined childhood.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#49 Posted: 16:04:39 29/06/2016
See what I mean about giving fuel? If we start talking **** about him with an account here, he'll hold up as proof that we're all big meanies.

Y'know what we could really do in response, tho? A true Skylanders series review. Get Aura or someone else with a big channel,set up a community effort talking about the pros and cons of each game in ghe series, what brings us to it, if it's worth for newcomers to have some expensive fun, and where to start. Who cares about an outsider trying to hold it up againat his impossible standards? Get really invested fans and real facts.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:06:12 29/06/2016 by Bifrost
#50 Posted: 16:09:23 29/06/2016
I really like that idea! We've got to combat the "Spyro is dead" kind of people somehow.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me