Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
How do you collect Skylanders?
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#1 Posted: 18:40:43 16/06/2016 | Topic Creator
This may be a strange question, but I was just wondering how everybody tackles buying figures. So, do you only buy the first edition of each character, get the ones you like, or just collect all of them?

For some reason I really want the latest edition of each character. With no new reposes on the horizon, I'm hoping this is a good idea. What are your thoughts?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:41:51 16/06/2016 by yelvy
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#2 Posted: 18:47:54 16/06/2016
It depends. For the first 3 games, I got all of the new characters. Now, I only buy the characters I want.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 19:12:05 16/06/2016
Just who I like and can currently afford. I do make sure to get everything Hex though, aside from her S1 which doesn't look that good so I just sold it away.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#4 Posted: 21:52:42 16/06/2016
one of each. i try not to get any of the variants and just the regular ones. my goal is to have all of the normal figures from each game. i got SA done, missing a hand full of giants, SF and TT i got about half of them and in superchargers im just missing thrillipede and his vehicle. as far as buying, i try to get them on sale. gamestop had alot of 50% off sales this year so i got alot of them from that. i think i only payed full price for like 4 of the 36 superchargers figures. thrillipede might be my exception, im probably going to bite the bullet and just buy him off ebay for about 30 bucks or so, i have a feeling he will never get restocked, then again im sure once i buy him he will be in every store for like 10 bucks lol.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#5 Posted: 22:40:25 16/06/2016
Every one in the collection. I know that it's hard in my conditions, but I'm patient. I collect in-game Variants only if I get a good opportunity.
---
Bruh
SoulfulWolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 5782
#6 Posted: 23:27:50 16/06/2016
This has changed for me recently. I started out in SSA only wanting the base 32 [And Dark Spyro, since he played different in SSA 3DS]. In Giants, I was, at first, adamant on only getting new characters, but, when getting a normal starter, I managed to own a S2 Cynder, so I decided to go for those too. About halfway through Giants I thought, if I'm getting reposes, I might as well get everything, so I started getting in game variants, characters and items alike. I think part of what compelled me to do this was the accolades, and a misunderstanding where I thought you needed all accolades in order to get 100%. (I have recently learned that's not the case, and only level stars matter.)

Going on, I continued into Swap Force, still getting everything, and same with Trap Team. I almost finished Trap Team too, but then came the infamous Yawn Traps. That was a trigger for me. I can't complete this collection, easily. I had paid unruly prices on some figures I had missed in the past 3 games off of Ebay already (Legendary Triple from SSA, S2 Bash, and Quickdraw Rattle Shake), but the Yawns were ridiculous! So I looked at SuperChargers with a grain of salt. I still started to collect everything at first, because old habits die hard.

It was around the time that I couldn't find the Nitro Soda Skimmer, and reading the complaints about the Power Blues' selected charity on the forums, I decided enough was enough. I hadn't even played Trap Team or SuperChargers! (Console, for both, did play the 3DS version of both.) I hadn't even beaten Swap Force... And I had so many figures to work through. So, to help get money for other games, and to finish up SuperChargers the new way, I sold a majority of my collection. Only keeping Series 1 versions of the characters, or their Mini/Supercharger counterpart, along with non-variant Magic Items/Levels.

Now, my current plan for Imaginators is to get the 20 new characters, 11 Villains, and 10 Creation Crystals. I may or May not pick up a Dark Starter to keep the Chest that seems to be a mystery to everyone here on the forum, or just try and pick it up used off Ebay. Now the real debate is when and how to get Crash since I'm a Wii U player, ever since the Skymiibo reveal.
GamerZack7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1709
#7 Posted: 23:44:20 16/06/2016
Since SWAP Force, I've only focused on getting my favourite characters, usually in groups of eight. I typically like to own exactly eight of a certain type of gimmick Skylander, with slight variations in some types; this often means that a couple of elements are skipped, but it's worth it.
---
MY SUPERCHARGER SKYLANDERS
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie | *smilie* | smiliesmilie*smilie*smiliesmilie | smilie | smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
*Currently absent*
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#8 Posted: 03:56:45 17/06/2016
one at a time
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#9 Posted: 11:30:41 17/06/2016
First I walk into the store, after that I grab a Skylanders, then I walk to the register, finally I pull out my money and pay.
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
Dark35 Blue Sparx Gems: 931
#10 Posted: 14:23:03 17/06/2016
I buy them by wave
---
Buckshot is fluffy bae.
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#11 Posted: 15:22:25 17/06/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
It depends. For the first 3 games, I got all of the new characters. Now, I only buy the characters I want.

- - -
Roger_swe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1776
#12 Posted: 15:40:38 17/06/2016
Collecting everything in-game. Only got a few chase variants. Still missing the yawn.
---
SSA:37/37, SG:62/62, SSF:75/75, STT:56/56, SSC:66/66, Sidekick,Mini:24/24
AP:8/8, BP:4/4, EP:2/2, RP:4/4, Trophy:4/4, Trap:63/66, Item:33/33, Elite:14/14
Pickle Blue Sparx Gems: 779
#13 Posted: 22:32:36 27/06/2016
only buy one of each, except for favorite like eruptor, pop fizz, trigger happy, stealth elf, and even gill grunt. but other than those i try to get t least the legendaries and lightcores.
---
smilie "So what'll it be, you wan' da appetizer or da main course?!" -Chef Pepper Jack, 2014-2015: R.I.P. (Roast in Piece) smilie
Gentleman Brawl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1050
#14 Posted: 23:03:58 27/06/2016
Basically I just buy the characters that really interest me and that's it, I'm not a completionist.
Unfortunately I cant display all of them at once because I don't have enough shelving so I just display my top favorites.
---
Fancy Skylanders are stronger in this zone.
GamerZack7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1709
#15 Posted: 00:51:12 28/06/2016
Quote: Gentleman Brawl
Basically I just buy the characters that really interest me and that's it, I'm not a completionist.
Unfortunately I cant display all of them at once because I don't have enough shelving so I just display my top favorites.

That's exactly what I do with my collection. Right now I have my SuperChargers, Vehicles and Trophies on display, all of which are arranged in a specific order; there are even empty gaps where the others on my wishlist are to go (I have no idea where to display my eventual Kaos Trophy, however).
---
MY SUPERCHARGER SKYLANDERS
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie | *smilie* | smiliesmilie*smilie*smiliesmilie | smilie | smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
*Currently absent*
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#16 Posted: 01:14:10 01/07/2016
The completionist within me makes collecting Skylanders a difficult task. I need them ALL!

However, I don't feel obligated to collect non "in-game" variants or multiples of characters. I am satisfied with one unopened version of each character.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#17 Posted: 01:23:51 01/07/2016
Every single Series 1, except for in Superchargers. That was a mess.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#18 Posted: 03:45:15 01/07/2016
Only buy the characters I like, when they come out. Game completion is not a factor on my purchases.
No regerts.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Lark Evilmaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1302
#19 Posted: 04:43:30 01/07/2016
Dark(title & element), Undead and variants are top priority. Although I am trying to get them all, I'm trying to make it easier on myself by getting them on sale, used, or just a good price in general.
---
smilie Dark Undead Queen of Skylands smilie
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#20 Posted: 06:47:00 01/07/2016
I normally get the waifu new, usually on day one as they are my favorites. Then I get the rest of the characters on discount either on a fire sale, a collection on ebay or at garage sales. I try to get one of every normal character and I ignore the overly gimmick stuff like elites, mini's, traps and vehicles as I just don't feel like collecting stuff I dislike. So I stick to the figures mostly and I don't care if I miss a dark or a nitro this and that. Reposes are OK usually though.
---
Stay Cool!
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#21 Posted: 12:02:39 01/07/2016
Unlocking heroic challenges got me into collecting the reposes, then I got hooked on completing a collection. Now I have them all including in-game variants. honestly, I have a lot of characters that I've hardly played. It's the same game with a limited collection. If you can't afford them, no biggie.

If you are talking about the latest editions in Superchargers, they are completely different with mostly all new attacks. Lava Lance Eruptor, Deep Dive Gill Grunt, and Bone Bash Roller Brawl are my favorite repeats.
---
Any last wishes?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:08:08 01/07/2016 by Wishblade
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#22 Posted: 00:29:27 03/07/2016
For my "main collection" that I have on display, I always collect one Skylander of each element. For SSA I originally had all series 1 figures but replaced them with series+ figures later on (based on which Wow Pows I thought were coolest, if multiple were available). For Giants and onward I have one gimmicklander of every element on display. With Swap Force I coordinated my swappers so that I have one of every element and movement type (I plan to do the same thing with the senseis and their battle classes). With Trap Team I also display one trap of every element. With Superchargers I also display the vehicle that goes with each supercharger.

SSA: Series 2 Spyro, Series 2 Hex, Series 2 Sonic Boom, Series 2 Ignitor, Series 3 Stealth Elf, Series 3 Terrafin, Series 3 Trigger Happy, Series 4 Gill Grunt

Giants: Ninjini, Eye Brawl, Swarm, Hot Head, Tree Rex, Crusher, Bouncer, Thumpback

Swap Force: Hoot Loop (teleport), Rattle Shake (bounce), Free Ranger (spin), Blast Zone (rocket), Stink Bomb (sneak), Rubble Rouser (dig), Spy Rise (climb), Freeze Blade (speed)

Trap Team: Enigma (and Arcane Hourglass), Short Cut (and Spectral Skull), Gusto (and Breezy Bird), Ka-boom (and Eternal Flame), Bushwhack (and Weed Whacker), Wallop (and Banded Boulder), Gearshift (and Factory Flower), Snap Shot (and Flood Flask), Knight Light (and Shining Ship), Knight Mare (and Shadow Spider), plus the Kaos trap.

Superchargers: Splat, Bone Bash Roller Brawl, Hurricane Jet Vac, Hammer Slam Bowser, Turbo Charge Donkey Kong, Smash Hit, High Volt, Dive Clops, Astroblast, Nightfall.

Any other figures I've gotten are just "for fun" and I keep them stored in a box away from my main collection.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Skylandscaper Emerald Sparx Gems: 3966
#23 Posted: 01:52:33 03/07/2016
I was a "buy one of everything available at retail" collector (no chase variants unless I find one) until Trap Team. Once I saw there were more traps than villians, it was easy to stop myself from buying all variants as I knew I wasn't going to have everything. This Thrillipede thing will probably break my "have all the regular figures" mindset.
---
WANTED: regular Chompie Mage. Can be loose. We will open and play with it like all of our Skylanders.
mR_CaESaR Yellow Sparx Gems: 1310
#24 Posted: 03:18:55 03/07/2016
I usually buy them as it comes per their wave releases (I will layby them though or I think you guys will call it lay away)
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#25 Posted: 19:56:58 03/07/2016
Until now I got all the new ones and only Variants and Reposes I like, though due to space issues I'm quitting the repose thing in general (except if Hex appears one day) and probably not even getting all new ones, since SC made me regret some buys. (I'm looking at you forced reposes)
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#26 Posted: 10:00:03 07/07/2016
When I used to collect em I usually went by either cool designs or dragons
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#27 Posted: 19:36:03 08/07/2016
I only have characters from the first two games, but I have all of them. I only get one figure per character, regardless of base (Never want to trade in my chubby green-based Bash for an orange-based one). I only get varients if I can find one before a regular, which is why I have Molten Hot Dog, but not Regular Hot Dog, as well as Green XBox360 Gill Grunt. I also try to get one of every character, even the ones I don't like that much.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:37:20 08/07/2016 by MugoUrth
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#28 Posted: 06:18:38 10/07/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd

I think many of us are in this boat now. I started doing that by trap team too, though I did get some of the missing figs I didn't have from real good sales later on. It's now much smaller on how many I actually buy. Down to the point of just getting a starter.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#29 Posted: 12:03:55 10/07/2016
Usually when I get the starter pack , I buy what I want first and take it from there . The game itself takes over then pokes me to start completing the collection a bit more .

The in game carrot string portal master levels and trophy awards of Swop Force really made me want to keep buying and buying .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#30 Posted: 19:14:43 10/07/2016
I just get the ones I like and the ones I need to 100% the game.
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#31 Posted: 04:55:04 12/07/2016
I collect all figures that are different in-game (i.e. not chase variants) but I wait for sales. I saved so much on Superchargers by waiting until May to purchase everything. I only payed full price for a few figures (Roller Brawl and Tomb Buggy, Land Racing Pack, Regular Thrillipede) mostly got figures for $5 or less or with the Buy 1 get 2 sale at TRU. I'll probably just get the game for Christmas and wait for everything else.
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
Vertalus Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#32 Posted: 17:54:02 13/07/2016
I try to collect all of the main and some variants that don't cost an arm and leg. So no chase items unless they are cheap. But mostly I go to TRU when they have the sales or Gamestop for the preowned(I don't leave in package anyway)
---
Favorite type Skylander: Feline and Dragon. Still need: Echo, Rocky Roll, the ever elusive dark element trap,and more
jesse217 Blue Sparx Gems: 696
#33 Posted: 21:13:36 13/07/2016
I grab the ones i like, no need to have hundreds of toys just collecting dust, I only get the ones i don't want if there's a deal on them like buy one get one.
---
Currently playing:
Resident evil Revelations, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#34 Posted: 23:19:17 13/07/2016
I just pay full price for characters that I want (mainly the dragons). Everything else that I get is on sale or pre-owned. I usually don't by variants or reposes unless there is something that I like about the figure.
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me