Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > News and Updates > Skylanders TV Series Coming to Netflix
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Skylanders TV Series Coming to Netflix
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#1 Posted: 17:19:12 16/06/2016 | Topic Creator
The animated Skylanders TV series Skylanders Academy will debut on Netflix in Fall 2016 as part of a two season partnership it was announced today.

Quote: Press Release
The series follows the heroic adventures of the Skylanders team, a group of heroes with unique elemental skills and personalities who travel the vast Skylands universe, protecting it from evil-doers and showing the next wave of Academy cadets how to do things the "Skylander way."

Skylanders Academy will feature the voices of Justin Long as Spyro, Ashley Tisdale as Stealth Elf, Jonathan Banks as Eruptor, and Norm MacDonald as Glumshanks. There will of course be many more people providing voices for the series including The Diamond Minecart, Susan Sarandon, Daniel Wu, Parker Posey, James Hetfield, Catherine O'Hara, Bobcat Goldthwait, Chris Diamantopoulos, Jonny Rees, Harland Williams and Richard Horvitz.

[User Posted Image]

The series' showrunner is Eric Rogers ("Futurama") and the animators are TeamTO. Check out a few more of the initial images of the show in our gallery and join the discussion in the forum.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 17:27:56 16/06/2016
Noice, though it's still sooo far. Hopefully we'll get a trailer or pilot.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
MrsSpyro01 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1510
#3 Posted: 19:07:42 16/06/2016
Yay, Spyro! smilie
PopFizzFan5 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#4 Posted: 19:50:20 16/06/2016
The Diamond Minecart is a surprising pick.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 20:31:06 16/06/2016
OH MY GOD YES
BlazeTheDrago Green Sparx Gems: 357
#6 Posted: 21:13:11 16/06/2016
smilie

I CANT TAKE THIS IN THIS!!! AT ONCE!!!!
PhotonTH Yellow Sparx Gems: 1264
#7 Posted: 21:14:12 16/06/2016
Wow,.. I will only watch it if a majority of it is about spyro and or cynder.

I mean I'll still watch it but I won't be nearly as interested. I hope malefor is brought into this too
---
http://atomicphoton.deviantart.com/ go here for my DA
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/photonth64/ for my FA
_________________Please visit and support <3
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#8 Posted: 21:31:11 16/06/2016
Will it only be on Netflix?
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
#9 Posted: 21:48:26 16/06/2016
Quote: PhotonTH

I mean I'll still watch it but I won't be nearly as interested. I hope malefor is brought into this too

Did you read any article or forum post? Cynder is Season 2, Spyro's buddies are the ones you're seeing in screenshots.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:48:55 16/06/2016 by Bifrost
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#10 Posted: 21:49:05 16/06/2016
Isn't it only a couple of months ?

Also yay net flicks, means we'll get at least 10 episodes straight away.
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
Spyro 4 EVER Blue Sparx Gems: 594
#11 Posted: 22:14:33 16/06/2016
Yes, Spyro is back !
---
Spyro forever !!!
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12063
#12 Posted: 08:23:43 17/06/2016
Wait... James Hetfield is going to be in this?!

[User Posted Image]
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#13 Posted: 15:08:49 17/06/2016
FINALLY. I've been saying they needed to do this for at least two years now. It's a great way to add personality to characters whoim don't get the popularity, and its great advertisement.

My son and I will watch it day 1!
-Unreall
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#14 Posted: 15:14:14 17/06/2016
What for those that don't have netflix? *coughMEcough*
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#15 Posted: 15:35:21 17/06/2016
Why does Spyro look like a goblin with only four teeth
#16 Posted: 15:36:51 17/06/2016
Quote: BlackWing116
What for those that don't have netflix? *coughMEcough*

There are places that host episode mirrors. But you have 3 months to get it still, it's only coming out on fall.
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#17 Posted: 15:41:19 17/06/2016
Quote: Dragon Lover

He has looked like that since 2011.

He's cute that way to me. ;3
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#18 Posted: 17:12:28 17/06/2016
Quote: Aura24
Quote: Dragon Lover

He has looked like that since 2011.

He's cute that way to me. ;3

I know, and it will never fail to bother me.

He will never be cuter than his "A Hero's Tail" model, and I will fight you on this. smilie
#19 Posted: 17:51:00 17/06/2016
I rather not. I have my opinion, you have yours.

I still hope we see a trailer soon, or a pilot episode.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:51:38 17/06/2016 by Aura24
LegendaryFlames Emerald Sparx Gems: 3779
#20 Posted: 11:23:41 18/06/2016
I don't like Spyro's look in Skylanders, but he actually looks really cute here!
I'm pretty excited for this c:
---
smilie@Jetbytes everywhere elsesmilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#21 Posted: 00:04:30 19/06/2016
Not gonna lie. Spyro does look pretty cute.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#22 Posted: 00:11:23 19/06/2016
Even thought the design is similar ... I really prefer his design in the show over the games?? Man, he is actually really adorable.
Although I'm not into the games, I'm seriously considering watching this series.

And for those of you who think he is cuter in AHT, he looks cutest in the first three games!! ;o
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#23 Posted: 20:13:21 19/06/2016
@Bolt:

Yeah, I thought the original Spyro looked like a badass, yet cute at the same time. Skylander Spyro in the games, he just looks "whut?" To me, he doesn't look ugly, but I don't really know how to feel about it. But from this screenshot of him in this, he looks cute. Maybe they've tweaked his design slightly for the TV series?
---
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#24 Posted: 21:17:21 20/06/2016
Is it just me or are we being given a sneak preview of one of the Sensais?

If not it seems odd he or she would appear in images advertising the show, which is due out around the same time as the new game.

Co-incidence, i think not.
---
^ You all know it's true
#25 Posted: 21:29:01 20/06/2016
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
@Bolt:

Yeah, I thought the original Spyro looked like a badass, yet cute at the same time. Skylander Spyro in the games, he just looks "whut?" To me, he doesn't look ugly, but I don't really know how to feel about it. But from this screenshot of him in this, he looks cute. Maybe they've tweaked his design slightly for the TV series?

They've tweeked his design since around Trap Team.

TeamTO simply made Spyro a little more cuter~
---
#26 Posted: 22:21:17 20/06/2016
I can't get to like AHT Spyro ever. The fact his horns are as tall as his head and his tail is a Dunsparce's bothers me to no end.
---
Alydol Ripto Gems: 1330
#27 Posted: 23:59:18 20/06/2016
Sorry... the only thing I watch on Netflix is Fuller House smilie
Fan Of Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1417
#28 Posted: 15:10:27 23/06/2016
cool.
---
I'll be on every now and then.
#29 Posted: 09:35:03 24/06/2016
@Aura24: Who's TeamTO?
---
Lys The Dragon Red Sparx Gems: 22
#30 Posted: 20:17:11 24/06/2016
If it doesn't come out in the UK's Netflix, I'll be very mad. I'll also be mad if Cynder isn't a main character in it. She's literally my all-time favourite.
---
Please stop staring at me.
DO A BARREL ROLL!
#31 Posted: 20:48:33 24/06/2016
Quote: Lys The Dragon
If it doesn't come out in the UK's Netflix, I'll be very mad. I'll also be mad if Cynder isn't a main character in it. She's literally my all-time favourite.

Well, they can't make a show based on a single person's tastes. Cynder is confirmed to have an arc for Season 2, since the show works in several character arcs.
---
Lys The Dragon Red Sparx Gems: 22
#32 Posted: 21:19:20 24/06/2016
That's true. Pretty glad she'll actually appear, though.
---
Please stop staring at me.
DO A BARREL ROLL!
PhotonTH Yellow Sparx Gems: 1264
#33 Posted: 17:59:20 25/06/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: PhotonTH

Did you read any article or forum post? Cynder is Season 2, Spyro's buddies are the ones you're seeing in screenshots.

Didn't notice that. Sorry, this is the closest to a LoS cartoon we're ever gonna get. I just love LoSso much.
---
http://atomicphoton.deviantart.com/ go here for my DA
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/photonth64/ for my FA
_________________Please visit and support <3
#34 Posted: 19:56:47 25/06/2016
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
@Aura24: Who's TeamTO?

The team making the Netfilx series.

(But I agree with you completely about the designs!)
---
I draw stuff.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#35 Posted: 02:33:45 26/06/2016
The show is looking so good so far in the Visuals.
Rexy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1313
#36 Posted: 00:06:45 30/06/2016
Quote: Spyro Fanatic
Wait... James Hetfield is going to be in this?!

[User Posted Image]

Haha, I thought the same thing! I can understand him contributing voices for Metalocalypse, but this isn't the same kind of territory at all smilie

Anyway, I was happy about the TV show as a Spyro fan because he's got a big role in it, and now I'm even happier that it's a Netflix series so I don't have to worry about sacrificing my Freeview for it! smilie I hope it turns out well and wish the TV production staff all the best.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#37 Posted: 23:11:20 09/07/2016
I'm going to be watching each season about 10 times smilie
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
MrsSpyro01 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1510
#38 Posted: 19:32:30 12/07/2016
Quote: Luminous35
I'm going to be watching each season about 10 times smilie

10 times? You seem really dedicated to this franchise.
#39 Posted: 19:56:37 12/07/2016
Haha, I tend to watch a show I like around ten times myself. Maybe (hopefully) this could be one of them.
---
I draw stuff.
#40 Posted: 19:59:45 12/07/2016
I have enough trouble watching them once because I suck at keeping up, but I do love coming back to watch for new things I've missed if I have the time. Dunno if it'll be this kind of show though, Eric mentioned they can't afford tons of background stuff because of the high-quality animation budget.
---
TrainerSpyro Green Sparx Gems: 173
#41 Posted: 22:50:53 05/08/2016
I have wanted a movie/ show about Spyro since 1998, but this.... There are so many things that I see going wrong with this. It's obvious the show is directed towards children but I am sick to death of people dumbing things down for kids to the point that it becomes idiotic...
As a die hard fan of cartoons I am irritated when sequels to much beloved originals lose all effort/ originality and resort to obnoxious antics to draw in the younger crowd. That's bad enough but I see shows like this that come right out of the gates with overbearing characters whos exaggerated attitudes are only rivaled by their unnecessarily flamboyant mannerisms I lose all interest immediately. This is something a lot of the games cutscenes already suffer from so I have little to no hope for this show in that regard.
To be more precise I'll include a partial list of things that (in my opinion) absolutely cannot happen if this show has even a dwindling chance of success.
No characters that constantly overreact to everything (no pointless obnoxious screaming, crying, shouting, laughing or vocalization of any kind [Excluding Kaos since it's unfortunately his entire character]). IT'S NOT FUNNY. No characters animated to constantly have actions that are painfully exaggerated (ie, flailing arms or legs, wobbling and or falling for no good reason [Seriously... falling jokes died with AFV and we already get enough from Kaos]). No bratty characters that are marketed to the audience as "cute and loveable" that never get their comeuppance. If you absolutely MUST have a bratty character they cannot expertly thwart the efforts of the protagonists with little to no repercussions. Above all no bodily excretion jokes. Nothing says "My simple mind can't comprehend or create witty, complex humor" like resorting to gags older and more thoughtless than the dinosaurs themselves....
No burps, no boogers, no butts, no farts, no poop and for the love of my sanity... I swear... If the word "Duty" is even uttered....
Ofc this is all my opinion and I have nothing against anyone who enjoys these things..... Just felt like ranting since I know this show is gonna suck.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:14:10 06/08/2016 by TrainerSpyro
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#42 Posted: 14:27:15 06/08/2016
The show is written by the same people who do Futurama, I'm sure the show will be good. Plus, the creator compared it to Gravity Falls in terms of plot structure.
#43 Posted: 14:30:31 06/08/2016
Since you have some clairvoyance ability, TrainerSpyro, could you tell me when we're getting more Imaginators reveals?

I've been following Eric Rogers on twitter for a while now - he's very proud of his work in Futurama, and wants to bring that into SA, and also doesn't seem to like corny and overdone. He's already made sure to tell us he's going for story arcs and not random antics, and a good balance of humor and action that doesn't feel kiddy. From him, I don't think there's much to fear, we' just have to see if from Season 2 foward Activision's higher ups won't stick their hands in thinking they know how to make a cartoon.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:31:50 06/08/2016 by Bifrost
#44 Posted: 20:30:49 06/08/2016
Oh dear. Forgive me. I didn't realize my sixth sense wouldn't warn me of sensitive posters that may take offense to my observation based opinions.

I love Futurama but Eric didn't work alone on that and he won't be working alone on this. Futurama was great because all minds involved shared similar thoughts and ideas which came together to make something amazing. Who knows if we'll be so lucky here. I have complete faith in Eric, but there are many other factors we still have to worry about.
#45 Posted: 20:56:55 06/08/2016
Sorry, but when you come with the statement of "I know it's going to suck" when we don't even have a trailer(even the stray footage from the SS16 event is cut off way too much to be able to draw any conclusions) it's less observation and more guesswork.
---
#46 Posted: 22:08:18 06/08/2016
Quote: TrainerSpyro
I have wanted a movie/ show about Spyro since 1998, but this.... There are so many things that I see going wrong with this. It's obvious the show is directed towards children but I am sick to death of people dumbing things down for kids to the point that it becomes idiotic...
As a die hard fan of cartoons I am irritated when sequels to much beloved originals lose all effort/ originality and resort to obnoxious antics to draw in the younger crowd. That's bad enough but I see shows like this that come right out of the gates with overbearing characters whos exaggerated attitudes are only rivaled by their unnecessarily flamboyant mannerisms I lose all interest immediately. This is something a lot of the games cutscenes already suffer from so I have little to no hope for this show in that regard.
To be more precise I'll include a partial list of things that (in my opinion) absolutely cannot happen if this show has even a dwindling chance of success.
No characters that constantly overreact to everything (no pointless obnoxious screaming, crying, shouting, laughing or vocalization of any kind [Excluding Kaos since it's unfortunately his entire character]). IT'S NOT FUNNY. No characters animated to constantly have actions that are painfully exaggerated (ie, flailing arms or legs, wobbling and or falling for no good reason [Seriously... falling jokes died with AFV and we already get enough from Kaos]). No bratty characters that are marketed to the audience as "cute and loveable" that never get their comeuppance. If you absolutely MUST have a bratty character they cannot expertly thwart the efforts of the protagonists with little to no repercussions. Above all no bodily excretion jokes. Nothing says "My simple mind can't comprehend or create witty, complex humor" like resorting to gags older and more thoughtless than the dinosaurs themselves....
No burps, no boogers, no butts, no farts, no poop and for the love of my sanity... I swear... If the word "Duty" is even uttered....
Ofc this is all my opinion and I have nothing against anyone who enjoys these things..... Just felt like ranting since I know this show is gonna suck.

Oh boy, it's one of those fans....

Jumping into conclusions.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:34:19 06/08/2016 by Aura24
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#47 Posted: 22:38:25 06/08/2016
Look, the bottom line is that we don't know how the show will go until we get a trailer of sorts. Right now we have screenshots and a writer that compares the show to Gravity Falls and Futurama. I'm confident it will be decent. I need a trailer to be sure, though
#48 Posted: 22:53:53 06/08/2016
It's not guesswork. Look at the game series cutscenes. Tell me my concerns aren't valid. You said it yourself that Activision needs to keep their nose out of this one. Do you think they'll do that?

Also Aura, you have to understand that as a "fan" I have watched this franchise make a steady decline in popularity and quality for nearly 20 years. What do you expect me to think? lol

TheToyNerd is right. We don't know what to expect but you can't blame me for being pessimistic. If you don't like my thoughts on the matter then just ignore them. It's not like my angst is going to ensure the series failure so what does it matter to you? lol
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me