Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > All-Purpose Sonic the Hedgehog Topic (25th Anniversary Edition)
First | Previous | Page 7 of 12 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
All-Purpose Sonic the Hedgehog Topic (25th Anniversary Edition)
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#301 Posted: 20:54:45 10/08/2017 | Topic Creator
The Switch version of Sonic Mania has broken street date.

Be wary of spoilers.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#302 Posted: 20:57:21 10/08/2017
Quote: sonicbrawler182
The Switch version of Sonic Mania has broken street date.

Be wary of spoilers.

Hey, can I has Spoiler links

Being honest

I don't really care about spoilers for Mania, since I probs won't get it
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#303 Posted: 21:05:48 10/08/2017 | Topic Creator
I'm not even sure if any actual spoilers have leaked yet.

Just that the Collectors Edition is out in the wild, and because Nintendo hasn't implemented a pre-load system yet, people who pick up the Switch version of the CE can enter their download code and actually play the game because there's no countdown lock like on PS4 and Xbox One.

I'm avoiding spoilers so I won't be posting any links of the sort.
---
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#304 Posted: 01:34:58 11/08/2017
Speaking of spoilers, Sega released the game's opening cutscene:

---
Bruh
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#305 Posted: 11:55:19 11/08/2017
Bless Tyson Hesse and Hyper Potions. ^.^
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#306 Posted: 15:15:23 11/08/2017 | Topic Creator
The Sonic social media team have a special Sonic Mania announcement to make in a minute. This is odd, since they said there would be no more announcements, so it's likely in response to the leaks.

---
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#307 Posted: 15:26:04 11/08/2017
You can only release videos until the 7/7 ingame date and is prohibited from talking about Yusuke's---wait wrong SEGA game.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#308 Posted: 16:41:38 11/08/2017 | Topic Creator
News was as follows:

-PC version has been delayed until August 29th for further optimisation. Anyone who pre-ordered on PC before August 15th will receive a free copy of Sonic 1 on Steam as an apology. If you ordered the PC version of the Collector's Edition, you will still receive it on the 15th, but the download code won't give you Sonic Mania until the 29th. You will still get Sonic 1, though, if you use it before then.

-All other versions will still come out on August 15th.

-They unboxed the Collector's Edition. The contents have been slightly altered - originally, the intent was that the metallic collectors card would have your download code on it. However, this wasn't possible due to the different code lengths on the different platforms. So instead, they have included an extra pamphlet with the download code, and the metallic collectors card will simply be a collectors item. Also, the Collector's Edition now contains an extra, sturdier box inside the outer box. Most of the print (like the game version) isn't on this box so it's meant for display purposes. It opens at the front, and the contents can be neatly displayed inside it.

-The Collector's Edition also showed artwork of one of the Hard Boiled Heavies that was previously teased.

-26 random copies of the Collectors Edition will be signed by Iizuka-san or Hoshino-san. It only applies to U.S versions though.

-The Sonic Mania Introduction Manuals given out at SDCC will be distributed at more events such as PAX West in the future.

-They showed off a new portion of Studiopolis Zone.
---
#309 Posted: 02:18:05 12/08/2017
So, I know we don't know exactly how many zones are in this game, but if it's about 3&K length, I feel like 14's reasonable. I'm-a guess we'll have 10 returning zones (2 per game if we count 3&K separately) and, like, 3 or 4 original zones?
---
#310 Posted: 03:04:56 12/08/2017
There are 12 zones, 8 returning, and 4 new

Slight spoilers
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#311 Posted: 03:16:59 12/08/2017
Is that so? Huh... I'm-a take some guesses then...

We know about Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway, and Flying Battery. I'll guess that Ice Cap or Hydrocity is our 3 representative. As for the other 3, my magic 8 ball says Mystic Cave, Sky Sanctuary, and because absolutely everyone and their mothers are expecting the Death Egg to show up... Metallic Madness is going to be the Eggman base and blindside everyone.

Don't tell me if any of these are right/wrong. I'll know come Tuesday. <.>;
---
#312 Posted: 17:54:05 14/08/2017
Reviews are in, mostly positive.

Then Polygon, in their immense wisdom, complains that a game made to cater to nostalgia relies too much on nostalgia. I mean, this isn't YK, it's 100% marketed and made to be that Sonic game you liked as a kid with a bit of newer stuff.
---
#313 Posted: 17:56:31 14/08/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Reviews are in, mostly positive.

Then Polygon, in their immense wisdom, complains that a game made to cater to nostalgia relies too much on nostalgia. I mean, this isn't YK, it's 100% marketed and made to be that Sonic game you liked as a kid with a bit of newer stuff.

Suprised it wasn't ign

They once gave a review of a pokemon game a point of for "Too much water"
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#314 Posted: 20:30:55 14/08/2017
No IGN reviewed it positively. Very positively, actually. To the point where the author of said review was calling people out on Twitter who were posting "lolz ign hates sanic" memes. <.<
---
#315 Posted: 20:38:47 14/08/2017
Despite the fact it was their company that started "Sonic was never good", so the guy needs to look into the mirror.
That aside, iirc the IGN Sonic reviewer just really hates modern Sonic, not the older games, it was someone else who started that(if not disregard this entire post). Though it's a surprise if he didn't spend a second to complain about Tails and Knuckles since Lost World and other reviews criticized their sole existence so much.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:03:11 14/08/2017 by Bifrost
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#316 Posted: 23:20:30 14/08/2017
After Lost World I've just stopped paying attention to official reviews from publishers. It really seems like a lot of outlets either have no idea what they want in a Sonic game or they're just too lost in despising Modern Sonic to really even warrant any attention(see: GameInformer).

I don't usually dismiss critics but when it comes to Sonic, I already know exactly what I'm going to like and what I'm not going to like so I usually see no point.

Honestly what matters is that both games cater to the fans, and Sonic Team knows both games are going to resonate with fans because it's exactly what the majority of the fanbase wants. If I want an honest review of a Sonic game I'll just go watch SomeCallMeJohnny.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:26:32 14/08/2017 by pankakesparx456
#317 Posted: 02:57:22 15/08/2017 | Topic Creator
I got Mania on Switch, came out at midnight.

Did the first three zones and after that, proceeded to repeatedly speedrun Green Hill Zone Act 1 and made Top 5 on the Leaderboard.

Overall, having a blast. Tight level design with lots to explore, and the Drop Dash is amazing. Lots of cool surprises too (look forward to Chemical Plant Act 2's boss). The Special Stages might be my favourite in the series too.

I'm a bit iffy on the implementation of Blue Spheres as Bonus Stages. You actually need to do them for 100% completion, but it's kinda tedious doing 2-3 minutes of Blue Sphere after every minute or so of normal gameplay.

Still waiting on my PS4 Collectors Edition to ship, but I think the game is great on Switch.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:58:50 15/08/2017 by sonicbrawler182
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#318 Posted: 08:18:40 15/08/2017
is mania any good? i might buy it
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#319 Posted: 21:35:31 15/08/2017
Just got my first Sonic Game in 9 years!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#320 Posted: 14:32:45 16/08/2017
Great game, I loooooooove
Press Garden Zone act 2 in particular
#321 Posted: 18:08:00 16/08/2017
Did a complete run of the game with Sonic and Tails, haven' gotten all the Chaos Emeralds yet.

Overall really great. Hands down the best one since Generations. Great level design, phenomenal music, love the graphics, the new zones are awesome(Studiopolis being the best zone overall imo), probably the only real complaint I have is that the boss fights can range from being really great to really bad(looking at you, Studiopolis boss fight).

Doing another run as Tails and one as Knuckles. Not sure when I'll get to collecting all the Chaos Emeralds.

Also Mirage Saloon has one of my favorite easter eggs ever now. My jaw dropped when Fang, Bark, and Bean showed up.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:08:49 16/08/2017 by pankakesparx456
#322 Posted: 18:30:44 16/08/2017
Quote: pankakesparx456
Did a complete run of the game with Sonic and Tails, haven' gotten all the Chaos Emeralds yet.

Overall really great. Hands down the best one since Generations. Great level design, phenomenal music, love the graphics, the new zones are awesome(Studiopolis being the best zone overall imo), probably the only real complaint I have is that the boss fights can range from being really great to really bad(looking at you, Studiopolis boss fight).

Doing another run as Tails and one as Knuckles. Not sure when I'll get to collecting all the Chaos Emeralds.

Also Mirage Saloon has one of my favorite easter eggs ever now. My jaw dropped when Fang, Bark, and Bean showed up.

Which one?
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#323 Posted: 19:19:37 16/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Oh yeah, just in case you guys didn't catch it, in the true ending with Sonic...

Sonic is sucked into a portal, leaving Tails and Knuckles behind, and makes the same pose Classic Sonic makes in the Sonic Forces reveal trailer.

Also the Super Sonic boss theme has a bit of Fist Bump's melody in it.

And the sound the Phantom Stone makes whenever making Sonic teleport throughout the game is the same sound Infinite makes when he uses his cube swarm attack in his reveal trailer.

Sonic Mania is definitely a prequel to Sonic Forces.
---
#324 Posted: 23:50:42 16/08/2017
Yeah, that seemed pretty evident to me. It's not much of a stretch to think Infinite's the Greater Scope Villain in Mania, seeing as it's very clear the Heavy Emperor(?) decides to ditch Eggman's employ in the true final boss. Heck, he can actually HURT Super Sonic, while Eggman can only be a nuisance. And since the Heavies got their power from the Stone...

...Eh, is it unreasonable to think Infinite will most definitely be the Monster of the Week and our final boss and/or Super form fight for Forces? I think Eggman's gonna get upstaged again. XP

---
#325 Posted: 01:08:12 17/08/2017 | Topic Creator
I wrapped up both my Tails and Knuckles playthroughs and got all of the Gold Medals along the way.

It's worth replaying the game as at least Knuckles because he gets to do some things the other two don't.

One thing in particular...

You fight the Heavy King in the Master Emerald chamber, and it's surrounded by the Super Emeralds, though they're in a de-powered, decayed state. I guess the Super Emeralds are now canon again, though they're kinda useless so that's why they aren't in other Sonic games.

Also you get something cool for getting all of the medals.

When you get all of the medals, a Blue Sphere menu option opens in the Extras menu.

I knew that already, but selecting Original from that option lets you do S3&K Blue Sphere Stages. Also nothing I didn't know.

But the other option is Mania. What happens when you click that? I assumed it would just be some of the new layouts that were featured in the main game, but that's not the case.

Well, remember the mobile remaster of S3&K that Taxman and Stealth pitched before Sonic Mania came to be? If you saw the pitch, you'll remember it had footage of new Blue Sphere stages that had new green spheres and purple spheres.

Well, the Mania option I mentioned is those kinds of Blue Sphere stages.

[User Posted Image]

The green spheres function as blue spheres with two hits, essentially. So a green sphere turns blue when you cross it, and turns red when you cross it a second time. This allows for more complex layouts that weren't possible before.

Purple spheres are teleporters that teleport you to another purple sphere. This allows them to gate off sections of the level and split things into smaller sections surrounded by red spheres.

I don't think you get anything for doing these, but they're fun and quite the challenge, and it's cool to see a remnant of that S3&K remaster prototype in here.
---
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#326 Posted: 01:38:52 23/08/2017
[User Posted Image]

kachinga

This is great for me if it's legit, cause I really want to play this but I honestly don't like digital downloads
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#327 Posted: 15:54:08 24/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Since nobody brought it up yet, a new gameplay style was revealed for Sonic Forces where you play as Sonic and the Avatar at the same time. The leader is dependent on the move being used - Sonic leads when you boost or homing attack, for example, and the Avatar takes over when you are using a Wispon or the grappling hook.

They also uploaded a track for a Metal Sonic boss fight, which is a remix of the Stardust Speedway Bad Future theme from Sonic CD (US Version).

---
#328 Posted: 16:36:41 24/08/2017
So, if Mania had Tee Lopes doing his best 90s pop impression, Sonic Forces is apparently fully embracing (or poking fun at?) the synth/dubstep explosion of the 2010s. Given the US soundtrack for CD had a "darker and edgier" vibe to it compared to the JP one, I'm okay with this remix. But does this mean the JP version will be there too?

Also, gee, that thumbnail image. I wonder who's controlling/buffing up Metal Sonic? Definitely not Infinite, whatever would give you that idea.[/s] I'm really starting to wonder if Eggman's the actual Big Bad in this of if Infinite is upstaging him.

At the very least, I like the Heroes inspiration with the tag-team stages. This whole game is basically Sonic Heroes growing up and going through its angsty teenage phase. Appropriate, since the game will be turning 14 right around the time Forces comes out. XD
---
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#329 Posted: 17:28:15 24/08/2017
I really liked this stage, both outside and inside the pyramid. Also, that's a very nice song. I wanna see what they'll remix for Shadow, Chaos and Zavok.
---
Bruh
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#330 Posted: 02:15:04 25/08/2017
Quote: HIR
So, if Mania had Tee Lopes doing his best 90s pop impression, Sonic Forces is apparently fully embracing (or poking fun at?) the synth/dubstep explosion of the 2010s. Given the US soundtrack for CD had a "darker and edgier" vibe to it compared to the JP one, I'm okay with this remix. But does this mean the JP version will be there too?

Also, gee, that thumbnail image. I wonder who's controlling/buffing up Metal Sonic? Definitely not Infinite, whatever would give you that idea.[/s] I'm really starting to wonder if Eggman's the actual Big Bad in this of if Infinite is upstaging him.

At the very least, I like the Heroes inspiration with the tag-team stages. This whole game is basically Sonic Heroes growing up and going through its angsty teenage phase. Appropriate, since the game will be turning 14 right around the time Forces comes out. smilie

It'll be interesting to find out exactly what's going on with him, Shadow and Chaos in the game. The tag-team stages really are a call back to Sonic Heroes in addition to Sonic Advance 3 and Knuckles Chaotix as they had the tag team system as well.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:15:52 25/08/2017 by Iblistech
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#331 Posted: 04:13:00 25/08/2017
Anyone have any tips for Blue Spheres and Hydro City Zone in Sonic Mania? I haven't had much experience with the Genesis era, so I could use a little help.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#332 Posted: 12:45:00 26/08/2017
Alright, thanks for the tips! I feel like one of the main things for me in this game is that in order to get good, you have to die a lot. After getting a game over for what felt like the twelfth time, I finally managed to beat it. Now that I actually made it through the level, I feel like I could do it again without such disastrous results. Is that just how Sonic is, or games in general? It just feels different with Sonic.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#333 Posted: 15:24:23 31/08/2017
Sonic Forces release date announced, being Nov. 7th, and along with that comes pre-order bonuses for costumes for custom Original Characters.

---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#334 Posted: 15:54:36 31/08/2017
Apparently heavy Magician and Heavy Rider are females

Also, Heavy Rider's Motobug is named Jimmy, assumingly named after the guy who made the Sonic 1 ROM hack where you could play as a Motobug
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#335 Posted: 16:08:42 31/08/2017
Hold the phone... I thought this was aiming for a December release? Sega, you're not really pushing this up are you? I thought you'd learned your lessons here! <.>;
---
#336 Posted: 16:22:35 31/08/2017
****ing Joker the Hedgehog are you kidding me

NiGHTS also still surviving solely through sonic like a symbiote
---
#337 Posted: 16:56:23 31/08/2017
HHHNNNNGGGGGHH THOSE CONTROLLER SKINS

Hold the phone... I thought this was aiming for a December release? Sega, you're not really pushing this up are you? I thought you'd learned your lessons here! <.>;

I'm fairly certain that they were aiming for a holiday release for Forces, and the holiday season usually includes November because it's shopping season for the holidays.

Plus the November release date did get leaked a couple weeks ago so maybe they were planning that already.
---
Cool cool.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#338 Posted: 18:29:42 31/08/2017

It was aiming for a Holiday 2017 release, which technically starts around November smilie

I'm surprised at the $40 price mark tbh.
---
words. letters. filler.
#339 Posted: 18:32:36 31/08/2017
I think SEGA got the memo about the mindless hate over 3D Sonic to lower the price. The game can be really good but Mania was SO good it'll be on everyone's minds even in 3 months when this comes out - and the reviewers love their bias. Making it cheaper at least gets the attention of people just looking for something to have fun with once they're done with Mario Odyssey.

Or I have no clue about how pricing works. Could go either way.
---
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5364
#340 Posted: 18:40:49 31/08/2017
Are the skins detachable, or...?
---
Soon.
#341 Posted: 20:06:07 31/08/2017
I think SEGA got the memo about the mindless hate over 3D Sonic to lower the price. The game can be really good but Mania was SO good it'll be on everyone's minds even in 3 months when this comes out - and the reviewers love their bias. Making it cheaper at least gets the attention of people just looking for something to have fun with once they're done with Mario Odyssey.

It's quite simple, Mania & Forces are 1/3rd and 2/3rds respectively of a "full AAA product." That's why Mania is $20 and Forces is $40. :^)
---
#342 Posted: 03:14:43 01/09/2017 | Topic Creator
Dunno why it isn't in the tweet, but the press release mentions that the Bonus Edition of Sonic Forces also comes with 4 post cards. There will also be a retailer exclusive pre-order bonus that nets you an in-game Shadow costume for the Avatar, though the participating retailers have yet to be announced.

It actually seems to be becoming standard for platformers from AAA studios to be priced at $40/€45. The last few major Sonic games before Lost World were as well. Nintendo and Mario is the exception, not the rule.
---
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#343 Posted: 05:04:53 01/09/2017
Even the other Nintendo platformers (Yoshi and Donkey Kong) have been sold at a reduced price. So it's just Mario that can still sell at full price, really.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#344 Posted: 17:11:38 01/09/2017
If Generations is any indication, I don't think the price is really going to matter in the long run if people keep coming back to Forces like they do Generations. That's of course given that Forces' replayability is as high as that game.
---
Cool cool.
#345 Posted: 19:35:00 01/09/2017
I'm hoping the Steam version will get the kind of mod support Generations got. That would be nice to see. <.<
---
First | Previous | Page 7 of 12 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me