Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > All-Purpose Sonic the Hedgehog Topic (25th Anniversary Edition)
First | Previous | Page 11 of 12 | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
All-Purpose Sonic the Hedgehog Topic (25th Anniversary Edition)
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#501 Posted: 14:28:12 07/11/2017
yeah i'll pass.

i mean mania is worth picking up right??
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#502 Posted: 14:32:15 07/11/2017
Around that price range it is, unless you're a big Modern fan. Forces is looking like a pick up on sale game if you like Sonic in general but don't like Boost gameplay.

Also, I discovered a really disappointing spoiler, holy **** this game is unfinished. Marketing is worthless if you can't deliver on basic hype from the trailers.

My hook was the trailer with all the villains. But you don't fight two of them after making us expect them from the beginning. **** right off.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:39:16 07/11/2017 by Bifrost
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#503 Posted: 14:35:48 07/11/2017
I'm going to be honest here... (spoilering b/c final boss, but please read eventually)

It feels to me like, with the emphasis on some combat and gadgetry (especially the grappling hook), the avatar looks and feels like Boom Sonic was meant to be the third character all along. But (depending on how long Forces has been in development) it was retooled after the negative response to the Sonic Boom games. The Death Egg Robot's first form looks disturbingly Lyric-like in its design this time around. Not to mention, the whole idea of this Phantom Ruby sounds more like something that would pop up in the Boomiverse than the emerald-riddled main games.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#504 Posted: 14:47:31 07/11/2017
So they show off all of these cool villains, and you fight only Zavok and Metal Sonic, you're serious right?

Uhhhhh
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#505 Posted: 14:48:07 07/11/2017
At least Zavok's theme is pretty kickass. <.<

---
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#506 Posted: 14:53:10 07/11/2017
User reviews are up on MC for Forces and are pretty good:

http://www.metacritic.com/game...-4/sonic-forces

Overall generally the same as Colors and Generations. I'm picking up the game today so I'll have my thoughts on it up at some point.
---
Cool cool.
Duke Spike Yellow Sparx Gems: 1669
#507 Posted: 15:12:00 07/11/2017
i'm only 49 minutes away from getting the game (pc)

i'm so excited to play as coldsteel
---
Off to be a Globetrotter somewhere else...
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#508 Posted: 15:20:20 07/11/2017
Quote: pankakesparx456
User reviews are up on MC for Forces and are pretty good:

http://www.metacritic.com/game...-4/sonic-forces

Overall generally the same as Colors and Generations. I'm picking up the game today so I'll have my thoughts on it up at some point.

I don't know if I should trust user reviews but at the same time I don't know if I should trust critic reviews so what should I do
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:20:50 07/11/2017 by Crash10
#509 Posted: 16:46:21 07/11/2017
Wait for SomecallmeJohnny. He's the sanest of his commentary group and he's usually very good to filter his friends' opinions before getting to any conclusions.

edit:

>reads a bunch of spoilers and user impressions on the game to help friend with some decisions

[User Posted Image]

edit2: Final comic is out, Infinite's face revealed!

No really, the sonic twitter straight up posted the previews which seem to assume you played the game, don't look if you don't want to get spoiled.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:57:00 07/11/2017 by Bifrost
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#510 Posted: 20:19:09 07/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Wait for SomecallmeJohnny. He's the sanest of his commentary group and he's usually very good to filter his friends' opinions before getting to any conclusions.

edit:

>reads a bunch of spoilers and user impressions on the game to help friend with some decisions

[User Posted Image]

edit2: Final comic is out, Infinite's face revealed!

No really, the sonic twitter straight up posted the previews which seem to assume you played the game, don't look if you don't want to get spoiled.

Well, Infinite's identity is only hinted at in Episode Shadow anyway. It doesn't come up in the main game at all. smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#511 Posted: 20:26:19 07/11/2017
Yeah, just the preview of the comic already shows everything right off the bat. Pretty underwhelming too.

Like, he's just a random mercenary. It's not a bad story by normal standards, but for Sonic standards he's just plain and kind of an everyman. It'd be great to have this "normal" character be even worse powered up in any other franchise, but in here it's just meh.
---
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5364
#512 Posted: 20:30:38 07/11/2017
Sonic villans in a nutshell
Eggman: Scientist bent on world domination
Metal Sonic: Robot version of Eggman’s greatest adversary
Solaris: Sun god that can pretty much kill everything
Guy whose name is literally Infinite: Some dude I guess.
---
Soon.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#513 Posted: 21:35:16 07/11/2017
Wait, is Infinite someone we met before? Who is it?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#514 Posted: 21:42:21 07/11/2017
Not before this game, if that's what you mean. Not sure if comic or Episode Shadow spoilers, but here's his backstory:

He's a rando that Eggman recruited and Shadow got particularly angry at and beat up real bad. Then he went crazy because this overpowered alien mofo backhanded him - somehow that makes him pathetic? - and decided to stick the phantom ruby in his chest and now he's super powerful and I guess he uses the mask because Shadow told him to never show it around near him again. I think.

It's not even that edgy, MEH. I can't believe Shadow was actually right on twitter, he's just a fluffy kitten... Ok ok, fluffy jackal who hasn't seen ****.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:42:56 07/11/2017 by Bifrost
#515 Posted: 21:51:23 07/11/2017
Not before this game, if that's what you mean. Not sure if comic or Episode Shadow spoilers, but here's his backstory:

He's a rando that Eggman recruited and Shadow got particularly angry at and beat up real bad. Then he went crazy because this overpowered alien mofo backhanded him - somehow that makes him pathetic? - and decided to stick the phantom ruby in his chest and now he's super powerful and I guess he uses the mask because Shadow told him to never show it around near him again. I think.

It's not even that edgy, MEH. I can't believe Shadow was actually right on twitter, he's just a fluffy kitten... Ok ok, fluffy jackal who hasn't seen ****.

So Deathknife is the edgiest character ever? Nice.
---
Soon.
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#516 Posted: 03:02:58 08/11/2017
Finished the game. Holy hell I don't know what to think. My thoughts are all over the place.

First I'll go into what I didn't really like.

This game feels short. Like, extremely short. I finished the whole game in about 3-4 hours, but it felt like half an hour. The game just suddenly came and went. I remember spending more time in other Sonic games like Colors and Generations, and I sure as hell took longer to finish Mania. Only time will tell if I spend more time in this game.

But that sure as hell doesn't excuse this game's difficulty and stage length. This is hands down the easiest Sonic game I've ever played. The vast majority of stages took me about two minutes or less to finish. I was shocked at how easily I was getting S-ranks in this game. I didn't even make an effort to get them, I was just getting them playing the stages how I normally would. And it's a shame, because there are some levels I really had a lot of fun with, and I would've enjoyed more had they just been longer. I'm not asking for Heroes/Shadow/06 levels of long, but these stages definitely could've been more fleshed out. And on "Hard" difficulty no less. The stages also feel really automated at times.

Story-wise this is definitely the best one since Unleashed but it still has some issues. The pacing moves way too fast and there really isn't any moment where anything in the game is fleshed out. Classic Sonic is barely in the plot, and it makes me wonder what the point of bringing him here was. Infinite, for all the hype and build up he got, is honestly really underutilized. He's just kind of... there. The ending is also really anticlimactic. This honestly feels like the Colors final boss fight yet again.

So going into what I liked about the game...

When the level design is good, it's REALLY good. I really got a kick out of Sunset Heights specifically, it's short but it's a really fun stage. Most of the stages do have a little bit of nonlinearity to them, but it isn't super extensive. The avatar stages from what I personally noticed had the most variety simply because of the wispons.

The presentation is great. Graphically, this is the best looking game in the series. All the environments are wonderful and bright, the models for the characters look great. The soundtrack is also pretty great stuff. Sunset Heights, again, is a great track. Most of Modern Sonic's tracks and the boss fight themes are the best in the game. The Avatar's tracks are great, and while Classic Sonic's tracks are off-putting at first, they do grow on you over time.

Controls are decent. Modern Sonic controls fantastically, although there are moments where it feels like the game is basically playing itself because he can feel so automated at times. The homing attack also feels kind of wonky at times. It takes a little getting used to at first, but that shouldn't take long. Classic Sonic controls kind of odd. It feels like this odd mashup of Generations and Mania controls. Thankfully his spin dash isn't nearly as overpowered as it was in Generations, and the drop dash is a nice added touch. The Avatar is kind of in between. The controls are like Modern Sonic without the boost, but there is a delay that can break the pace sometimes. The physics are also noticeably weird in the Avatar stages. Too often I found myself flying off of a ramp or just barely missing a platform because of odd momentum.

Voice acting is overall really great. Not much else to say on that. Or anything else really. Everything else is fine about the game.

Overall Forces is decent. It's not awful at all, but it's not fantastic either. It's really good at best and meh at worst. I did have fun with the game, but only in bursts. If I had to compare it to the other Modern games, I'd personally say it's definitely better than Lost World(and obviously miles better than Boom), and about as good as Unleashed, but I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as Colors or Generations.

If you like Modern Sonic games, you'll like this one fine. But if you didn't care for Unleashed, Colors, or Generations, then I don't see this one changing your mind.

(Might add more to this later, idk yet)
---
Cool cool.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:04:02 08/11/2017 by pankakesparx456
#517 Posted: 01:04:54 09/11/2017
Also, small compliment in a sea of complaint, but I really like the UI design in this game. Even Generations and LW feel like they put too much or too little everywhere, while this is just the right amount of noise.
---
#518 Posted: 04:00:25 09/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Here is my avatar collection in Forces so far.

https://m.imgur.com/a/iyueo
---
#519 Posted: 16:55:08 09/11/2017
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Here is my avatar collection in Forces so far.

https://m.imgur.com/a/iyueo

Woah I really liked your designs. Buuut, just asking, can you save multiple characters or do you have to start a new game to create another avatar?
---
Bruh
#520 Posted: 16:56:41 09/11/2017
You need to beat the story mode to get new slots, iirc.
---
#521 Posted: 16:59:10 09/11/2017
You need to beat the story mode to get new slots, iirc.

Alright, thanks.
---
Bruh
#522 Posted: 18:22:22 09/11/2017
alright I just saw the final boss **** everything about this game
Unless they add more content in the patch there's no salvaging this ending, even S06 had a bigger impact

EVERY. PHASE OF IT. IS A RESKIN.
AND IT'S EGG DRAGOON(from this game), LYRIC AND EGG NEGA WISP
YOU CAN'T EVEN REUSE MECHANICS RIGHT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SONIC TEAM

Edit: Ok then, saw the entire game. Reaction/reviewish impressions.

Huge meh for the majority of it, 2 levels of cool, last 4 levels of No Why Would You Do This.

I can't judge gameplay because I'm not playing, but it does feel off from previous games. Everyone had trouble, especially with boosting just throwing you foward with no drifting. Classic looks like he's sticking to the ground. Avatar is the most sound, but several weapons are super broken and the level design barely uses the mechanics.

Story is the best part but that's not a compliment. Everything is underplayed. All these amazing concepts, no payoff.
Infinite is not edgy enough and is played too seriously for a huge sore loser, gets no conclusion. Eggman goes back and forth from humor to serious in the same sentence. The heroes are just not used enough except for Silver and Knuckles and Silver's presence isn't even explained. Mania didn't need a tie-in so Classic could be so replaceable. UGH TAILS SA2 HAPPENED YOU KNOW. Shadow also just sits there until the end of the game, and let's not get started on Omega(and they paid Mignogna to voice him again, ugh).

But the level and art direction are easily the worst parts. Straight lines with some enemies and plataforming. No challenge for S ranks even on Hard. The SAME themes over and over with different names and very rarely different assets. And the asset reusal from LW, Generations and even Boom is. So. Obvious.
Worst offenders are easily Infinite 3 and Egg Lyric-- I mean Death Egg Robot. You recolor Metal Sonic, and now that the player is expecting it, you just recolor three OTHER bosses with minimal changes?! The ending is such a slap on the face it seriously can sour the entire experience since it's so short. I really hope there's a patch with a REAL boss and a real ending to Infinite.

Songs are as usual good, but it's not all perfect. Classic's themes are just too fake and the final boss theme is just atrocious.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:18:53 10/11/2017 by Bifrost
#523 Posted: 18:43:06 09/11/2017
Finally listened to the final boss music and I’m...
Underwhelmed. Like, I just don’t feel anything other than “Oh no world ending I guess”.
---
Soon.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#524 Posted: 02:47:25 10/11/2017
I've gone through Classic Sonic's Chemical Plant stage, and at this point, I can officially say that...I'm disappointed. Forces had potential to be so much better. The story could've been forgivable if the gameplay was nice, or vice versa, but no; we're left with easy, linear levels and a rather drab plot that passes too quickly. I'll still play it, as it is still half-decent, but I can't help but feel there should've been more.

With that said, I wonder what people think of this compared to Lost World. I've wanted to give that a try, as it does seem...unique, to say the least. What do you say?
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#525 Posted: 04:07:46 10/11/2017 | Topic Creator
I've come to be of the opinion that the gameplay here is extremely solid, except for Classic Sonic, who's level design is arguably the best all around but the physics are buggy.

The story is actually fairly average, it's just a lot better than anything we got in the last few years. It has a lot of immensely interesting ideas but doesn't do much with them. Kinda like the "Tails gets brainwashed but then Eggman runs out of batteries lol" bit in Sonic Colours, except in this instance, there isn't even a punchline. They just drop concepts and ideas almost as soon as they are introduced.

Also, pro tip for anyone missing the drift - your handling while sliding is basically like the drift. I use it all of the time in that one bend in Modern Sonic's Metropolis level.

Also you can save up to 15 Avatars at a time after beating the main story.
---
#526 Posted: 10:55:58 10/11/2017
Lost World is... Unique, yeah, that's the word I'd use to describe. It has similar issues to Forces, but reversed - the gameplay is solid but introduces a lot of mechanics that don't give you time to learn and are immediately dropped, while the story doesn't do anything with itself and except for Eggman and Tails it got quite shallow. I still prefer it overall, though I'd look up some tips on the mechanics and read the ingame manual, it doesn't tell you how to use some things properly with the hint circle.
---
#527 Posted: 11:50:20 10/11/2017
Honestly at this point I feel like my earlier post stating that Forces is really just Heroes in its edgy, teenage phase is 150% true. <.<;
---
#528 Posted: 17:13:31 10/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Did a speedrun of the best stage in the game, also convinced me that the game would 10/10 if it was all Tag Team stages.

Spoilers for a late game stage.

---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:14:05 10/11/2017 by sonicbrawler182
#529 Posted: 11:32:11 11/11/2017
For those curious, SomeCallMeJohnny said the game was basically meh.
---
Soon.
#530 Posted: 00:59:05 13/11/2017 | Topic Creator
I finally got the Platinum trophy in Forces.

Despite some issues, I thought it was a great game. I really hope the next game just builds off of what we got here. More involved, open, and longer level design, no Classic Sonic because we don't need him in the Modern games at this point, and add more to the Avatar creator.
---
#531 Posted: 13:22:20 13/11/2017
I think this was still a fine game. It...just felt like there should have been more, particularly in level design. If that was okay, then I think the rest of the game may have been forgiven.

Spoilers for those who haven't played yet.

I feel like one of the biggest issues with the story is that Infinite isn't given enough background. There are the prequel comics, but they really didn't go into detail about what Infinite had to go through in his life to reach the point that he was willing to subject himself to the Phantom Ruby. There was so much potential, but they blew it.

Besides this, they really told you a lot of things instead of show. The fact that Sonic was tortured for six months, that Eggman had conquered most of the world...we never see any of that happen, which really hurt the believability of the story. We had to start seeing these events happen before their emotional effect could really be felt.

Certain plot points were underutilized as well, the use of Chaos and the others in particular. They could have been major baddies that were actually a threat, but instead, we end up with mediocre boss battles...for only two of them. They should have put a better focus on them if they really wanted to make a game with them.

I was really disappointed with Forces' story, nearly as much as I was with Skylanders: Imaginators'. But unlike SI, I think this one can be salvaged. The concept is there, we have intriguing characters, and most of the events can be used. Sure, you'd have to change some things, but if it means making this a legitimately good story...I want to give it a shot.

Would anyone be interested in a retelling of Sonic Force's story, putting a greater emphasis on the origins of Infinite, detailed events, and a full use of the villains? I can't promise it'll be perfect, but I can sure try.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:23:26 13/11/2017 by zookinator
#532 Posted: 16:18:03 13/11/2017
Zookinator, spoilers :U The stuff about Chaos/the returning bosses could be a significant spoiler, specially.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:21:07 13/11/2017 by Bifrost
#533 Posted: 18:20:01 13/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote:
There are the prequel comics, but they really didn't go into detail about what Infinite had to go through in his life to reach the point that he was willing to subject himself to the Phantom Ruby.

Episode Shadow explains this.

Infinite was working as a mercenary for Eggman, is one day tasked with defending one of Eggman's bases against Shadow, and Shadow beats him up.

Shadow calls him pathetic and that he should never show his face around him again, Infinite goes mental and starts screaming "I'M NOT WEEEAAAAK REEEEEE!!!!", and that's what drives him to accept the Phantom Ruby from Eggman and wear his mask.

Which is hilarious in hindsight considering one of the Twitter Takeover answers. smilie
---
#534 Posted: 20:33:44 13/11/2017
It's funny because it was right.

when the takeover first happened I noticed some people going 'lol Shadow is jealous'. But no, he's right, Infinite is just a kitten who thinks getting beat up by an half-alien is a big deal when everyone already got kicked in the back at least once, his edge is all saltiness

And he is indeed fluffy, since his hair isn't part of the mask.
---
#535 Posted: 22:36:53 13/11/2017
Well, I didn't mean after the prequel comics. I meant before.

Why was he loyal to his squad? Why does he need to prove himself as the strongest? What his life like before he met Eggman? We never saw Infinite for long before his transformation, and I think that knowing his history would be key in making him a better character.
---
#536 Posted: 00:01:47 14/11/2017
Infinite is basically Skull Kid.
No one took him seriously at first, then he put on a mask and got lots of powers. Now the world will end in three days.

- - -
---
Soon.
#537 Posted: 00:17:03 14/11/2017
Don't you think it could be more...deep, than that?
---
#538 Posted: 03:04:44 14/11/2017 | Topic Creator
If I'm being honest, Infinite doesn't need a backstory anyway.

It's pretty clear that the intention with him was to make an intentionally edgy, hardcore villain who revels in the despair of others.

There isn't much backstory you can give him that contributes to that. Having him be a nihilistic mercenary is about as suitable a backstory as you are gonna get.

He could have done without Episode Shadow, though.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#539 Posted: 03:27:10 14/11/2017
So, is Infinite, more or less, a joke character? Should he be taken seriously?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:28:42 14/11/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#540 Posted: 07:31:47 14/11/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
So, is Infinite, more or less, a joke character? Should he be taken seriously?

Just remember...
I’M NOT WEAK
---
Soon.
#541 Posted: 08:20:35 14/11/2017
He didn't need a backstory, but he's so underplayed it sticks out more. There wasn't enough edge, some of his lines are just Liam O'Brien The Character which is slightly OOC.
---
TTD Hunter Gems: 6201
#542 Posted: 21:20:22 16/11/2017
Finished the game the other day. Is it just me or does Classic Sonic seem really heavy? I didn't mind his physics and controls in generations (still not on par with the clssics or Mania) but here he felt really heavy.

I did have fun with the game but at every turn, just as I thought "yeah this game is going well" something just comes and ruins the flow for me. It was fun, I'm not denying that but worth the money? No. But worth a pick up when it's discounted? Yes.
#543 Posted: 13:49:07 17/11/2017 | Topic Creator
I got the Platinum Trophy and got all of my Avatars to Lv. 30 so I'm pretty much done with the game until more DLC comes out.

Here are the Avatars I made.

https://i.imgur.com/9q88V5p.jpg
---
#544 Posted: 02:09:52 13/12/2017
Yo here's the Forces soundtrack tracklist. Remember you can buy it starting today.
---
Bruh
#545 Posted: 02:38:34 13/12/2017
Infinite's full theme is great. I'm so sad the devs teased us with one Sonic Adventure-esque "play the character theme over a cutscene with them" moment and then completely left the track out of the game otherwise. >.>
---
#546 Posted: 18:32:38 21/12/2017
Super Sonic DLC is out in Australia. It's free until the end of January, then it's two bucks to get something every other game gave you for free.

No, it doesn't add anything else.
No, it doesn't make the levels more fun, classic has NO SPEED INCREASE from it.
No, the theme isn't good(at least for classic), it's a ****ty MIDI of Fist Bump that gets eerily close to Dark Brotherhood levels of suck.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:33:57 21/12/2017 by Bifrost
#547 Posted: 18:45:26 21/12/2017
Well I listened to it, and unless I listened to the wrong song, it’s not THAT bad. Then again, I really like Fist Bump.
---
Soon.
#548 Posted: 18:49:56 21/12/2017
This one is the Classic Super Sonic theme, and I already don't like the soundfont they use for his other tracks.
---
#549 Posted: 19:21:56 21/12/2017
Ok, yeah I listened to that and... it’s... not... horrible?
---
Soon.
#550 Posted: 19:34:57 21/12/2017
Well, sure. Probably overreacting, then, but I really don't like it.
---
First | Previous | Page 11 of 12 | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me