Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
RFID Question [CLOSED]
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#1 Posted: 03:48:24 30/05/2016 | Topic Creator
How sturdy are the chips when exposed?

Today I got Sea Shadow in the mail (yay Amazon for having them so cheap), but upon my ritual admiration of my new figure, I noticed an obvious flaw: the RFID chip is peeking out of the bottom! The figure works just fine, and I have no intention of returning it, but I am wondering if there's anything to worry about.

There's no one in the household that would play with it inappropriately (no bath time, for instance) and the only danger would be my cat who likes to try to steal my Skylanders while I play - but he hasn't bothered with the more bulky vehicles yet, other than to bat at Hot Streak since it moves. I'm most concerned that normal moving it from place to place might damage it, since especially with the vehicles, I sometimes drop a toy or two on the carpet.

Do I have anything to worry about? And are there any precautions I should be making for this particular toy?
---
Thank you for releasing me!
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#2 Posted: 10:21:49 30/05/2016
as long the rfid chip cant be bend, put in water, exposed for moisture, extreme heat or strong magnetic fields you are safe...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:22:43 30/05/2016 by CountMoneyBone
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#3 Posted: 12:24:08 30/05/2016
Would you mind maybe posting a pic? I'm curious how much is exposed.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#4 Posted: 13:50:56 30/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone
as long the rfid chip cant be bend, put in water, exposed for moisture, extreme heat or strong magnetic fields you are safe...

Good to know! Just keep it out of the bathrooms and take the same precautions as other Skylanders and it should be fine, it sounds like.

Quote: ninja9351
Would you mind maybe posting a pic? I'm curious how much is exposed.

[User Posted Image]
Here's a picture. It looks like it could be a little floppy, but I don't dare touch it. And yes, it is already creased.
---
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#5 Posted: 22:04:50 30/05/2016
rfid chips are quite durable, they put them in library books all the time. they can be very flexible too, bend them in half and fold them over and they still work. the important part is the part in the middle, that is where the data is stored. the rings on the outside are there to pick up and transmit the signal. it is a loop so if one of the rings is broken it probably wont transmit anymore but the loops are inside the plastic disk. in short, you have nothing to worry about, just dont cut it or take a knife to it. and seeing its position your cat wont be able to do much ether, even if they manage to hook a claw into it i highly doubt they could damage it even if they tried.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#6 Posted: 18:05:20 01/06/2016
That's the antenna of the chip...touching that part is no problem....just don't let it get wet. Being exposed like that the water could migrate to the chip.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
#7 Posted: 19:36:13 01/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Thanks everyone! My question was answered so I'll close this soon.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me