Page 1 of 1
Gimmick Hints [CLOSED]
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#1 Posted: 08:45:22 24/05/2016 | Topic Creator
All right, so there has been a theory that a Skylander from the previous game always hints at the next game. And while this is just a theory, I will admit that there's enough evidence to make me think that this isn't just coincidental.

According to numerous people in this community:
  • Lightning Rod hinted to Giants due to his race being called "Storm Giants".
  • Eye-Brawl hinted to Swap Force due to his ability to separate as one of his attacks.
  • Trap Shadow hinted to Trap Team, obviously.
  • Tread Head hinted to Superchargers due to using a vehicle.

• Since apparently Skylanders 6 is going to be revealed soon, I figured now would be good to speculate what characters could be hinting at for what for this game.

• Astroblast hinting at a Space/Cosmic theme.
  • This one, I don't think would be so much a gimmick as much as just the game's general aesthetic. I for one think that this would be really cool to see, to maybe venture outside of Skylands and visit other planets or worlds. The only problem with this is that I could potentially see it becoming a side-toy gimmick like traps or vehicles. Or maybe not. If they just wanted to have a space-themed adventure with no real gimmick to it I'd be down with that.

• Splat hinting at Colors.
  • This... would probably be the lamest out of the possibilities. The most I could see for this is just having color-coordinated Skylanders who can paint stuff. Not very exciting, even to kids I'd bet.

• BB Pop Fizz, TC Donkey Kong, or HS Bowser hinting at Transformations.
  • All three of these characters have the ability to transform. Pop Fizz into his iconic beast form, DK into Super Donkey Kong, and Bowser into Magma Bowser. And all of these forms are generally stronger than their normal forms. The fact that there are three Skylanders this round with this similarity makes me think that this doesn't make it as likely, but if handled correctly, transforming Skylanders could be a cool mechanic to play around with.

• TC Donkey Kong or HS Bowser hinting at a Crossover.
  • Yeah, these two could also hint at something else. Except definitely not as likely. Because not only would this cause some fan backlash, then these characters would have to still be compatible with every game after this release. And it would probably just steal focus away from the actual Skylanders. Plus, they've also got that Skylanders Academy show coming out, and I doubt they would be willing to get the legal rights to certain characters for it.

• Fiesta hinting at Music.
  • Another possibility that would also be kind of lame. For similar reasons as Splat.

• Smash Hit hinting at Interchangeable Weapons.
  • This seems to be the most popular idea at the moment ever since we got a glimpse at that penguin Skylander. And honestly, even though I think that penguin's just going to be a core or something, interchangeable weapons or gear could be a fun idea to play around with and I wouldn't mind it being the case.

And... that's all I could see.
    But then I also figured what if the hint wasn't in a character, but a vehicle?
    And then I looked and couldn't really see anything that would hint at the mechanic for this game...
    So... thoughts?
    ---
    Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
    Check this out! Please?
    angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
    #2 Posted: 09:26:42 24/05/2016
    Pole Position.

More than characters themselves I rather see hints in other aspects such as others TTL products, kids preferences and unexplored features. Like I mentioned a while ago these are the possible gimmicks could take place imo:

0.5) Battlecast cards: The portal will have a card reader, while the card themselves will unlock a variety of stuff: weapons, improved stats, team ups with NPC / villains, health recovery, autoresurrection, elemental boosts for attacks, etc.

1) Massive crossover with a well known franchise: Amiibos, pokemns, sonic, etc. The fact we already got skymiibos and DI using so popular characters has opened this possibility.

2) Weapons / Armors/ Gadgets /outfits / colors that allow to customize the appearance and skills of skylanders. They could even come up with whatever boosts that turn your skylander into a “super” skylander.

3) New game mode: Sports, shooter, MOBA, etc. The fact superchargers already implemented something like this, as well as TfB not being able to change development once they got the negative feedback from SC makes it possible.

4) New functionality of the portal: Sort of dimensions.

5) Allow you to create and design your own skylands. Sort of toy box and minecraft

6) Classic gimmick: New type of figure with new type of power and the only one to be able to open elemental gates. Whatever you can think of here: Transformers skylanders ( 2 in 1 characters), evoluted skylanders ( your skylander evolutes / grows up and the appearance and powers change through its development)

7) Open world: I don’t think this will happen, unfortunately.
    ---
    Life sucks...and then you die.
    Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:21:59 27/05/2016 by angelg
    Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
    #3 Posted: 09:37:49 24/05/2016
    We could also say Giants were kinda hinted in the SA's Story Scroll about Elder Elementals, and there was a single talking Greeble in SWAP Force which could have hinted at trappable villains.
    But I indeed think developers always put some references about future ideas, as some very special easter eggs.

Really nice analysis, Adam, glad someone decided to make a specific topic!

Let's see:

- Astroblast could be hinting at at that, but as you said I think it would be more a general theme rather than a proper gimmick... Unless the Gimmicklanders themselves all come from different planets (or ended up there, instead of Earth);

- definitely don't see Splat hinting at a specific gimmick but she might be an anticipation of some kind of character customization, just like the various paints for vehicles;

- as I already said, Pop Fizz was already there since Giants and I sincerely doubt he would hint at transformations as a gimmick.
    Doubt they would hint at the new game using guest-stars, but there is still Thrillipede which can transform.
    Kinda.

- same as above, and completely agree with what you said.
    There could easily be new guest-stars but I heavily doubt they would be the focus of the game;

- I honestly don't see anything special with Fiesta;

- while I do think interchangeable weapons are a possibility, I doubt Smash Hit was the one hinting at them.
    I know he has an attack where he basically "transform" his weapon but I think that's a bit far fetched.
    As someone said, vehicle mods could be a better candidate: in-game interchangeable weapons could work even better than physical ones, while also taking away the risk of limiting character design;

- I would personally like to mention High Volt as well, since he might fit well with all the weapon-centered gimmick idea: he also looks like a fierce warrior and shares a big and heavy armor with our penguin samurai.

Can't come up with anything special for Nightfall and Spitfire but I think these are more than enough.

Would also LOVE if SuperChargers' various terrains and more open areas were hinting at some kind of fully explorable open-world where our Skylanders could freely run, swim and fly.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:39:35 24/05/2016 by Drek95
    #4 Posted: 10:00:46 24/05/2016
    Quote: Drek95

Would also LOVE if SuperChargers' various terrains and more open areas were hinting at some kind of fully explorable open-world where our Skylanders could freely run, swim and fly.

This would be awesome.

Regarding the space thing, not really my type of thing. I'm much more a LORT guy than a star wars one.
    ---
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:01:41 24/05/2016 by angelg
    #5 Posted: 10:52:49 24/05/2016
    I agree, I think fantasy suits Skylanders better.

That being said, what makes this series amazing is that it goes from elves, trolls and knights to robots, aliens and cyborgs: I would be really interested in exploring a set of whole new worlds, especially if they are fantasy-like in a twisted and extraterrestrial way (first thing that comes to mind is Pandora from Avatar, but the various levels of the PS2 game Scaler are also near the aesthetic I'm talking about).

http://s71.photobucket.com/use...scaler.png.html
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:04:44 24/05/2016 by Drek95
    #6 Posted: 11:40:11 24/05/2016
    ^Some final fantasy games (FFXIII especially) have this mixture between extraterrestrial and fantasy settings with technology elements throw in as well. I think it could work for Skylanders, as there are pretty no limits regarding level's art work (TT for instance had like all kind of locations).

An avatar setting would be cool as well, it would a very diplomatic choice considering it has nature, technology, spaceships, sword and bows. If one day they decide to go with the open world thing (which I hope they do) it would a be a nice choice, since it offers nearly a bit of everything.
    ---
    shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
    #7 Posted: 12:55:52 24/05/2016
    Maybe articulation because of how the vehicles move
    yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
    #8 Posted: 15:54:21 24/05/2016
    Interesting topic! smilie

Not sure about 'Colour' being a gimmick, but colour-changing Skylanders would be pretty cool - or even just one. A chameleon or something.

Interchangeable weapons are kinda 'meh' to me, unless they do it really well. Seems like that'd encourage a load more humanoid characters, though. Skylanders: Armed Alliance, anyone? smilie
    Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
    #9 Posted: 01:22:51 25/05/2016
    I honestly think the gimmick was not hinted at all in Superchargers. With the reveal of the Penguin/Eagle I have no idea what it is going to be. Maybe just a big adventure with new characters.
    ---
    Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
    Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
    #10 Posted: 04:04:49 25/05/2016
    Maybe we could see some sort of redone version of SSA?

I know its not gonna happen, but thats what I would personally like to see.
    ---
    Summoning a STUNFISK
    1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
    4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
    Rovaulin Green Sparx Gems: 447
    #11 Posted: 04:41:41 25/05/2016
    I have no idea what this one could be about! But what ever it is I hope it kinda shakes things up a bit. Having a fully open world like Drek said would be pretty amazing, as long as they kept with the linear story. I think that works best for Skylanders.

I always though it would be cool to have Element-less Skylanders, and the portal master has the ability to change their element (and therefore their abilities) by putting a elemental crystal into the figure. But I don't know how well that would work, seeing as how integrated the characters are with their elements.

-Rov
    ---
    Hey there! I don't comment much, but I'm always watching! =)
    -Rov
    #12 Posted: 07:35:09 25/05/2016
    Quote: shadowfox
    Maybe articulation because of how the vehicles move

Personally, I would love to get articulated skylanders. I'm not sure, but I think Activision has already been asked about this and they gave an answer that was a bit discouraring (can't remember any more details, sorry).

It would also be nice to have some figures with some kind of action, the same way Buzzwing can expand and flap it's wings. Last year's they said they were "proud" of how the movable parts of the vehicles provided a better way for kids to interact with the toys., so I don't see it as something impossible.

Quote: Rovaulin
    I have no idea what this one could be about! But what ever it is I hope it kinda shakes things up a bit. Having a fully open world like Drek said would be pretty amazing, as long as they kept with the linear story. I think that works best for Skylanders.

I always though it would be cool to have Element-less Skylanders, and the portal master has the ability to change their element (and therefore their abilities) by putting a elemental crystal into the figure. But I don't know how well that would work, seeing as how integrated the characters are with their elements.

-Rov

From a pure gameplay point of view, the elemental variation could work. I don't see it as somerhing difficult to implement and it would grant new ways of going thorugh the levels. What worries me though, is how it would affect the lore, I mean seeing Knight Light as a water skylander would kind of disrupt his image of "celestial being".

Maybe not a elemental variation, but rather the possibility of "adding up" elements thorugh some kind of magic artifact (like the crystals you mentioned) for a limited amount of time, and then go back to their single inherent element.
    ---
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:42:42 25/05/2016 by angelg
    Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
    #13 Posted: 10:17:12 25/05/2016
    We could also say Giants were kinda hinted in the SA's Story Scroll about Elder Elementals, and there was a single talking Greeble in SWAP Force which could have hinted at trappable villains.
    But I indeed think developers always put some references about future ideas, as some very special easter eggs.

Really nice analysis, Adam, glad someone decided to make a specific topic!

Let's see:

- Astroblast could be hinting at at that, but as you said I think it would be more a general theme rather than a proper gimmick... Unless the Gimmicklanders themselves all come from different planets (or ended up there, instead of Earth);

- definitely don't see Splat hinting at a specific gimmick but she might be an anticipation of some kind of character customization, just like the various paints for vehicles;

- as I already said, Pop Fizz was already there since Giants and I sincerely doubt he would hint at transformations as a gimmick.
    Doubt they would hint at the new game using guest-stars, but there is still Thrillipede which can transform.
    Kinda.

- same as above, and completely agree with what you said.
    There could easily be new guest-stars but I heavily doubt they would be the focus of the game;

- I honestly don't see anything special with Fiesta;

- while I do think interchangeable weapons are a possibility, I doubt Smash Hit was the one hinting at them.
    I know he has an attack where he basically "transform" his weapon but I think that's a bit far fetched.
    As someone said, vehicle mods could be a better candidate: in-game interchangeable weapons could work even better than physical ones, while also taking away the risk of limiting character design;

- I would personally like to mention High Volt as well, since he might fit well with all the weapon-centered gimmick idea: he also looks like a fierce warrior and shares a big and heavy armor with our penguin samurai.

Can't come up with anything special for Nightfall and Spitfire but I think these are more than enough.

Maybe if it was Interchangeable Weapons or Armor, maybe you can change the designs and their color and Splat could hint at that. Just thinking out loud here.

Did anyone think of High Volt being the hint to the gimmick? I mean, if it is "Warriors" or whatever, something to do with fighting, it could very well be High Volt.
    ---
    smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
    smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:46:08 25/05/2016 by Luminous35
    #14 Posted: 11:09:55 25/05/2016
    Yep, I said it in my post.

He has a very big and heavy armor, just like the leaked penguin, and a pretty powerful weapon as well.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
    #15 Posted: 18:22:25 27/05/2016
    I thought maybe if they did weapon swaps it could be in-game like the vehicle mods.
    Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
    #16 Posted: 18:38:34 27/05/2016
    Personally I'm predicting no gimmick this year. I'm thinking they need to return to their roots this year and give us another S.S.A. like experience except with a few personal touches. Plus with Infinity officially no longer a contender they simply need to focus on making a game that people will want to play. The gimmicks haven't progressed the brand any. Since the gimmick never carries forward it's proving to be a waste of developer resources anyway. So no gimmick just a great game is what I believe is needed at this point. Otherwise they might as well just hand the torch off to Lego and bow out respectfully.
    Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
    #17 Posted: 18:54:29 27/05/2016
    Penguins, obviously
    ---
    I'M A KAMEN RIDER
    //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
    #18 Posted: 18:57:07 27/05/2016
    The more I think about it, the more I believe battlecast cards will be part of the gimmick.
    ---
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:27 27/05/2016 by angelg
    #19 Posted: 21:56:54 27/05/2016
    Quote: angelg
    The more I think about it, the more I believe battlecast cards will be part of the gimmick.

I've been thinking this for a while as well.

Not necessarily because they have done a single event both for Battlecast and Skylanders 6 (even if that does help) but mostly because of all the attention they are giving to the cards game and partially also because I think TfB would either try to create a truly creative gimmick and not create one at all, since I think cards could potentially turn out to be much more interesting than exchngeable weapons for example.

How would cards work, though?
    No idea.

Maybe give new powers to their respective characters or to all the Skylanders of a certain Element, or even unlock special equipment which could be used by anyone.
    Could be but I think that would't still be enough.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    #20 Posted: 22:18:47 27/05/2016
    Quote: angelg

I've been thinking this for a while as well.

Not necessarily because they have done a single event both for Battlecast and Skylanders 6 (even if that does help) but mostly because of all the attention they are giving to the cards game and partially also because I think TfB would either try to create a truly creative gimmick and not create one at all, since I think cards could potentially turn out to be much more interesting than exchngeable weapons for example.

How would cards work, though?
    No idea.

Maybe give new powers to their respective characters or to all the Skylanders of a certain Element, or even unlock special equipment which could be used by anyone.
    Could be but I think that would't still be enough.

Exactly, battlecast is being given more attention than I expected. The fact they have delayed it so much in the majority of countries makes me wonder if it's caz there is a close link between both games and they want to use battlecast as a marketing tool for sky 6.

I could see a card reader in a new portal (or other kind f technology which manages to read the card and loading it to the game) and unlocking some kind of boost like you mentioned: weapons, improved stats, team ups with NPC/ Villains, health recovery, autoresurrection, elemental boosts for attacks, etc.

Damn it, the more I think about it, the more plausible it seems. Gonna edit my previous post to add this as possible gimmick.
    ---
    Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:29:08 27/05/2016 by angelg
    #21 Posted: 00:12:15 28/05/2016
    I still think it wouldn't be the kind of gimmick I am hoping for (I honestly hope for no gimmick, to be honest) but I would sincerely like something like that, if handled well!

I guess it would be an interesting concept to add replayability, and could also be 100% optional: it might motivate me to get some cards, after all.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me