Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > What if Skylanders dropped the toys as a whole?
Page 1 of 1
What if Skylanders dropped the toys as a whole? [CLOSED]
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#1 Posted: 00:41:25 17/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Title says it all. What if Skylanders stayed the exact same, but dropped the toys and made characters available through DLC?

I think it COULD work, IMHO.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 00:46:06 17/05/2016
Then it'd just be a wallet destroyer for the sake of it. Skylanders' appeal is that it's physical DLC so you still have something when you're not playing, if that's taken away it's just a very greed-driven game with no appeal compared to every other dungeon crawler and 3D plataformer out there. Wallet speaks louder than any good character design when everything is locked behind a digital store, even if each costs like a dollar.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:48:18 17/05/2016 by Bifrost
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 00:50:53 17/05/2016
No.
The toy itself is just one of the reasons.
The fact toys store experience, gold and upgrades is another: how would it work without physical support...?
I guess lore implications would come into play as well.

Skylanders simply couldn't stay "the exact same" without the toy-aspect.
It might get modified, reduced or even tossed aside for more in-game innovations but I strongly doubt it will be fully removed.

For example I could see a way to freely play your already scanned characters without actually needing a physical toy to be on the Portal, just like in the 3DS versions.
They could even make it harder and more strategic by limiting the number of Skylanders you can use inside a level.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:55:52 17/05/2016 by Drek95
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#4 Posted: 00:52:58 17/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Great points so far. While I think it could work, I'd much rather keep the toys a thing.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#5 Posted: 02:44:17 17/05/2016
Four reasons why I don't want Acti to go full digital:

1. DLC is a ripoff for the most part. It's like League of Legends, comparing digital skylanders to champions.

2. Skylanders is like collecting Funko vinyl figures except they have a use in-game to play around with.

3. You can save data on the figure to use on another system or with a friend so you don't have to start all your progress over.

4. There are multiple uses for all figures, like customizing and displaying in elegant ways to name a few. I sometimes use figures as game pieces for board games. I also have an idea for a DnD-style game involving figures like Skylanders, which I'll talk about later.
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#6 Posted: 03:14:10 17/05/2016
It wouldn't be Skylanders without figures...
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#7 Posted: 04:22:57 17/05/2016
I'd say if Skylanders didn't build itself up as being a toys-to-life franchise, then the only issue I'd see is how many characters there are to have in-game and make all backwards compatible.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#8 Posted: 07:54:25 17/05/2016
The toys are an integral part of the series and I would be deeply disappointed if they went all digital.
---
#all Spyros are valid
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#9 Posted: 11:47:11 17/05/2016
It could work.

But if they did that, it would make me drop the series cause the toys are what make it what it is.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#10 Posted: 12:00:56 17/05/2016
That said, the mobile games already work just fine with rental/digital Skylanders, but they're spinoffs or ports. A main game without figures would be interesting to see(maybe a more story-driven one so the toys don't eat up development time, inb4 Telltale licensed game), but dropping toys forever definately not.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:01:24 17/05/2016 by Bifrost
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#11 Posted: 12:31:14 17/05/2016
I wouldn't like to not have the toys anymore tbh, that's one of the things that set them apart from the rest of the games.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#12 Posted: 12:50:50 17/05/2016
If you took away the toy element you have a very unimpressive game if its compared to something like Skyrim .

Its a combination of toys and game that makes the magic .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#13 Posted: 14:00:05 17/05/2016
Then it would fail.

Although, I would like it if they made characters from games such as Spyro's Adventure online DLC for the people who cannot find the characters because they are no longer being produced.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#14 Posted: 15:05:21 17/05/2016
I don't think it would work.

The whole point of the "Toys to Life" Franchise is that they're physical toys which come to life in a video game. Removing the core aspect of it would simply make it exactly like most other games with DLC except that the entire playable roster has to be paid for with nothing really to show for it.

I'm assuming myself and others (including parents) are in the same boat where they only reason I buy these things is because I'm "getting" something out of paying for it. I'm getting a physical toy that also happens to do things in a video game.

Now I will say it appears they tested that theory with the Instant Skylanders, but I'm not sure if we've ever been able to get data on how well those things sold for the game.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#15 Posted: 15:06:38 17/05/2016
The only reason I think they would still make games without the toys is if they have THAT MUCH BACKSTOCK for retailers to sell.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#16 Posted: 15:52:09 17/05/2016
Having physical toys meant that you could go take them around your friends house and play there. I'm pretty sure this was a big thing back in the SSA days! smilie
DragonShine Yellow Sparx Gems: 1539
#17 Posted: 20:03:45 17/05/2016
It would feel like a rip off. Where you have to pay for characters digitally and might not get access to down the road if the servers stop. I feel like selling DLC as figurines is the best way to sell DLC.

- You are not dependent on servers or accounts to access your DLC.
- You get a neat toy to play with and display.
- You can use your DLC at a friend's house.

I prefer my DLC offline.

The toys feel like a big part of skylanders and in a way tie in with the universe/story.
---
Still trying to recruit to my dragon army:S2 Bash, S2 Zap, Thorn Horn Camo, S1 Whirlwind,s1 Cynder
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:04:59 17/05/2016 by DragonShine
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#18 Posted: 01:38:56 18/05/2016
Characters as DLC means that you would need to re-buy character in subsequent games. Sure, there are ways around this but they involve effort from the developers to implement so you can pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't bother.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#19 Posted: 12:28:17 19/05/2016
I feel like that would almost defeat the purpose of the games, but not completely. Still, I would prefer them to keep them in, as I really enjoy them.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#20 Posted: 05:23:42 20/05/2016
No, i like skylanders because of the toys part. While I do enjoy the games, the toys are neat.
Gentleman Brawl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1050
#21 Posted: 01:28:20 02/06/2016
Well then it wouldn't really be toys to life now would it...
---
Fancy Skylanders are stronger in this zone.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me