darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Will You "Day One" Skylanders Imaginators or Will You Wait for a Sale?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Will You "Day One" Skylanders Imaginators or Will You Wait for a Sale?
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#1 Posted: 18:38:40 16/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Although it's probably too hard to give an answer until we get to see the theme for the year, do you feel that you'll wait to get the next Skylanders game on the cheap or will you day one it?

I day one'd Swap Force and Trap Team and don't regret spending a small fortune on them. They ended up being pretty fun and memorable. SuperChargers I didn't care for right from the start so I waited about 2 weeks before breaking down and getting a $25 disc on ebay. I had fully intended to get a discounted set on Black Friday but by that time I was already bored to tears of the game and had no desire to own a proper starter set. Now I am not even interested in the under $20 sets on amazon for the starters or any of the fire sale figures for my Skylanders collection. I'm trying hard to forget SC.

I believe that with Sky 6 it really depends if they release a Splat-like must have waifu on day one. Both SF and TT had such characters for me on day one. SC had Stromblade of whom I was "meh" about. Also a factor is if the new game is more like the pre-SuperChargers games. If it ends up being some cross-concept like Olympics or Sports Skylanders, then I will surely wait for a very super cheap to get months down the line (assuming I would even buy a sports concept Skylanders game). Still it's going to be hard to spend $75 for a starter unless they really knock it out of the park with a killer concept, I just may get the interesting figures on day one and then the game/starter later on for a song.
---
Stay Cool!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:12:27 01/06/2016 by fairyland
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#2 Posted: 18:43:39 16/05/2016
Usually, I wait a bit to get it cheaper, I have done that with the past games (SA for 40 euros, swap force for 13 euros, TT for 30 euros and superchargers for 22). Now that I have a job though, I'll probably buy it soon enough.

However it also depends on which figures are they gonna be included in the starter pack, I don't need another stealth elf or gill grunt, so I'll think it twice if these figures are not of my tastes.

As for the figures, the ones that I like most I usually buy them new, while the rest (the ones that a like less), I either buy them second hand or wait for a few months until there's a good promotion.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:44:50 16/05/2016 by angelg
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#3 Posted: 18:59:26 16/05/2016
Depends.

Well, no matter what I'm waiting until next year to consider getting it. I prefer to get Skylanders games later so I can play using the new characters I like.

I'll have to look into whether I'll get it at all, though. I only liked SSA for its personality and the fact that it was something new, and Giants and Trap Team felt stale. Unless TFB takes a page out of VV's book (which I doubt they will since it looks like I'm in a minority by liking Superchargers better than other Skylanders games) I might just skip it and buy the figures when I get Skylanders 7.

Whether there's a chance I'll get the characters new and not on sale depends on their retail price. I set my foot down at the price of cores from Giants-Trap Team as my absolute limit to how much I'll pay for a figure. If they're the price of Supercharger characters or Gimmicklanders, on sale or used it is.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#4 Posted: 19:02:49 16/05/2016
Will probably go Black Friday sale for Sky 6. Unless the game is REALLY good.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#5 Posted: 19:09:51 16/05/2016
I'll most likely pick it up at the midnight release as I did with Trap Team and Superchargers. If not I'll just go to the store as they open to pick it up.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#6 Posted: 19:12:15 16/05/2016
Depends if plot looks like it matters or not. I always make sure to save up, but with insenstive people when it comes to spoilers like NintendU and FGTeeV around, I don't want to use Nospoiler youtube links for two months straight for a fairer price.

Trying to see if I can get a relative's friend that goes to the US regularly to get me a starter pack at the first month, week if possible. If not, pray to Eon for Digital Owners, or swallow the salt and import with full on 60% eletronics tax.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#7 Posted: 19:17:44 16/05/2016
Day one, just as always. I've done it for 4 years now, and it's worked well for me.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:17:54 16/05/2016 by Chompy-King257
KingDedede Red Sparx Gems: 59
#8 Posted: 19:50:21 16/05/2016
Depends on how the game looks. If it looks like a return to form for the series I will get it Day one.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#9 Posted: 21:21:24 16/05/2016
Eh... If I am completely in love with it, Pre-order. Otherwise I'll wait a while or take a break, like I did with SC.
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#10 Posted: 21:22:59 16/05/2016
Sale, as I have for all of them other than Giants.
GaiaMemories Emerald Sparx Gems: 3753
#11 Posted: 21:52:56 16/05/2016
Figures on day one, wait until after Christmas to grab the starter.

Though I doubt I'll be able to stick with it, heh.
---
Hahahahaha
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#12 Posted: 00:59:11 17/05/2016
Day one, forever and always <3
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#13 Posted: 01:01:18 17/05/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Yep. We're day-oners for life. The only game I didn't day-one was SSA, but that's because I only got into it half way through it's lifespan.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#14 Posted: 01:30:18 17/05/2016
Depends on the idea. If it strokes my interest, day one...otherwise Black Friday or whenever the sales hit. These type of threads are far from interesting however. What else can really be said?
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#15 Posted: 02:00:15 17/05/2016
It depends if we "need" to get multiple Starter Packs again. If it is the case, I will wait on discount for the extras packs. If we only have a regular + Dark edition, i'll buy both day one.
---
bye
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#16 Posted: 03:15:49 17/05/2016
I will probably Day One it. I find the wait is long enough. I will however will only buy the figures I really want first and by others once they are reduced.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
HuskerfanChuck Yellow Sparx Gems: 1225
#17 Posted: 03:29:19 17/05/2016
Day one for all games here on out.
---
HuskerfanChuck

Repping the Light, Huskers, and Nebraska!
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#18 Posted: 03:44:16 17/05/2016
In the first couple of weeks if the game looks more like the earlier versions. If it's vehicle or sports focused (surely it can't be) then NEVER.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#19 Posted: 04:21:43 17/05/2016
I actually might wait. But I'll wait until we get actual info on the game first.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#20 Posted: 06:31:44 17/05/2016
depends on the gimmick, use for previous toys, and what else is releasing around the same time ( also saving for an NX, and a new phone that isn't a pos )
Starlight_Shine Yellow Sparx Gems: 1088
#21 Posted: 13:38:55 17/05/2016

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D

----
AmiiboMaster Blue Sparx Gems: 804
#22 Posted: 18:39:05 17/05/2016
I'll wait for a sale.
---
Gimme all your Amiibos

and Skylanders BTW!
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#23 Posted: 02:24:00 18/05/2016
Most likely waiting for a sale or maybe Christmas.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#24 Posted: 04:55:18 18/05/2016
The problem with waiting is the availability of characters. At SF and SC it was good, but at TT it was horrible.
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#25 Posted: 07:04:57 18/05/2016
Quote: Jeriba
The problem with waiting is the availability of characters. At SF and SC it was good, but at TT it was horrible.

Trap Team also had straight up distribution problems....I never saw half the toys in any store, more importantly I never saw any of the light & dark element toys anywhere. I had to pay $120 on eBay to get the light & dark expansion packs smilie still waiting on affordable Spotlight & Blackout figures....plus, the whole multiple trap designs concept was a terrible idea and they never even released the Yawn Traps in most regions for those who wanted to collect them all.
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#26 Posted: 22:20:20 18/05/2016
i'll probably day 1 game or at least the characters... I want to see a character list this time because usually I wait until I know who my team leaders will be for the game and that I can unlock everything within the first play through as well. I always have a team leader for each element, but it always seems one team leader is waiting for that LAST wave.

Giants - Ninjini
Swap Force - doom....stone? (i think i rarely forget skylander names but.... sorry)
Trap Team - Enigma
Superchargers - Bone Bash Roller Brawl.
These all being that last character I had to wait for before I felt I could truly play the game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:20:41 18/05/2016 by Street50
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#27 Posted: 22:27:53 18/05/2016
After the dissapointment of Trap Team and SuperChargers i'll most likely wait untill its really cheap.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
84skylanderdude Platinum Sparx Gems: 5528
#28 Posted: 22:41:43 18/05/2016
I'll always get the game on release.
---
“No one knows what the outcome will be. So, as much as you can, choose whatever you'll regret the least.” - Levi Ackerman
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#29 Posted: 03:24:09 19/05/2016
Probably day 1 even knowing they go on sale frequently.
I mean it can't be any worse than SC, right?
---
#all Spyros are valid
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#30 Posted: 12:16:00 19/05/2016
Definitely day 1. Ever since Swap Force (I came in mid Giants) I have preordered it and bought it day one. I also have hopes that it will peform better than SC.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
shadyspyro567 Green Sparx Gems: 298
#31 Posted: 12:16:26 19/05/2016
I'm preordering it so i need to get it on day
---
I AM KAOOOOOOOOS
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#32 Posted: 06:39:20 20/05/2016
Prob pick up the game and a few figures on day 1, hold receipt for a sale. Pick up nitro etc store exclusives day 1 also. Superchargers had an ok midnight turn out, less then past games but even store employees were telling ppl not to buy so and so cause it was one from past games but back etc.

I did like the variant hot rod thingy, as annoying as it was to find one for me it was a cool toss in.
bladewolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1211
#33 Posted: 08:52:31 20/05/2016
I would prefer to wait until some kind of sale due to the numerous figures I would want to get. It enables me to get more for less and get them far quicker once I have the game rather than waiting a month before getting more.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#34 Posted: 13:11:28 20/05/2016
...Day 1 I've typically been able to get the game/figures for anywhere from 25-50% off, the sales that beat day 1 are usually MONTHS out. So I will most likely Day 1.

HOWEVER

I'm retired from TTL for now, with DI closing shop, LD being kind of expensive, and Skylanders just not doing it anymore (the magic is gone for us). So while I most likely wil lget the game Day 1, I have no expectations of "getting everything" or "worrying" about anything.

In a weird way, its because of chase figures, with al lthe effort I've gone through, not once have I seen one in store, and have even talked to people in the sales force who buy them before they hit the floor. The magic of hunting is simply shot at this point...so I don't care to spend money on figures I most likely won't play as. The game itself is the length of a traditional game, so spending $400 on it just seems like a bad move.

So I'll Day 1 the game and a few figures, and most likely stop there. Collector days are over, but the day one deals will take a while to beat.
-Unreall
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#35 Posted: 14:15:46 20/05/2016
Quote: Unreallystic
...Day 1 I've typically been able to get the game/figures for anywhere from 25-50% off, the sales that beat day 1 are usually MONTHS out. So I will most likely Day 1.

HOWEVER

I'm retired from TTL for now, with DI closing shop, LD being kind of expensive, and Skylanders just not doing it anymore (the magic is gone for us). So while I most likely wil lget the game Day 1, I have no expectations of "getting everything" or "worrying" about anything.

In a weird way, its because of chase figures, with al lthe effort I've gone through, not once have I seen one in store, and have even talked to people in the sales force who buy them before they hit the floor. The magic of hunting is simply shot at this point...so I don't care to spend money on figures I most likely won't play as. The game itself is the length of a traditional game, so spending $400 on it just seems like a bad move.

So I'll Day 1 the game and a few figures, and most likely stop there. Collector days are over, but the day one deals will take a while to beat.
-Unreall

The only chase I've ever found was a bronze Roller Brawl this year, and it is well documented those were crazy common. I ended up opening her from the package recently to go with the other "metal" Skylanders. That's the thing, if they were more common, people wouldn't really care that much. It is all about the rarity with chase variants. Take Amiibos for instance, a year ago anything was in high demand - even characters no one really cares about. But now they are common since Nintendo caught up and they sit on shelves. Rarity builds demand.

I did also see a copper High Volt in store with TakeYourLemons (which he got, he has been more into those things anyways).
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#36 Posted: 15:21:11 20/05/2016
Day 1 has sales, so I will still do that. I won't be doing anymore midnight launches. I did them for previous 3 launches and the crowd has been less each time. Additionally, I went to TRU at 8am and there was no crowd at all. Just myself, with my son, and another guy with 3 kids. They only bought a starter pack and a couple of figures. I would consider doing another midnight launch, but that sale would have to be amazing. And, it can't be some stupid pre-order nonsense. There won't be any reason to pre-order Sky6.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#37 Posted: 17:20:20 20/05/2016
Quote: newkill
It depends if we "need" to get multiple Starter Packs again. If it is the case, I will wait on discount for the extras packs. If we only have a regular + Dark edition, i'll buy both day one.

As one of the skylanders said "you got burned" and so did they on this scam. I refuse to participate in that but I am fine with ONE regular starter and ONE Dark if they are still doing the same old thing. I'm hoping for "fresh and new" across the board however.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#38 Posted: 19:45:35 20/05/2016
Quote: defpally

HOWEVER

-Unreall

The only chase I've ever found was a bronze Roller Brawl this year, and it is well documented those were crazy common. I ended up opening her from the package recently to go with the other "metal" Skylanders. That's the thing, if they were more common, people wouldn't really care that much. It is all about the rarity with chase variants. Take Amiibos for instance, a year ago anything was in high demand - even characters no one really cares about. But now they are common since Nintendo caught up and they sit on shelves. Rarity builds demand.

I did also see a copper High Volt in store with TakeYourLemons (which he got, he has been more into those things anyways).

I agree, but with the sheer volume of skylanders I('ve been through, purchased, the release dates for waves I have snuck out to, the "associates" I've "built with", I've just reached a defeatist attitude about it, and part of the magic WAS "going Skylander hunting", when we were new to the series, it was great as some characters were just hard to get a hold off. Now that we are vets, have everything non-chase etc (well we don't have everything this year, mid release I said "No More" in my best Wanda Maximoff voice), the only reason to go hunting is for chase variants, and when they NEVER pop up, and the one or two times they passed through the stores you frequent - you know for a fact that employees got them first as they bragged about how much they can resell them for =/

I still walk past the skylander sections at TRU, BB, Walmart, Target, etc with a "glint" in my eye that there maybe a random chase. I've got no plan to resell or anything, I'd actually take it out the package - its just cool. But without that magic and allure the game has just devolved and interest has dropped HARD...I don't feel like getting up early to dash to TRU to see if they have any of the statue of liberty chases again. Most likely sky6 wil lbe the last one we even purchase unless something GRABS my family hard on it. But I like sales, and day 1 sales are usually where its at! So I'll walk into TRU around lunch time, after a trip to BB.
- Unreall
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#39 Posted: 00:13:29 21/05/2016
Nope. I've never done day 1 for a Skylanders game and I don't feel that I need to, especially considering that they go on sale not long after. I'm not THAT much a fan. I personally always wait for Black Friday, so I can get a good deal.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:19 21/05/2016 by Sboy13
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#40 Posted: 00:32:06 21/05/2016
It all depends on these factors for me:
Does it look like a good Skylanders game?
Is the gimmick nice?
How pricey is it?
How are the characters?
How many characters do I want?
Who is in Wave 1?
Am I saving for anything else?
How much do I want this compared to [insert any other game I'm saving for]?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:32:42 21/05/2016 by TrapShadowFan
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#41 Posted: 05:24:21 21/05/2016

HOWEVER

-Unreall

The only chases ive found was the Easter egg trigger happy which we all sort of found out was one per a TRU store or something and i found a rusted high volt (which during our house reconstruction has been damaged that Im prob opening it soon). Each of these i found out of state in PA as ive never once seen one in NY. With that said, I always wished they put some sort of scratch off or something in each skylander you buy that would give u a chance for a variant thru Activision online or something. I also would have loved if they did some offer where if you do "collect them all" you would get something for free for doing so. Little incentives to collect them etc. They could have used the sticker codes for example or something. My thought is this way normal ppl would have a good chance at getting a variant as long as they collected the figures. However it is fun to look for variants and finding one in the wild is amazing.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#42 Posted: 23:41:45 22/05/2016
It all depends on how the game is, and if the characters I like are in wave 1. If the game is REALLY good, then I'll get it day one, hands down, but if not, I might wait until a sale or Christmas to get it.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#43 Posted: 00:52:36 23/05/2016
I'll probably buy day 1 if I really like it, but considering I'm going into high school and playing in bands so Skylanders aren't my main priority, Haha
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#44 Posted: 14:37:25 23/05/2016
Quote: TakeYourLemons
As one of the skylanders said "you got burned" and so did they on this scam. I refuse to participate in that but I am fine with ONE regular starter and ONE Dark if they are still doing the same old thing. I'm hoping for "fresh and new" across the board however.

That's the key. New and fresh. There is about a 1% chance I will Day 1 this game. The game will need to look spectacular for me to buy in right away at full or close to full price. I'm definitely in favor of getting some more content for our extensive collection of figures, but I've learned that Starters will plummet in price quickly - this year it was chopped in half by Thanksgiving.

I personally think TTL is on a decline. SuperChargers was not THAT bad, I actually enjoy it more than most here did. I think the market is just tired of the games. Skylanders 6 could be the best thing since sliced bread and I think the market will just shrug. They are over it. A TfB year likely means lots of new plastic to buy. And unfortunately, I think this will have an impact on Waves - if the game does worse than this year, it is highly possible some later Waves won't even arrive - and that would suck for a collector. I would be very leery of taking a collect them all approach this year.

So my plan is to eventually get a Starter and then only enough for me to experience the gimmick. It might increase if the game really catches me right, or diminish if it doesn't.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#45 Posted: 17:28:25 31/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Now that we know more about the release, is it day one or wait?

For me it's day one as it doesn't seem to totally suck as a theme (racing or sports) but I don't exactly care about old the Japanese Sensei theme either. It's not enough to keep me away from the game as I feel that I can totally ignore it. I mean, there really was no need to get a SuperCharger character either and it was basically ignorable as anyone could go into the vehicles. I ended up with only 4 SuperChargers which I had barely used any in the game.

Honestly if they don't nerf my OP Gear Shift, I'd probably just stick with her and ignore buying additional Imaginators. I cannot see how they could make a create a character (or even the Super Samurai ones) any more special to use vs. anyone prior. I'm certain that the gates they'll unlock wouldn't be terribly interesting, probably just more clothing or weapons.

So I doubt I would buy crystals or additional SI figures unless given a really special reason to do so. Of course I need to see more, but at the moment this year could be a starter and whatever catches my fancy year, like SuperChargers. I'm interested, but not terribly hyped about the release.
---
Stay Cool!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#46 Posted: 17:29:58 31/05/2016
October is great for me. But the issue still stands in being able to get someone to bring it from the US, importing a starter pack for GD is 100% guaranteed ridiculous tax.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#47 Posted: 17:30:06 31/05/2016
day one? more like midnight release. smilie
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#48 Posted: 17:30:16 31/05/2016
Quote: Chompy-King257

Yep. We're day-oners for life. The only game I didn't day-one was SSA, but that's because I only got into it half way through it's lifespan.

Count me in! I need the Golden waifu!
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#49 Posted: 17:32:47 31/05/2016
Quote: Deja Vu
Quote: Chompy-King257

Count me in! I need the Golden waifu!

me too! I need King-Pen!
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me