Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Is TTL Bubble Bursting? [CLOSED]
KingDedede Red Sparx Gems: 59
#51 Posted: 19:05:26 13/05/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Extra Credits disappointed me hard on how they'll twist the truth if it makes them look smarter. It was a while ago and the biggest part was drama and bias, but stuff like "kanji is gay guys Persona 4 totally didn't beat us over the head on how it doesn't matter" just accumulated quickly on the last year I was subscribed.

Back on the text itself, the games industry looks like a total unpleasant mess to outsiders though. AAA at least is all about shoving out as much popular product as possible, employees, long term projects and even the companies themselves(since so many drove themselves into financial crisises over dumb decisions of this caliber) be damned. There'll usually be nowhere to fall back on, people get laid off over the dumbest things since they lose their best in it so often, and we know how it went with Konami treating them like machines then dropping all their sucessful franchises like hot potato into Pachinko.
To someone who doesn't really know the value of a game, devs are all pretty stupid to constantly risk their income instead of just making mobile or indie games.

Twist the truth? I'm not really sure what you are talking about and I'm not aware of any drama.

I have to disagree with you though. The industry has many areas that need to be cleaned up such as labor rights, DLC practices, and various other things. However, video games have never been bigger. Besides, how is AAA shoving out the same thing different from Hollywood? They shove those products out because that's what people want.

I wouldn't say devs are being stupid by working for companies. Unfortunately many jobs are not that secure. Besides, being an indie isn't exactly a secure job. You don't have to make as much sales as a AAA game sure, but until your game comes out you have no income.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#52 Posted: 20:11:46 13/05/2016
They shove it out without any future plans, even if it means that their finances will be in trouble in the next few years. Is their franchise going to age in 3 years because they're using some outdated engine which the entire gameplay revolves around(cough cough Silver story in S06)? Don't care,it's gonna sell because of brand *today*. I'm not into movies enough to know if it's the same,but if it is then it's no better.

I'm not saying the job is stupid(heck I wouldn't be pursuing it if I did 100%), I'm saying that in the eyes of someone who thinks games are just fun distractions and not a significant part of their lives, it looks very foolish. Same for people outside modern art thinking that just throwing paint in a canvas and hanging it up on a museum is going to get you millions asap; there's a lot of name, how you present it, and connections involved(not that those are positives either, it's just not a works-for-everyone thing).
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:12:18 13/05/2016 by Bifrost
#53 Posted: 20:48:48 13/05/2016
They shove it out without any future plans, even if it means that their finances will be in trouble in the next few years. Is their franchise going to age in 3 years because they're using some outdated engine which the entire gameplay revolves around(cough cough Silver story in S06)? Don't care,it's gonna sell because of brand *today*. I'm not into movies enough to know if it's the same,but if it is then it's no better.

I'm not saying the job is stupid(heck I wouldn't be pursuing it if I did 100%), I'm saying that in the eyes of someone who thinks games are just fun distractions and not a significant part of their lives, it looks very foolish. Same for people outside modern art thinking that just throwing paint in a canvas and hanging it up on a museum is going to get you millions asap; there's a lot of name, how you present it, and connections involved(not that those are positives either, it's just not a works-for-everyone thing).

But to the outsider everything is fine. They don't know the industry well enough to be able to judge. Besides, the industry is overall doing great. There needs to be some changes but it isn't that different from any other industry dominated by corporations.

I don't think the modern art example works. Unlike modern art, there are plenty of jobs in the video game industry. Some games need 400 staff to make and that is not including support staff. I know some people at Target (In the HQ not the box stores) that went to the video game industry after being let go. You can find a job in the industry. Modern Art is different because it is about the individual instead of the team.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#54 Posted: 02:10:34 14/05/2016
I'd argue we have overcrowding of the market and fatigue is settling in. I'm guessing they may have judged their own franchise by looking at others as well and decided that lower return of rewards didn't justify its continuation. Whatever--we still have TTL competition, and provides some elbow room as a safety net as well. Which is a good thing for us. But copy/paste entries will end that quick, as I discussed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:10:53 14/05/2016 by TakeYourLemons
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#55 Posted: 02:21:02 14/05/2016
I wonder how LEGO does play into this. LEGO has a pretty good history of using Star Wars and Marvel properties. Maybe LEGO offered Disney a big chunk of change for including SW/Marvel into Dimensions and Disney looked at projections for 2016-2017 Infinity sales just didn't really make sense to keep investing in.
#56 Posted: 11:25:40 14/05/2016
IGN and Kotaku have articles mentioning ovdrproduction was also a big issue.
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#57 Posted: 12:22:12 14/05/2016

I have to just say something.

Ugh, we get it, Sonic 06 wasn't that good. People really don't need to bring it up every ****ing chance they get. I know it's a random thing to complain about, but now adays it feels like "Sonic Sucks" is being shoved down my throat as if I HAVE to agree.

Frankly, with all Activision is doing to the franchise, I have to agree: they're digging themselves a hole.
#58 Posted: 12:43:56 14/05/2016
Dude, you don't need to nitpick everything people say, that's derailing. I stand by my statement; Havok(was that the engine?) is dated but because ~innovaton~ they used it and it just made that section of the gams either a hilarious mess or a frustrating war of attrition.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:44:42 14/05/2016 by Bifrost
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#59 Posted: 19:03:56 14/05/2016
Video games industry moves fast, you get better consoles every 5 years and what the general public wants to play and what they expect in a game shifts pretty fast. It brings more money to a big company to create annual titles and inevitably saturate the market than to create an entry every 2-3 years, hoping it will span 20 years. This is especially true with Toys-to-Life, it is a trend that would inevitably start fading away so it was better to be saturated with annual titles than to only have 1 Skylander/Infinity game every 2-3 years in my opinion.
---
bye
#60 Posted: 11:42:40 16/05/2016
Dude, you don't need to nitpick everything people say, that's derailing. I stand by my statement; Havok(was that the engine?) is dated but because ~innovaton~ they used it and it just made that section of the gams either a hilarious mess or a frustrating war of attrition.

I'm just saying, I get it, it doesn't need to be said over and over. (Yeah, I'm a Sonic fan, sue me.)

As for Skylanders and TTL, honestly a big problem I see with it is milking. If the companies making these games spaced them out more intelligently, I could see TTL lasting much longer. But no, they INSIST on a game every year which in turn chokes out the economy and leads to loss of sales MUCH faster. Lately, Activision's business sense feels like it's gone from bad to worse. Now they're throwing their money away on all this expensive stuff that is unlikely to make any money back, and it just feels like they're digging their own grave.
#61 Posted: 19:46:13 16/05/2016
Quote: MugoUrth

I'm just saying, I get it, it doesn't need to be said over and over. (Yeah, I'm a Sonic fan, sue me.)

As for Skylanders and TTL, honestly a big problem I see with it is milking. If the companies making these games spaced them out more intelligently, I could see TTL lasting much longer. But no, they INSIST on a game every year which in turn chokes out the economy and leads to loss of sales MUCH faster. Lately, Activision's business sense feels like it's gone from bad to worse. Now they're throwing their money away on all this expensive stuff that is unlikely to make any money back, and it just feels like they're digging their own grave.

Godbless you for being a Sonic fan. Hopefully he can return to his former glory soon.

I honestly don't think that yearly releases hurt that much. It has relatively no impact on COD or similar games. Besides, with DI dead now it's really just Skylanders and Lego Dimensions. amiibo are their own thing in my opinion. I think the main problem is the amount of gimmicks they keep cramming in. Just give us some solid level designs without all the gimmicks. Some of the levels in Super Chargers would be brilliant without the constant driving.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#62 Posted: 20:16:32 16/05/2016
The End of Life of Toys to Life NFC action figures
---
bye
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#63 Posted: 23:31:15 16/05/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
Quote: Drek95
I'm really sorry to hear about Disney Infinity production's end.
To think it apparently was so much stronger than Skylanders, for some people...
I was curious to see if the "upgrade" strategy would have been effective or not.

It's particularly sad if you consider it still sold a lot, only not enough.

Hope Activision won't take this as a sign to relax and stop pushing the series further.
But as of now I think Skylanders is safe.

If only we had news about the sixth game... smilie

Well, we have Lego Dimensions to test out that hypothesis.

Well, I was talking to the manager of my local EB Games and they had just come from some event where they got news on what TT/Lego are planning for LD. They are seriously doubling down with the franchises that they are adding to the fold.

EDIT: Hint, DI's loss is LD's gain (UncleBob).
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:35:15 16/05/2016 by chaosworrier
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#64 Posted: 23:33:32 16/05/2016
Quote: chaosworrier
Quote: Drek95
I'm really sorry to hear about Disney Infinity production's end.
To think it apparently was so much stronger than Skylanders, for some people...
I was curious to see if the "upgrade" strategy would have been effective or not.

It's particularly sad if you consider it still sold a lot, only not enough.

Hope Activision won't take this as a sign to relax and stop pushing the series further.
But as of now I think Skylanders is safe.

If only we had news about the sixth game... smilie

Well, we have Lego Dimensions to test out that hypothesis.

Well, I was talking to the manager of my local EB Games and they had just come from some event where they got news on what TT/Lego are planning for LD. They are seriously doubling down with the franchises that they are adding to the fold.

Oh man, that's great! Heavy NDA's I'd assume. I know someone leaked Sonic a while back.
#65 Posted: 00:37:09 17/05/2016
Quote: newkill

One blogger's opinion, but he sure has the facts to make the point. I was surprised about DI's decline...but in fact it looks like the entire genre is in decline, not just the title. One thing's for sure, it's no longer "printing money".

I really think VV's brother departures do in fact mean that they don't intend to move forward after the next one (in my opinion).
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:38:51 17/05/2016 by TakeYourLemons
#66 Posted: 01:56:38 17/05/2016
Oh man, that's great! Heavy NDA's I'd assume. I know someone leaked Sonic a while back.

Yep, they are very friendly with me so mentioned things that they were supposed to actually keep under wraps.

However, given that there is only a tenuous link between them and me and I have not revealed anything about them...

• Marvel
  • Harry Potter
  • Female Ghostbusters
  • Powerpuff Girls
  • ....way more hinted at but not articulated specifically
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#67 Posted: 09:51:36 17/05/2016

Yep, they are very friendly with me so mentioned things that they were supposed to actually keep under wraps.

However, given that there is only a tenuous link between them and me and I have not revealed anything about them...

• Marvel
  • Harry Potter
  • Female Ghostbusters
  • Powerpuff Girls
  • ....way more hinted at but not articulated specifically

All of this sounds cool and exciting. Guess I'll have to see for myself when it's announced.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#68 Posted: 14:37:52 17/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: newkill

The facts of that article really puts things into perspective. I thought that Swap Force was the time to have a TV show. Putting out one now will be a wasted effort if the goal is to have it boost sales. No way Skylanders will reach those sales numbers again. And, the TV show better be good if Activision wants to see any type of bump in sales. Look at Animal Crossings. The reviews for that game are horrible and, as a result, the figures languish on the shelves. One good thing is there will be more frequent fire sales so stores can rid themselves of all the TTL product.
#69 Posted: 15:09:33 17/05/2016
That's exactly what I think...to get rid of the backstock. Despite my general pessimistic nature, I still think the franchise can win or lose based on the quality of the innovation and the game tech--but they will need to step it up big time now. They are going to have win the hearts of kids in a new way.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:10:11 17/05/2016 by TakeYourLemons
#70 Posted: 15:12:42 17/05/2016
The Animal Crossing party game whatever that was, was genuinely crap from reviews. Nothing to do with Skylanders or TTL, it's just a bad game with a worse paywall. Especially since it's from a series known for the miles of content straight out of the box and no DLC(Happy Home Designer also got similar beef for the amiibo card stuff). Add that on top of being the only WiiU AC game and it's just not a better recipe for disaster than PM Color Splash.

It's like comparing SC to Dungeon Keeper mobile. We're faaar from that rock bottom.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:13:49 17/05/2016 by Bifrost
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#71 Posted: 16:53:08 17/05/2016
The Animal Crossing board game was terrible from everything I read. They massively over-produced the figures for it as well. But, you really didn't need anything more than the two included figures to play (or one if bought digitally). Happy Home Designer was also a really poorly executed attempt to cash in on Animal Crossing fans.

Color Splash might be ok, but it depends on if you are looking for something along the lines of Mario & Luigi (which it won't be), or Paper Mario (which hasn't had a really good game since Gamecube).

Also, Starfox was pretty disappointing as well.

Nintendo has like nothing for the rest of the year, too. And they won't be getting that big Amiibo money this year, either.
#72 Posted: 17:02:33 17/05/2016
Super Paper Mario was a great game. :p
Also, Star Fox is pretty awesome.
#73 Posted: 17:24:06 17/05/2016
SPM was different. Color Splash CAN be good, but I mean it has little to no support or hype because it's taking too much from Sticker Star already so everyone jumped ship on the first two trailers. If they attempt and release an Amiibo line for it as well, people will get the Paper Mario and leave the others to collect dust.

Either way,different situation from Skylanders. Yeah, SC was divisive,but no one can call it a half-baked mess or stuff no one wanted(some people actually liked the racing gameplay and want a bit of it to stick through future games, even if I don't agree).
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:31:21 17/05/2016 by Bifrost
#74 Posted: 17:40:00 17/05/2016
Quote: UncleBob
Super Paper Mario was a great game. smilie

Starfox would be a ton better without the controller dual screen gimmick forced on you. It is fun playing with my son, distracting otherwise. It is also basically a remix with a bit better graphics and a few differences from earlier games. Miyamoto seems to not get what people like about Starfox. They need to just give us a straight forward rails shooter with branching paths and spectacular settings. And they need to stick to just the Arwing and Landmaster (at most). Every Starfox game since 64 they have tried to insert some half baked gimmick (some worked, most didn't).
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#75 Posted: 06:20:44 20/05/2016
Quote: defpally
Quote: UncleBob
Super Paper Mario was a great game. smilie

Starfox would be a ton better without the controller dual screen gimmick forced on you. It is fun playing with my son, distracting otherwise. It is also basically a remix with a bit better graphics and a few differences from earlier games. Miyamoto seems to not get what people like about Starfox. They need to just give us a straight forward rails shooter with branching paths and spectacular settings. And they need to stick to just the Arwing and Landmaster (at most). Every Starfox game since 64 they have tried to insert some half baked gimmick (some worked, most didn't).

This!, I have yet to pick it up Zero because my Wii u is packed away in storage (we are in the middle of a house reconstruction). All I've ever wanted since i played star fox 64 as a teen was a true sequel to the game. One that played like starfox 64 but updated and better. No extra crap. I like land-master that's fine, hated the submarine but could deal with it or skip it. I want the same or similar experience i got in July of that year when I opened the game, popped in my rumble pack and was in awe. Good times, lasted me all of July till Goldeneye came out, which can speak for itself.

However since starfox 64 all we have gotten is Star fox adventure, and other stuff. Not a true sequel. Why Nintendo?, why do u attempt to ruin things that work? Sometimes it works..like mario 3d but ya.

Now i have yet to play Zero, but even since it was shown off I was scared this dual screen issue would bea problem, i was praying it was a feature you could jsut turn off, but it seems not the case. I don't mind Miyamoto attempt to give a different and unique way to play, just dont force it down our throats as the only way to play.

Again, I haven't played Zero yet, so for those that have is it as bad as reviews say or no? Man I wish redbox rented wii u games.

Back on topic, hopefully skylanders 6 somewhat ties into the show to start, id like to see all new figures and avoid series 2,3,4,5?.. I think Acti needs to talk to stores and see what stuff is still around from SSA days to now and avoid making reposes of those, (except for sunburn, he needs some love)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:22:37 20/05/2016 by SlayerX11
MarvelSeer Blue Sparx Gems: 675
#76 Posted: 00:34:53 21/05/2016
Quote: Biodude
What if Disney decides to allow Dimensions to include the Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars properties?

I see this happening, Lego already has Disney properties just not yet in gaming. In the coming months will see what happens.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie - Missing Legendary Bushwack emoji
#77 Posted: 00:48:49 21/05/2016
Quote: MarvelSeer
Quote: Biodude
What if Disney decides to allow Dimensions to include the Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars properties?

I see this happening, Lego already has Disney properties just not yet in gaming. In the coming months will see what happens.

Lego/Traveller's Tales have been using Disney IP in video games since the original Xbox (i.e. the first Lego Star Wars game), just not in a TTL context.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#78 Posted: 14:08:57 21/05/2016
From the looks of things, LD is planning to take advantage of this and not cower because a competitor fell. Hoping 6kylanders will do the same.

Honestly, I don't think that's the issue. I think Activision is going for an "All or nothing" tactic right now by pouring so much money into the franchise when the TTL gimmick is dying down.
#79 Posted: 15:02:02 21/05/2016
Getting back on topic...

I, for one, am keenly interested on what will be announced at E3.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#80 Posted: 15:40:31 21/05/2016
Are there any rumblings about when the mighty Activision will release any information about our fall release of Sky6?

Bifrost, got any links to the mentioned IGN and other articles about TTL? Perhaps we can discuss that.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#81 Posted: 16:18:40 21/05/2016
Quote: TakeYourLemons
Are there any rumblings about when the mighty Activision will release any information about our fall release of Sky6?

Bifrost, got any links to the mentioned IGN and other articles about TTL? Perhaps we can discuss that.

No word yet. Most people are just guessing early June reveal and then more at e3, like with superchargers.
#82 Posted: 16:56:46 21/05/2016
And by the way, you were the one that brought up Animal Crossing, Dungeon Keeper, Paper Mario, etc.

The Animal Crossing party game whatever that was, was genuinely crap from reviews. Nothing to do with Skylanders or TTL, it's just a bad game with a worse paywall. Especially since it's from a series known for the miles of content straight out of the box and no DLC(Happy Home Designer also got similar beef for the amiibo card stuff). Add that on top of being the only WiiU AC game and it's just not a better recipe for disaster than PM Color Splash.

It's like comparing SC to Dungeon Keeper mobile. We're faaar from that rock bottom.

That is a whole bunch of "not on topic" right there. So why don't you take your own advice and stop trying to manage others?

Technically, the topic is about Toys To Life, not Skylanders. Him mentioning Amiibo Festival still relates to the topic, as that IS a TTL game.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:58:33 21/05/2016 by MugoUrth
#83 Posted: 17:17:56 21/05/2016
Well, technically, the new StarFox game supports amiibo as well - thus it's a TTL game, thus it is on topic.

I'll take my internet-win in cake form, thanks.
MarvelSeer Blue Sparx Gems: 675
#84 Posted: 19:42:53 21/05/2016
Getting back on topic...

It will no doubt be there next game announcement for sure as Skylanders said it will be there, however this year gimmick can kill the series if its something fans dont wanna see so I'm hoping for the latter!
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie - Missing Legendary Bushwack emoji
#85 Posted: 19:51:45 21/05/2016
Getting back on topic...

It will no doubt be there next game announcement for sure as Skylanders said it will be there, however this year gimmick can kill the series if its something fans dont wanna see so I'm hoping for the latter!

Where did Activision announce that Skylanders will be at E3?
#86 Posted: 23:41:57 21/05/2016
Getting back on topic...

Where did Activision announce that Skylanders will be at E3?

They haven't, it is merely a supposition.
---
Soylent Green is People!
xboxfanuk Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#87 Posted: 17:00:48 23/05/2016
Skylanders Superchargers had a lower than expected return on investment (which must have been high with all new netcode and racing, flying and boat physics). However Skylanders is still one of the golden gooses of Activision. They are investing even more into the series with a full animated series and Battlecast.

Now what was the IP that was going to hurt Skylanders the most? Star Wars and Marvel. Disney is out of the game, they would rather cash checks than make video games. What killed Disney Infinity. was it the bubble, was it too much stock? NO. What killed Infinity was Disney wanted out of the risky and expensive business of producing and distributing a toys-to-life game. Disney looked at the returns of Infinity vs. the returns of license deals and decided license deals offer better value than locking IP behind a toys-to-life game they controlled.

So what about Lego Dimensions? Well it's likely they will get some Star Wars content by LD2. However I think you count out Marvel (although I could see Activision buying that license again). Dimensions is backed heavily on the Warner Bros. IP and most of that is doing very poorly in the box office.

For this year at least Dimensions has only level packs and single characters. Disney is out of the game entirely and Nintendo has literally NOTHING in 2016. So where does that leave the holiday for toys-to-life? It means that Skylanders and Lego will be the only two products on shelves and Dimensions starters will be old and tired, last years game. And trust me they aren't going down in price much.

With the TV series and the new App Battlecast plus a full retail release of Skylanders 6 I would expect this year will do VERY well for Skylanders. If it doesn't given all Skylanders advantages than I would expect the series will be retired. Remember there is two whole studios whacking away all year every year. It was be a huge thing to shut down Skylanders even if they are making modest returns. It would affect their stock and all.
---
Friend me on Xbox One - GT: Xboxfanuk

Would love to co-op Superchargers.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:01:15 23/05/2016 by xboxfanuk
#88 Posted: 23:34:54 23/05/2016
Quote: xboxfanuk
What killed Infinity was Disney wanted out of the risky and expensive business of producing and distributing a toys-to-life game. Disney looked at the returns of Infinity vs. the returns of license deals and decided license deals offer better value than locking IP behind a toys-to-life game they controlled.
So what about Lego Dimensions? Well it's likely they will get some Star Wars content by LD2. However I think you count out Marvel (although I could see Activision buying that license again). Dimensions is backed heavily on the Warner Bros. IP and most of that is doing very poorly in the box office.

For this year at least Dimensions has only level packs and single characters. Disney is out of the game entirely and Nintendo has literally NOTHING in 2016. So where does that leave the holiday for toys-to-life? It means that Skylanders and Lego will be the only two products on shelves and starters will be old and tired, last years game. And trust me they aren't going down in price much.

I agree but I also perceive that they recognised a gap wrt what to do for the next game. Each subsequent DI game had a primary franchise focus: D2 = Marvel and D3 = Star Wars. What could they do next which would be a huge drawcard?

By memory, my "source" mentioned the opposite Marvel will join the LD fold this year with a projection for SW to be next year. However, TT/WB are doubling down and getting the rights to quite a few more "untapped" franchises, so it won't just be more WB. We must not forget that there is more to franchises than just movies, there is also TV, etc.

Finally, I still wouldn't discount an optional Phase 2 LD Starter pack for the late adopters, just like what SG did.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#89 Posted: 01:43:50 24/05/2016
Skylanders Superchargers had a lower than expected return on investment (which must have been high with all new netcode and racing, flying and boat physics). However Skylanders is still one of the golden gooses of Activision. They are investing even more into the series with a full animated series and Battlecast.

Now what was the IP that was going to hurt Skylanders the most? Star Wars and Marvel. Disney is out of the game, they would rather cash checks than make video games. What killed Disney Infinity. was it the bubble, was it too much stock? NO. What killed Infinity was Disney wanted out of the risky and expensive business of producing and distributing a toys-to-life game. Disney looked at the returns of Infinity vs. the returns of license deals and decided license deals offer better value than locking IP behind a toys-to-life game they controlled.

For this year at least Dimensions has only level packs and single characters. Disney is out of the game entirely and Nintendo has literally NOTHING in 2016. So where does that leave the holiday for toys-to-life? It means that Skylanders and Lego will be the only two products on shelves and Dimensions starters will be old and tired, last years game. And trust me they aren't going down in price much.

With the TV series and the new App Battlecast plus a full retail release of Skylanders 6 I would expect this year will do VERY well for Skylanders. If it doesn't given all Skylanders advantages than I would expect the series will be retired. Remember there is two whole studios whacking away all year every year. It was be a huge thing to shut down Skylanders even if they are making modest returns. It would affect their stock and all.

Disney had a combination of logistical mistakes (too much inventory, not enough ROI) in addition to the fact that TTL IS IN FACT IN DECLINE. All TTL entries had a significant downturn this year. TTL is in fact not being received wihch as much fervor as in recent years. In theory with one competitor out of the market SHOULD help Activision, but it's far from guaranteed. They need to bring their A game...they've been bringing their B- game for last two years.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:44:47 24/05/2016 by TakeYourLemons
#90 Posted: 13:58:56 24/05/2016
Quote: TakeYourLemons
Disney had a combination of logistical mistakes (too much inventory, not enough ROI) in addition to the fact that TTL IS IN FACT IN DECLINE. All TTL entries had a significant downturn this year. TTL is in fact not being received wihch as much fervor as in recent years. In theory with one competitor out of the market SHOULD help Activision, but it's far from guaranteed. They need to bring their A game...they've been bringing their B- game for last two years.

Yeah, I don't think people will go "Hey, now that I can't get Disney I think I'll go get into Skylanders". The best they can hope for is people that played both having more money to buy Skylanders, not Infinity orphans looking for a new home. The market is apparently looking for an exit on TTL in general. People will see an exit from Disney and a lack of a new Lego base game in the market as a sign TTL is in decline. Not to mention many kids are over Skylanders, a new TV show might help and if the new game is compelling that will definitely help.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#91 Posted: 16:13:23 24/05/2016 | Topic Creator

That's optimistic. Even with Battlecast and the TV show, I wouldn't expect sales to reach Swap Force, or even Trap Team, levels. Sky6 may beat out this past year sales, but not by much. Sky6 better be something special or Skylanders will be done.
#92 Posted: 16:51:37 24/05/2016
Quote: GamerDrone

That's optimistic. Even with Battlecast and the TV show, I wouldn't expect sales to reach Swap Force, or even Trap Team, levels. Sky6 may beat out this past year sales, but not by much. Sky6 better be something special or Skylanders will be done.

Yeah, I get the feeling he doesn't understand how many development houses were affected by the Disney Infinity shutdown. The whole of Disney Interactive is gone. Avalanche (the primary developer) is gone. And they had at least four other developers that made playsets, and at least two others currently developing future playsets. Two whole studios whacking away at Skylanders is nothing compared to that - and VV would still survive anyways, TfB would have to severely cut back though.

As far as affecting Activision's stock, I'd say it would go up. Wall St. are not gamers, they see cutting loose dead weight as a good thing, no matter how heartless it may be to fans or the hard working developers.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#93 Posted: 17:24:44 24/05/2016
As a consumer I dont see problem here . I just see lots and lots of clearance sale discounts on TTL products .

Except for the uber collectors , the rest of us average folk are pretty well set for a few years sampling the DI,s or Skylander games we have yet to try .

Nothing lasts forever . We have all witnessed the rise and fall of many beloved toy and game brands within our lives .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#94 Posted: 01:55:49 26/05/2016
Quote: GamerDrone

Yeah, I get the feeling he doesn't understand how many development houses were affected by the Disney Infinity shutdown. The whole of Disney Interactive is gone. Avalanche (the primary developer) is gone. And they had at least four other developers that made playsets, and at least two others currently developing future playsets. Two whole studios whacking away at Skylanders is nothing compared to that - and VV would still survive anyways, TfB would have to severely cut back though.

As far as affecting Activision's stock, I'd say it would go up. Wall St. are not gamers, they see cutting loose dead weight as a good thing, no matter how heartless it may be to fans or the hard working developers.

True dat.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me