Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Villain based games [CLOSED]
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#1 Posted: 09:05:05 14/04/2016 | Topic Creator
I realize this is a dumb topic, it's more of just a thought/realization i wanted to share

So someone mentioned to me the other day there aren't really any games where you play as the villain and then find out through the game that they're the villain, or just that you play as the villain in general. I'm sure there are a few but upon studying a bit I couldn't really find any. This could be huge and be a huge change to the video game meta

Can you think of any games where you play as the villain? Alternatively do any of you have any ideas on how this could be executed?
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#2 Posted: 10:54:58 14/04/2016
Well I don't know of any games where you can play as the bad guy, but I know that writing a story like you described is rather simple. It involves intentionally leaving out important clues to give stuff away. Maybe you are just walking around minding your own business, when you see a wanted poster with your name on it. You rip it off the wall, put on your hood, and just try to act casual. In storytelling/writing it's a cinch to just leave out details and maybe learn them from some NPC or other character or even event. Also, amnesia. Easiest way to get around the whole, "but wouldn't you KNOW you did those things?" question.
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#3 Posted: 12:02:06 14/04/2016
OFF by Mortis Ghost has you playing as the villain by implication.
---
self professed austGAYlian
Spellslamzer75 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1333
#4 Posted: 14:17:44 14/04/2016
The inFAMOUS series lets you become either a hero or a villain, and a lot changes depending on which one you decide to be.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel pretty much says you're playing as the villains.

That's all I can think of for now, except for fighting or racing games that let you play as the villains.
---
Strength, courage, and evil
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#5 Posted: 15:24:41 14/04/2016
Isn't there like an indie game coming out where you play as a bad guy who kidnaps princesses and have to outrun the police or something?
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:24:56 14/04/2016 by AdamGregory03
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6412
#6 Posted: 15:43:33 14/04/2016
Well every Disgaea are about an evil overlord or monsters so I think it counts
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#7 Posted: 16:03:51 14/04/2016
Quote: Spellslamzer75
The inFAMOUS series lets you become either a hero or a villain, and a lot changes depending on which one you decide to be.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel pretty much says you're playing as the villains.

That's all I can think of for now, except for fighting or racing games that let you play as the villains.

You beat me to the punch, I was JUST about to say inFAMOUS.

Anyways, you can play as a serial killer who just wants to get some sleep in Part Hard, that one's pretty fun.
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#8 Posted: 16:05:04 14/04/2016 | Topic Creator
I should clarify, when I mean a Villain game I mean, you literally fight the protagonist it's just from the opposite side, like if someone remade spyro but had it be from ripto's perspective etc
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#9 Posted: 20:38:42 14/04/2016
The Witch and the Hundred Knight.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#10 Posted: 22:21:01 14/04/2016
Now that the Angry Birds Movie is around...

"Bad Piggies"
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#11 Posted: 22:54:55 14/04/2016
The Overlord series.

The "problem" whith the majority of the games/movies which focus on the villains is that they usually turn them in anti-heroes one way or another (for example by making the true hero lose his mind or introducing a greater evil which required both sides to join forces).

There are very few games where you control a villain doing true villain's things from the beginning to the end.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#12 Posted: 00:18:55 16/04/2016
Isn't Destroy All Humans considered a villain game?

I never saw gameplay so uahufhauah
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#13 Posted: 00:31:00 16/04/2016
Uuuuh... Technically yes but as the story goes on you actually become more similar to an anti hero.
I'd say the majority of the first game is definitely that.

Though a question comes to my mind: Crypto is simply trying to help his kind sooo... Is he truly a villain from his own perspective? smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#14 Posted: 04:32:41 16/04/2016
Quote: LameLime
Isn't Destroy All Humans considered a villain game?

I never saw gameplay so uahufhauah

Quote: Drek95
Uuuuh... Technically yes but as the story goes on you actually become more similar to an anti hero.
I'd say the majority of the first game is definitely that.

Though a question comes to my mind: Crypto is simply trying to help his kind sooo... Is he truly a villain from his own perspective? smilie

True, and in the second game, you go on to stop those Blisk's.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#15 Posted: 12:23:08 16/04/2016
Quote: Lunarz
I should clarify, when I mean a Villain game I mean, you literally fight the protagonist it's just from the opposite side, like if someone remade spyro but had it be from ripto's perspective etc

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dark Side story)
Shadow the Hedgehog (True Villain path)
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X (Vile Mode)
Hyrule Warriors/Hyrule Warriors: Legends (handles it in a weird way. After the end of the core story, Ganondorf is successfully revived, and you play as him or Zant and Ghirahim for a few chapters, depicting Ganondorf's conquest against Hyrule. Ganondorf wins, but then you play another two chapters as the heroes, undoing what you did as Ganondorf. There's also Cia's Tale, depicting how she built up her army to wage war against Hyrule, and her side of various battles in the game)

Just off the top of my head.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#16 Posted: 12:48:17 16/04/2016
Was gonna mention Shadow, but Brawler beat me to the punch.

There's also kingdom hearts days, where you play as organization XIII.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#17 Posted: 02:49:16 18/04/2016
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent

James Bond dies in the beginning of the game and you play as basically the Terminator but if the terminator had a gold eye that gave him force powers.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:51:17 18/04/2016 by Badwolfmichael
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#18 Posted: 22:14:18 19/04/2016
I don't know if it counts, but I've been playing Tony Hawk's American Wasteland for a while, and the main character's pretty much a villain. The game doesn't treat him as one, but considering he...

-Destroys public property.
-Takes money from bums.
-Steals signs and objects.
-Almost killed a bunch of protesters.
-Caused a huge car crash that probably DID kill people.

...All just to help build his "friend"'s skate park, "friends" he barely even knew, yeah. He's pretty much a badguy.
#19 Posted: 19:40:54 24/04/2016
Oh, almost forgot:

Goat Simulator

Well basically you can choose your fate; regular wandering goat, or like many people would do, trash things, murder people, and ram and blow up a gas station Michael Bay style.
---
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#20 Posted: 21:07:02 24/04/2016
There was gonna be a Crash Bandicoot game which got cancelled where you play as Cortex. It was gonna be called Cortex Chaos.

Speaking of Crash Bandicoot, if you beat the story mode of Crash Bash with one of Uka Uka's characters (Cortex, Brio, Koala Kong or Rilla Roo), you pretty much make the bad guys win.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#21 Posted: 22:06:47 24/04/2016
Lego Batman.
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#22 Posted: 18:37:03 26/04/2016
Tropico (Though you're more of a designated villain in that game), Overlord (See Tropico), Hatred, Postal, God of War and, depending on which way you look at it, The Sims.

I'm dedicating a whole line to Zog's Nightmare. Just... Don't... It was made by actual Neo-Nazis. That's all you need to know. The only value that game has is as a display of just how out of touch these posers are to Mussolini's ideology, that they claim to represent (I bet most of them don't even know Mussolini is...)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:43:59 26/04/2016 by QueenChrysalis
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#23 Posted: 22:04:12 27/04/2016
I'm not sure if this counts, but in Undertale, you can choose to be evil.

Also, doesn't Smash count? I mean, you can play as Bowser and actually beat Mario, or you can have Ganondorf defeat Link.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#24 Posted: 23:41:45 27/04/2016
Quote: kardonis
Was gonna mention Shadow, but Brawler beat me to the punch.

There's also kingdom hearts days, where you play as organization XIII.

IMO I wouldn't count that since you're playing as Roxas where he has no idea what he's even doing and doesn't like the idea of it until (SPOILERS)
He goes against the Organization
plus he is considered one of the series heroes I believe.
---
words. letters. filler.
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#25 Posted: 20:30:44 01/05/2016
I would say Destroy All Humans definitely counts.

Also, in Call of Duty: Black Ops II there's a bit or two where you play as the main antagonist during the events that cracked him up.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me