darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Year of the Dragon > Little Coding Knowledge, Or Maybe a Glitch?
Page 1 of 1
Little Coding Knowledge, Or Maybe a Glitch?
YellowGemiinii Green Sparx Gems: 184
#1 Posted: 14:55:18 05/04/2016 | Topic Creator
This is nothing special, but I thought some people might find it interesting to know.

I was replaying Seashell Shore a while back with my mom, and we did the Sheila mission where you have to stomp the sand castle so the seals can blow it up (I forget the actual title). I have this strategy where I just stomp all the turrets, and ignore everything else. So when the cutscene of the seals going into the castle happened, there was a gem right in front of the door.

And when the seals passed over it, one of them collected it as if they were the player who had Sparx with them, despite Sparx being over with Sheila, who was the player character at the time.

I think that's kinda interesting. It might actually be a glitch, but it also might not be. I don't know much about 3D game coding, let alone how Spyro3 was coded, so maybe someone else would know? Regardless, it did count the gem towards my total, 'cause I wasn't missing any when I left the level.
Spock Green Sparx Gems: 115
#2 Posted: 19:30:16 23/10/2016
Intriguing. I experienced a gem related glitch myself in Haunted Tomb.

Against my better judgment, I'd busted the three gem baskets along the edge of the second room without Sparx as I'd lost him and there wasn't fodder around. The last one, a purple 5-pointer fell over the edge into the out-of-bounds.
Leaving and reentering the world nor even resetting the game respawned it. I was filled with regret and felt quite idiotic because I wasn't ignorant of this misfortune, it was one of those 'didn't believe it could happen to you until it did' things.

I conceded that this would have to be my only incomplete non-speedway level.

It wasn't until after I'd cleared the main area that I'd realized how to kill the giant creatures that throw the explosives requiring me to go through it again to clear them all out for gem and I realized egg collecting. When I reached the room prior to that which contains the Tank Blast portal, something caught my eye: A purple 5-point gem was sitting on the ground at the far end of the falling rocks area next to the final giant explosive throwing creature which I could swear was out of place.
1.) I was sure all gems in that room had been in baskets. Most of them in this entire world were in baskets.
2.) In that off-the-path location and with the falling rocks creating a barrier, there was no way I could have busted a basket by accident.
But it couldn't be, there was no way it was the same purple 5-pointer I'd watched fall into the out-of-bounds clear on the end of the world.

Well "when you eliminate the impossible, what remains, however improbable must be the truth."
Somehow, it was because a bit later I received the 700/700 pop-up.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:38:34 23/10/2016 by Spock
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#3 Posted: 15:14:00 29/10/2016
I think a general rule for the first 3 Spyro games is that if a gem is knocked into a void it is automatically given to you. I wish I could remember what speedrun I was watching but I remember SSMBstuff explained that once. Maybe it was during Nitrof's Spyro 3 TAS? I'm not sure, but automatically collecting out of bounds gems is exploited in speedruns.
---
You gotta believe!
Spock Green Sparx Gems: 115
#4 Posted: 06:06:12 01/11/2016
Quote: madison-dwrd
I think a general rule for the first 3 Spyro games is that if a gem is knocked into a void it is automatically given to you. I wish I could remember what speedrun I was watching but I remember SSMBstuff explained that once. Maybe it was during Nitrof's Spyro 3 TAS? I'm not sure, but automatically collecting out of bounds gems is exploited in speedruns.

Intriguing. But why would my out-of-bounds gem respawn though if I was supposed to have automatically collected it upon its plummet?
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me