Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Nintendo To Stop Wii U Production in 2016 - FALSE
Page 1 of 1
Nintendo To Stop Wii U Production in 2016 - FALSE [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#1 Posted: 18:00:15 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199604

Alas, poor Wii U, I knew him well...
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:43 23/03/2016 by Matteomax
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 18:05:09 22/03/2016
I just bought mine last year god dammit. I know I'm super broke but at least when I got the X360 it stayed for three more years, I think.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#3 Posted: 18:39:27 22/03/2016
I'm extremely mixed on this whole thing and about the NX, and at this point currently I think i'm going to be done supporting and buying Nintendo products after this year unless the NX really blows me away.

Two years ago, I bought a Wii U when everyone else was getting an Xbox One and PS4. I took the risk of buying one because I had the feeling that despite the console doing horribly in terms of sales, That I would get my money's worth out of the console once Nintendo started making more games for the system. and in 2014, they did when I got MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1 and 2, and Smash Bros. But beyond that they haven't given me much else of a reason to own the console over a PS4 or even an Xbox One(which doesn't really interest me) at this point. Pokken Tournament was the first big Wii U title I bought since Smash, and the next Legend of Zelda title is really the only Wii U game left that interests me.

In total that means I really only have like 10-15 games on Wii U that I can enjoy that are exclusive. Other games I enjoyed on the console, such as Resident Evil: Revelations and Child of Light I can enjoy on any other console.

While I can say I got my money's worth from the Wii U just from Smash Bros alone, it just isn't enough for me compared to Nintendo's other consoles. I have numerous games for my Wii, DS, and 3DS console because there's more than enough games that I enjoy for the system. Ever since I got my Wii U, I haven't felt that way because there ended up being so few titles that appealed to me.

And then stopping production pretty much all but confirms that Wii U development is done and that the next Zelda game is going to be its last big game. Once the NX is revealed Wii U sales are going to flatline because all eyes are going to be on this next console.

And it upsets me because I had hope that Nintendo would really blow us away and prove that the Wii U could be a console that greatly succeeds. But unfortunately it isn't and now they're going to alienate a lot of fans who put their time and money into a console that will only get just over four years of support compared to the Wii's 6 years, the DS's 7 years, and the 3DS's continuing support.

looking at the company from a developing perspective, I love Nintendo and still do. I can say without a doubt that I'll still have my money's worth on Wii U in the future whenever I continue to play Smash Bros, MK8, and most likely now, Pokken. But honestly that isn't much compared to the insane amount of replayability I have with my other consoles.

And from a company perspective, I don't really like them anymore because they've become so outdated with how gaming works nowadays, from not marketing the Wii U very well at all to the way they handled amiibo shortages last year to their imposing of their damn YouTube creator's program.

And it's why I haven't really been a big fan of the NX. Because I knew that the sooner Nintendo started talking about it, the sooner they would basically have to screw over Wii U owners for a brand new console not even a full console generation later.

The NX at this point has to really impress me if I'm going to get it. And even then it's going to be hard for me to support it, because what if NX is another failure like the Wii U was? The fact that I have to even ask that question makes me upset. Otherwise I'm not going to bother with Nintendo's next console.

Beyond occasionally buying games that interest me on 3DS and any future Wii U titles the company decides to make, I'm probably going to be done with Nintendo for the most part after this year. At the very least, Nintendo is definitely done being my go-to company for home consoles.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:39:58 22/03/2016 by pankakesparx456
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3080
#4 Posted: 18:53:13 22/03/2016
i dont have money for the nx.........
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#5 Posted: 19:12:19 22/03/2016
Let's just be glad the NX is coming
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#6 Posted: 19:32:06 22/03/2016
I hope it isn't a handheld thing. I just got the N3DS. .__.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#7 Posted: 19:33:44 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote:
And it's why I haven't really been a big fan of the NX. Because I knew that the sooner Nintendo started talking about it, the sooner they would basically have to screw over Wii U owners for a brand new console not even a full console generation later.

There isn't such a thing as a "full" console generation.

On average, they tend to be around five years long, but it often varies.

Remember when Microsoft released the Xbox 360, two years before the PS3/Wii, with the original Xbox having the shortest lifespan between it and it's competitors?

Nintendo aren't screwing anyone over. They are just doing business as usual. Don't take them dropping the console (which is an inevitability) as a personal attack against you. If you bought the system knowing that it didn't have too many games that interested you, that's your own foolishness for doing that.

Even if one bought a Wii U right now (or when the inevitable price drop happens), there is still a huge backlog of exclusive games, most of which are of extremely good quality to decent from a general standpoint, it's just a matter of whether or not they're your kind of games.
---
#8 Posted: 20:00:31 22/03/2016
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Quote:

There isn't such a thing as a "full" console generation.

On average, they tend to be around five years long, but it often varies.

Remember when Microsoft released the Xbox 360, two years before the PS3/Wii, with the original Xbox having the shortest lifespan between it and it's competitors?

fair enough.

Quote:
Nintendo aren't screwing anyone over. They are just doing business as usual. Don't take them dropping the console (which is an inevitability) as a personal attack against you. If you bought the system knowing that it didn't have too many games that interested you, that's your own foolishness for doing that.

Even if one bought a Wii U right now (or when the inevitable price drop happens), there is still a huge backlog of exclusive games, most of which are of extremely good quality to decent from a general standpoint, it's just a matter of whether or not they're your kind of games.

At the time though I thought there would be more games that appealed to me overall because the Wii, DS, and 3DS have a huge backlog of games that interest me. When I bought my Wii U I thought it would get the same kind of treatment, but looking back it didn't.

I find that overall the Wii U's library, not counting its virtual console, was kind of lackluster compared to its other consoles, despite Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and now Pokken Tournament being among my favorite video games. Unless I'm missing out on some hidden gems for the console I don't know about yet.

I understand it is kind of my fault for having those expectations in the first place when I bought the console, and that it makes sense for Nintendo from a commercial perspective to drop the Wii U, but for me personally it's just hard to not be disappointed when there ended up being a lot less games for the console that I enjoyed than I anticipated there would be, because their last consoles proved that Nintendo can make a HUGE variety of games. I honestly think that the Wii U has a lot less of the variety that I enjoyed with their previous consoles(though that's not entirely their fault considering they basically lost all third party support for the console). Thankfully though because of this I think the Wii U has some of the best games to own on any console right now, but I personally would've liked to have a lot more variety, unless, as I said, I'm missing out big time on some other exclusives for the console.
---
Cool cool.
#9 Posted: 20:17:09 22/03/2016
Quote: parisruelz12

It wont be, Nintendo needs at least 1 console out at a time.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#10 Posted: 20:28:12 22/03/2016
Not interested in the NX so this is just unfortunate.
#11 Posted: 20:38:00 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote:
At the time though I thought there would be more games that appealed to me overall because the Wii, DS, and 3DS have a huge backlog of games that interest me. When I bought my Wii U I thought it would get the same kind of treatment, but looking back it didn't.

I mean, all I can really say to that, is this:

In all seriousness, there was no real reason to believe there would be MORE games like the ones you say, since they need to try cover other demographics. Considering Smash and Mario Kart came out in the same year, that should have been the big sign to show that they were done with their big hitters in 2014. Hyrule Warriors and Pokkén Tournament are cool and are fairly big releases, but they aren't Smash/Mario Kart caliber, they are more experimental titles (the experiment being Nintendo letting third parties develop spin-offs for their IPs, which is something they don't usually do), and they are somewhat niche, risky titles (in Hyrule Warriors' case though it worked out really well - Pokkén we'll have to wait on though since it only just came out).

If anything, you should be thankful games like Smash and Mario Kart got DLC like they did. Hell, Hyrule Warriors Wii U is still gonna be getting DLC all throughout this year.

I'm not saying Nintendo didn't have their issues, FAR from it, but in terms of the VOLUME and VARIERTY, the Wii U was fine.

2015 was fine in terms of the amount of games they released, the problem was that a lot of them were lacking or just flat out tone deaf.

That seems to be continuing with the new Paper Mario game.

Quote:
I personally would've liked to have a lot more variety, unless, as I said, I'm missing out big time on some other exclusives for the console.

That depends on your tastes and all, but if you want my recommendation, LEGO City: Undercover is a Wii U exclusive that came out during the launch window of the Wii U that a lot of people just sort of forgot about it, for some reason.

It's easily one of the best Wii U exclusives out there. It's basically GTA with LEGOs.
---
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#12 Posted: 21:49:51 22/03/2016
Quote: Windumup

Remember the rumor about it being a hybrid console, though?
---
words. letters. filler.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#13 Posted: 21:53:33 22/03/2016
This freakin' sucks! No way of making the NX compatible with all Wii U games (physical and digital) and DLC?

If the new Legend of Zelda comes to the NX, then the Wii U would be the first Nintendo console with no original exclusive Zelda game. The HD remasters, virtual console games and the spin-off Hyrule Warriors don't count. The Virtual Boy didn't have a Zelda game either but that system was legitimately bad, so no one cares.

If Nintendo suddenly decides to abandon the Wii U for the NX, it'll need some really good killer apps for launch titles and a schedule of great games to come. For Day 1, there should be a Super Mario Galaxy 3 because 3D Mario games are really good, a new Metroid (obviously) and a new SoulCalibur with Link as a guest fighter again.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#14 Posted: 22:02:13 22/03/2016
They could be compatible,we have no idea just like anything else about the NX.

Zelda U still coming to the WiiU, they could do it like Twilight Princess unless it's too risky to keep producing on that console. The article says that new games will still be released.
---
#15 Posted: 22:09:31 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Zelda Wii U has already been confirmed to get the Twilight Princess treatment due to another leak.
---
#16 Posted: 22:27:08 22/03/2016
Zelda Wii U has already been confirmed to get the Twilight Princess treatment due to another leak.

Was it in the budget leak with the 2016 3DS LineUp and Wii U/3DS Marketing budget?
---
words. letters. filler.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#17 Posted: 22:37:26 22/03/2016
Goodbye any sliver of a chance of Animal Crossing Wii U.
#18 Posted: 22:38:59 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

Was it in the budget leak with the 2016 3DS LineUp and Wii U/3DS Marketing budget?

Yes, that one.

I mean considering that it has been on point with all relevant titles so far, I really see no reason to doubt it, especially since Zelda Wii U being ported to the NX would be a no-brainer if the Wii U is going out of production. And they did do it before with Twilight Princess.

It's still coming out on Wii U though, so no need to worry if you aren't getting an NX.
---
#19 Posted: 23:14:16 22/03/2016

No, but if it does then it would be cool.
---
#20 Posted: 23:23:11 22/03/2016

Yes, that one.

I mean considering that it has been on point with all relevant titles so far, I really see no reason to doubt it, especially since Zelda Wii U being ported to the NX would be a no-brainer if the Wii U is going out of production. And they did do it before with Twilight Princess.

It's still coming out on Wii U though, so no need to worry if you aren't getting an NX.

At least that's not that big of a worry.
Oh man, I jumped the gun last year and I don't regret it because of Bayonetta 2, but it'd feel like a waste to sell it back again immediately just to get to the next gen early for once. Actually,it is a waste,nobody in Brazil bothers with it and I can only sell it for cheaper than what I got even with that and digital Skylanders Superchargers now. Considering the Wii, at least that series ought to get plenty of years on it before they drop the console entirely.
---
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#21 Posted: 23:31:24 22/03/2016
What?! Oh come on, I bought mine last christmas! The Wii U really doesn't have a lot of good games, but I don't have money for the NX.
#22 Posted: 23:40:15 22/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost

Yes, that one.

At least that's not that big of a worry.
Oh man, I jumped the gun last year and I don't regret it because of Bayonetta 2, but it'd feel like a waste to sell it back again immediately just to get to the next gen early for once. Actually,it is a waste,nobody in Brazil bothers with it and I can only sell it for cheaper than what I got even with that and digital Skylanders Superchargers now. Considering the Wii, at least that series ought to get plenty of years on it before they drop the console entirely.

I mean you can still buy the backlog of gam-

*you live in Brazil*

Actually now that I think of it, you're probably among the group most effected by this, I'd understand any frustration there. I suppose digital is still an option though, by the sound of it.
---
#23 Posted: 23:44:02 22/03/2016
I set my address to a random store in New Jersey, at least with that I'm not affected. But there might be a time where they won't accept eShop cards anymore, and since I can't use brazilian card addresses, I might be unable to buy anything digital once that happens, CDs only.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:44:40 22/03/2016 by Bifrost
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#24 Posted: 00:20:40 23/03/2016
I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, new console from a publisher I'm always interested in, sweet. But... It just feels like they didn't really give the Wii U much of a chance. I mean, I got mine for Christmas back in 2012 when it first came out, so it has been six years. But even then I still enjoy it. And I'll probably still play it even if I do decide to get the NX, whether for Christmas or if I can find one on sale. At the moment I'm just waiting to see what it is and if any good games will come out for it.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#25 Posted: 02:00:10 23/03/2016

No, but if it does then it would be cool.

We had concept trademarks back when we first started hearing about the NX with it having a terminal to read handheld games, and a controller similar to the Wii U's gamepad but that was it's own unit with the similar function of being a handheld.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ni...358226218726486
http://www.extremetech.com/gam...eld-and-console
(I really hate using the following source but it was much more detailed and doesn't require an account like WSJ)
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10...onsole-handheld
---
words. letters. filler.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#26 Posted: 04:32:03 23/03/2016
Nintendo is denying this report as false. That said, it would be pretty foolish of them to say "Yeah, we're giving up on it about now", so take it with a grain of salt.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:04:13 23/03/2016 by LunarDistortion
#27 Posted: 05:08:32 23/03/2016
Quote: LunarDistortion
Nintendo is denying this report as false. Rest easy for now, anyone who recently got a Wii U!

They also denied all claims of the 3DS getting a revision a week before the XL was announced, and that Twilight Princess was coming to the Revolution (Wii's codename). It doesn't necessarily prove anything, that's just their standard protocol for rumors :/
---
words. letters. filler.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:08:50 23/03/2016 by TacoMakerSkys
#28 Posted: 09:00:15 23/03/2016
Next quarter is only until September.

They pretty much went "well, they're not wrong, but not so fast".
---
#29 Posted: 12:56:53 23/03/2016
Quote:

Quote:
I personally would've liked to have a lot more variety, unless, as I said, I'm missing out big time on some other exclusives for the console.

That depends on your tastes and all, but if you want my recommendation, LEGO City: Undercover is a Wii U exclusive that came out during the launch window of the Wii U that a lot of people just sort of forgot about it, for some reason.

It's easily one of the best Wii U exclusives out there. It's basically GTA with LEGOs.

I'll have to check that out, I heard a lot of good things about that and I do enjoy me some Lego games.

Quote: Bifrost
Next quarter is only until September.

They pretty much went "well, they're not wrong, but not so fast".

They said in the statement that it would at least go until the end of the current fiscal year, so wouldn't that mean next April?
---
Cool cool.
#30 Posted: 14:32:49 23/03/2016
Oh, it's Gematsu that's saying quarter. The editor was correcting a mistake in a hurry and kept it wrong,welp. My mistake in thinking they paraphrased it right.
---
OnionCakes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#31 Posted: 15:18:57 23/03/2016
Kotaku just released an article. Nintendo released a statement saying NONE of this is TRUE.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-den...-soo-1766548639
---
Check out my boyfriends Skylander ARTWORK
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108425
http://jacob-a-sweet.tumblr.com/
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me