darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning
First | Previous | Page 624 of 636 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 622 623 624 625 626 ... 634 635 636
Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning [STICKY]
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#31151 Posted: 17:04:20 18/02/2018
We don't know if it's VV yet. Rumors can be true but the source might also be getting info that has yet to be decided or truly revealed.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:04:49 18/02/2018 by Bifrost
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#31152 Posted: 18:22:25 18/02/2018
While Skylanders technically has online multiplayer and "games as a service" aspects, I don't think they would be mentioning those things before everything else if they were just making another regular Skylanders game. It sounds more like we'll be getting an MMO styled game with lots of DLC and microtransactions. Which could still be a Skylanders game, but it would be a completely different kind of Skylanders game.
---
Boop me if you see this.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#31153 Posted: 21:40:32 18/02/2018
Quote: Muffin Man
While Skylanders technically has online multiplayer and "games as a service" aspects, I don't think they would be mentioning those things before everything else if they were just making another regular Skylanders game. It sounds more like we'll be getting an MMO styled game with lots of DLC and microtransactions. Which could still be a Skylanders game, but it would be a completely different kind of Skylanders game.

The Legend of Skylanders: Breath of the DLC
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#31154 Posted: 03:11:01 19/02/2018

- - -
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#31155 Posted: 17:32:39 19/02/2018
LOL!....

[User Posted Image]

Quote: ninja9351
I'd also like to say that this job listing here-http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/sr-executive-producer-toys-for-bob-novato-california-32451 (no longer available at TFB's website) is very interesting.

It specifically mentions that this is a Game as a Service (Gaas) game.

I had to look up what that means, but essentially it's just a game that receives post-launch support in an effort to maintain an audience. This can be through microtransactions, DLC, or even free updates in an attempt to drive new sales. Technically speaking, Skylanders is a GaaS. That being said, almost every Activision game is a GaaS at this point in time. (Destiny, CoD, Skylanders, all of King's games, all of Blizzard's games)

Just something else that's worth taking note of.

you should also take not that in the later months companyes have gone from 'game as serivce' to 'live services'... it basically means always online where you can not play offline and they can monetizes a game forever.

some links here you can see the change in wording happen...
https://venturebeat.com/2017/0...mpanys-success/
https://www.usgamer.net/articl...ames-for-longer
https://www.tweaktown.com/news...ings/index.html
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:43:31 19/02/2018 by Buuzer
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#31156 Posted: 14:44:18 20/02/2018
Quote: ZapNorris
giants was my favorite in all honesty. might just be the nostalgia talking but everything just felt so... magical with that game.

It did have the most Magic...its not just you...it felt more "personal", after that it became this AAA title with a larger budget and larger expectations - the fervor was fun, but the magic dissipated quickly.

when I finally finish relocating Skylander's to the playroom, maybe I'll do a Giants run with my son. He couldn't even talk yet when it came out, now he's about to turn 7. Time flies. I remember using the mini-figures to make him think he was playing, like handing your little brother an unplugged controller.
- Unreall
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#31157 Posted: 15:40:55 20/02/2018
I feel awful for saying this, since everyone seems to love Giants so much, but for me it felt cheap and odd and ugly. And it had the joint worst roster as well in my opinion (Superchargers being the other contender).

I haven't played it for years, admittedly, but all I remember are the Giants themselves being frustratingly slow, Wilikin village which really creeped me out, and the graphics feeling... I dunno, is dirty the way to describe it?

Okay, rant over! Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but I had to say that. (Maybe I can edit this post to include a passionate speech about my love for Swap Force to balance things out)
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#31158 Posted: 15:54:57 20/02/2018
I admit I'm surprised how much love Giants is getting. I love it but c'mon SF, TT and even SSC I love more. Maybe it's nostalgia.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#31159 Posted: 16:37:09 20/02/2018
Quote: Unreallystic
giants was my favorite in all honesty. might just be the nostalgia talking but everything just felt so... magical with that game.

It did have the most Magic...its not just you...it felt more "personal", after that it became this AAA title with a larger budget and larger expectations - the fervor was fun, but the magic dissipated quickly.

when I finally finish relocating Skylander's to the playroom, maybe I'll do a Giants run with my son. He couldn't even talk yet when it came out, now he's about to turn 7. Time flies. I remember using the mini-figures to make him think he was playing, like handing your little brother an unplugged controller.
- Unreall

I think you nailed what I have bee thinking for quite a few years.

SWAP Force, Trap Team, SuperChargers and Imaginators have some undeniably better aspects, such as the graphics, the animations and in certain cases the characters and the story.
But they almost feel... Well, “expected”.

It’s like after Giants Activision said “ok, we are going to make a new game every year from now on so go create some new Skylanders and a story to justify a new chapter”.
I don’t mean it in a completely bad way, can’t blame Activision because they had a comprehensible long-terms plan in mind nor V.V. and TfB for what they’ve been able to bring us, but that “magic” from the first two entries got lost along the way.

A sequel to Spyro’s Adventure was likely to happen, but it was never as taken for granted as all the ones we’ve got after that.
Don’t know about you, but I was jumping with excitement when they announced it because I thought they would have simply released more figures for the first game and called it a deal.
I was incredibly happy for SWAP Force as well, but more for the technical improvements rather than the actual announcement itself.
Distinctly remember the difference between the first time I saw both trailers.

Perhaps I’m being a bit naive, of course they were going to make sequels after the success of Spyro’s Adventure.
Yet I cannot help but feel the mentality behind the series changed, turning it into something more mechanical and less magical and making it loose part of its soul in the process.

New games are good if not even great, but they changed, and not only aesthetically.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:40:29 20/02/2018 by Drek95
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#31160 Posted: 19:19:35 20/02/2018
I don't understand the love for Giants. It felt like an expansion pack for Spyro's Adventure. It also looks like an PS2 game with HD resolution, even A Hero's Tail and TLOS had better graphics on PS2 as Giants for PS3/WiiU/Xbox360
Swap Force was the game which brought the franchise to the next level as true first HD Skylanders with new gameplay features like jumping.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:19:58 20/02/2018 by XSparxX
#31161 Posted: 19:26:02 20/02/2018
Better graphics don't always mean better game, though(just look at DOTD). And people do like SSA.
---
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#31162 Posted: 19:26:28 20/02/2018
Quote: XSparxX
I don't understand the love for Giants. It felt like an expansion pack for Spyro's Adventure. It also looks like an PS2 game with HD resolution, even A Hero's Tail and TLOS had better graphics on PS2 as Giants for PS3/WiiU/Xbox360
Swap Force was the game which brought the franchise to the next level as true first HD Skylanders with new gameplay features like jumping.

Honestly, I think it’s because it’s like Spyro’s Adventure but better.

Also I hated jumping. SSF has other things but jumping is just... ugh.
---
Soon.
#31163 Posted: 19:27:20 20/02/2018
Jumping was a god send.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#31164 Posted: 19:50:42 20/02/2018
I love the platforming aspect that jumping brought, and I wish it had been there from the start. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. It gave the series a different feel.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#31165 Posted: 20:17:58 20/02/2018
Giants was pretty good, and I find it to be the most nostalgic title for me, for some reason. Imaginators is my favorite, though.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#31166 Posted: 20:35:09 20/02/2018
Now granted, I haven't looked at newer Skylanders' gameplay, but I find it amusing that people had a problem with jumping in them. As a classic Spyro fan, that was all about platforming and jumping and gliding from place to place. I know a lot of Skylanders fans aren't Spyro fans, and I understand that, but that's a funny thing to me.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:47 20/02/2018 by JCW555
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#31167 Posted: 20:47:44 20/02/2018
the advantage is you get more content well after the release of the game
---
THE END IS NEAR
#31168 Posted: 21:00:59 20/02/2018
I'd also like to say that this job listing here-http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/sr-executive-producer-toys-for-bob-novato-california-32451 (no longer available at TFB's website) is very interesting.

I had to look up what that means, but essentially it's just a game that receives post-launch support in an effort to maintain an audience. This can be through microtransactions, DLC, or even free updates in an attempt to drive new sales. Technically speaking, Skylanders is a GaaS. That being said, almost every Activision game is a GaaS at this point in time. (Destiny, CoD, Skylanders, all of King's games, all of Blizzard's games)

listen, kid. you're the only one here who still hasn't realized it, so allow me to put this in a way you'll understand.

WE'RE NOT GETTING A NEW GAME THIS YEAR.
#31169 Posted: 21:03:23 20/02/2018

listen, kid. you're the only one here who still hasn't realized it, so allow me to put this in a way you'll understand.

WE'RE NOT GETTING A NEW GAME THIS YEAR.

Jesus, lay off him, will you?

If he wants to believe it, let him. It's his choice. He can think whatever he thinks and you should respect that.
---
#31170 Posted: 21:08:18 20/02/2018
if the ideology spreads, then false news spreads, and we get a bunch of people going at acti's throat for nothing, and nobody needs that.

i'm doing us a favor.
#31171 Posted: 21:11:47 20/02/2018
Hey remember when a mod told you to cut that out
---
#31172 Posted: 21:14:01 20/02/2018
if the ideology spreads, then false news spreads, and we get a bunch of people going at acti's throat for nothing, and nobody needs that.

i'm doing us a favor.

No, you really aren't.

He isn't saying that there definitely WILL be a Skylanders game. He just taking note of this fact and suggesting it as a potential possibility.

Meanwhile, you're forcing your ideas on everyone and acting like people can't have their own opinions.

I don't want to argue with you, as I consider you a good friend, but you really need to stop acting like everything you say is fact and everyone else is wrong.

Maturity =/= Authority
---
#31173 Posted: 21:19:41 20/02/2018
Quote: JCW555
Now granted, I haven't looked at newer Skylanders' gameplay, but I find it amusing that people had a problem with jumping in them. As a classic Spyro fan, that was all about platforming and jumping and gliding from place to place. I know a lot of Skylanders fans aren't Spyro fans, and I understand that, but that's a funny thing to me.

Well the thing is Spyro’s gameplay was centered around platforming from the beginning.
---
Soon.
#31174 Posted: 21:42:12 20/02/2018
Obliterated, and he avoided the usual kind of tasteless joke that comes with that character. A BBQ worthy simmer.

On topic, I wonder if this rumored March event might have skylanders mobile news? Gotta announce that somewhere.
---
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#31175 Posted: 00:41:12 21/02/2018
Would it be better or worse for the potential of another console game in the coming years if the mobile game doesn't go ahead or bombs badly if it does proceed?
#31176 Posted: 00:42:17 21/02/2018
Quote: kaosmumishot
Would it be better or worse for the potential of another console game in the coming years if the mobile game doesn't go ahead or bombs badly if it does proceed?

It shouldn't affect anything because it's a mobile game you're trying to offer to console players - limitations of the plataform included, but they'll find an excuse.
---
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#31177 Posted: 00:49:03 21/02/2018
The original Skylanders Spyros Adventure is still my favourite by a long way. Partly for nostalgic reasons, but I also loved the story, chapter length, numbers of chapters, rosters etc. Giants was really good but I'm surprised people like it more than the original.

Initially I really didn't like Swap Force and still find it soulless compared to the first two, but I've been playing it again for the past few weeks and I must admit I am enjoying it more. Chapters are still crazy long, but I am appreciating that a little more now that there are no more Skylanders games coming in the foreseeable future.
#31178 Posted: 19:30:49 21/02/2018
Quote: XSparxX

it looks like a ps2 game???.. i must disagree here giants was big step up from the first game and it looked good on the ps3/xb360, but it really did shine on the wiiu.. and it was in true hd.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#31179 Posted: 19:31:07 21/02/2018
Quote: Chompy-King257

i'm doing us a favor.

No, you really aren't.

He isn't saying that there definitely WILL be a Skylanders game. He just taking note of this fact and suggesting it as a potential possibility.

Meanwhile, you're forcing your ideas on everyone and acting like people can't have their own opinions.

I don't want to argue with you, as I consider you a good friend, but you really need to stop acting like everything you say is fact and everyone else is wrong.

Maturity =/= Authority

Precisely. I have stated multiple times that I DO NOT THINK WE ARE GETTING A GAME. I currently say there is about a 30% chance of it actually happening, although honestly there's probably less of a chance of that. We can't exclude it though.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#31180 Posted: 23:39:59 21/02/2018
PortalMasterTV's review of Portal Master's Guide to Skylands is finally out! I'm not seeing anything big right now, but it's there, it came out, we can stop panicking.

They finally confirmed Kaossandra's name in main canon and why didn't they ****ing tell Eric about this now we have to fix all the wiki articles AGAIN
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#31181 Posted: 23:57:23 21/02/2018
I was about to say Nightshade and Luminous weren’t actual Doom Raiders, but after checking the Wiki it seems I remembered incorrectly.

Finally knowing Kaos’ Mom name is great, but I’m more interested in that timeline at the end, especially since we tried to create one in the past.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:59:59 13/03/2018 by Drek95
GaiaMemories Emerald Sparx Gems: 3753
#31182 Posted: 23:58:52 21/02/2018
No light and dark on the cover. Darn

I just played Imaginators for the first time since November.....and it was fun. It was nice after months of getting killed over and over to play a bit of a simple and fun game.

And I still smile when playing as Blaster Tron. Such a fun character.
---
Hahahahaha
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#31183 Posted: 14:59:20 22/02/2018
Quote: yelvy
I feel awful for saying this, since everyone seems to love Giants so much, but for me it felt cheap and odd and ugly. And it had the joint worst roster as well in my opinion (Superchargers being the other contender).

I haven't played it for years, admittedly, but all I remember are the Giants themselves being frustratingly slow, Wilikin village which really creeped me out, and the graphics feeling... I dunno, is dirty the way to describe it?

Okay, rant over! Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but I had to say that. (Maybe I can edit this post to include a passionate speech about my love for Swap Force to balance things out)

That's how I felt the first time I played Giants. The second time was a lot better though, especially when I had faster Giants and a greater roster of characters. I had originally bought the Booster Pack, which just came with the game and Tree-Rex, so that's why my opinions on it were so low. I think that game more than any other is vastly improved with a greater roster of characters, especially Gimmicklanders.

As for the visuals, I have to agree. Dirty textures is a way to go, but I'd say "muddy" is more apt for some of the surfaces, whereas some of the characters and objects look like they're sculpted out of a hunk of dirt. It was a noticeable step down from SSA's art style and graphical fidelity in my opinion, and jarring for almost the entire experience. I can't say much about Wilikin Village though, I wasn't a huge fan of that (so much so that I didn't film it for the review linked above, there wasn't much of interest going on).

Don't worry about disliking a game either. We've all got our preferences BUT FAIL TO APPEASE THE AMETHYST DRAKE AND YOU SHALL BE QUICK TO RETRACT YOUR HERETICAL STATEMENTS, and some of us get a little defensive, but it leads to good discussion a lot of the time. smilie
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#31184 Posted: 16:01:55 22/02/2018
Honestly, I find Giants nearly unplayable after playing the newer games. Like others said, it feels like a PS2 port, and you can tell they were on quite a budget back then. To me, Trap Team feels like Giants for the modern era, having pretty much every feature from Giants amped up and expanded.
#31185 Posted: 16:37:45 22/02/2018
Ah, 'muddy' is the word I was looking for, I think. Thanks!

Yeah, I can't say I've played SSA recently but I can accept the graphics on that, either because they're better or they were not the sequel (because you expect them to improve (not get worse) with each game).

The booster pack didn't help things, I agree.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#31186 Posted: 19:11:36 22/02/2018
It's been a long time since I last played Giants and I look forward to playing it again someday. However, while it is my second favourite game (tying with SSA) after Imaginators, I'm worried that it hasn't aged well and that I might not enjoy it as much as I used to.
Buchi Ripto Gems: 445
#31187 Posted: 05:03:49 23/02/2018
Yeah, despite Giants being my favourite Skylanders game, I'll definitely admit SA's hub was better by far. However, I don't think it's as bad as people say either.

It had a few secrets or minigames, like Skystones, or the hat store. Although the whole thing didn't look like much, I'd take what I mentioned over a large open area with barely anything anyday... I can't remember any particular examples for that in Skylanders, but I vaguely remember SF or TT's not having much secrets either? Giant's felt a lot bigger than it looked.
#31188 Posted: 11:38:47 23/02/2018
when are they gonna put in the 'like' button on this forum???... its sorely missed.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#31189 Posted: 19:11:53 23/02/2018
Drawdler, you've just reminded me of how much I miss those paths only accessible with certain elements/abilities! I remember characters that could fly (like Spyro) could get over those water/lava patches as well, and some soul gems relied on those areas (Stump Smash had some kind of regeneration power I think).

The fact that those areas never returned made a lot of upgrades from SSA useless. Whirlwind, for example, can fly, but doesn't have any powers building on that, so I hardly bother with it. And I can't remember what happened to Stump Smash's soul gem, I'm guessing it was changed?
dolcechaos24 Red Sparx Gems: 31
#31190 Posted: 01:07:16 24/02/2018
Any direct comment froM Activision on the ongoing life of Skylanders would be nice!!!
#31191 Posted: 04:36:30 24/02/2018
Element themed terrain should have been expanded on, not removed. Every element should eventually have been given a certain type of terrain that only they can traverse.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#31192 Posted: 10:35:12 24/02/2018
Quote: dolcechaos24
Any direct comment froM Activision on the ongoing life of Skylanders would be nice!!!

they will never admit they killed it.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#31193 Posted: 12:26:57 24/02/2018
Quote: Muffin Man
Element themed terrain should have been expanded on, not removed. Every element should eventually have been given a certain type of terrain that only they can traverse.

It'd start breaking immersion though. Why can't non-Life guys walk over vines? Non-tech over machinery? Etc etc. It's better to have a few terrain types and have the others unlock areas instead, kinda like the secret vines in Perilous Pastures.
---
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#31194 Posted: 14:53:38 24/02/2018
I was thinking Life Skylanders could control path-blocking plants, Light Skylanders could illuminate dark areas, Tech Skylanders could turn on/off machinery such as moving bridges and Undead Skylanders could either remove giant bones or phase through certain walls like ghosts.
#31195 Posted: 15:40:01 24/02/2018
Yeah, they just need to think of a terrain that makes sense for each element. Life Skylanders could make plant life move around and create new paths through the environment. Tech skylanders could similarly activate machinery. Undead could travel through haunted areas filled with spirits that attack non-undead Skylanders. Air skylanders could travel through super windy areas that blow other skylanders all around the map. Stuff like that.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#31196 Posted: 16:18:07 24/02/2018
Yeah, I like the idea of Life Skylanders making branching paths in levels.
---
#31197 Posted: 16:31:04 24/02/2018
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Yeah, that would bring the series back to it’s roots.
---
Soon.
#31198 Posted: 16:43:30 24/02/2018
Quote: emeraldzoroark
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Yeah, that would bring the series back to it’s roots.

i swear to god
---
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#31199 Posted: 17:43:06 24/02/2018
I've always been an advocate for the expansion of elemental themes, or just the element mechanic in general. I would like to see Life characters snare enemies with roots while on grass as an optional ability, or Fire characters to burn enemies over time with standard attacks, and Water characters to slow foes, etc. I do like the suggestions made here though in regards to accessing certain places such as levers and casting spells to move barriers, rather than just standing in front of a door, the door goes away and a bridge is made. I'd like to choose characters not because "I need this level opening and a [gimmick] Skylander" but because the character's animations and effects are cool, especially in certain zones. A flat increase to damage is never exciting in my opinion. "Bring the character, not the class" and all that.
First | Previous | Page 624 of 636 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 622 623 624 625 626 ... 634 635 636

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me