darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > GDC Live Demonstration of Character and Toy Design for Skylanders panel
Page 1 of 1
GDC Live Demonstration of Character and Toy Design for Skylanders panel
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#1 Posted: 10:56:44 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
http://schedule.gdconf.com/ses...-for-skylanders

As so this doesn't get lost in the discussion thread. Today Dave and some other guys at VV are holding a panel about desigining Skylanders. If you like the Meet the Superchargers videos cross your fingers for video archives soon, because it'll be an in-depth version of that (and hopefully no Guha Bala buzzwording it and taking seconds from the other devs)
Some of his practice designs from Dave's twitter if you guys need a refresher on his style(which is not 100% what you see on VV's lineups)

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

Since several people mistook these for Sky 7 stuff already, keep in mind those are practice designs. The dev team could take a liking to them, or gimmick/lack of space or simply not liking it means they could never see the light of day.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#2 Posted: 15:20:57 17/03/2016
Hopefully someone of the community will be able to attend and share his impressions about the session.

The lady skylanders looks very "Skylanderish", the insectoid one would fit better in other games imo, unless he gets a massive change. But who knows...
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
#3 Posted: 15:26:15 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Insectoid alien could fit as an NPC more, yeah. Less about the design and more is that they wouldn't translate well to figure - very wide and tall in parts unless you make a super cramped pose which wouldn't make the toy look good.
---
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#4 Posted: 17:23:17 17/03/2016
Or maybe including as an enemy, but still don't seem him fit.

By the way, maybe they'll give the first hints to sky 6 in the session...just hoping.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#5 Posted: 18:37:05 17/03/2016
I wonder what element the bug would be, I'd say Magic. He doesn't really fit Life, as he doesn't have any natural aspects and Light would just be an Astroblast rip-off. The Frankenstein lady looks interesting, just take the bombs... not the arm... don't take the arm.
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#6 Posted: 19:06:17 17/03/2016
New photo on Dave's Twitter: a froggy guy! Or a chameleon? Can't post photo, as I don't even wanna mess around on mobile, but it's up there.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:07:06 17/03/2016 by BlueFox
#7 Posted: 19:06:54 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
We got reactions and prototypes!

[User Posted Image]

Punk Shock rule 63--I mean froggy guy. Totes not an already explored design.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:07:43 17/03/2016 by Bifrost
#8 Posted: 19:15:46 17/03/2016
Well, he did say something new. Seems to know it's not too original.

Thought it was proto-Riptide at first. I've seen way too many of those. V.V. could make a game centered around all of them if they wanted to. Though I hope they wouldn't dare.

Wait, wait, wait. That doesn't look like a froggy guy. Turned my brightness up for once and it looks a bit like a manta ray. In the face, at least. I think?
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:18:14 17/03/2016 by BlueFox
#9 Posted: 19:21:18 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
It's a mantaray, yeah, the lower jaw is split and he has the cape thingy over his neck, also the stinger tail. Would make good design if not put over a Punk Shock/ Rip Tide frame; they could definately pull off a water treasure hunter motif with him or something.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#10 Posted: 19:31:14 17/03/2016
Quote: Bifrost
We got reactions and prototypes!

[User Posted Image]

Punk Shock rule 63--I mean froggy guy. Totes not an already explored design.

I wouldn't mind seeing him. He's got a lot of personality and a treasure hunter fits him very well.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#11 Posted: 19:34:08 17/03/2016
[User Posted Image]

She's purty.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:34:30 17/03/2016 by BlueFox
#12 Posted: 19:37:52 17/03/2016
Love it.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#13 Posted: 19:43:52 17/03/2016
Quote: BlueFox
[User Posted Image]

She's purty.

You got that right. This cutie needs to become a real Skylander? How could they not make her an official character? She's perfect for smilie and they could be friends since childhood.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#14 Posted: 19:59:19 17/03/2016
I'd say Tech but V.V. would probably never allow a Skylander from that Element to not be completely robotic.
Plus he (?) looks waaaay too futuristic even for them.
Overall I agree the concept would suit better an NPC rather than a Skylander, or even an enemy if it was less detailed.

That zombie would be a perfect Undead Skylander for the seventh game, especially with the arm version!

EDIT: wooow! Two more designs already.

The manta-ray Rip Tide guy looks fine but I'd sincerely prefer a less techy and more fantasy look.
Love the idea of a treasure hunter Skylander.

Not digging the ghost samurai girl.
The idea is cool but I think we can see something better than a female Grim Creeper wearing the armor.
Not all the ghosts have to look that way.

I'm waiting for less humanoid designs though.
Want to see "V.V." exit their comfort zone. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:11:34 17/03/2016 by Drek95
#15 Posted: 19:59:50 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Still waiting for actual TFB ghosts, not MOBAs and friends-lite :I Had enough of fiery-heads-with-skeletons for a un-lifetime, always found the TFB ghosts to be really weird with how they have the uncanny face and a different voice pattern every time.

Aww, they had another panel on effects but it got cancelled.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 20:02:52 17/03/2016 by Bifrost
#16 Posted: 20:03:22 17/03/2016
Still waiting for actual TFB ghosts, not MOBAs and friends-lite :I Had enough of fiery-heads-with-skeletons for a un-lifetime, always found the TFB ghosts to be really weird with how they have the uncanny face and a different voice pattern every time.

I like how they're consistently blue though. It fits pretty well.

I always referred ghostly skeletons in Skylands to be their own species called Skele-ghouls (Or Skele-geist)
---
#17 Posted: 20:06:02 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Color is fine, I mean let's just slap a family-friendly Tresh(there's ANOTHER one I'm thinking of but I can't remember the name) as every ghost because that's original. Even the single ghost in console SC is blue-fiery-head though he's almost liquid-ish.

There's probably some mythology out there with names for those, I'd just go with Wight or something. That's one that they didn't use yet.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:06:57 17/03/2016 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#18 Posted: 20:38:17 17/03/2016
These designs look interesting, tough they might not got in because of the similarities to other characters, or they are prototypes of these characters.
---
Bruh
#19 Posted: 20:39:41 17/03/2016
I kinda disagree with you Drek on the wanting a more fantasy look to the Manta Ray.

Skylanders is very much like Adventure Time. Where pretty much anything can exist from Wizards to robots (And I know you love that idea, obviously). I think they should try to represent both and not just focus on fantasy characters or Tech, but a good mix of both.
---
#20 Posted: 20:43:56 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
Skylanders' lore helps very different technology period to exist at the same time, I think it's fine(though the majority is still pre-industrial that's pretty obvious from Mabu settlements),the problem is VV slapping tech-y stuff like pipes and valves on everything for no good reason. Why do they have like a dozen furnaces on posts in the Academy again?
---
#21 Posted: 20:46:29 17/03/2016
While I doubt Skylaners are too industrial, I like to think they have TVs and some form of internet.

Actually is there any evidence of TVs in Skylands?
---
#22 Posted: 20:53:04 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
No TVs, but seems like they went straight to holograms since Buzz has a fully functional machine for them in Battlecast; and Kaos records videos in Trap Team. It's probably a case of what looks cooler,and regular TVs nowadays aren't that much.

Well, with the elemental flunctuations and all, feels like areas with more affinity to Tech should've had more urge to create and advance than the rest,while others rely on their own element or, like the Mabu,stick to doing whatever makes them comfy.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:54:40 17/03/2016 by Bifrost
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#23 Posted: 21:00:22 17/03/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I kinda disagree with you Drek on the wanting a more fantasy look to the Manta Ray.

Skylanders is very much like Adventure Time. Where pretty much anything can exist from Wizards to robots (And I know you love that idea, obviously). I think they should try to represent both and not just focus on fantasy characters or Tech, but a good mix of both.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you!

Skylanders goes from trolls and elves to mechs, cyborgs and spacemen and this is what I love about it: no limits.
The point is you still need to keep the feel of the series intact; for example I loved Magna Charge or Countdown's looks but wasn't too keen on Spy Rise.
V.V. has proven to be able to create techy yet fitting designs and that's why I "criticize" them when they go futuristic for the sake of it.
It's not limitating the creativity it's... Conveying and dosing it. smilie

This case is really a matter of personal opinion though.
I'd simply prefer him to wear a different outfit and use a less technologic weapon and that's all.
Can't even complain about him looking like Rip Tide, really, since it's only a matter of 'blue bulky amphibian guy in a suit".
I will accept him exactly like I accepted (and liked) Bumble "honey tree Zook" Blast.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:03:12 17/03/2016 by Drek95
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#24 Posted: 21:32:05 17/03/2016
Well, so far my favorite is the Ghost Samurai Girl.

I really hope these are gonna be further explored in Sky 6.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#25 Posted: 21:37:49 17/03/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03
Well, so far my favorite is the Ghost Samurai Girl.

I really hope these are gonna be further explored in Sky 6.

Awwww.....makes me want a Skylander game made by both VV and TfB.

Imagine what they could do together *_*
---
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#26 Posted: 21:45:49 17/03/2016
No TVs, but seems like they went straight to holograms since Buzz has a fully functional machine for them in Battlecast; and Kaos records videos in Trap Team. It's probably a case of what looks cooler,and regular TVs nowadays aren't that much.

Well, with the elemental flunctuations and all, feels like areas with more affinity to Tech should've had more urge to create and advance than the rest,while others rely on their own element or, like the Mabu,stick to doing whatever makes them comfy.

Didn't a comic show Dive-Clops has a TV in the Dive Bomber, where he can communicate with the academy?
---
Dead
#27 Posted: 21:47:03 17/03/2016 | Topic Creator
I didn't buy Issues 4 or 5 so I don't actually know D: I know the Gillmen he tries to help used radio instead.
---
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#28 Posted: 21:58:23 17/03/2016
I didn't buy Issues 4 or 5 so I don't actually know D: I know the Gillmen he tries to help used radio instead.

I guess he does, I found a picture in the comics thread. (Spoilered because it's a pretty big image)

[User Posted Image]
---
Dead
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#29 Posted: 01:20:06 20/03/2016
A zombie Skylander is long overdue imo. I wonder if the arm means she's the bride of Frankenstein's Monster?
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#30 Posted: 04:30:11 20/03/2016
I love those designs. Particularly the Manta Ray.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#31 Posted: 22:30:14 23/03/2016
Come on Kaos' mom was using darn Skype in Swap Force kjsdfklgfkllsdkflkads
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
Zekrom Prime Blue Sparx Gems: 816
#32 Posted: 01:57:22 28/10/2016
http://schedule.gdconf.com/ses...-for-skylanders

As so this doesn't get lost in the discussion thread. Today Dave and some other guys at VV are holding a panel about desigining Skylanders. If you like the Meet the Superchargers videos cross your fingers for video archives soon, because it'll be an in-depth version of that (and hopefully no Guha Bala buzzwording it and taking seconds from the other devs)
Some of his practice designs from Dave's twitter if you guys need a refresher on his style(which is not 100% what you see on VV's lineups)

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

Since several people mistook these for Sky 7 stuff already, keep in mind those are practice designs. The dev team could take a liking to them, or gimmick/lack of space or simply not liking it means they could never see the light of day.

Dave who?
#33 Posted: 16:50:34 17/08/2017 | Topic Creator
That's a hosting error, probably means it's gone but it must be somewhere in Instagram if you look hard enough. We were talking about a samurai ghost girl that looks like Grim Creeper.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:50:47 17/08/2017 by Bifrost
#34 Posted: 17:13:31 17/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Instagram's search is anything but helpful from my experience, but I'd look for things from GDC 2016 and related tags. Unfortunately I don't believe the presentation has been uploaded to youtube and don't know if it'll ever be, but the fans spread the pictures quickly.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me