Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Discussion: Franchise's Phases [CLOSED]
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#1 Posted: 20:41:02 25/01/2016 | Topic Creator
I was thinking of some things. When I see the Skylanders games, I discovered a pattern. Every two games, big changes happen game-wise in the series that affect the next game. Let's give a look:

Spyro's Adventure was the first game. So they can't chance a series that is just starting, right?
Giants, from a gameplay perspective, is extremely similar to Spyro's Adventure. It has the same gameplay style. Just new characters, stages, plot and some tweaks here and there.

Swap Force, though, really changed the franchise's gameplay. It was very different from the first two games. So we closed the First Phase and started the Second Phase here.
Trap Team while having noticeable differences from Swap Force, follows the same style. Just with some tweaks.

SuperChargers started the Third Phase for the series. While the basic Skylanders gameplay is similar to Swap Force and Trap Team, the rest is very different than what we had before. Different toys, some differences in gameplay, how the gimmick works. The small details is what made SuperChargers so different.

And now Imaginators continues the theory, by following many of the things SuperChargers did, like different bases, gimmick customization (Vehicles and Imaginators) and even the logo. The difference keeps at the small details.

So, if the theory keeps being followed, the 7th game may give some big changes on the series, while the 8th one generally follows it, with some little tweaks.

Following what I said, the games look like that:

Phase One
  • Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
  • Skylanders: Giants

Phase Two
  • Skylanders: Swap Force
  • Skylanders: Trap Team

Phase Three
  • Skylanders: SuperChargers
  • Skylanders: Imaginators

While this point of view makes sense for me, there are good points of view of this besides me. A user from here (I think that is ZapNorris) said that the series, for now, can be split in two phases, the first one for Skylander-centered gimmicks, and the second one for Side toys-centered gimmicks. So, we can say that, for now, it's:

Phase One - Skylanders Centered Gimmicks:
  • Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
  • Skylanders: Giants
  • Skylanders: Swap Force

Phase Two - Side Toy Centered Gimmicks:
  • Skylanders: Trap Team
  • Skylanders: SuperChargers
  • Skylanders: Imaginators

So, what's your opinion on that. You follow one of these ways to split the games, have your own way, or you don't split anything at all? Tell your opinion.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:35:00 07/07/2016 by Crash10
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#2 Posted: 22:02:19 25/01/2016
VV really does push the Skylanders brand into new territories for better (SwapForce) or worse (SuperChargers) but I think ZapNorris make a lot of sense as well. Neither of you are wrong but I think the games and the actual toys released are two separate phases meaning that this franchise has two distinct patterns of phases of development. I mean, it's both a toy and video game series so it would make sense.

For me personally I have always been a fan of trilogies so I split it up the way ZapNorris does.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:03:15 25/01/2016 by Hexin_Wishes
Wally-Gang Gold Sparx Gems: 2987
#3 Posted: 15:41:34 28/01/2016
I agree with both thought lines as both seem totally valid. I would like to offer this theory:
TfB created SSA- great game, engaging characters, fun for all, a new arena in gaming (toys to life). They followed with SG- bigger more powerful characters with specific tasks to perform like boulders etc., jumping, introduced sidekicks that really did not add much, but essentially stayed with stuff from SSA otherwise. STT was their third game. Here, they took the Giants and gave them huge weapons and built on the specific task idea with the crystals and elemental gates, added the villians for "life to toys" and made the sidekicks/minis playable (hmm), not to mention the new elements. They are up next, by the way. In all 3, Kaos is the final battle, the big baddie.
VV is responsible for SSF. The gimmick is incredibly imaginative. We were given more extras to do in the hub than the other games combined. The big deal here was the swap zones as specific tasks. And the need for 2 elements to open gates (as this was the first time a solo player would need specific things to open them). SSC is like swap zones on a sugar rush. Another new approach that sprung from a side idea, oops tipped my hand some. Both of these feature Kaos as a stepping stone to an even bigger baddie.
I think the two companies are to a certain degree doing their own things while keeping as much as possible together (feats of strength, traps, swapping). While giving hints about the next game they are making in the one we are playing. The side ideas are the clues and we should be looking for maybe a game surrounding minis for sky 6.
While I agree that there are phases in the evolution, each producer is evolving their own way.
---
"Come rang or shine"
Still troubled by him speaking
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#4 Posted: 19:37:09 07/07/2016 | Topic Creator
It's interesting how the theory is actually feeling true, but it looks like I'm not stretching it any bit.
---
Bruh
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#5 Posted: 20:17:01 07/07/2016
Hmmm... I prefer the two-phase theory from the three-phase theory, but for my own reasons. For me, the first three games feel entirely different to the forth, fifth and sixth games - though do bear in mind I've never played TT.
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#6 Posted: 20:47:49 07/07/2016
In the STT/SSC/SI phase, there's also been gradually reduced side game support.

Trap Team: No support for the new figure type.
SuperChargers: Complete support for the new figure type, at the cost of classic gameplay.
Imaginators: No side game at all.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#7 Posted: 23:17:53 07/07/2016
it's like star wars trilogies

THE FIRST ONE (The ones people think of when they think "skylanders")-
SSA
SG
SSF

THE SECOND ONE (Kinda the prequels in sense of quality)-
STT
SSC (comparable to the phantom menace)
SI

THE THIRD ONE (all bets are off)-
S7
S8
S9

Also, interesting note. Through each "Gen", there's been 3 older video game stars as "guest stars".

GEN1- Spyro, Cynder, Sparx (as a magic item albeit)

GEN2- Crash, Bowser, Donkey Kong

So when Gen3 comes next year, i fully expect 2 more skymiibo (since sky7 is vv) and something completely out of left field from TFB.

OTHER note-

Gen1 is TFB, TFB, VV.

Gen2 is TFB, VV, TFB.

Ge3 will be VV, TFB, VV.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#8 Posted: 08:02:18 08/07/2016
I think like Crash10.

Phase 1: SSA, SG
Phase 2: SSF, STT
Phase 3: SSC, SI
---
bye
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#9 Posted: 05:20:07 10/07/2016
While the two phase thing is correct in putting the first 3 games and the second 3 around each other, I highly doubt on a third phase that might be nothing short of a reboot. Given how many figures there are and that toys to life in general is starting to wane on people and only so many masses are going to keep coming back. Even with one less competitor I feel imaginators is more of an "end" to bookend the first and sixth game and complete five years of the franchise before they move on with more things. if they do continue, i doubt its going to be with any of the known skylanders and entirely new ones in any games after.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me