Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The Official All Purpose The Game Awards 2015 Topic
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
The Official All Purpose The Game Awards 2015 Topic [CLOSED]
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#51 Posted: 04:01:52 04/12/2015
Deadmau5 with the SMW medley, huh.

But the show itself was crap. Too much time spent on cringy segments and ads, so much several nominations were offstage. Some people on the interviews and the stage should've never been given a mic, and Dewritos Pope held that together more than he ever should with the comments.

Glad I finally watched it myself though. Kinda lonely today and streams always make it a little better, plus I wouldn't be able to tell how bad it is from other people's comments until I saw at least one. Never again.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:05:10 04/12/2015 by Bifrost
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#52 Posted: 04:04:50 04/12/2015
It wasn't anything spectacular imo, but it was still better than the VGX two years ago. That still stands as the absolute worst.
---
Cool cool.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#53 Posted: 04:05:11 04/12/2015 | Topic Creator
I like the show overall. It was good. I don't expected extreme awesomeness, like many people. Just a good thing.
---
Bruh
#54 Posted: 04:06:44 04/12/2015
It wasn't good though, E3 is usually MUCH better than this as are the smaller conventions. But yeah,bottom of the barrel is still VGX.

They said there was a Nintendo announcement,what the heck.

Well,there's always PSX coming up soon.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:08:21 04/12/2015 by Bifrost
#55 Posted: 04:09:31 04/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah... What Nintendo announced? Strange. I expected at least a Smash broadcast announcement.
---
Bruh
#56 Posted: 04:11:09 04/12/2015
Quote: Crash10
Yeah... What Nintendo announced? Strange. I expected at least a Smash broadcast announcement.

Reggie mentioned they had 'a few surprises to show' during the Splatoon speech. None whatsoever, I guess.
---
#57 Posted: 04:12:07 04/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Crash10

Reggie mentioned they had 'a few surprises to show' during the Splatoon speech. None whatsoever, I guess.

Eh. Nintendo is strange sometimes.
---
Bruh
#58 Posted: 04:16:17 04/12/2015
Considering all the offstage decisions, I think they just ran out of time. The kind of detached and cold end also seems to give this vibe.
---
#59 Posted: 04:25:05 04/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah. It looks like.

Well, now let's wait for the Smash broadcast. I will update the topic with the winners.

Funny fact: They forgot to give the Shooter of the Year Award, I think. The result showed of after the event.
---
Bruh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:38:03 04/12/2015 by Crash10
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#60 Posted: 04:44:52 04/12/2015
****ING PSYCHONAUGHTS 2.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#61 Posted: 05:43:59 04/12/2015
I'm glad that Splatoon got the Multiplayer award, but I'm confused about the announcement they promised.

The Iwata tribute broke me again...
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#62 Posted: 11:50:57 04/12/2015
I'm so happy something like Splatoon could beat the big AAA bull**** that is EA, Activision and Microsoft.

Sadly it turned out be another day were we all shout "**** Konami" all day.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#63 Posted: 13:14:46 04/12/2015
Quote: parisruelz12
****ING PSYCHONAUGHTS 2.

Tim Schafer couldn't make a 2d point-and-click with that 3 million, don't get your hopes up, he'll find a way to run out of funds again.
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#64 Posted: 15:59:30 04/12/2015
Wow... so few of those games are even that good. ...But I guess I should expect a lot of overrated games like Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 to get awards. Not like it's anything new. ...Also not like anything good really comes out frequently anymore. The only one of those I'd ever play again are Mortal Kombat X and Super Mario Maker.
#65 Posted: 16:05:03 04/12/2015
Overrated doesn't equal bad. Sometimes, occasionaly,it's deserved,and on TWIII's case I heard it was very much deserved, and on MSGV it's partially. Bloodborne not winning a single thing,tho.
---
#66 Posted: 16:11:49 04/12/2015
Overrated doesn't equal bad. Sometimes, occasionaly,it's deserved,and on TWIII's case I heard it was very much deserved, and on MSGV it's partially. Bloodborne not winning a single thing,tho.

I generally don't call something "overrated" unless it's both overrated AND bad. Both of those games have incredibly generic gameplay, dull monochromatic graphics and unlikable characters.
#67 Posted: 16:25:02 04/12/2015
You sure you played them? Because you seem to be talking about different games entirely. Like,everyone talks about how colorful TWIII gets sometimes and how crazy things get in MSGV. Unlikeable also doesn't mean the same as a jerk of a person, those sometimes are more entertaining than boring heroes.

Overrated is still not reasoning to undermine a game. Get it? Because people diss Undertale for being "overrated".
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:26:37 04/12/2015 by Bifrost
#68 Posted: 16:47:36 04/12/2015
You sure you played them? Because you seem to be talking about different games entirely. Like,everyone talks about how colorful TWIII gets sometimes and how crazy things get in MSGV. Unlikeable also doesn't mean the same as a jerk of a person, those sometimes are more entertaining than boring heroes.

Overrated is still not reasoning to undermine a game. Get it? Because people diss Undertale for being "overrated".

Yes, I've played those exact same games. Witcher 3 gets bright in certain areas, but not really all that colorful. Everything always looks washed out. Also, "Crazyness"=/=Fun Factor. As for the characters, no it doesn't. In both games, none of the characters have any real personality to them. I'm sick and tired of seeing overly serious heroes with no personality like Solid **** and the guy from Witcher.

I don't see why not. Sometimes, games really don't deserve the praise they get.
#69 Posted: 17:08:19 04/12/2015
Because praise doesn't come from a game. You judge that from the people that play it,not the games themselves - same applies to saying they have no characters just because you don't like the characters they have. It's the same as saying that someone being annoying is ALL the reason you can dislike something, it's bull because it's subjective. The real reason is that they're loud,or that they steal the spotlight,or because their VAs don't do a good job,or really because you can't find a good argument and just use the nearest shallow word instead of properly analyzing.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:13:12 04/12/2015 by Bifrost
#70 Posted: 19:29:55 04/12/2015
****ING PSYCHONAUGHTS 2.

Tim Schafer couldn't make a 2d point-and-click with that 3 million, don't get your hopes up, he'll find a way to run out of funds again.

I would like you to refer to JCW's PSA in this section.

The entire topic should, actually.

Thank you.
---
#71 Posted: 19:30:23 04/12/2015
Because praise doesn't come from a game. You judge that from the people that play it,not the games themselves - same applies to saying they have no characters just because you don't like the characters they have. It's the same as saying that someone being annoying is ALL the reason you can dislike something, it's bull because it's subjective. The real reason is that they're loud,or that they steal the spotlight,or because their VAs don't do a good job,or really because you can't find a good argument and just use the nearest shallow word instead of properly analyzing.

Oh, I get it, so all I have to do to make a "good game" is to put a bunch of cardboard humans in a bland, emotionless atmosphere, give them a gun or a sword and have them go kill a bunch of random stuff ranging from badass monsters or other cardboard humans, and give them game no real identity in itself. It feels like this is the only kind of stuff people will play. Frankly, I think I have a legit reason to say those games suck. There's really not much defining them, and as far as gameplay goes, both games are pretty damn shallow, also quite clunky too, neither really have exciting, unique gameplay, just everything about BOTH games screams "Been There, Done That." Maybe that's why I can rarely get fired up for any new games is that they're usually all very similar. ...And even when a game DOES look interesting, often times it ends up being really bad. Call me picky if you will, but that's my stance on things: Video Games need new things instead of just generic shooting games and giant monster/alien hunting games and such.
#72 Posted: 19:50:56 04/12/2015
Well, I'm not harassing people over their hype, thought that was the purpose of the PSA, not pointing out Double Fine had the whole finance managing fiasco their last kickstarter and everything is looking too similar.

If you call everything bland and emotionless when looking at the general idea, everything will be. Spyro is a generic collect the thing game.Mario is a generic plataformer game, and after the first issue they never did anything new other than powerups and graphics. That's why we say Spyro is a collect-a-thon with a strange,cool fantasy world,or that Mario is an extremely polished game that doesn't do a whole lot of new but always tries to be in good standing.
I'm not really going to defend the winning games because I never played or even spent too much time watching them(open world LPs tends to be background noise compared to story-driven stuff), I was just trying to elaborate that overrated and generic really aren't good arguments to say a game is bad.
---
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#73 Posted: 22:04:06 04/12/2015
****ING PSYCHONAUGHTS 2.

Thank you.

That doesn't make any sense here.

JCW was saying that people shouldn't harass others for their love of a game or character, an example being sonicbrawler182 and how people chastised him for talking about Rosalina a lot.

Bifrost wasn't doing that at all. He didn't attack you for liking Psychonaughts or being excited for the sequel. He was just saying not to get your hopes up as the creator hasn't had the best track record recently.
#74 Posted: 22:13:42 04/12/2015
Quote: LunarDistortion

Thank you.

That doesn't make any sense here.

JCW was saying that people shouldn't harass others for their love of a game or character, an example being sonicbrawler182 and how people chastised him for talking about Rosalina a lot.

Bifrost wasn't doing that at all. He didn't attack you for liking Psychonaughts or being excited for the sequel. He was just saying not to get your hopes up as the creator hasn't had the best track record recently.

I'm sorry, then.
---
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#75 Posted: 22:59:22 04/12/2015
Rocket League on Xbox One!!!! Hurray!
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#76 Posted: 14:18:25 05/12/2015
How is Mario Maker count as a top tier family game being one player?

I mean, it's an awesome game, but it hardly can count for a family game being one player like it is imo.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:19:07 05/12/2015 by weebbby
#77 Posted: 14:30:13 05/12/2015
Considering it had more nominees than the rest, Best Family Game is probably just a blanket term for kids' game in less polarizing terms. And, with a few exceptions,of course most mainstream reviewers won't bother with those games for too long, and Mario Maker is one that's less "embarassing" to admit you played a ton.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:31:21 05/12/2015 by Bifrost
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#78 Posted: 14:58:53 05/12/2015
Quote: StevemacQ
I'm so happy something like Splatoon could beat the big AAA bull**** that is EA, Activision and Microsoft.

Just a reminder that Nintendo is AAA too.

Just because it's different doesn't make it not AAA.
#79 Posted: 16:14:47 05/12/2015
Well, I'm not harassing people over their hype, thought that was the purpose of the PSA, not pointing out Double Fine had the whole finance managing fiasco their last kickstarter and everything is looking too similar.

If you call everything bland and emotionless when looking at the general idea, everything will be. Spyro is a generic collect the thing game.Mario is a generic plataformer game, and after the first issue they never did anything new other than powerups and graphics. That's why we say Spyro is a collect-a-thon with a strange,cool fantasy world,or that Mario is an extremely polished game that doesn't do a whole lot of new but always tries to be in good standing.
I'm not really going to defend the winning games because I never played or even spent too much time watching them(open world LPs tends to be background noise compared to story-driven stuff), I was just trying to elaborate that overrated and generic really aren't good arguments to say a game is bad.

But Spyro and Mario actually HAVE emotion and personality to them. Also, I gave other arguments.
#80 Posted: 17:35:05 05/12/2015
That I got, I meant that seeing the bigger scope doesn't really show that emotion or personality, especially if you disregard the aesthetics. You presented other arguments than what I mentioned that doesn't work, that's alright and much more reasonable :U

Also,PSX starting in a few minutes, is there any interest for that? Because I'll be watching it live if anyone wants me to post what's shown here.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:50 05/12/2015 by Bifrost
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#81 Posted: 00:15:40 07/12/2015
Quote: MugoUrth

But Spyro and Mario actually HAVE emotion and personality to them. Also, I gave other arguments.

But you deny many other games don't have emotion after being given reasons for those two? Pretty ignorant imo.
---
words. letters. filler.
#82 Posted: 02:04:25 07/12/2015

Uhhhhhhhhh.
#83 Posted: 03:11:21 07/12/2015
Wow... so few of those games are even that good. ...But I guess I should expect a lot of overrated games like Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 to get awards. Not like it's anything new. ...Also not like anything good really comes out frequently anymore. The only one of those I'd ever play again are Mortal Kombat X and Super Mario Maker.

>calls MGSV generic
>says mario isn't

okay.
---
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#84 Posted: 05:33:29 07/12/2015

>calls MGSV generic
>says mario isn't

okay.

It's Mugo. No surprise in that statement.
---
words. letters. filler.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#85 Posted: 11:48:21 07/12/2015
Ehhh I personally don't agree with the choices, such as Rocket League winning Best Independent Game (I honestly think Undertale should have one that one) and Undertale not even getting nominated for Best Soundtrack (probably because of the lack of orchestra). But I guess complaining won't do anything.

I'm happy that Splatoon one best shooter though.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:50:11 07/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#86 Posted: 12:46:37 07/12/2015
Yeah, Splatoon deserves it. As usual Nintendo didn't do the best decisions for it,but they sure knew how to keep the game afloat throught this year while others just kind of died slow deaths until the DLCs.
---
#87 Posted: 15:21:31 07/12/2015

>calls MGSV generic
>says mario isn't

okay.

I said Mario games had personality, I didn't say they weren't generic. (...Which they are.)

Quote: TacoMakerSkys
But you deny many other games don't have emotion after being given reasons for those two? Pretty ignorant imo.

No, not really ignorance at all. Mario himself doesn't have much, but the game franchise does with it's colorful in-your-face graphics, wacky characters and such. Even Mario himself doesn't have emotional personality, but he DOES have visual personality. MGSV and Witcher 3 don't have any sort of personality. Dull, monochromatic graphics, EXCRUCIATINGLY generic characters, "Calm and Collective" heroes (which is one of the absolute most boring types of personalities a character can have), not really a whole lot of personality or emotion to be found at all. Plus, again, the actual gameplay of those games is very clunky and uninspired.

Quote: CAV

Uhhhhhhhhh.

Mario himself doesn't have much, but the game franchise does with it's colorful in-your-face graphics, wacky characters and such. Even Mario himself doesn't have emotional personality, but he DOES have visual personality.

Quote: TacoMakerSkys
It's Mugo. No surprise in that statement.

Shut up, TacoMaker.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:29:48 07/12/2015 by MugoUrth
#88 Posted: 17:05:14 07/12/2015

>calls MGSV generic
>says mario isn't

okay.

I said Mario games had personality, I didn't say they weren't generic. (...Which they are.)

Implying that MGSV has no personality. :| (..Which it does)
---
#89 Posted: 17:58:49 07/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Looks like Mugo's spewing out BS again as usual.

Shut up and no, it's not BS. It's the truth.

Implying that MGSV has no personality. smilie (..Which it does)

No it doesn't. Seriously.

Okay, this discussion has gone on for long enough. This topic is not about what games have personality or not, it's about the 2015 game awards. Let's resume that. If you REALLY feel the need to badger me about personality, take it to VM/PM.

Honestly, I am surprised Smash Brothers didn't win any awards. Best fighting game, best party game, several things that it could really fit under but it didn't win any awards. Also, Rocket League over Undertale or other games DOES seem very suspect. A deep, unique RPG loses to Soccer with cars. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:00:48 07/12/2015 by MugoUrth
#90 Posted: 18:04:04 07/12/2015
Fighting games aren't something reviewers touch for more than a few hours. They aren't going to bother learning to play,what do you mean it has to require effort past some challenge mode and casual matches. It's also why MKX took it and not other more polished ones like Under Night In-Birth, or so I heard.
---
#91 Posted: 18:05:38 07/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Looks like Mugo's spewing out BS again as usual.

Shut up and no, it's not BS. It's the truth.

Implying that MGSV has no personality. smilie (..Which it does)

No it doesn't. Seriously.

Okay, this discussion has gone on for long enough. This topic is not about what games have personality or not, it's about the 2015 game awards. Let's resume that. If you REALLY feel the need to badger me about personality, take it to VM/PM.

Honestly, I am surprised Smash Brothers didn't win any awards. Best fighting game, best party game, several things that it could really fit under but it didn't win any awards. Also, Rocket League over Undertale or other games DOES seem very suspect. A deep, unique RPG loses to Soccer with cars. smilie

Alright. Let me ask you a different question:

Why do you think MSGV doesn't have "personality" as you say, even though it won the award for best soundtrack. (and one other award if I'm not mistaken.)
---
#92 Posted: 18:05:40 07/12/2015 | Topic Creator

Well, Smash Bros. was from 2014, so, it doesn't make sense to put him, even with the DLC. Also, we should respect Rocket League for being the first indie game that turned into a eSport with that little time.
---
Bruh
#93 Posted: 18:12:05 07/12/2015
I can't and won't talk for The Witcher since I don't have any real experience with the series. And yeah I don't have too much experience with MGSV specifically just yet either. However having binged the MGS franchise in recent months in buildup to it, MGS as a series absolutely has a personality and very definitive traits that when people hear about, they immediately think of the series.

MGS is tactical stealth action both in the past and what was at the time considered the near future (though now only a single game in the series takes place in what is still considered the future for us). It's all about government conspiracies, spies, war, and morality. Each game has had various themes explored in them. Surveillance, the definition of freedom, loyalty, human augmentation, the use of war as a business, unification. Even the concept of a secret illuminati type organization ruling everything. It tackles some real big ideas and many themes in the games can easily be used as metaphors for real life issues (well probably not illuminati stuff). And all of it is shown in long drawn out cutscenes and conversations, probably the franchise's most identifiable trait.

But along with all that dark, serious stuff, the series is known for having an off the wall sense of humor about the whole thing, and having a sense of self awareness. You do have cutscenes and themes of the above, often broken up by things like someone trying to convince you he's psychic by making your controller rumble, or a fat bomb expert who rolls around on roller skates while fighting you, or the odd amount of bowel humor these games have had throughout. The series also has a tendency to break the fourth wall with things like having to switch your controller to port 2 to beat a boss in MGS1, or Otacon acknowledging that the PS3 uses Blu-Ray, making a jab at other systems where the game would otherwise have to have a second disc.

And these games are lauded for things like this. Each main installment has been critically acclaimed to some degree and regarded as a classic if not flat out revolutionary or ahead of its time. And there are people out there that definitely don't like the games or how silly or serious they try to take themselves, but there's absolutely no denying that it has a personality. It's never been just a generic brown military game.

Now I've heard that Phantom Pain does lack more in the story department than past games have but it still seems to carry a good bit of weight, and at the very least that sense of humor is still very much alive. Unless you've played it and there's just something I don't realize, in which case disregard the entire post and I apologize.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me