Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Just How Did Sonic (20)06 Happen
Page 1 of 1
Just How Did Sonic (20)06 Happen [CLOSED]
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#1 Posted: 20:19:26 20/11/2015 | Topic Creator
https://andrearitsu.wordpress....ic-2006-happen/

An interesting article about how the development of Sonic '06 went down, and how it went horribly wrong.

Sonic '06 is probably one of the most notorious examples of rushing a game before it was ready. A lot of people speculate that it wasn't even half done when released. I think Sonic '06 did a lot of harm to the series, more than anyone realizes. There's reasons as to why some Sonic fans think there's been no good 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2, and disregard games like Generations, Heroes, and Colo(u)rs because of it. I'd be interested to see an article like this about Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric in the future, because I think we'd have a similar set of circumstances.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:06:32 20/11/2015 by JCW555
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 20:29:56 20/11/2015
I remember seeing some articles and videos about it in the past,though not so much together in one place - the E3 demo video comes to mind where the game is waaay more finished than retail. S06 is such an interesting lesson on how to screw up an entire game and a warning to when you have to mercy kill a project or put it back on the shelf for now,or you'll destroy much more than your sales.

Though,let's not be naive. Even with a delay, the game's problems aren't JUST glitches - from game design to the story trying too hard for Sonic of all franchises(which is why cutting it made it even WORSE) to 9 playable characters(not counting gameplay changes) not being cut on the spot being a dumb decision on itself. It wouldn't have been a disaster,but it'd be decent at best.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:49:16 20/11/2015 by Bifrost
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#3 Posted: 20:34:19 20/11/2015
I'd buy the game tbh. Just to see all the bugs and glitches so I could laugh at them.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#4 Posted: 20:41:13 20/11/2015
A friend of mine has actually done that, PS3 version of course, but I settled with the legendary Let's Play from Pokecapn. The game isn't as difficult when you didn't stay up over 20 hours straight,but what's the fun in that?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:42 20/11/2015 by Bifrost
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#5 Posted: 00:21:53 21/11/2015
I like to read a story on why people making the game and Sega thought having Elise kiss a dead Sonic would be a good idea.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#6 Posted: 06:12:26 21/11/2015
Fun fact! Silver was supposed to be called "Venice the Mink"

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

This was the concept art.

(Rather glad they went with the Silver we have now ^.=.^")
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#7 Posted: 22:53:33 21/11/2015
If only Sega hadn't rushed the game...
---
words. letters. filler.
#8 Posted: 23:26:34 21/11/2015
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

As I said before,decent at best. Working with a small team is what mainly killed it but delays wouldn't suddenly expand the team again and undo all the cuts.
---
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#9 Posted: 23:27:24 21/11/2015
^ not only rush it, but they should not have downsized the team as well. It probably been better if they hadn't made Sonic and the Secret Rings. But even with the full team, it probably would have still had a terrible story, just as it does now. I mean, what was the reason for Elise?
#10 Posted: 23:55:50 21/11/2015
Trying to make the game more real and gritty by having REAL humans and REAL plots - I mean some people call this Sonic Adventure 3 and it shows. But well, the games were never known for having a good story - if the gameplay was good,people would just laugh it off at that one huge game where some girl kissed Sonic's dead body and not what almost killed the franchise for real.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:56:18 21/11/2015 by Bifrost
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#11 Posted: 20:21:58 22/11/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Trying to make the game more real and gritty by having REAL humans and REAL plots - I mean some people call this Sonic Adventure 3 and it shows. But well, the games were never known for having a good story - if the gameplay was good,people would just laugh it off at that one huge game where some girl kissed Sonic's dead body and not what almost killed the franchise for real.

On top of Sega forcing developers to the game out the door, someone in that team was depraved enough to throw in some wish-fulfillment and damned the name brand without regarding it. I want to read an interview with the person who wrote "And then Elise kissed a dead Sonic." If it turned out to be Motomu Toriyama all along, it would he's legitimately crazy.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#12 Posted: 21:27:34 22/11/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

As I said before,decent at best. Working with a small team is what mainly killed it but delays wouldn't suddenly expand the team again and undo all the cuts.

Rushing it before polishing the game was what ruined the game. Even if they had the small team, if they weren't rushed, they would've had time to polish it.
---
words. letters. filler.
#13 Posted: 22:03:19 22/11/2015
No amount of polish could fix the aforemented kissing a dead hedgehog, the sheer amount of plot holes with the time travel hijinks, over 10 gameplay variations with nearly no balancing, crap level design that makes everything too quick to catch up or too short, and the godawful puzzles(billiards hell and the true captain,anyone?). This is all stuff from the initial versions that they never had the brains to fix, polish is bugs,graphics and missing animations.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:04:32 22/11/2015 by Bifrost
#14 Posted: 11:38:13 23/11/2015
Then you haven't seen End of the World. THERE the game's problems culminate to give you hell one last time.
Seven levels for all living characters, one continue, and the GOD DAMN GRAVITY WELLS. I've seen people beg for more mach speed sections over that story.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:39:15 23/11/2015 by Bifrost
#15 Posted: 14:33:10 23/11/2015
I recommend a Let's Play for the sake of thr "good" times, Retsupurae finished theirs recently anyway, and there's always that classic no-sleep(with exceptions) marathon of it.
---
#16 Posted: 14:38:29 23/11/2015
Not like they ever finish it before Jon quit ;w; they were so close, too. I heard BrainScratchCommentaries mention he was playing it solo the other day though, but he quit at Silver so probably won't make a JonTron video on it.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:39:54 23/11/2015 by Bifrost
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12096
#17 Posted: 15:01:46 23/11/2015
The music was fantastic. Unfortunately that's what it isn't remembered for.

Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me