Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Skylanders isn't doing too good... [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#51 Posted: 17:12:38 19/11/2015
Skylanders doesn't need to change its core gameplay while introducing new gimmicks. That's what Superchargers did. Removed everything cool about Skylanders, to the point it doesn't feel like Skylanders and turned it into a force feeding car combat game.

It needs to bring back what made Skylanders fun, while adding things like online and a new gimmick that is not only optional, but you know, fun. I mean the vehicle gimmick could have been fun if they used vehicles in a variety of ways like they did with Swap Zones. But nope. All driving, flying, boating on rails or in circular areas, minus the one time they played like a top down shooter and side scrolling racer.

Hope to God the next game is a return to form with a gimmick that's more varied.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#52 Posted: 17:19:22 19/11/2015
Quote: GameMaster78
Skylanders doesn't need to change its core gameplay while introducing new gimmicks. That's what Superchargers did. Removed everything cool about Skylanders, to the point it doesn't feel like Skylanders and turned it into a force feeding car combat game.

It needs to bring back what made Skylanders fun, while adding things like online and a new gimmick that is not only optional, but you know, fun. I mean the vehicle gimmick could have been fun if they used vehicles in a variety of ways like they did with Swap Zones. But nope. All driving, flying, boating on rails or in circular areas, minus the one time they played like a top down shooter and side scrolling racer.

Hope to God the next game is a return to form with a gimmick that's more varied.

While I don't completely agree with you (personally think SuperChargers is a great Skylanders game even considering its objective and subjective problems) I cannot help but do so for the majority of what you said.

Vehicles definitely wasn't the innovation I had in mind for this series.
They should sincerely stop trying to make everything look new and awesome, because they could simply improve what was already there without the risk of ruining everything.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#53 Posted: 17:49:16 19/11/2015
The new gimmick in Sky 6 has to keep the core gameplay the same. No vehicles changing the gameplay. Even though i like the vehicles. Classic Skylanders gameplay is better
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#54 Posted: 19:13:29 19/11/2015
Don't understand why they don't go with changes like this.

- open world
- areas based on all 10 elements.
- each area has specific areas that act as levels
- each area has a feat of strength
- each area has new Swap Force gameplay
- each area has new vehicle gameplay
- hidden areas scattered throughout
- collecting items is still there
- survival quests
- tower defense quests
- regular side quests given by NPC's in a centralized hub, or hubs (if every area has its own hub/town)

And since it's open world, all previous Location Items unlock mini areas throughout the world, complete with new enemy specific levels, swap force areas, vehicle areas, feats of strength, collectibles, and other things to do.

It allows for your collections to remain viable and exploration is accounted for. Then whatever gimmick they want to introduce is there to add to the already tremendous amount of gameplay. Seeing as both TFB and VV have longer development cycles, it'd be a lame excuse to say they can't pull it off.
---
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#55 Posted: 19:13:32 19/11/2015
I honestly believe Sky 6 will be the last game considering the struggling sales and competitive Toys to Life market. Activision should market it as the last game and let the franchise go out with a bang rather than a rinse and repeat of annual gimmicks which may be hit or miss...the franchise is already bleeding customers and there really aren't many new customers jumping on board the Skylanders train now that the Spyro's Adventure and Giants era novelty has worn off.
#56 Posted: 19:23:25 19/11/2015

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests
- regular side quests given by NPC's in a centralized hub, or hubs (if every area has its own hub/town)

And since it's open world, all previous Location Items unlock mini areas throughout the world, complete with new enemy specific levels, swap force areas, vehicle areas, feats of strength, collectibles, and other things to do.

It allows for your collections to remain viable and exploration is accounted for. Then whatever gimmick they want to introduce is there to add to the already tremendous amount of gameplay. Seeing as both TFB and VV have longer development cycles, it'd be a lame excuse to say they can't pull it off.

Most recent LEGO games are a perfect example of your first three points (I guess Dimensions is the same, right? smilie ) and I couldn't sincerely agree more.

Open world, more Elemental-related features (whether they are special abilities or environments), side-quests and a game which make all my collection (not only the characters) truly shine.
That's all I could ask from a game of this series, gameplay-wise.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#57 Posted: 00:17:36 20/11/2015
Quote: Drek95

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

Most recent LEGO games are a perfect example of your first three points (I guess Dimensions is the same, right? smilie ) and I couldn't sincerely agree more.

Open world, more Elemental-related features (whether they are special abilities or environments), side-quests and a game which make all my collection (not only the characters) truly shine.

Every franchise represented in Lego Dimensions has an open world area to explore, complete with like 29-30 gold bricks to collect, a stud counter to max out, builds to spend studs on to rebuild, a red brick to get. Some of the gold bricks are gotten via quests and races, while some are just hidden.

It's very well done, but not the reason I mentioned Skylanders having an open world. I've been thinking that since the first game.

I mean imagine it.

Central hub is non elemental, surrounding worlds are elemental based. Undead area could add an underground crypt and underworld area by placing the Darklight Crypt on the portal. Things like Tower of Time would just add a new area or island to explore to the already big world to explore.

There would be story missions to undertake, and side quests given by NPC's in the hub and throughout the world. Brock could inhabit an island akin to the battle island in Superchargers. It helps diversify the explorable world. He would allow you to undertake waves of enemies for rewards tied to Brock. NPC's could have you undertake missions akin to Bonus Missions from Swap Force for NPC unique rewards, and Cali could offer Heroic Challenges for permanent stat boosts. Swap Zones are scattered across the world as is Feats of Strength. Elemental Gates would be scattered across the world offering rewards, and Pendergast would be in choice locations offering races.

Throughout the open world there would be hidden areas offering things like Soul Gems and Winged Sapphires and treasure chests with gold or XP.

There could also be a KAOS centric part of the world offering his Tower Defense game from Trap Team.

I know it's wishful thinking, but if someone who hasn't designed a game before (although I am a screenwriter) can come up with this much for a Skylanders game, why can't they?

Best of all, they can also introduce a new gimmick which just adds more gameplay.
---
GaiaMemories Emerald Sparx Gems: 3753
#58 Posted: 01:05:19 20/11/2015

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

I would love this, but you are forgetting something....something large, blue and only breakable by a certain set of weapons (or a wrench)....smilie
---
Hahahahaha
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#59 Posted: 03:01:33 20/11/2015

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

Every franchise represented in Lego Dimensions has an open world area to explore, complete with like 29-30 gold bricks to collect, a stud counter to max out, builds to spend studs on to rebuild, a red brick to get. Some of the gold bricks are gotten via quests and races, while some are just hidden.

It's very well done, but not the reason I mentioned Skylanders having an open world. I've been thinking that since the first game.

I mean imagine it.

Central hub is non elemental, surrounding worlds are elemental based. Undead area could add an underground crypt and underworld area by placing the Darklight Crypt on the portal. Things like Tower of Time would just add a new area or island to explore to the already big world to explore.

There would be story missions to undertake, and side quests given by NPC's in the hub and throughout the world. Brock could inhabit an island akin to the battle island in Superchargers. It helps diversify the explorable world. He would allow you to undertake waves of enemies for rewards tied to Brock. NPC's could have you undertake missions akin to Bonus Missions from Swap Force for NPC unique rewards, and Cali could offer Heroic Challenges for permanent stat boosts. Swap Zones are scattered across the world as is Feats of Strength. Elemental Gates would be scattered across the world offering rewards, and Pendergast would be in choice locations offering races.

Throughout the open world there would be hidden areas offering things like Soul Gems and Winged Sapphires and treasure chests with gold or XP.

There could also be a KAOS centric part of the world offering his Tower Defense game from Trap Team.

I know it's wishful thinking, but if someone who hasn't designed a game before (although I am a screenwriter) can come up with this much for a Skylanders game, why can't they?

Best of all, they can also introduce a new gimmick which just adds more gameplay.

Haha I think you'd like my fan made Skylanders game idea. I have a lot written down.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
willster8 Gold Sparx Gems: 2383
#60 Posted: 04:04:45 20/11/2015

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

I mean imagine it.

Lovely. This would be awesome, and they could keep the vehicles as ways to get from area to area. Use the water or air vehicles to get to islands and land vehicles for mainland travel. Overall, this would be absolutely amazing if they added something along these lines.
#61 Posted: 19:19:17 20/11/2015
Quote: GaiaMemories

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

I would love this, but you are forgetting something....something large, blue and only breakable by a certain set of weapons (or a wrench)....smilie

You're totally right. Forgot about Traptanium crystals spread throughout the world leading to hidden areas.

So much potential for an awesome sandbox to play around in, as well as showing Skylander fans that the collection they've spent thousands are, aren't an afterthought, as every type of Skylander has a use in the game.
---
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#62 Posted: 19:23:06 20/11/2015
Quote: mastermc54
I honestly believe Sky 6 will be the last game considering the struggling sales and competitive Toys to Life market. Activision should market it as the last game and let the franchise go out with a bang rather than a rinse and repeat of annual gimmicks which may be hit or miss...the franchise is already bleeding customers and there really aren't many new customers jumping on board the Skylanders train now that the Spyro's Adventure and Giants era novelty has worn off.

Don't they need a lot of time to make games? Meaning that 6 and 7 are pretty much assured to be released now? I'm saying this because why would they make a cartoon series if they don't plan to sell a lot of 6 off of it?

By the time the cartoon hits, 7 needs to be half way done for it's release the year after. They cannot wait on 7s development to see how the cartoon does as they need to churn these games out every year.

So to me, it's more likely that 8 would be the effected game as it would take that much time to see how toy sales are effected by the cartoon. They wouldn't want to take a chance of the cartoon being a hit and not having a yearly game to cash in on it. The only way they would cancel 7 is if the cartoon tanks hugely and Sky 6 sales are dismal (even worse than SuperChargers). I'd be really shocked that Skylanders tanks that badly on the heels of a cartoon though. The cartoon would have be really awful to kill the franchise off.
---
Stay Cool!
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#63 Posted: 19:40:45 20/11/2015
What might be interesting is to release a compilation of the older games - upgraded to next gen resolutions/engines. And here is the fun part, make all the current Skylanders work in them. Jumping Trap Masters in SSA? Swap Force in Giants? You don't necessarily have to support gimmicks, but you would have to make some minor modifications to accommodate larger characters and jumping in some games. Then release a line of the hard to get figures re-printed alongside it.
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#64 Posted: 06:22:46 21/11/2015
I cant speak about Amiibo, but I have played all the Disney Infinity games and all the Skylanders games. Have all the characters, minus the chase non in-game variants. The problem with Superchargers is that once you finish the main game, all the additional purchases do very little to add to the game. Initially you had the game, the 3 vehicle types and the sea racing pack. I thought the story was fun, did not mind the races. Then wave 2 comes. Wave 3. What is really added? You get a few more tracks with the air racing pack. You get a few more quick hit in the supercharger challenges but really, you spend all that money on christmas or power blue or whatever variants but nothing in the actual game changes and the amount of new content you get is very little. Also, Superchargers is incredibly non-challenging.

Disney Infinity. You have 5 play sets. Toy Box Expansions. You can make your own worlds. The challenges and missions are very difficult to get 3 stars on. The worlds are huge. Battle in the arena yet? Its flippin' awesome. It feels like real combat and its challenging but still fun. I have many challenges I can work on for months and this does not even start about the toy box stuff which is really not my cup of tea.

Am sorry to say, but Infinity in my opinion having done both is a better bang for your buck. You have less variants and more new content being added. Once you finish the main game in Skylanders, its pretty much done. All those traps. All those Eon Elites. Its just cash cow. Yes, Disney Infinity has those relatively useless power discs but they have limited them for 3.0 at least.

If Infinity is winning, I personally see why, playing the game just takes longer to find everything. A kid can finish quickly if they want but an adult can take months to play and still be challenged and we still have 2 more play sets to go!
Banditguy Green Sparx Gems: 224
#65 Posted: 09:43:14 21/11/2015
I am sure when the holidays come on by the sales numbers will improve if not we will see what the future has for skylanders 6.
---
Mario kart 8: destroyer of friendships
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#66 Posted: 12:06:56 21/11/2015
Quote:
What might be interesting is to release a compilation of the older games - upgraded to next gen resolutions/engines.

That wont really help us considering how dependent this game is on toys.

Quote:
Am sorry to say, but Infinity in my opinion having done both is a better bang for your buck.

I disagree . Playing marvel avengers on 2.0 feels exactly like playing any adventure on 1.0 excepts . Collect stuff , unlock ingame content , Do challenges . Explore .

Thats all very well for Toystory and Incredibles and Cars but a Marvel adventure should have a straight out linear indepth misson story . Let the superheroes have the skill tree only . Something different and more serious . They can goof around and do all the funny stuff in the toybox .

Its kinda sad when you get exactly the same gameplay from both Thanos and Phineas .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:08:47 21/11/2015 by Dark fhoenix
j32bass Yellow Sparx Gems: 1842
#67 Posted: 17:45:59 21/11/2015
Bingo, you got it MC Master.
---
Thinkin' 'bout droppin' out.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:46:31 21/11/2015 by j32bass
#68 Posted: 21:06:16 21/11/2015
Quote: j32bass
Bingo, you got it MC Master.

Hahaha...thanks. Although I feel I've brought a lot of negativity about Superchargers and the future of the franchise in this thread, I like to keep it real by taking a step back from the position of super fan and seeing the overall picture. I love Skylanders and don't regret the purchase of Superchargers or any previous game entries, but I'm seeing less and less value in remaining loyal to the "collect them all" cause. I feel like I've seen pretty much all of Superchargers that I care to see and don't have that eager feeling to run out to pick up wave 3 and beyond as I have with past games. I will pick up future Skylanders releases at my own leisurely pace, but I don't like racing, so have given up on getting any additional vehicles (unless they hit the deep discount bins). Racing has been a sore spot for many as you can tell by reading the threads in the Superchargers forums. I feel Superchargers was a failure on many levels including a lack of thinking ahead regarding whether or not vehicles will be supported in future games...Activision loses either way...if you keep racing, you alienate those who don't like racing...if you drop racing, you piss off all the people who forked out $15/vehicle on a one and done gimmick (thus losing fans and decreased overall sales of future gimmicks). I do feel the cartoon series is the only chance the franchise has to infuse some life into Skylanders and gain a much-needed new customer base...the number of people abandoning the franchise (and Toys to Life products in general) is far outnumbering the newcomers willing to jump on board now that Toys to Life isn't the new big thing and the novelty is wearing off. When Skylanders ends, I'd personally like to see it go out on a high note rather than just another game with a criticized and overpriced gimmick overshadowed by poor sales and inventory glut at stores (some of which we're already seeing now).
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#69 Posted: 21:41:16 21/11/2015
Quote: KeybasHedKey
The Problem is Skylanders needs a big change. But, no one wants my idea.

ow the edge
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#70 Posted: 21:50:12 21/11/2015 | Topic Creator
i hope our sales get better around the holidays
#71 Posted: 00:37:36 22/11/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
i hope our sales get better around the holidays

Sales should most definitely get better around the holidays, but the bigwigs at Activision need to rethink their future game plan since another year headed down the path Superchargers has gone on does not bode well. It's like horse racing...the horse which used to come out of the gate flying high is getting older...Superchargers sales have been sluggish coming out of the gate this year...and as the horse gets older, you might see rare flashes of it's heyday brilliance (during the holidays), but you're getting to that point where you don't have overall high performance expectations with the old nag (first time in my life using a horse analogy!).

I really can't pinpoint why more people picked up Trap Team starter packs early on (before the holidays) compared with Superchargers, but I guess the hype of playing as Kaos in the game had something to do with it...every kid wanted to play as Kaos and that darn Kaos trap sold like hotcakes whenever available for nearly 6 months. Superchargers hasn't even come close to that kind of hype, and that means even lesser people will buy Sky 6 early on unless they can come up with something better hyped than playing as Kaos. I really hope they drop the unnecessary forced purchase of a portal next year which would hopefully allow for a lower base price of the starter pack (simply the game disc + figures).
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#72 Posted: 00:56:42 22/11/2015
Quote: GaiaMemories

- open world
- survival quests
- tower defense quests

You're totally right. Forgot about Traptanium crystals spread throughout the world leading to hidden areas.

So much potential for an awesome sandbox to play around in, as well as showing Skylander fans that the collection they've spent thousands are, aren't an afterthought, as every type of Skylander has a use in the game.

They should bring the visible Skylander visible collection feature in the mobile tracking app and put it in the game, and then allow others to "see" it.

mastermc...Sky 5 was a bump, but I don't think it will be as bad as you guys think. I think it will be within 10% of Trap Team's numbers (+ or -). I do think however that the level monolithic design needs an upgrade...big time. What GM has in his list has been echoed by many of us here as well over the years...it would be the ultimate Sky fan nerd's dream.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:58:43 22/11/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#73 Posted: 03:43:46 22/11/2015
You know, for as much as I've pumped into this franchise (4,000+ alone for all 256 combinations of Swaplanders), and I know members of the Skylanders team reads these forums, I'm surprised they didn't take any of my advice on these games.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, outside of the stuff they've sent me, they wouldn't even respond to me when I told them I wanted to receive product from them to do videos and help them in getting Skylanders to more people. Instead, they give that stuff to people who only do a short video on them and that's it. I had grand plans for a kick butt YouTube site, with some really cool ideas, but, can't if I don't have early access to their products like others get.

Oh well.

I just hope they listen to us fans, especially super fans like myself, instead of Activision and their care for ruining their own franchises for the sake of attempting to bring in more money.

His game still has potential. They just have to care about its longevity as a franchise, and listen to fans, who can go hand in hand in making what could be the ultimate Skylanders experiences.
---
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#74 Posted: 04:20:20 22/11/2015
You need a channel that already has visibility before they send you free stuff. Also, not saying that your ideas are bad, but putting a lot of cash in toys does not make your advices ones that the team should follow.
---
bye
#75 Posted: 06:56:23 22/11/2015
You know, for as much as I've pumped into this franchise (4,000+ alone for all 256 combinations of Swaplanders), and I know members of the Skylanders team reads these forums, I'm surprised they didn't take any of my advice on these games.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, outside of the stuff they've sent me, they wouldn't even respond to me when I told them I wanted to receive product from them to do videos and help them in getting Skylanders to more people. Instead, they give that stuff to people who only do a short video on them and that's it. I had grand plans for a kick butt YouTube site, with some really cool ideas, but, can't if I don't have early access to their products like others get.

Oh well.

I just hope they listen to us fans, especially super fans like myself, instead of Activision and their care for ruining their own franchises for the sake of attempting to bring in more money.

His game still has potential. They just have to care about its longevity as a franchise, and listen to fans, who can go hand in hand in making what could be the ultimate Skylanders experiences.

I've faced it--we're on the fringe. I think they do take our thoughts into effect, but it gets "rationalized" into the machine at Activision to ensure it hits its demographic and other [insert sales/marketing criteria here].

I'd love a mashup of Skyrim and Skylanders personally, but then we'd easily be for the teen age by then. Tough pickle.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:58:12 22/11/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#76 Posted: 11:55:14 22/11/2015
They could still keep it kids friendly even by mixing it with Skyrim.
Open world, random quests, enemies which gets stronger as you increase you Portal Master Rank, secret dungeons to explore... All with Skylanders goodness, such as Elemental themed areas, recurring characters, the possibility to swim, fly, dig, climb freely in an amazing 3D landscape.

That's my secret Skylanders dream, and I hope I'm not the only one having it. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#77 Posted: 04:10:09 20/12/2015
Still not completely reliable, but the numbers were updated on vgchartz and they make more sense now:

Superchargers: 1.05
Disney Infinity 3.0: 1.07
Lego Dimensions: 1.20

The number of toys sold is also important but we have no info on that.
---
bye
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#78 Posted: 09:52:25 20/12/2015
Interesting chart although I didn't take the time to see where these numbers actually comes from. The numbers are a bit too raw for me to make good assumptions about what's happening. I'd need to see how sales were for each game after a few months, not total sales to date. It does seem sales has been lower year after year, but are the numbers still good and still profitable or are they now a disaster? And so on with the questions...

[User Posted Image]
---
Stay Cool!
#79 Posted: 23:54:21 20/12/2015
These numbers are "too raw"...I doubt it. We're over 1 million starters (1.08) and we're a few weeks behind on the accounting, but I trust em. The numbers at best look horrible. I'm guessing we end up at 2 million total starters, which is 60% decline from our highs....so safe to say either the formula got busted or people want more innovation for their money or they are simply tired of it. A bit of all of the above?

Btw, I don't put the blame totally in VV's hands. They've been making a few bad decisions for the last two games and that and the fatigue are finally taking the toll (add to it increased competition and the totally idiotic decision to INCREASE prices in the wake of increased competition). I'd also say not releasing all of TT in the states (trap wise) may have turned away quite a few. Or the decision to dismiss functionality of traps, just as I'm sure they will do the same for vehicles in the next game.

It seems to me that we're cannibalizing sales from each other and many people have to choose one of the franchises.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 00:03:27 21/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#80 Posted: 01:19:32 21/12/2015
No matter how good and innovative the next game is, we will never have the same sales as Giants simply because there is competition. Back in Giants, Activision were the only one with a Toys to Life game and the genre was still very new.
---
bye
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#81 Posted: 01:42:17 21/12/2015
Also if these sales are up to the current date, instead of just first year release. The sales for early games have a huge head start. So you can't compare a game released this year to one released 5 years ago .
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#82 Posted: 02:39:30 21/12/2015
Skylanders 6 needs to take its time, be well made and have a bunch of new figures and characters. They also need to tell ppl when certain waves are expected to come out, even if it's like winter 2016 etc. Ppl know pretty much when infinity stuff is coming, skylanders needs to try to do that.

I would love a skylanders game where everyone is new like SSA was (ok spyro and friends weren't all unknown but you get the point). They could lockout older skylanders till you beat the game, thou that could backfire on them as its come to expect older skylanders will work forward etc.

Maybe Spyro's return to free them all or something...

Also do we really have to have a gimmick?? I mean why cant we just reuse traps to trap new guys, giants to smash things and trap masters to break stuff open. We don't need to go nuts here. Im sure there some backlog of traps already made, or they could just stock some sort of 8 pack and be done with it.

They also need to embrace online, finish a game and be able to make DLC's if they choose down the road. How great would it be to add a lvl in say JAN that adds a new stage or two and maybe charge like $5 for it or tie it to buying certain skylanders. Like adventures packs that could be made after the games release, instead of being on the disk at launch and locked behind a wall till the pack is on the portal.
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#83 Posted: 02:58:59 21/12/2015
I really miss PvP.
---
Any last wishes?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#84 Posted: 03:06:58 21/12/2015
I still don't understand why they don't bother to tell us release dates for toys at certain stores. There's no reason not to. It doesn't cost any extra money to type a post on their Facebook account with a date and time in it...
#85 Posted: 04:29:17 21/12/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons
I'm guessing we end up at 2 million total starters, which is 60% decline from our highs....so safe to say either the formula got busted or people want more innovation for their money or they are simply tired of it. A bit of all of the above?

Btw, I don't put the blame totally in VV's hands. They've been making a few bad decisions for the last two games and that and the fatigue are finally taking the toll (add to it increased competition and the totally idiotic decision to INCREASE prices in the wake of increased competition). I'd also say not releasing all of TT in the states (trap wise) may have turned away quite a few. Or the decision to dismiss functionality of traps, just as I'm sure they will do the same for vehicles in the next game.

You got it absolutely right with the "all of the above" statement. It's not any one thing...there's tons of reasons behind the accelerated decline of Skylanders. Despite the criticisms of the new game for which Activision/Vicarious Visions can be blamed, there are just too many uncontrollable factors at play including increased competition, franchise fatigue (Little Johnny's already played with enough Skylanders games), cash pit fatigue (Little Johnny's toys are costing way too much), toy fatigue (Little Johnny has too many plastic figures now), and overall decline in the Toys to Life market due to the novelty wearing off and known associated cash pit. The new game plan behind the scenes at Activision should be to preserve their current customer base as best they can and stick to the basic formula which brought Skylanders success...not to try to hit a home run out of the park with flashy and overpriced gimmick. Then again, Activision's history has taught us that they won't do things logically and will stick to the formula of milking a franchise dry and bail the second they realize the former cash cow is no longer padding the pockets of their executives.
#86 Posted: 05:01:23 21/12/2015
They can definitely milk more if they keep gameplay and fun surrounded around SKYLANDERS (not something like vehicles or traps....swappers are still #1 innovation) and introduce new brawling post game features (like first 3 games) and innovate the GAME. Bring back reasons to buy the skylanders (aka Heroics or gameplay elements tied to purchase). Broken record from me on this.

I suspect TfB has a "fighting song" and they will combat the milking with required TLC. I don't see DI or Lego necessarily a fore front leader on the innovation side (much of it has been copy/paste formula) so I still think they can start to pull away with the right formula. But a one and out gimmick has already proven to make customers VERY wary, along with the mountain of plastic already in their possession and very much languishing.

In short, it's theirs to lose but I think it's a matter of who will continue with the increased "squeezing" of a market with what appears to be very finite demand for the overly created supply. Pricing and differentiation are the two areas of concern I have.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 05:05:56 21/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#87 Posted: 15:51:31 21/12/2015
Quote: TrapShadowFan
I still don't understand why they don't bother to tell us release dates for toys at certain stores. There's no reason not to. It doesn't cost any extra money to type a post on their Facebook account with a date and time in it...

Because if XXX comes out Friday and you are in store on Monday, you might go "Oh, I'll just wait until Friday to get XXX". If you don't know, then you just pick up YYY that day, then on Friday you go back for XXX. Release dates are great for consumers, but stores would prefer you purchase from what they currently have in stock - especially if you will return later to also get the other thing.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#88 Posted: 16:30:28 21/12/2015

This is what stuck out the most since that was basically how spyro's adventure went and i feel they should've kept that formula. The first game was simply that magical because of that and is special on how it showed off the skylands and i really feel the companies lost their way. It really should get back to that basic and if they make a 6th game its the finale. let the gimmick be unlocking new worlds with items you buy and collect. each one's a new elemental place like the open world idea. i still feel that there should be one online as such with special figures just for online. That's the only real gimmick left and everything else they explored.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#89 Posted: 17:07:10 21/12/2015
Quote: defpally
Quote: TrapShadowFan

Because if XXX comes out Friday and you are in store on Monday, you might go "Oh, I'll just wait until Friday to get XXX". If you don't know, then you just pick up YYY that day, then on Friday you go back for XXX. Release dates are great for consumers, but stores would prefer you purchase from what they currently have in stock - especially if you will return later to also get the other thing.

Id be happy with a Winter 2016...spring 2016 etc. Or even coming in JAn...coming sometime in feb..

Thou, I do still sort of like just randomly finding new stuff in the wild and coming here to see what others have found smilie
#90 Posted: 18:46:08 21/12/2015
Quote: SlayerX11
Id be happy with a Winter 2016...spring 2016 etc. Or even coming in JAn...coming sometime in feb..

Thou, I do still sort of like just randomly finding new stuff in the wild and coming here to see what others have found smilie

I'd be happy with it, too. Honestly, lack of mystery hasn't been hurting Infinity, Dimensions and Amiibos - but it isn't about what makes us happy, apparently their marketing plan includes this whole mystery and hunt. Or maybe they just don't want to pay the money for timely shipping without "exclusive" dollars from individual store chains (the only time we ever get actual dates for availability).
#91 Posted: 19:50:42 21/12/2015
As a Skylanders superfan, even I can tell they either don't care anymore or are missing the memo somewhere.

First off, I still haven't seen a normal Sky Action Pack in stores here in Oklahoma City, and usually it's never too hard to find any new releases once released. Only stores that I think even try to restock are SOME Targets (bigger stores) and Toys R Us. Walmarts here are bare and have been since Trap Team, and some Best Buys don't keep up with others.

If Activision/TFB/VV cared, they'd stop playing games of wait and find out. I really love that I can go find the wave I'm looking most forward to with Lego Dimensions (yay Ghostbusters), specifically on January 19th. I like that I could stroll into Best Buy on the 18th and pick up The Force Awakens play set, Poe, and Kylo.

Let's see, Skylanders. I worry everyday if we're even going to see the next wave, seeing as they won't even give us the Yawn Traps, and it's even more of a pain not knowing when stores will have product. I'm tired of hunting for Skylanders that just released, but I cannot find (regular Sky Racing Action Pack). So, I just sit at home with the money I was gonna spend on regular Sky Pack and wait for gauranteed releases for Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity, and heck, even Amiibo.

How can people give money to Acti/TFB/VV of they refuse to set specific release dates for figures? Why do people want to waste gas hunting for something that isn't absolute? I sure don't. I have a life and can't drive around wondering if something's going to be there that actually might not.

The creators of Skylanders need to stop playing by outdated rules and adopt a plan that will benefit Amiibo, Dimensions and Infinity more than hurt them.

It's laughable I can't find normal Astroblast while others in other states can. Guess what, though? On the 19th of January, I am gauranteed to walk into Best Buy and find wave 3 Dimensions, just like I was able to walk into Best Buy and buy Infinity figures from The Force Awakens. Convienance and knowledge of day and date releases means I know I'm going to spend on certain TTL brands.

I seriously don't think Acti/TFB/VV care anymore, what with not releasing all of their products to all customers, releasing whenever they feel it's best without giving a clue to customers, and then not making sure stores stay stocked on their product or put out new product that might be sitting in the back, if they have it at all.

Next time I go to my local Best Buy, I'm gonna take a pic of the Skylanders section, Infinty section and Dimensions section. It will go a long way in showing which developers actually care about their TTL products.

Skylanders has become a huge mess, both in game with the removal of certain loved play styles, and their lack of being able to convey to customers when something new is releasing, making it a silly game of cat and mouse.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:51:38 21/12/2015 by GameMaster78
#92 Posted: 20:59:06 21/12/2015
As a Skylanders superfan, even I can tell they either don't care anymore or are missing the memo somewhere.

First off, I still haven't seen a normal Sky Action Pack in stores here in Oklahoma City, and usually it's never too hard to find any new releases once released. Only stores that I think even try to restock are SOME Targets (bigger stores) and Toys R Us. Walmarts here are bare and have been since Trap Team, and some Best Buys don't keep up with others.

If Activision/TFB/VV cared, they'd stop playing games of wait and find out. I really love that I can go find the wave I'm looking most forward to with Lego Dimensions (yay Ghostbusters), specifically on January 19th. I like that I could stroll into Best Buy on the 18th and pick up The Force Awakens play set, Poe, and Kylo.

Let's see, Skylanders. I worry everyday if we're even going to see the next wave, seeing as they won't even give us the Yawn Traps, and it's even more of a pain not knowing when stores will have product. I'm tired of hunting for Skylanders that just released, but I cannot find (regular Sky Racing Action Pack). So, I just sit at home with the money I was gonna spend on regular Sky Pack and wait for gauranteed releases for Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity, and heck, even Amiibo.

How can people give money to Acti/TFB/VV of they refuse to set specific release dates for figures? Why do people want to waste gas hunting for something that isn't absolute? I sure don't. I have a life and can't drive around wondering if something's going to be there that actually might not.

The creators of Skylanders need to stop playing by outdated rules and adopt a plan that will benefit Amiibo, Dimensions and Infinity more than hurt them.

It's laughable I can't find normal Astroblast while others in other states can. Guess what, though? On the 19th of January, I am gauranteed to walk into Best Buy and find wave 3 Dimensions, just like I was able to walk into Best Buy and buy Infinity figures from The Force Awakens. Convienance and knowledge of day and date releases means I know I'm going to spend on certain TTL brands.

I seriously don't think Acti/TFB/VV care anymore, what with not releasing all of their products to all customers, releasing whenever they feel it's best without giving a clue to customers, and then not making sure stores stay stocked on their product or put out new product that might be sitting in the back, if they have it at all.

Next time I go to my local Best Buy, I'm gonna take a pic of the Skylanders section, Infinty section and Dimensions section. It will go a long way in showing which developers actually care about their TTL products.

Skylanders has become a huge mess, both in game with the removal of certain loved play styles, and their lack of being able to convey to customers when something new is releasing, making it a silly game of cat and mouse.

Has Activision ever cared about you? That's the big question. It seems that they expect their cash cows to run like clockwork printing money for them. They don't take into account what fans want or blips on the radar like the situation with Yawn traps. And to expect them to now listen while their ship is sinking is a tall order. They know the end is near and are looking to squeeze every last dollar out of Spyro and crew before moving onto hopefully more lucrative projects. It's only going to get worse. I suggest being content with ordering your Sky racing pack and future releases at Amazon.com or have Walmart.com ship to your store. Set release dates is asking too much of Activision and it's not going to happen. I think they actually prefer not to have set release dates so that they can feel free to press the panic button and shove out waves earlier than usual to move product as they did with wave 3 of Superchargers. It's actually a good thing that there's so few figures left to be released now...it increases the chances of all figures/vehicles seeing the light of day and avoiding a yawn trap situation.
#93 Posted: 21:12:03 21/12/2015
^I think they're trying to gauge interest and either push the "flood" button or "panic" button and push other products. After 5 years, the gig is up on the excitement...most of us just want to get it all in a reasonable amount of time and move on. Who wants to be touching this game next April or May, when it was lucky to provide 15-20 hours of total playtime? I'm only touching it over the holidays as some of my friends here will actually have it by then and hopefully the online scene will be rejuvenated. Shame we can't get all of the racing packs before the holidays.

I go to bed at night toasty warm from the love that Activision has given me over this franchise. Hehe.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:15:03 21/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#94 Posted: 02:28:24 22/12/2015
I don't know. I keep wondering in my mind if we will even see the remaining figures, seeing as stores refuse to stock product and no dates are given for any new product. Skylamders could have the same success as Infinity and Dimensions of they would just give specific dates for their products and then make sure to ship each figure in their own box, so the date is met.

I have doubts we will see the remaining figures, but that's because the Skylanders brand doesn't give me much faith to go on, what with not releasing all products in stores and not making sure stores are stocked.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#95 Posted: 03:41:01 22/12/2015
I don't know. I keep wondering in my mind if we will even see the remaining figures, seeing as stores refuse to stock product and no dates are given for any new product. Skylamders could have the same success as Infinity and Dimensions of they would just give specific dates for their products and then make sure to ship each figure in their own box, so the date is met.

I have doubts we will see the remaining figures, but that's because the Skylanders brand doesn't give me much faith to go on, what with not releasing all products in stores and not making sure stores are stocked.

Three questions:

Do you think this is the last Skylanders game, then no more due to all of your thoughts you listed? Or do you think they're will be more?

Do you plan to stick with the series if they do continue?

Do you think we'll get a SF quality game again?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#96 Posted: 05:52:20 22/12/2015
I will support Skylanders so long as they stop pulling silly stunts like not releasing all figures, and actually stop removing stuff from the games that have been staples since the series began.

Can't say what the future holds outside of that, but a step in the right direction would be to actually have specific release dates for figures, so customers can go straight in any given store and buy them. Then they need to focus on making a game where the gimmick isn't crammed down your throat, but is as optional as Swap Zones were.
---
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#97 Posted: 06:47:09 22/12/2015
I will support Skylanders so long as they stop pulling silly stunts like not releasing all figures, and actually stop removing stuff from the games that have been staples since the series began.

Can't say what the future holds outside of that, but a step in the right direction would be to actually have specific release dates for figures, so customers can go straight in any given store and buy them. Then they need to focus on making a game where the gimmick isn't crammed down your throat, but is as optional as Swap Zones were.

They'd probably say "BUT IT NEEDS TO BE A SEEEEECRET, OoOoOoOoOo..."
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#98 Posted: 12:21:53 22/12/2015
If there where release dates for skylanders. ..the ability to walk into any store anytime and get what you want is...well silly in my eyes...where is the rarity in that....now on the hand ...they need to at least be released in the US to be able to find not like the yawn traps.... or at least release enough in another country that everybody has a chance to buy some kinda like glow in the dark fright rider he was released in another country but was still readily available
#99 Posted: 15:00:58 22/12/2015
Rarity isn't important, but only fuels a pathetic scampers chances at hornswaggling others who are desperate to find product for themselves or their kids.

Again, what will help Infinity and Dimensions sell better in time is the fact websites mention release dates. TTL buyers know specifically when to be in stores, or better yet, they can just preorder new stuff, while Skylanders customers are always left guessing and wasting gas finding stuff that might not be in their local stores, just because they see on websites how it's in the stores of fellow customers in other states.

Nothing sucks more than hearing something's out, wasting gas hunting only to go home empty handed. Infinity and Dimensions assures its customers that will never happen. I appreciate that with those brands. It's why the 38 I had set back for the normal Sky Racing Pack, went straight to TFA play set, Kylo, and Poe. Was tired of sitting on it and hunting for over a week now, just to be met with disappointment.

I know I can order it online, but I do my TTL shopping at Best Buy, where I always get 20% off, so Walmart etc is out of the question. Others said they found them at their local Best Buys, yet none of mine have them, so... more money to Infinity at this time. It's just needless not knowing when new Skylanders products will arrive. Makes me not even care to try anymore.
---
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#100 Posted: 06:39:15 23/12/2015
GM, I never understood why you think it's a problem that Skylanders aren't all released on day 1. And why aren't you bashing Lego or Infinity for doing the same thing? What makes this a "stunt"?

Gradual release of characters add continued interest/life to the game (similar to a DLC or update common in video games nowadays). If everyone instantly got everything they wanted, they would lose interest much sooner. That would be even more harmful to the series if there was only one day to look forward to (which some of us already feel for multiple reasons).

The only thing I agree with is that Activision could do a better job by announcing release dates on more of the toys and not leaving it almost solely up to the retailers. But that doesn't have an impact on which characters end up more popular and who shelfwarms.
---
#all Spyros are valid
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me