First | Previous | Page 27 of 33 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Unpopular Gaming Opinions
TheToyNerd Yellow Sparx Gems: 1149
#1301 Posted: 01:48:07 07/07/2017
Game Overs are truly a failure of the game designer
Drawdler Yellow Sparx Gems: 1585
#1302 Posted: 02:10:36 07/07/2017
I'm glad the dislike for Game Overs is becoming a more popular opinion. I posted it on other places a couple years back and it seemed more unpopular back then, but since then I have seen it brought up by a couple more people.

Shovel Knight did it right. Infinite lives, you get a punishment that's more than a minor inconvinience forcing you to reselect the level you GO'd in, but if you play right you can fully recover from it and it doesn't annoyingly force you to restart from levels and levels before or anything.

I'd also like to say that giving your player more chances to play the game (aka 1ups) for playing a lot isn't really a good reward for hard tasks, it just gives them more of the same thing (chances to play the game) rather than something new and meaningful like some upgrade. I'm not saying every collectable should have big rewards, that would be overwhelming in things like collectathons, but 1ups are lame hidden bonuses.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:12:23 07/07/2017 by Drawdler
HeyitsHotDog Emerald Sparx Gems: 3637
#1303 Posted: 02:43:45 07/07/2017
TBH, every one I've seen seems elated over the fact that SMO doesn't have games over anymore. I haven''t seen anyone angry about it.
---
WANNA BE IN THE DS THANKGIVING SPECIAL? TELL ME ON MY GB!
HIR Platinum Sparx Gems: 7163
#1304 Posted: 03:38:00 07/07/2017
I mean, given that (as far as we know) Odyssey appears to lack an overworld of sorts, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to have Game Overs anyway. Where would you go after? Back to the Odyssey, I guess? But really, all that would leave is potentially tedious backtracking to get back to where you were when you died.
---
*sigh*
What a drag...
alicecarp Diamond Sparx Gems: 8667
#1305 Posted: 13:20:14 08/07/2017
I don't really like lives either and I would be glad if they became a thing of the past. In fact, I almost thought that mechanic would die in the early to mid 2000s when Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank first came out. Even Spyro stopped having lives in their games starting with Orange back in 2004. Every Spyro game after that including the LoS trilogy carried on that trait and the closest thing Skylanders has to lives is the Skylanders themselves.

I actually didn't know that SMO won't have lives and knowing that fact now makes look forward to the game even more.
---
Something's burning. Must be my arrows!
King-Pen Krazy Blue Sparx Gems: 924
#1306 Posted: 12:39:02 10/07/2017
despite how crap the Virtual Boy console was, there were some alright games on it
---
Mario Odyssey is the best game ever
Johnbonne Green Sparx Gems: 284
#1307 Posted: 14:47:28 10/07/2017
Quote: King-Pen Krazy

despite how crap the Virtual Boy console was, there were some alright games on it

I really wanted to try the Wario game on there but I'd have to pay £200 in the system. Virtual Boy.... or more Skylanders? Hmm....

Telroboxer or whatever it was called looked spectacular too. It's kinda coming back in the dungeon crawler Fight Knight. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:48:47 10/07/2017 by Johnbonne
#1308 Posted: 15:38:33 10/07/2017
As unnecessary as I often think Uplay and other such services are, I think they're good if it keeps titans like Steam from having the monopoly on the PC gaming scene and actually be forced to change itself. But I want to stick to Uplay specifically. I don't hate it. Had I owned a Uplay account during the time it opened a backdoor into your PC for viruses and God only knows what else, or the time when it wouldn't recognise new hardware as just that but instead a new PC, I'd be damned if I stuck with it. But nowadays it's just another inconvenience. It's also one of the better ones.

For starters I'm not going to play Rayman or Watch_Dogs or The Crew with a KB&M, so I'm glad it recognises my controller immediately and I can navigate the UI easily. Steam Big Picture Mode can take notes. My main plus point though comes from its Ubisoft Points mechanic; you can earn a Gamescore-like currency to buy cosmetic stuff in any game (play and get achis in ACIV: Black Flag, buy a Johnbonne action figure for The Division), as well as get discounts on the store. This is exactly what I'd wanted from the Xbox 360's achievement system, which from what I gather has not changed in a positive way in future iterations.

But others can eat a burlap bag of bananas. Except GOG. GOG Galaxy's my Steam away from Steam.
Sesshomaru75 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4367
#1309 Posted: 15:40:54 10/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Okay, I really want to get this off of my chest because it's been bothering me a lot lately...

I'm tired of people saying that Super Mario 64 is the best game of its kind during the 90s, when in fact the original game (Not the DS remake, mind you) honestly hasn't aged very well at all.
I don't really have any bias towards either Nintendo or PlayStation/Sony, as I've grown up with both and I love what both have to offer. That said, I typically prefer PlayStation consoles (Not counting handhelds), whereas I prefer Nintendo exclusives.

I saw one actual "critic" who had clear Nintendo bias (And kind of even admitted to it) say that all of the original Crash games are "identical", when that isn't true at all.
He even argued that the original SM64 has aged better than all three of them, which is absolutely ridiculous.
I could certainly understand saying that about the first game because, to be completely honest, the first Crash game is just alright, imo, and it certainly is the most dated out of the three even now.

But SM64 (Once again, the original; I'm not counting the DS remake in this) has not aged better than CSB, or even Warped, for that matter. And I'm not saying that out of nostalgia either, as I actually have a lot of nostalgia for SM64.
(It was one of my first games, and I still have a lot of nostalgic feelings playing it to this day)
SM64 was revolutionary for its time, don't get me wrong, and I'm not saying it's a bad game either (It isn't), I'm just saying that it legitimately hasn't aged as well as some other games from that era as people seem to always imply.

Like, even though I still love Ocarina of Time to death (Although Majora's Mask is my favorite now) and still have heavy nostalgia for it and place it on a pedestal, I do think that, in some areas, it hasn't aged well.
(Better than SM64 at least, but they're a lot different, so the comparison isn't really fair)
That, and I feel that later Zelda games did the formula better in some areas than Ocarina of Time did, and later games might be more rewarding experiences for certain kinds of people because of this.

I also have heavy nostalgia for the original Pokémon games, but now I have a hard time playing them and I honestly feel that they've aged horribly for the most part. (Mostly because of the constant improvements made with each generation)
Both Red and Blue were my first Pokémon games and some of the earliest games I ever played, and they were certainly revolutionary for their time, but that doesn't mean that they're the best at being what they are.

I actually started playing SM64 on my Wii U not too long ago and got almost to the end with only a couple of stars remaining and had a legitimately good time, but CSB and Warped have much better controls and are just funner and more rewarding to play, imo.

I apologize for this long rant, and I probably repeated myself a lot and didn't make any sense at some points, but I tried my best.

Tl;dr: SM64 isn't a bad game by any means, and it was revolutionary for its time, but that doesn't mean that it was the best at being what it was back then and especially not today.

Also, the N. Sane Trilogy admittedly does has issues, but the games still hold up pretty damn well otherwise (Especially due to some of the better changes and minor details added by VV) despite what some people have been saying, and so do the originals.
(Or at least CSB and Warped, despite the latter being a little overly gimmicky, imo)

- - -

In other news, on a subject that has been brought up before...

I actually enjoy most water dungeons in Zelda games and I don't fully understand why they often get so much hate. Like, they aren't exactly my favorite dungeons, but they certainly aren't my least favorite dungeons either. (Well, most of the time)
I decently enjoy the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time, I like both Great Bay Temple in Majora's Mask (Second favorite dungeon in the game behind Stone Tower) and Lakebed Temple in Twilight Princess a lot, etc.

I don't know why, they're usually some of the more interesting dungeons to explore to me for some strange reason. Perhaps it's because they're harder? No idea, tbh.
---
I'm a bad *****, you can't kill me
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:53:11 10/07/2017 by Sesshomaru75
#1310 Posted: 16:36:00 10/07/2017
Time Limits make me piss my pants

I mean, they are just so

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
---
#1311 Posted: 07:13:30 11/07/2017
Although I'm for more objectivity in video game reviews, I don't think a 100% objective review is possible, let alone good. The positives are that it's truthful.... when it allows. Subjective things such as controls or other technical sides (and what machinery the game is running on), when the game came out and what it's trying to do must come into play because that can determine so many people's experiences. It also allows for trust to be built between consumers, critics and game developers/publishers, something that is glaringly lacking.

However, let's look at the current situation: not everyone gets review codes before day one. There was a time when Ubisoft didn't lift the review embargo for Assassin's Creed Unity until a short while after the game was released, so even if your review is ready the publisher might disagree. There's also no human being who can have a review of every game when it launches even if getting copies early isn't a problem. If they do, how long could they remain 100% objective before an opinion finds its way in there? The stress would be overwhelming, and no doubt the quality of the review would decline. Plus, is there someone who is qualified to talk about every video game? This is before it reaches the editor, who chooses the review score and can make gigantic overhauls depending on their advertisers and the product they're reviewing. Because of the objectivity there'd be hardly any competition, if any at all. There'd be no need. So what's to say these people are telling the truth?

Like I say though, just because this isn't an ideal I hold it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to deliver and receive the facts wherever possible. And that's why I'm a cynic when it comes to reviews, and I recommend checking out a whole bunch for the full picture. smilie
emeraldzoroark Yellow Sparx Gems: 1162
#1312 Posted: 17:24:27 11/07/2017
Quote: Kyubey

i dont understand the love for melee over other smash games, and the fact that players actually defend glitches, errors, and other stuff that isnt intended in gameplay and controllers and the like astounds me

While I never played Melee, I would assume that it's a combination of nostagia and Ice Climbers.
---
HIHD is lying. I am the biggest Zoroark fan.
#1313 Posted: 17:43:45 11/07/2017

i dont understand the love for melee over other smash games, and the fact that players actually defend glitches, errors, and other stuff that isnt intended in gameplay and controllers and the like astounds me

I think it's because it may have been more polished or added far more content over the N64 game, but even then I'm not sure why other games aren't as well received. It could be that it's the closest to the original experience and that future games add too much. As for defending glitches and so fourth, I'm unable to comment on that nor would I be able to begin justifying it until I saw some decent reasons for their defence.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 5162
#1314 Posted: 17:56:53 11/07/2017
There's two halves of the Melee fandom: the one that liked it becoming closer to fighting games, look back on it but still overall accepts Smash 4 and Brawl(despite the tripping).

Then there's the rabid side that goes out of their way to push that other one out and take the spotlight. Sm4sh is unheard of, Brawl is an abomination. The cracks in the game's balancing do not exist and you're a casual if you prefer it as a party game. They worship the same 4 people on tourneys, who repeatedly try to push "new" tech for this several decade old game by using said glitches and faulty controllers, in a desperate measure to stay relevant and get their sweet spot on EVO and kick Skullgirls (hisssss) or another popular indie fighter out.

Pat from the Best Friends Zaibatsu has a notoriety for being super wrong on subjects he likes, dislikes, and should have knowledge about, but he makes an amazing rant about it. All three guys on this specific podcast are in the fighting game community, if anyone is wondering.
---
I do art
Roses are red, five comes after four
"None of this is good Vector, that's why it's called war"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 18:05:09 11/07/2017 by Bifrost
somePerson Emerald Sparx Gems: 3601
#1315 Posted: 18:50:38 11/07/2017

I think a reason why melee is more popular than the other smash games is that it is just more fast paced compared to the other games. i see melee as a different game compared to brawl and 4. I'm not saying that they are a different game entirely but it's similar to comparing dota 2 and lol. sure they are the same game being based off the original dota game but they both have different techniques that are unique to themselves which separates the players who play the game. Melee has mechanics that are unique to that game and vice versa for smash 4. This is also why 64 is rising in popularity at the moment because of how quirky the game is compared to later smash games. I don't really get the argument that glitches and exploits make competitive melee look bad when tons of other games do the same. MvC 3 for example is basically get the infinite before the other player but it is still fun to watch. Plus most of the glitches people complain about aren't even glitches. L cancelling is in 64, short hopping and fast falling is still used in current smash games, and wavedashing was discovered by sakurai before the games release. If you're gonna bash glitches and exploits look at brawl because that game is broken competitively. The controller thing however is a problem. Two examples come to mind with a top player quitting a tourney because he broke his controller and refused to use others because they didn't have an perfect notch is really silly. Another is the smash box debate which open at up a bible size so debate.
#1316 Posted: 00:35:14 12/07/2017
SM64DS>>>>>>>SM64

It's legitimately better is pretty much every regard. Better graphics, more levels, more characters, it's just better. I still have my copy even after, what, 13 years since it came out?
---
Crash10 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1663
#1317 Posted: 00:51:33 12/07/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

SM64DS>>>>>>>SM64

It's legitimately better is pretty much every regard. Better graphics, more levels, more characters, it's just better. I still have my copy even after, what, 13 years since it came out?

I can agree on that. The controls are not as good, but the other improvements make up for it, in my opinion.
---
its nipples
#1318 Posted: 00:55:00 12/07/2017
Sticker Star and Color Splash aren't as bad as people make them out to be

But Sticker star's battle system is absolute ***
---
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3126
#1319 Posted: 18:52:57 12/07/2017
Sticker Star and Paper Mario 64 are on the same level imo.

And by same level I mean I hold both of them in very high regard.
---
My life is complete.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3325
#1320 Posted: 19:07:04 12/07/2017
This opinion may very well change, as I plan to at least try it out, but I feel like Majora's Mask might be my least favorite Zelda game by far.

From what I understood the time limit is rather restrictive, and while there is time travel and a pretty clever saving system, I think that the exploration and completionism aspects might suffer greately from this choice or simply not be as prominent as in the other chapters.
I know it has a great atmosphere, interesting characters and a very intriguing plot but it's still a game: I fear it might not be worth it if I'll have to play with the constant pressure of the countdown not ejoying what I love the most about the series.

Never played the original Super Mario 64 but from what I've seen I agree with the DS version being superior in all its aspects: even the aesthetics have simply been faithfully upgraded instead of being remade with a drastically different style, which I think is one of the strongest points in the entire series.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Games pass, heroes remain ~ Doing the Odyssey and loving it! smilie
Current number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:08:08 12/07/2017 by Drek95
Sesshomaru75 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4367
#1321 Posted: 19:16:44 12/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95

This opinion may very well change, as I plan to at least try it out, but I feel like Majora's Mask might be my least favorite Zelda game by far.

From what I understood the time limit is rather restrictive, and while there is time travel and a pretty clever saving system, I think that the exploration and completionism aspects might suffer greately from this choice or simply not be as prominent as in the other chapters.
I know it has a great atmosphere, interesting characters and a very intriguing plot but it's still a game: I fear it might not be worth it if I'll have to play with the constant pressure of the countdown not ejoying what I love the most about the series.

It's honestly pretty damn easy to keep track of things if you know what you're doing. MM3D makes this even easier by having the Owl Statues allow you to save at anytime.
Plus, there is a song you get pretty early on that slows it down a decent amount and makes things so much easier.

The game, imo, is the best, and even though there aren't too many dungeons, they're all pretty fun and there are a ton of side quests to make up for it.
The atmosphere is amazing too, probably the best in the series, and you interact a lot more with the NPCs and you really do feel like you're saving a living, breathing world because of it and you learn to actually care for Termina and its people in the process.

I never understood the "The time limit puts too much pressure" bit because it actually really doesn't if you pay attention and use your brain properly. And this is coming from someone who hates being timed in games, especially things like time trials and such.
---
I'm a bad *****, you can't kill me
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:20:11 12/07/2017 by Sesshomaru75
#1322 Posted: 19:30:15 12/07/2017
I loved MM's mask, but never finished it due to the time feature. I get the idea and it fits the end of the world theme, but I would have liked to be given a chance to explore and just run around, ya know?
---
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 5162
#1323 Posted: 19:40:34 12/07/2017
The game gives you like 3 hours to run around, more if you use the song Sess mentioned, iirc. Don't forget you can Song of Time for as many times as you want, you'll just reset the quests and lose your nonessential items. It looks stressful at first, but unless you started a quest too late, it gives you a lot of wiggle room. Heck I'm pretty sure the ONLY quest that's made to stress you out is Kafei and Anju(?), since it takes multiple days; everything else is either completed on the same day or gives you a lot of time to kill before the next part.

MM3D definately improved on it a lot, maybe even too much since it lets you record an NPC's routine rather than having you do the mental notes yourself. But if the gimmick overbearing for the player, it's the perfect feature.
---
I do art
Roses are red, five comes after four
"None of this is good Vector, that's why it's called war"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:41:14 12/07/2017 by Bifrost
emeraldzoroark Yellow Sparx Gems: 1162
#1324 Posted: 20:49:09 12/07/2017
For me, completing MM (aside from the fishing, I didn't do that) took 60 hours. I don't regret any of it.
---
HIHD is lying. I am the biggest Zoroark fan.
#1325 Posted: 00:24:05 16/07/2017
Agree wih MM being my least favorite Zelda by far. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't feel like the simple, straightforward but fun dungeon romp I usually enjoy Zelda for. It's much more sidequest-heavy, which I'm not a fan of. I really love the atmosphere and art style, though.

I dunno how unpopular this is but maaaan. The PS3 is way more appealing than the PS4. The PS3 actually has a ton that I want to play (and have for years) that I wouldn't get on anything else, but the PS4... When it comes to true exclusives, I'm only interested in Crash, R&C and JoJo, and those are literally the only things that make me want the console enough to buy it. But $400 is a lot for a console I just want for two games and a HD version of JoJo (the JoJo game is on PS3 as well). I want Crash really ****ing badly, I have the game and no console to play it on and was hoping for it since my childhood, but I really can't think of a way to justify spending $400 to be able to play it.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:44:56 16/07/2017 by Drawdler
#1326 Posted: 00:36:26 16/07/2017
I barely hear any Cuphead talk here
i mean, is nobody interested, I mean, nothing wrong if you aren't
---
#1327 Posted: 00:37:50 16/07/2017
I think it looks amazing, but aside from Skylanders I generally avoid prerelease speculation and stuff because I like being as surprised as possible.
pankakesparx456 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5555
#1328 Posted: 01:03:42 16/07/2017
I don't really like Chloe in Life is Strange(some spoilers):

She's just overall a real douche and I can't care for her at all. At the beginning of the game I can understand why she's upset since Max hasn't spoken to her in years, but after that Chloe constantly goes back and forth with her relations with Max and the other characters. I feel constantly reminded of what Max did because time after time Chloe is scolding Max either for leaving or for something else entirely.

I can understand why her character is the way she is, since her father died and Max left, but I can't feel any sympathy for her because she constantly uses that as an excuse to be an ass rather than become a stronger person. There's one instance where Chloe can get really ticked if Max picks up a call from Kate that always bothered me because of Kate's situation in this game. Yeah, because god forbid I try to help a friend of Max's that attempts to kill herself in the season. She also continuously acts as an awful influence on Max with all the questionable things she does in this game. There are times in the game where Chloe will actually be ready to kill someone in this game, like when she found out what happened to Rachel and goes after Nathan. It's so unrealistic in Max's character to even hang around a character like this, especially when she insults other characters like Victoria for doing things that aren't as bad.

Even in the alternate timeline I can't like her because if you choose not to turn off Chloe's machine to let her pass away peacefully, she just continues to scold you.

When I got to the final choice in the game, it couldn't have possibly been any easier for me.
Not only would I choose to save Arcadia Bay personally if I were in that situation, but I honestly didn't care enough about Chloe to even think about just saving her instead of Arcadia Bay.
She spends half of the time in the game going back and forth between being a good friend to Max and constantly bringing her down by getting mad at what felt like anything I did. A lot of the relationship with her just feels forced, unrealistic, and rushed.

I also have absolutely no interest in Before The Storm as a result as well. I really enjoyed Life is Strange but I couldn't care less for that game.
---
Well, that happened.
#1329 Posted: 01:08:41 16/07/2017

I think it looks pretty nice, I just don't know much about it.
---
its nipples
#1330 Posted: 06:37:30 16/07/2017
Quote: Crash10

This seems to be the general consensus. Apart from the art style little else is known, and I'm not exactly sure what's been revealed. I think it's a boss rush game rather than the Rayman: Origins-esque platformer I was expecting but until the game grabs me with more than its aesthetics I'm not in any rush to check it out.
#1331 Posted: 06:41:13 16/07/2017
Quote: Johnbonne

This seems to be the general consensus. Apart from the art style little else is known, and I'm not exactly sure what's been revealed. I think it's a boss rush game rather than the Rayman: Origins-esque platformer I was expecting but until the game grabs me with more than its aesthetics I'm not in any rush to check it out.

It was supposed to be a boss rush at first, but they decided to add actual stages to make the game thicker. I saw some gameplay, it's pretty much a run 'n gun platformer and it looks interesting, besides my unfamiliarity with the genre. I recommend you checking it out to see if you like it.
---
its nipples
#1332 Posted: 01:27:17 17/07/2017
Sorry for the double post, but back to the topic...

I never understood the fascination for open world the Skylanders fans have. You know guys, being linear isn't a bad thing.
---
its nipples
#1333 Posted: 01:33:50 17/07/2017
^ The idea of a world of floating islands being open is kind of interesting to me, but I agree. I like the current setup with a M.A.P. as a lightly more open and explorable hub than usual but traditional chapters. That way development can just focus on making the combat and platforming good, instead of having to make every character fit a new design style for the entire game as well.
Underian Gold Sparx Gems: 2871
#1334 Posted: 05:48:07 17/07/2017
sonic 06 was bad but its still fun,, more fun than modern games sjdbuandhd
---
kuckles
#1335 Posted: 06:06:03 17/07/2017

Sorry for the double post, but back to the topic...

I never understood the fascination for open world the Skylanders fans have. You know guys, being linear isn't a bad thing.

Sure, I wouldn't want the series to lose even more identity.

Just an open-world hub from where you can access the different chapters, which may or may not be as linear as they were in the past.
The M.A.P. was a good start, but it can only get better from that.
---
#1336 Posted: 06:07:03 17/07/2017
I do want them to bring back less obvious puzzles and Element-exclusive traits though, as well as water to fly over. Those were just cool and IMO, gave us some of the best moments in the series because they were so small yet satisfying and really gave a point to all the different characters and elements and things like flying.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:07:52 17/07/2017 by Drawdler
#1337 Posted: 06:14:59 17/07/2017
This I agree. I think that making stuff not only specific to Elements and Gimmicks, but exclusive to certain Skylanders (like those Purple Tzo Crystals) is interesting and I like how it makes individual characters mean more. But, at its core, those are basically paywalls.

About the open world, I don't think it's necessarily bad, I just think it's not really necessary, considering the game's dungeon crawler-esque structure. I would be more interested in dungeon-like structures, with lots of enemies and puzzles on each room to explore, with maybe a few bosses along the way. Think of Zelda, but only its structure, not its gameplay.

Plus, Skylanders is about floating islands. So, as open as the game could be, it would still be clearly divided into many areas, unless you make free flying one of the default means of moving.
---
its nipples
#1338 Posted: 06:19:31 17/07/2017
Yep, those were the small touches which made me fell in love with SA and I really hoped to see them expanded in future entries, instead of being slowly forgotten.
Elements have become nothing more than a way to decide powers, designs and both open locked content and get some stats boosts in the right area.

I want to swim with my Water characters, fly with my Air ones, cross lava streams with the Fire guys, destroy rocks and crystals with the Earth ones and so on.
Though I don't think these are exactly unpopular opinions.
---
#1339 Posted: 07:03:23 17/07/2017
Quote: Drawdler

^ The idea of a world of floating islands being open is kind of interesting to me, but I agree. I like the current setup with a M.A.P. as a lightly more open and explorable hub than usual but traditional chapters. That way development can just focus on making the combat and platforming good, instead of having to make every character fit a new design style for the entire game as well.

This is what I want, nay, expect from a hub in the first place. I love hubs and I like all of the ones Skylanders has done, but without the ability to revisit older levels that isn't through menus is bad design in my opinion. It's even more appalling when Spyro the Dragon was one of the first games to do this really well - the UI elements were in the game (when you collected a gem the number would bounce, Sparx was your health meter, names appeared over the portals). So to have more stuff tied behind menus and panes is bothersome at best and offensive at worst.

I also agree with other posts about dungeon design, that too could work. And I agree with Crash10's original point about linearity not being bad. On the contrary, like the open world it's just another tool in the box for game design. What I don't like is how the openness is actively restrictive, hiding treasures behind fixed camera positions. As I've made "check behind the waterfall" a habit I just find the camera's unresponsive reaction time to me finding somewhere it's hiding to be a pain. So cameras being fixed on the camera or free movement would be great.
#1340 Posted: 07:20:23 17/07/2017
I too must apologise for this double post but I want it to be separate from the above one. I'm OK with the idea of changing character's genders for the pure Hell of it. I don't think it's necessary, and I think if it's done for the sake of progress there's far better ways such as adding new characters or utilising existing ones better (for example, rather than make a female Mario, give Princess Peach their own game. Super Princess Peach was pretty fun). If LoZ fans who disagreed with Rule 63 applying to Link came to me and asked how I'd feel about my favourite characters having their gender swapped, I'd be totally down with a fem Spyro (or y'know, Ember or Cynder) so long as she played the same. And playing as Coco is a pleasant change from Crash, and my favourite part about Wrath of Cortex. She's my most played character in CTR and CNK thanks to her stats.

Just as I don't see the point of doing it for the sake of it, I don't see the point of not doing it. It's a bit of fun and variety, and it doesn't cost PR people to say it's a separate entity/spin-off from the main series to hand wave criticism (for example, Skylanders Academy and the games). There's times when I think it would perhaps damage the character, such as their' voices being just as iconic or important as their looks, and replacing the actor replaces a lot of the core of that character (see MGSV's voice actor change fury, and rightly so). The only problem I see is that it could alienate fans and the people requesting/demanding such changes won't consume that content. Kinda like a less competent Imperium of Man - bringing compliance, only not sticking around to see the planet stay compliant. But let's not get into that.

PS: Waited quite a while to air these thoughts. I wanted to get a feel for how the community was before I made such an unpopular statement. smilie
#1341 Posted: 07:48:16 17/07/2017
I think gender-swapping just for fun is not a problem, and I like how it can play out with the design bits of a character into another genre (because it undoubtedly chances the character's body, that's how genders work). Stuff like Adventure Time has shown you don't need to change those characters besides voice acting and you don't need to replace the normal genders. I like when it's done like that.
---
its nipples
#1342 Posted: 07:56:32 17/07/2017
This a confession and not a popular opinion, but I'll say it here since we're on a similar subject- sometimes in BoTW, I put Link in the Gerudo outfit just to pretend he's a female avatar. I think that's a good solution for everyone who wanted a female option or Linkle. I didn't, really, and I still would have picked male Link if we had the option since he's the tradition hero of the series, but sometimes it's fun pretending the character I'm playing as actually matches my gender. I mean that outfit is really pretty so I'd probably wear it sometimes anyway, but... There's my secret BoTW confession. Shhhh.
Spellslamzer75 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1333
#1343 Posted: 08:00:07 17/07/2017
As far as Square Enix's upcoming games, I'm a lot more excited for Dissidia NT than I am for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Dissidia on a console has been a dream of mine for years. Super excited to finally see it happen.
---
Strength, courage, and evil
#1344 Posted: 20:55:45 17/07/2017
sonic lost world was good in a lot more areas than not pls give me parkor back
---
kuckles
#1345 Posted: 20:58:05 17/07/2017
paper Mario Sticker Star was actually pretty fun in my opinion, the limited stickers did kind of turn me off a bit though
---
#1346 Posted: 21:11:27 17/07/2017
Quote: Underian

I think the parkour would work nicely with the Boost gameplay.
---
its nipples
#1347 Posted: 21:48:56 17/07/2017

Quote: Underian

I think the parkour would work nicely with the Boost gameplay.

i dont like boost gameplay so oshcubwi id prefer if thy brought it back with adventure style gameplay lol
---
kuckles
#1348 Posted: 06:37:31 18/07/2017
This is more of a question about an unpopular opinion than a statement, but how do y'all think Mario Kart 64 is now? Has it aged well (controls, track design, music, etc.) compared not only to other MK games but kart racers in general? It's held up as one of the most popular games of the series, but I for the life of me don't remember it being all that great to begin with as CTR spoilt me. This could do with being in a Mario Kart topic really, so to keep things on track (excuse the pun) I'd like to stick mostly to 64. smilie
#1349 Posted: 06:48:03 18/07/2017
Yeah I don't think 64 was that amazing either. It was my only Mario Kart game until I got a Wii, and I did love it and have some fond memories of it, and I certainly don't feel like it's bad or anything now, there's just not really a reason to go back to it with improvements the series has made. Well, except the tracks. Honestly the tracks are pretty rad and have a lot of fun details like that waterfall in Koopa Troopa Beach and Peach's Castle in Royal Raceway (I'm pretty sad that 8 removed that).

Oh and another unpopular opinion, while we're talking about MK- Super Circuit aside (because the arrows suck), and the arcade games (I only played... GP-2, I think it was, not for very long, which was fun but not really comparable to the main entries), the series got better with every game. Even 7. I know people diss on 7, but customisable karts are so cool, the balance is surprisingly good, it just feels really nice to control and the tracks are pretty good. It's mainly the latter which puts it over MKWii for me. Even though MKW's a great game and has much better replay value than 7 (honestly, maybe even 8, with how easy getting three stars in every MK8 cup is), I feel like MKWii tracks were VERY hit or miss, and a lot of the retro tracks were misses unfortunately.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:51:49 18/07/2017 by Drawdler
First | Previous | Page 27 of 33 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me