Page 1 of 1
Sun Dragon Prototype Gameplay [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 20:53:49 24/08/2015 | Topic Creator
We all know that Sun Dragon was Camo's prototype. But I recently discovered a SSA gameplay prototype video with Sun Dragon being used in gameplay before Camo came into the picture.

Gameplay bit starts at 1:37.

https://vimeo.com/66794172
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:01:27 24/08/2015 by Aura24
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 20:56:44 24/08/2015
...Wow, this game was WAY more Dungeons and Dragons-y back then. Reiche's love for that series shows - Cadaverous Crypt looks much less cartoony and a WHOLE lot more somber.
And Cynder's Expansion used to be what The Necropolis was called? So she would be packed with Darklight Crypt instead at some point?

How did you find this anyway, Aura? It looks pretty well hidden with that "Gordo's Island" thing that sounds like something out of Kirby.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:58:47 24/08/2015 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 20:58:59 24/08/2015 | Topic Creator
A user on the other Spyro Forum found and posted the link, and I saw the gameplay.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#4 Posted: 21:00:42 24/08/2015
Also Cynder's Expansion was stated on the Darklight Crypt battle arena
Not Ghost Roaster
EDIT 2: Oh Bifrost already mentioned that

EDIT 1: Also that first part of Dino-Rang's gameplay (he had blue spikes, cool) had that gear-ish thing reused in Giants.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:10:35 24/08/2015 by weebbby
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#5 Posted: 21:00:58 24/08/2015
Nice find! I absolutely adore his in-game model, I actually prefer it to the Camo that we know today. He has an in-game model, which begs the question - could he return in a future game with a new moveset? We've seen Krypt King, a previously cut Skylander return, so why not 'Sun Dragon'?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:05:19 24/08/2015 by TTD
#6 Posted: 21:02:01 24/08/2015
Huh. Well,it sure looks like this was the last remainder of the Spyro's Kingdom part of the development just as it got the finalized title, because Boomer still has his old design. Too bad at this point I-Wei must've cut Cyclops Slime since there were no water skylanders to be seen. Warnado used to look pretty strange too.

One of the last levels shown also looks way more like Autogyro Adventure with a different lightning config than Arkeyan Armory. Seeing that you also collect chakrams, which in the prototype shelf you could see Weapon Master used to have, maybe he'd be more part of the story.

Quote: TTD
Nice find! I absolutely adore his in-game model, I actually prefer it to the Camo that we know today. He has an in-game model, which begs the question - could he return in a future game with a new moveset? We've seen Krypt King, a previously cut Skylander return, so why not 'Sun Dragon'?

If they rework his gameplay entirely,it's possible. Now that there's a Light element they just need find something to replace the firework themes since Fire Kraken uses them already. He definately could be melee oriented, ironically for a bunch of reptiles walking around with giant claws not a whole lot of them use any.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:14:06 24/08/2015 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 21:22:37 24/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
...Wow, this game was WAY more Dungeons and Dragons-y back then. Reiche's love for that series shows - Cadaverous Crypt looks much less cartoony and a WHOLE lot more somber.
And Cynder's Expansion used to be what The Necropolis was called? So she would be packed with Darklight Crypt instead at some point?

That would explain the Cynder head statues in the maze in Darklight Crypt.
---
#8 Posted: 21:25:36 24/08/2015
Yup, but that's kinda weird since the level by itself doesn't have much to do with her. Considering the other Adventure Pack levels,maybe early in development they were all the characters' home towns. With the changes in design of some and the new backstories,that's obviously not the case,but Spyro's Kingdom sounded like it'd have a lot more about the individual Skylanders,since they'd get animated stories and everything(I recall Boomer having a storyboard for his when he was still the Bomb Troll).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:26:37 24/08/2015 by Bifrost
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#9 Posted: 09:50:11 25/08/2015
Wow, I'm surprised it was around for two years and we didn't notice it until now.
Seeing him clearly and in-motion, I'm glad they chose the newer design for Camo. Sun Dragon just seems a bit withered and weak.
I much prefer the old effects on Warnado's attacks, wish they had kept them. I do prefer this newer design, though.
The cut Arkeyan gear puzzle looks really interesting. I'm glad they re-used that in Giants, I loved it there.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#10 Posted: 10:04:26 25/08/2015
Wow, this really amazing, great to see all these old designs, I wish they had kept them
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#11 Posted: 02:32:53 26/08/2015
They made their own game for the prototypes? I always thought they weren't playable.
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
#12 Posted: 11:30:23 26/08/2015
Quote: PwnageFTW
They made their own game for the prototypes? I always thought they weren't playable.

Considering the unpolished UI,they probably did this the models in the game to manage the gameplay even before making the final figures. That doesn't need to mean they had figures with the chips at any point.
---
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#13 Posted: 20:23:03 26/08/2015
Quote: Aura24
We all know that Sun Dragon was Camo's prototype. But I recently discovered a SSA gameplay prototype video with Sun Dragon being used in gameplay before Camo came into the picture.

Gameplay bit starts at 1:37.

https://vimeo.com/66794172

I can't believe Sun Dragon has Gameplay.
#14 Posted: 20:38:28 26/08/2015
He was in development long enough for the animators they contracted for The Beginning Trailer to put both him and Camo in - more than enough time for the developers to at least fully implement him in the beta version,figure or not - though unlike Buckshot in Giants I don't think there's any trace of his coding left in SSA.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:39:04 26/08/2015 by Bifrost
#15 Posted: 20:43:20 26/08/2015 | Topic Creator
When Sun Dragon was scrapped, Camo was added in the Beginning Trailer as a last minute cameo, while Sun Dragon was just left in there.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me