Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Debating [CLOSED]
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#1 Posted: 23:16:45 05/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Right this may be in completely the wrong section (most likely smilie) and I apologize greatly but I'm a very big classic Spyro fan (up to A Hero's Tail) and I did not like TLoS, but I've never had a chance to play Skylanders as of yet. I've always thought the whole concept sounded very interesting (if not a way to make you almost immediately poor smilie) and I'm prepared to approach it with an open mind instead of looking at it with the whole "They've changed Spyro I don't want to go near" attitude. So basically guys I was wondering as you're all probably way more educated on the subject than me, where do I start? Is there a particular game I should start with? Characters I should purchase? Like I really don't have a clue and I'd like some advice smilie Once again, sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
GaiaMemories Emerald Sparx Gems: 3753
#2 Posted: 23:24:40 05/08/2015
Personally I don’t think there is any paticular game you need to start with, but remember SuperChargers is out in a little over a month. So maybe start there? There are some characters that are quite rare like Ghost Roaster or Boomer but they are getting re-issued. TT is my favorie game but others will dis agree. Sorry if it isn't much help. Also welcme to this fun money pit we call skylanders.
---
Hahahahaha
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 23:41:14 05/08/2015
Section is good enough, more on topic than the specific game ones.
As GaiaMemories said, there's really no better one to start. If you want to follow the story(there's not much of it, you can catch up easily in the Wiki) you can start in SSA, but the game hasn't aged nicely. If you want to see Spyro look a bit better than what older fans say he looks like, from Swap Force foward his model got a facelift and he looks much better. Superchargers might be good to start as well because now there's online, so you can also get more for your buck since you can spend the time racing if you like that.

If you want just a taste of the series first, though, I actually recommend the books; Spyro is a very proeminent character in them. Spyro Versus the Mega Monsters is the first title in a prequel series to SSA, for example.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#4 Posted: 00:51:10 06/08/2015
If you are a Spyro fan . I would say buy SSA or Giants. Pick up a Spyro toy , Cynder toy and Dragons peak adventure pack with all accessories including Sparx the dragonfly .

Going to the poorhouse or not is a choice . There is lots of bargains if you buy the older stuff. Nothing wrong with loose preloved toys .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:54:02 06/08/2015 by Dark fhoenix
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#5 Posted: 01:07:10 06/08/2015
I think SSA is a good starting point. The game uses Spyro as more of a "main character" than the other games and there's an instance where Spyro is directly mentioned if you're using him.

After that, anything is fair game. I think Superchargers might be a good one to hop into if you're looking for something after this. The games really dont use much continuity between them besides the addition of characters, so it doesn't really matter much.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#6 Posted: 01:09:20 06/08/2015
Spyro, Trigger Happy and Gill Grunt are directly mentioned in the game's intro to Shattered Island.
In Giants, the Oracle of Skylands can also refer to any Skylander directly,including Spyro, and the crowd in Arena Challenges can do this as well.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:09:36 06/08/2015 by Bifrost
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#7 Posted: 15:48:56 20/08/2015
I would recommend starting at Spyro's Adventure. It's now extremely cheap (you can buy a preowned disc at GAME for £1.99, plus a few extra quid for a preowned portal). Spyro is also dirt cheap now if you wanted to buy him, you only need one skylander figure to complete the game. If you are big on platforming, I'd recommend starting at Swap Force, it's got a lot of charm and is the first game to incorporate jumping (you may spend a bit more on this game as it was only released in 2013 but you can still buy the starter pack for £14.99 at smyths). You can start at Superchargers if you wish (the story is very self explanatory and you won't need to understand the story of previous games). Good luck!
iceflow76 Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#8 Posted: 16:51:02 20/08/2015
Like everyone has mentioned previously, start with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure.

If your looking for a used Spyro's pick up one with a Blue Base on it. That is the Swap Force version but you can use him on all the games. And if you end up liking SSA and move onto Giants Or any of the others you will be able to upgrade the same figure again in each of the other games.
SSA allows a max character level of 10
Giants allows a max character level of 15
Swap Force and Trap Team allow a max character level of 20.

This will just extent your playability with that character.

Oops, I almost forgot. Each game (except Trap Team) will offer a new power upgrade for that character as well.
---
Characters Owned: 131 of 131 (100%) (Bring on Superchargers)
Figures Owned: 209 of 268 (77.9%)
#9 Posted: 16:55:08 20/08/2015
I think the Series 2(orange base) Spyro is the best looking; if you're not too into Skyro's design the huge horns might not help.
---
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#10 Posted: 07:26:16 21/08/2015
I don't think you should start with Spyro's Adventure. I believe it won't give you an accurate representation of how good the games look visually and all the different types of figures/characters. Start with Trap Team, then go with Swap Force to get a feel of how Superchargers will play (since Vicarious Visions developped both), then move on to Superchargers and follow the flow if you liked your experience smilie You can play Spyro's Adventure and Giants for their stories after Superchargers if you crave for more.
---
bye
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#11 Posted: 16:44:29 21/08/2015
I'd recommend Swap Force over Trap Team, it's the most expensive as it's the most recent and everything will still be pricey. It isn't worth the risk just incase you don't enjoy the game. Furthermore, Swap Force has far more replayability.
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#12 Posted: 16:46:39 21/08/2015
Swap Force definitely has the most post-game content, but for me the game was the worst one in the series as of yet. The gameplay was worse in comparison to the other three for me. I would recommend starting with Spyro's Adventure, especially since you can probably get a copy really cheap on ebay or something.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#13 Posted: 18:26:10 21/08/2015
Quote: TTD
I'd recommend Swap Force over Trap Team, it's the most expensive as it's the most recent and everything will still be pricey. It isn't worth the risk just incase you don't enjoy the game. Furthermore, Swap Force has far more replayability.

I endorse this post.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#14 Posted: 02:23:04 23/08/2015
Spyro's Adventure and Swap Force are two great ways to start out, and if you played both games, you'd basically be up-to-date on how to play,
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#15 Posted: 19:33:59 23/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Guys you've really helped me a lot thank you. My cousins as well who are die hard Skylanders fans have recommended Swap Force to me so I think I'll give it a go, and if Spyro's Adventure is cheap (which I've seen it for like nothing at all on Amazon) no harm in trying that either! smilie
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#16 Posted: 02:15:10 24/08/2015
Get SSA for cheap and get Swap Force too.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#17 Posted: 05:07:00 24/08/2015
Go for SSA or Giants, but if you're going Giants, I recommend this bundle off Walmart with the 7 giants (not including Tree-Rex)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skyl...versal/44786548
---
words. letters. filler.
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#18 Posted: 13:46:20 24/08/2015
I changed my mind on what you should do.

Quote: TacoMakerSkys
Go for SSA or Giants, but if you're going Giants, I recommend this bundle off Walmart with the 7 giants (not including Tree-Rex)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skyl...versal/44786548

Do this.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#19 Posted: 00:18:43 30/08/2015
I would recommend Swap Force, as it's the best Skylanders game so far (IMO) and it's pretty affordable nowadays.

Also, if you're a fan of the old Spyro games and 3D platformers in general, I recommend trying out the 3DS games, as they harken back to that type of gameplay. In fact back before Swap Force came out I was more of a fan of the 3DS games than I was of the console games.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:19:34 30/08/2015 by Muffin Man
#20 Posted: 03:10:00 30/08/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
I would recommend Swap Force, as it's the best Skylanders game so far (IMO) and it's pretty affordable nowadays.

Also, if you're a fan of the old Spyro games and 3D platformers in general, I recommend trying out the 3DS games, as they harken back to that type of gameplay. In fact back before Swap Force came out I was more of a fan of the 3DS games than I was of the console games.

In terms of fun, and hours spent doing the quests and getting all the stars/accolades...I agree. Swap Force is #1. We'll see how SC will do...no evidence yet that we'll see half the after game content that was chock full in Swap Force.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#21 Posted: 03:17:34 30/08/2015
GameStop is doing a buy 2 get 3 free on preowned skylanders. Start your collection there and also buy a preowned version of trap team and a trap team portal.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#22 Posted: 06:57:47 01/09/2015
If your in the US and have a store called "Five below" you can get figures for $5 each new from giants that will work on all games (except SSA if they werent in it), you can also get the wii u copy of the game for $5 (yes no joke, great if u own a wii u)

Gamestop is doing buy 2 get 3 on used like Sleepy0429 said, blue based versions are prob best to get as the series 2/3/4 have the path resets on skills that series 1's lack. If you dont care about that, any figure will pretty much work as long as its on that games roster.

I cant comment on SSA as ive yet to play it (ya i know I need to) because I started when giants hit but I hear great things. Each game is great in its own way, Alot of stores have discount going on the start packs if you look around.

Oh and if you do start with trap team or supercharges you can use those portals on the presious games so u could buy them all used as long as u have a trap team or supercharger portal. (im assuming here since trap teams works with supercharges and there is a portal owners digi pack that traps portal works on superchargers etc)

Also if you have a wii and want SSA new, walmart has it in stock it seems http://www.walmart.com/ip/46179342?reviews_limit=9&
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:01:07 01/09/2015 by SlayerX11
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#23 Posted: 07:59:36 05/09/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
If you are a Spyro fan . I would say buy SSA or Giants. Pick up a Spyro toy , Cynder toy and Dragons peak adventure pack with all accessories including Sparx the dragonfly .

Going to the poorhouse or not is a choice . There is lots of bargains if you buy the older stuff. Nothing wrong with loose preloved toys .

^THIS... you should do this..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#24 Posted: 14:36:26 05/09/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
Quote: Dark fhoenix

^THIS... you should do this..

In terms of preference, Swap Force is the best bet. In terms of affordability, I agree with this post. Lots of ways to slice and dice on this franchise.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me