darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Am I the Only One who Absolutely Loved Trap Team?
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Am I the Only One who Absolutely Loved Trap Team?
Black Star Green Sparx Gems: 425
#51 Posted: 14:08:51 23/01/2016
Trap Team was alright. It was lacking PvP though
---
I'm going to transcend God!
soxbears2001 Green Sparx Gems: 334
#52 Posted: 15:22:04 15/07/2016
Trap Team was my favorite by far. I loved Swap force and SSA, Giants is my least favorite while I have yet to play Superchargers.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2246
#53 Posted: 15:40:00 16/07/2016
"Am I the only one w-"

No. Stop right there.

Trap Team was my favorite game out of the entire series. Had a really good storyline, and the trapping villains gimmick was so fun. Also introduced my favorite elements.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
JohnnySmasher42 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1570
#54 Posted: 16:09:01 30/07/2016
Quote: Luminous35
"Am I the only one w-"

No. Stop right there.

Trap Team was my favorite game out of the entire series. Had a really good storyline, and the trapping villains gimmick was so fun. Also introduced my favorite elements.

This.
And it was extremely hard, introduced many memorable characters, and was very nostalgic (Giants and Spyro's Adventure sound effects, Arbo, Brock, Captain Dreadbeard, Skystones, Chompy Mage, Pipsqueak, Hugo, Cali, Blobbers, Rizzo, Snuckles, etc.). Basically everything good from the old days Swap Force was heavily lacking. Oh, and it also had the best music AND the best bosses in the franchise, INCLUDING the best final boss since Spyro's Adventure.
---
Skylanders is dead and Activision killed it
Tvk Blue Sparx Gems: 869
#55 Posted: 17:32:13 22/08/2016
Love everything about this game. Design , villains, traps and of course the beautiful crafted trapmasters. If I only had the yawn traps...
Sc was a big disappointment for me. Just put a sc figure next to a trapmaster. They really look cheap.

Can't wait for imaginators. I have high expectations
#56 Posted: 16:49:18 10/09/2017
[User Posted Image]

100% score reached today. For me the best game of the series
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:49:47 10/09/2017 by Tvk
emeraldzoroark Yellow Sparx Gems: 1838
#57 Posted: 18:23:19 10/09/2017
Quote: Tvk
[User Posted Image]

100% score reached today. For me the best game of the series

Great Job!

Now do Nightmare
---
Now the true lesson begins!
#58 Posted: 07:39:47 11/09/2017
Thanks, I might try that later. This was on normal.
I have already finished nightmare mode, but not 100%. Is it even possible te get the fourth star on all levels? I can imagine the bossfights take much more time.
Did anyone here accomplish this?
zookinator Emerald Sparx Gems: 3897
#59 Posted: 12:36:47 11/09/2017
I think I may have done it, once upon a time on Wii U. For the Kaos fight I had a glitch, so I didn't need to complete the fourth star as it was already there when Ipayed it. I could probably get the No Lives Lost again cause of my stellar strategy wit Snap Shot and Kaos.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
emeraldzoroark Yellow Sparx Gems: 1838
#60 Posted: 18:12:44 11/09/2017
There is a pretty broken Blackout glitch which makes you invulnerable until you turn off the game.
---
Now the true lesson begins!
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2246
#61 Posted: 10:57:47 17/10/2017
*looks at old post*
wait that's unaccurate.

Trap Team definitely is one of my favorite games. It brought in new villains, a ton of new amazing Characters, incredible levels that are really fun, a great plot... and it even introduced Light and Dark whowerelaterforgotten

While it's not my favorite game, (nothing beats SSA), it's still one of the best and really shouldn't be so underappreciated.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3592
#62 Posted: 23:01:59 05/12/2017 | Topic Creator
*random arrival back to the forum bump*

I need Trap Team back in my life.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 5830
#63 Posted: 23:07:05 05/12/2017
I borrowed some traps and I'm itching to replay some levels for Wiki material. Aside from Giants I don't think I ever looked foward to picking up the other games for things other than completion, but I'm also lazy and I'll wait until I have a free day to dig out my X360.
---
I do art!
Those who called us mad, are you listening? (...) Your future is a farce! You have none!
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2189
#64 Posted: 13:45:41 18/08/2018
Oh man. I'm crazily nostalgic for this entry lately. I've been replaying the first two games on Dolphin on-and-off- playing Giants there when I had so much time on the HD versions is really funny, actually, when the Wii version of that game looks worse than even SA on the Wii- but playing Giants instead of just SA reminded me how even TT had that touch of DnD/Diablo influence in its aesthetic and general vision. SF, SC and SI all lacked it.

I'm not saying that to knock on any of the other games. I still hold SI gets too much heat. Actually, I feel like the same way I would "defend" SI sometimes, I would "defend" TT back in the day- while there was also less apathy towards TT, back in the day there was a lot of talk about it being a downgrade from SF, nixing a lot of things and being rushed. Let's not forget, there are reasons so many people quit during/after this game- and why this topic with this question was made. This game got much more love after its sequels. Try to remember what things were like just before this topic was made.
But anyway, what I'm trying to say is, it felt like the last game to keep that dungeon crawler vibe. It's especially notable because it's the only "modern" (post-Giants) one that did that, makes it feel fresher and much less of a retread than Giants if you want another game with the same aesthetic.

I really love this dungeon crawler vibe so much because it added more identity and detail to the aesthetic, but was also a genius move to complement the mutliple character RPG dungeoncrawly gameplay. It had more to it and it was clearly considered how the aesthetic would go with the game.

Hell, even in game design the VV games try much harder to be adventure platformers and have cinematic moments, especially SC. SI still "feels" like a dungeon crawler to play though with emphasis on combat instead of platforming, just too bad that the levels it had were so basic, definitely loses dungeon puzzle/explorative vibes for the most part (Rat Kingdom and the Brain Quests have some of it) and again the aesthetics weren't there at all.
TT, though, baby- the levels always direct you towards enemies, still have more than that to see and more looking around like SA, but aren't weighed down by slow elements like Giants. Even TT's capturing gimmick was a bit reminiscent of loot rewards- beat the miniboss and you get something new and powerful.

And to this day, you can't really play a lot of the villains anywhere else, nor is there a replacement or supplement for the tag team gimmick. While creating characters is a fantastic gimmick- and I don't really know what my favorite gimmick is between this one and Imaginators- tbh, TT's had a lot more creativity than the rest of them in how it was integrated and added on top of gameplay, and even had speaker functionality.

I still 'member a lot of this game's flaws. It is indeed rushed. It shows in some things that feel clunky and many things that don't feel complete. Almost all the villain quests are lame, honestly. The balance is pretty bad, even amongst a bunch of the new characters. The combat can be wonky. The content is pretty barebones, no PVP and nothing similar to Quests or Heroics for Skylanders, extra modes are nice but don't feel that fleshed out. The Gates sucked (not just as paywalling or devaluation of old toys, but they kinda hurt gameplay, just imagine if you could replay these levels with anyone and explore those gates with them- you go off the beaten path a bit and it makes playing the levels a bit fresher- I do this with SA all the time and I think SC's gates were a piss-poor bandaid of the paywall complaints for this reason). While I actually like having one game with this massive collectable set and enjoy looking back on it nowadays, there were too many variants and items even for me (in particular, Minis never had a reason to exist; if they were some last-minute addition then maybe the time could have been used better on redoing or polishing stuff, though who knows what was really behind them, or how much else would be possible in lieu).
It was still missing the Portal master lore/writing too, though I just accept SA was the only one to really do that right, and I think TT came closer to immersing you than any other sequel thanks to the villain speaker thing. Certainly made having the toys and games interact very novel again (SF aimed for that kinda thing with part swaps, but in effect I almost never used that and it's a different thing from the Traps and speaker anyway). And SC was the one that really jumbled it to an irredeemable degree (and SI was even worse, but, that game's story sucks overall) and that's why TT is personally the last plot I take as canon :') (it happens to be a nice place to end too)

But it still clearly had so much effort in it. Perhaps the best environments of the series, surpassing even SA in ways, so creative and distinct in themes and settings and moods, they just make me smile. The plot is really fun both in scenarios and writing, not to mention the Doom Raiders. The level design has a quite solid balance of fighting and other activities. Best OST of the series. That aesthetic I talked about. So many memorable villains and a top-tier Skylander roster. Overall great gimmick. Solid chapter count and level lengths. Even with a lot of bad balance, the fights are still really exciting, not too breezy but their entire pacing usually doesn't drag. And while again, the combat can be wonky, it always feels satisfying and succeeds kinaesthetically. At least the replay value is focused on combat and we have a mode (or two) about combat instead of being Superchargers laugh my fuggin face off
This isn't even getting into personal memories and nostalgia for the game. What I thought improved from the past games and missed from them at the time. How much I news discovered and shared for it prerelease. General prerelease excitement, especially after SF, when I missed the older aesthetic and "heart" (I thought this game would nail it prerelease, and would even bring back that portal master magic, but also be a bigger game with better mechanics and difficulty- like a marriage between the original style and advancements of SF- it wasn't what I dreamed of, but it was still gureto). Ghostroaster.com. Last scraps of fun, more open discussions and critiques in the fandom. General attachments to all the characters and discoveries in the game (I don't know why, but I completely lost the sense of this in SC and SI, even when I really enjoyed the latter- maybe I just grew up, maybe SC soured me way too much, maybe it had something to do with the fandom and nobody talking about discoveries and experiences as much).

I dunno. I just really miss this game right now. It has a lot of shortcomings and I definitely get the feeling and see that it isn't quite what it could/should have been in an ideal world- did when I was still playing it, too- but I remember I never really disliked it/got bored with it as a whole, because it clearly had so much heart and really had some great ideas for the series. I need to drag my U out.

Honestly, I'd like to do an entire series retrospective in video format. But I don't have the tools for that. I really wanna replay the games and work on this at the same time, which is kinda putting me off just playing, but I can't justify spending moolah with the cost of capture/video cards and the fact this is the only video thing I'd really want to do or end up using the things for. Doesn't help I almost exclusively play on PC or PC emulators nowadays, so I couldn't even justify it as something for generally collecting footage, when I could just use FRAPS or whatever capture software is hot right now. Can't rip my own Wii U ISOs (or probably run CEMU) as a workaround, either, though for this in particular I'd prefer the original games due to emulation inaccuracies. Sigh. I've wanted to do something like this since SF.
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 16:04:34 18/08/2018 by Drawdler
#65 Posted: 04:42:14 19/08/2018
... okay, maybe I should be re-evaluating how much I wrote. But I actually have something more to say, and adding this makes my post go over the limit, so I'll have to double-post.

Next-day addendum: Since I preached it so much I actually decided to look up "dungeon crawler" and D&D and Diablo art, plus actually look at TT in video form again. Yeah, I'll concede, it's not exactly how I remember. There's not something as "metal" as the Undead levels in SA and things are more cartoony (I forgot that there were lasers coming out of artillery in Chapter 14, that's just dumb, compare to SA enemies with scatterguns and actual [though stylised] rockets- or just compare SA Falling Forest to TT Falling Forest and you'll see less subtlety and more "popping out" in the latter).
However, TT definitely still is closer to Diablo or D&D's art than some other entries- due to certain textures and designs in general- and of course its more intsense lighting than the other "modern" games (which I went and looked up too). It's not exactly as I remembered it, visually, but in retrospect I think it was almost a happy medium between the original look and softer/cartoonier look of the other games. If nothing else, SA/SG/TT were for sure a lot more reminiscent of Diablo/D&D's look than the other games, even if a "dungeon crawler artstyle" existing beforehand was a bit of a fallacy. Then again, I'm saying this when I didn't look all too hard last night, don't really play D&D or Diablo, buuuut I don't think you need convincing about the first two games or TT looking so different from SF and less soft than/differently shaded to the last two games. I mean even in kinaesthetics- from what I remember- those other games feel softer with more squeaky sound effects and possibly fewer clangy ones, too. Maybe my memory is failing me.

Sorry I'm just ranting so much, I assume people just think I'm going on about nothing, but I'm actually passionate about this one topic ey. If I did repeat points/ramble about nothing, please let me know, because I actually care about writing and think I did an okay job at it here. And sorry for the double post.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 5830
#66 Posted: 14:05:17 19/08/2018
I always compared Skylanders' art style with Hearthstone or something because of the way they do armor details and neck-less characters. Huh.
---
I do art!
Those who called us mad, are you listening? (...) Your future is a farce! You have none!
#67 Posted: 02:01:54 23/08/2018
thinking.bmp Hmm, I know that came afterwards but maaybe you're right. Does strike me as having a bit more natural soft/lighting (Hearthstone, that is), but I think that design does look closer. Obviously though, Hearthstone couldn't have influenced Skylanders, and the SA has the most of that style I'm seeing/(trying to) talking about. I REALLY want to know more about Skylanders' original influence and if this was something intentional, I'm completely off-base, or the artists were into stuff at the time that just happened to rub off on SA.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me