Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Hex Giants Lightcore - Any reason it's so unpopular?
Page 1 of 1
Hex Giants Lightcore - Any reason it's so unpopular? [CLOSED]
TJRedeemer Blue Sparx Gems: 596
#1 Posted: 05:42:43 16/07/2015 | Topic Creator
At my local GameStop, she is both on a rack literally gathering dust and also in the clearance bin. One day I finally decided to pick one up just because I like elves. But I was wondering is there any reason why people seem to avoid her like the plague? Bad design? Bad gameplay? Or maybe just because she's an older figure?
dinodig1767 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1245
#2 Posted: 06:21:31 16/07/2015
She was given out for free with, I think the purchase? or the preorder of Skylanders Swap Force. So everyone immediately got her, then they released her en mass to every store. She has stayed a shelf warmer only until recently. I think people are just tired of seeing her...I personally like her light up effect though!
---
Check my website out! http://skylandersinventoryadventure.weebly.com
It's about skylanders(PM me if interested in the custom section)
Updated 8/24/14
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#3 Posted: 08:55:01 16/07/2015
I am a hex fan , I would buy her in a heartbeat .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 11:57:31 16/07/2015
Might be also because her quality isn't as good as the other versions... Got one from someone that auctions LC Hexes almost weekly on Ebay, but her paintjob is pretty terrible - she was painted with some really thick paint that removed a lot of the detailing and doesn't feel glossy like it usually is, there's also some bubbles inside the transparent area but hardly as bad as my Scarlet Ninjini and the lights are still very nice.
Compared to S2 Hex, which was Wave 1 of Giants iirc, really feels like a step down both in gameplay and appearance.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Vertalus Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#5 Posted: 12:19:36 16/07/2015
They had a bunch down to the Toys r us I went to. Was free when you spent over 20$ Im not sure, I like her
---
Favorite type Skylander: Feline and Dragon. Still need: Echo, Rocky Roll, the ever elusive dark element trap,and more
moamahrimatoro Green Sparx Gems: 393
#6 Posted: 12:41:29 16/07/2015
In my store they r always doing promotions with her. Once, if you bought a Trap Master, you got her free!
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#7 Posted: 12:46:35 16/07/2015
She was highly wanted when Giants was the latest game. But they decided not to release her until Swap Force came out. They used her as a pre-order incentive, offering her free if you pre-ordered the game. Stores got tons in stock, but by then everyone had moved on to Swap Force. The completionists picked her up (many with their pre-orders), but the majority of customers had just moved on and didn't care.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#8 Posted: 15:38:55 16/07/2015
It's not thats she's unpopular...its because they made a buttt load of them...why? ..i haven't a clue.
When theres so few of the others...Spotlight an Blackout for example....go figure. smilie
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#9 Posted: 15:59:07 16/07/2015
It probably doesn't help that she came out so late and yet doesn't have her Wow Pow, and Hex has a particularly important Wow Pow. It also doesn't help that she lights up in an awkward place under her dress when her Series 2 pose had an awesome skull orb that could've been glowing instead if they'd included it in the Lightcore pose.

Seriously if they really want Lightcores to sell then they shouldn't gimp them out of the gate.
---
Boop me if you see this.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#10 Posted: 16:04:35 16/07/2015
The lackluster features (no wow pow, stuck as a 1st edition figure) of a lightcore is the #1 reason. The somewhat increased rates of failure as observed by myself and others here are probably the #2 reason.
#11 Posted: 19:46:49 16/07/2015
I love lightcores . Its a unique concept and you get an ingame variant glow and it hopefully lights up

How sad . This is going down the same path as Boomer . No more LC , which means they will become rare and then suddenly everyone loves them .
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:47:47 16/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#12 Posted: 21:15:04 16/07/2015
umm idk if she will ever be rare. ive seen more LC hex than any other figure, besides headrush at target lol.
jesse217 Blue Sparx Gems: 696
#13 Posted: 21:48:54 16/07/2015
I got for free from ebgames a few months back, she was free with any purchase of skylanders used or new of 20$, I personally don't like her, she's slow, her spells are slow too, plus she isn't that powerful either, at least to me. I mostly only use her for the lightcore shockwave lol.
---
Currently playing:
Resident evil Revelations, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#14 Posted: 02:54:51 17/07/2015
She was a preorder bonus for Swap Force from nearly every store, plus the extras were used for sales later on.

She came in shipments of only her so there's no other characters that would've helped lower numbers.

And her series 2 figure with the encapsulated skulls is so much cooler. Plus her lightcore effect is weird. Why not a glowing skull or bones? Why the dress?
---
#all Spyros are valid
#15 Posted: 16:34:37 17/07/2015
I got several of them during Christmas sales, as TRU was having some crazy deals that were stacking. I was getting trap masters, LC Hex, and Kaos traps really cheap with that promo. They were giving away 2 traps with the purchase of LC Hex (which was cheaper than buying 2 traps by themselves). There was also a $10 off $35 sale going on, plus a random unadvertised promotion that no one figured out. I was going out the door paying $20 for a Trap Master, a core Skylkander, a LC Hex and 2 traps (including Kaos traps that they had just gotten in abundance at the time). I did that a couple of times so ended up with extra LC Hexes. I gave one to my niece, my son kept one, and I think we still have one unopened lying around.
#16 Posted: 09:58:02 18/07/2015
Thats so unfair . I want one .
---
#17 Posted: 17:04:55 20/07/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
I love lightcores . Its a unique concept and you get an ingame variant glow and it hopefully lights up

The concept is awesome, it's just the execution that's lame. So many of the lightcores have their light-up parts chosen seemingly at random, with little to no thought put into whether or not it's the best place to light up. And the entry nuke isn't nearly enough to make up for the lack of a Wow Pow or path switching.

Also it's a travesty that the Trap Masters (A line of figures based around crystal weapons that glow in-game!) didn't use lightcore technology. What the hell is up with that?

If only a little bit more effort was put into them then they could've been something great.
---
Boop me if you see this.
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#18 Posted: 17:09:03 20/07/2015
I'm not a big fan of lightcores. All they do is light up on the portal and just make a flash bomb in-game. No good upgrades. Also the previous character lightcores don't have wow pows.
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:10:00 20/07/2015 by LameLime
#19 Posted: 17:16:22 20/07/2015
They're definately better when combined with a gimmicklander. Tree Rex for example, just looks alive when used since his eyes are only a vibrant blue when he's on the portal - Crusher the same with his crystals. As a regular LC, nothing too special. If that was done with Trap Masters it'd definately feel pretty amazing as well, especially if they responded to villains ingame by lighting up as suggested many times here.
---
#20 Posted: 00:13:28 21/07/2015
Quote:
And the entry nuke isn't nearly enough to make up for the lack of a Wow Pow or path switching.

Never needed path switching and that flash bomb beats quite a few wow pow,s and soul gem powers .

Who can deny the fun of lining up a bunch of lightcores that bomb a strong monster one after the other
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:15:10 21/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#21 Posted: 15:27:44 21/07/2015
I remember playing Giants and my son and I got near the end of the game but all of our Skylanders had "died". He had somehow gotten it into Nightmare mode and there was no way to switch it, so we had taken a long time to finally get to the end of the game. It was waaaaaay past his bed time, as it took us so long to get through the level, so we made him go to bed. Then I remembered we had a Shroomboom hidden away for a birthday gift. Since we had worked so hard, I figured I would put him on the portal (without taking him out of the package) and give it a shot. His flash bomb was enough to beat Kaos and the game smilie
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#22 Posted: 15:39:43 21/07/2015
I ended up buying two Hex Lightcores but my point would remain that if you have one you already know what path to put her on and shouldn't consider sending her down the other path. Nobody needs a second one of her for any reason.

I did buy a second Lightcore Hex but only because i'm a fan of Hex and I felt terrible that I knowingly sent her down the wrong path (knowing in advance that there is no reason to send her down the path that shoots the light balls) but since I did all the HC's with her I didn't have the heart to reset her.
#23 Posted: 15:43:14 21/07/2015
Shade Master is really only useful with Hijinx, since she's the only one with the speed to dodge right after the attack. No matter how many S1,S2s or LCs you have of Hex, you want that Master Caster upgrade on all of them to not die all the time.
---
#24 Posted: 20:42:47 21/07/2015
The thing with path switching is that it makes it much more convenient to figure out which path is best on your own since you can switch back and forth without consequence. Otherwise you have to reset the figure every time you want to try out the other path, or you have to look up other people's opinions online, neither of which are as fun as figuring it out for yourself via path switching.

Obviously if you're already well-informed about a particular Skylander's paths then switching is not much of an issue (unless both paths are good), but I imagine that when most people buy a new figure they only know what's shown in the store's demo video.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:43:47 21/07/2015 by Muffin Man
#25 Posted: 09:27:26 22/07/2015
Quote:
Shade Master is really only useful with Hijinx, since she's the only one with the speed to dodge right after the attack. No matter how many S1,S2s or LCs you have of Hex, you want that Master Caster upgrade on all of them to not die all the time.

Trust me on this one . If you are playing with a buddy , you need Shade Master . The bone skill is too slow .

Quote:
The thing with path switching is that it makes it much more convenient to figure out which path is best on your own since you can switch back and forth without consequence. Otherwise you have to reset the figure every time you want to try out the other path

There is only two skill trees . When you play on one of the last levels and with all your gem butterflies , you can reclaim all your powers and get to a high level in under an hour . I dont think i ever used the path switch feature.
---
#26 Posted: 11:16:01 22/07/2015
With Master Caster you hardly need to charge fully unless you're going to clean up with Skull Buddy. Faster than any of the skulls is setting up the bone wall, and it's amazing to trick enemies to rub their faces in it while being far enough to not provoke them into attacking.
---
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#27 Posted: 13:43:16 22/07/2015
Simple answer. Get a few LC Hex figures (free/cheap) rip them apart. Take the Lightcore element and LED out and mod it into Trap Master figures to make the weapons glow.

Give the donor hex figure a decent burial.
#28 Posted: 13:55:27 22/07/2015
Quote: Pyrofer
Simple answer. Get a few LC Hex figures (free/cheap) rip them apart. Take the Lightcore element and LED out and mod it into Trap Master figures to make the weapons glow.

Give the donor hex figure a decent burial.

I won't question the horrifying morals of killing best Undead, but it must be pretty hard to mod the LC into the weapons - they're all solid and most of the time have extremely tiny connections to the character, the wires would show no matter how well you carved it.
---
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#29 Posted: 14:36:34 22/07/2015
I've seen some amazing mods on here and elsewhere, I won't question peoples ability to do this smilie

Also, most of the figures have a lot of space inside for wires etc. You would put the LED at the point the weapon joins the figures hand etc and side illuminate it. Maybe drill into it a little to insert the LED if it's got a hidden part to do that.

I know this isn't exactly a "mass market" suggestion, but I can see at least one person doing it and having amazing looking Trap Masters.
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#30 Posted: 14:00:17 25/07/2015
Same. My local Gamestop has shelves of them collecting dust on the package.
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
boomerfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1602
#31 Posted: 14:00:07 28/08/2015
I see her in my local game store (uk) for a pound each. There is even an offer where you buy one skylanders item of any kind and you get her for free.
---
smilieBRING THE BOOM!smilie
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#32 Posted: 15:53:11 28/08/2015
Late release and overproduction...two things that don't go well together.
Banditguy Green Sparx Gems: 224
#33 Posted: 19:11:39 02/09/2015
I got her with that preorder box in TRU uk but as for her gameplay it is ok but is just 'meh' well for me anyways
---
Mario kart 8: destroyer of friendships
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me