Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Base Color
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#1 Posted: 01:27:25 01/07/2015 | Topic Creator
You probably have noticed this before, but the main solid color of the bases for SSC is confirmed to be yellow. The E3 Hot Streak packaging had a solid yellow bottom side, also we all know the engine bases are yellow/gold. So yeah, this game's color is yellow.
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#2 Posted: 01:43:52 01/07/2015
E3 Hot Streak has a yellow underside because that was part of the new paint job. Regular Hot Streak, and every other vehicle, does not.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#3 Posted: 01:44:45 01/07/2015
The color of the base is based on the character's Element no?
---
bye
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#4 Posted: 01:50:32 01/07/2015
They don't have real coloured bases, they're all just engines, aren't they?
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#5 Posted: 02:13:45 01/07/2015
There technically isn't a base, unless you call the engine the figure rests on as a base. Colored bottoms aren't part of this game unlike previous entries.
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#6 Posted: 02:23:29 01/07/2015
LameLime is saying that the base color would have been Yellow IF they did the normal (better) bases. SSA was Green, SG was Orange, SSF was Blue, STT was Red, and SSC would/should have been Yellow. See bottom of your SkyLanders boxes for color (where the SKU is located).
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#7 Posted: 03:28:31 01/07/2015
Quote: Portal___Master
LameLime is saying that the base color would have been Yellow IF they did the normal (better) bases. SSA was Green, SG was Orange, SSF was Blue, STT was Red, and SSC would/should have been Yellow. See bottom of your SkyLanders boxes for color (where the SKU is located).

Well yellow is the closest of the 6 basic colors to bronze.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#8 Posted: 03:46:28 01/07/2015
The E3 Hot Streak's base is pure black, where the element symbol is.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#9 Posted: 03:49:23 01/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Nobody addresses the base's color on skylander packaging? I'm not talking about the figures, no no no, I'm talking about the packaging. Pretty much every skylander packaging has the solid color bottom side of their base color. That's what I'm pointing out.

Look at this picture of the E3 Hot Streak. Notice how at the bottom there is some yellow. Usually the base color can be seen on the edge of other sides.

[User Posted Image]
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#10 Posted: 03:54:23 01/07/2015
Vehicles don't even have bases...
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#11 Posted: 04:07:06 01/07/2015
You should have been more clear that you were talking about the base of the packaging and not the toy.
---
bye
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#12 Posted: 08:23:29 01/07/2015
LameLime.

You, Sir, have just solved me a big, BIG problem.

I keep track of my collection using a smartphone app which lets you organize your lists with the help of colors.

So I went with green for SA, orange for Giants, blue for SWAP Force and red for Trap Team... But I really didn't know which color would have suited SuperChargers better (since someone had the brilliant idea to wipe out a 4 games old tradition...).
This makes me even more happy because that's exactly the color I would have choosed: it goes along with speed and races and is also in the logo and background (can't go with orange/red).

So thank you. Thank you a lot. smilie

*Looks like you can't escape the color code this easily, eh, V.V...? smilie
Would be funny if this was a last time TfB decision smilie (just kidding, don't want anyone to feel "offended")*
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#13 Posted: 14:03:30 01/07/2015
Quote: LameLime
Nobody addresses the base's color on skylander packaging? I'm not talking about the figures, no no no, I'm talking about the packaging. Pretty much every skylander packaging has the solid color bottom side of their base color. That's what I'm pointing out.

Look at this picture of the E3 Hot Streak. Notice how at the bottom there is some yellow. Usually the base color can be seen on the edge of other sides.

[User Posted Image]

I knew what you were saying LL, especially since you said packaging in the first post. smilie
For the toys, I wish they stuck w/ regular bases and Yellow Bases for SCC.
For the toys, IMO the Red and Orange bases are sometimes difficult to tell apart, but the Yellow bases would have stood out.
---
smilie
ultyzaus Yellow Sparx Gems: 1700
#14 Posted: 14:39:39 01/07/2015
Indeed. I never paid attention to the fact that the bottom of the packaging matches the figure's bases for all the previous games.
---
http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/
223/254, 17 superchargers, 14 vehicles
Characters missing: Rocky Roll, Splat, Nightfall, Thrillipede
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#15 Posted: 14:53:39 01/07/2015
There's several reasons why they probably scrapped the colored bases.

1. They fell off easily.

2. Water posed a risk to several figures.

3. They removed the "magic" feel to the toys.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#16 Posted: 14:56:34 01/07/2015
But on retrospect, slapping a giant mud-colored engine in to hold the chip is just as silly. It's even more immersion breaking,actually, the plastic bases were very subtle.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:56:49 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#17 Posted: 15:22:08 01/07/2015
I think the reason they got rid of colored bases was because there aren't any series in this game. There is no series 1/2/3/etc. to think about. It does seem like all figures are considered gimmicklanders (even the returning characters), and since they've never reposed a gimmicklander, they probably don't need to worry about series identification in the future.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#18 Posted: 15:33:02 01/07/2015
Quote: obidawsn
I think the reason they got rid of colored bases was because there aren't any series in this game. There is no series 1/2/3/etc. to think about. It does seem like all figures are considered gimmicklanders (even the returning characters), and since they've never reposed a gimmicklander, they probably don't need to worry about series identification in the future.

Well what I'm wondering is how they will handle reposes in the future. Especially if they repose the returning characters from Superchargers. What series would they be? Or do you think they are done with S2, 3, 4 etc.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#19 Posted: 15:45:01 01/07/2015
Gimmicklanders don't get reposes,though. And if gimmick-reposes are gimmicklanders, even if they're reposes.... Ok, this is going to tie my brain in a knot at this rate.
---
#20 Posted: 15:46:40 01/07/2015
Quote: Bifrost
But on retrospect, slapping a giant mud-colored engine in to hold the chip is just as silly. It's even more immersion breaking,actually, the plastic bases were very subtle.

Agree.

I think other decisions suchs as those ugly and useless engines, the restrictions of two Skylanders to only certain versions of the game and a radical change in some of the bases actually takes out much more magic than a slim colored transparent base.

Regarding resistance I never experienced a base falling off from a figure even when the figure itself fell from a certain height.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#21 Posted: 15:49:32 01/07/2015
What's going to be interesting is the next game (if applicable), because surely the Engine Bases will not be created for the Sky 6 game.
Another reason I doubt is that I don't think TfB will use VV Engine bases, like some other Tfb/VV things that each developer prefers/not prefers.
---
smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:53:21 01/07/2015 by Portal___Master
#22 Posted: 15:50:48 01/07/2015
I stuck entire figures under a hair dryer for long periods of time for customs,never had one base fall off. Might happen by dropping it in the wrong side too much,but the thing is way sturdier than it looks.

For next game,if TFB doesn't go straight back to bases, they'll probably do one shaped after the new gimmick.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:51:22 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#23 Posted: 16:01:50 01/07/2015
I'm confident TfB will bring back colored bases as long as many other elements this entry apparently forgot or heavily change.

I don't want future bases to tickle my OCD as much as this year's... X/
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#24 Posted: 16:09:40 01/07/2015
Quote: Drek95
I'm confident TfB will bring back colored bases as long as many other elements this entry apparently forgot or heavily change.

^ This SO much Drek!!!

I'm going to be at an impasse on how to display these Vehicles...to display them by Element type OR pair them with their Drivers in their respective Element line. Or I guess a third option is to line up the Vehicles by themselves by Element. #FirstClass1stWorldProblems LOL
It would be no problem if all the Vehicles paired up Elementally with their Drivers, but for some, this is not the case.
---
smilie
ultyzaus Yellow Sparx Gems: 1700
#25 Posted: 16:09:44 01/07/2015
They seem to have tried to mimick the amiibos with the engine vase, as each amiibo series has a different base design.
---
http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/
223/254, 17 superchargers, 14 vehicles
Characters missing: Rocky Roll, Splat, Nightfall, Thrillipede
#26 Posted: 16:18:11 01/07/2015
But Amiibo bases are still very subtle as well - it doesn't take 1/3 of the figure,it's more like 1/4 or 1/5, and it usually just looks like the character is casually standing on the pedestal. The engine isn't something you think as subtle compared to the Smash pedestal or a green pipe.
---
#27 Posted: 16:33:53 01/07/2015

^ This SO much Drek!!!

I'm going to be at an impasse on how to display these Vehicles...to display them by Element type OR pair them with their Drivers in their respective Element line. Or I guess a third option is to line up the Vehicles by themselves by Element. #FirstClass1stWorldProblems LOL
It would be no problem if all the Vehicles paired up Elementally with their Drivers, but for some, this is not the case.

Curse you, Bowser and Donkey Kong!
Curse you and your different elementally-alligned vehicles! smilie

I'm sick of medals, engines or symbols.

The very first game enstablished an easy and recognizable set of figure-related features.
A base has crystals and mud? Then it's an Earth base!
Flames? Fire!
Metallic gears? Tech!
And each character also had a colored base to know the game where he was playable for the first time.

Through the games we've had bases shaped differently for big (Giants, Swappers, Trap Masters) or uncommon (Tread Head) characters but they always kept the feeling of the original SA bases.
The only exceptions were SWAP Force (coincidentally also created by V.V.) and their medals but they were helpful after all since you couldn't immediately tell some Skylanders' specific abilities only from their look.

Then this year we have those metallic abominations which completely ruined the legacy look for most of the bases or entirely altered their look (better? Worse? Doesn't matter, it wasn't necessary) just for the sake of a fantomatic "innovation".

Aaaaah... Nevermind.
We always have next year for a true gameplay innovation which can keep the tradition intact and shake things up.
Not a thing which only looks innovative but simply adds new features without effectively changing anything that could benefit from a change.

Sorry if it sounded like a rant, didn't want to but had to let those thoughts out.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
superhalite Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#28 Posted: 19:07:48 01/07/2015

^ This SO much Drek!!!

Curse you, Bowser and Donkey Kong!
Curse you and your different elementally-alligned vehicles! smilie

I'm sick of medals, engines or symbols.

The very first game enstablished an easy and recognizable set of figure-related features.
A base has crystals and mud? Then it's an Earth base!
Flames? Fire!
Metallic gears? Tech!
And each character also had a colored base to know the game where he was playable for the first time.

Through the games we've had bases shaped differently for big (Giants, Swappers, Trap Masters) or uncommon (Tread Head) characters but they always kept the feeling of the original SA bases.
The only exceptions were SWAP Force (coincidentally also created by V.V.) and their medals but they were helpful after all since you couldn't immediately tell some Skylanders' specific abilities only from their look.

Then this year we have those metallic abominations which completely ruined the legacy look for most of the bases or entirely altered their look (better? Worse? Doesn't matter, it wasn't necessary) just for the sake of a fantomatic "innovation".

Aaaaah... Nevermind.
We always have next year for a true gameplay innovation which can keep the tradition intact and shake things up.
Not a thing which only looks innovative but simply adds new features without effectively changing anything that could benefit from a change.

Sorry if it sounded like a rant, didn't want to but had to let those thoughts out.

True. It doesn't make me wary about how the game will be, but I think it was a small mistake adding no base color.
---
We rely too much on technology yes that is true,but it's not going anywhere.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#29 Posted: 22:09:48 01/07/2015
Yellow it is then :-)
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#30 Posted: 22:27:34 01/07/2015
Am I the only one who, of all the things to worry about, find the lack of a small piece of colored plastic that does *nothing* to add to the game/figure, no where near my list of concerns on this game.
#31 Posted: 22:30:00 01/07/2015
Well, the lack of that small piece of plastic that does nothing replaced with an engine makes the figure more expensive in their logic, so.
---
#32 Posted: 22:55:16 01/07/2015
Well, the lack of that small piece of plastic that does nothing replaced with an engine makes the figure more expensive in their logic, so.

This.
And partially ruins the original base concept.

Thinking about it even replacing the figures with white cubes with characters' names on them wouldn't affect the gameplay at all.
Yet it would ruin the overall Skylanders experience.

Do we even have a lore explanation for the engines?
Were they formed while the SuperChargers were freezing or was it a gift from whoever gave them that rank...?
If they explain it in the introduction or in the prequel comic I will accept them even if I'll still don't like the look of the figures themselves.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#33 Posted: 23:11:24 01/07/2015
Graphic novel's not coming out until weeks before release(without delays, because the comic series has delays all the time)so we can't rely on that. Unless the Trap Team finale hints at it, we'll have to see an answer from Lou(not really sure about the other devs, he answers so much more for lore and non-spoilery bits than them).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:11:54 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#34 Posted: 23:23:31 01/07/2015
Well I don't mind waiting.
But I want some serious explanations.

Not "they looked cool, so, why not?".
That would seriously annoy me.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#35 Posted: 23:31:29 01/07/2015
Drek and I are all about dat base.
---
smilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#36 Posted: 00:03:00 02/07/2015
Thinking about it even replacing the figures with white cubes with characters' names on them wouldn't affect the gameplay at all.

Agreed. Which is why I said "game/figure". :D
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#37 Posted: 05:49:06 02/07/2015
Do we even have a lore explanation for the engines?
Were they formed while the SuperChargers were freezing or was it a gift from whoever gave them that rank...?
If they explain it in the introduction or in the prequel comic I will accept them even if I'll still don't like the look of the figures themselves.

I am now imagining the SuperChargers being flung away like all previous Skylanders, but along with the engines and their vehicles, similarly to traps in Trap Team. Clinging on to the engines in order to survive the trip into the nothingness by opening* an emergency rift to our world, which froze them instantly, rather than slowly getting frozen and having an elemental pedestal form beneath them.

*: This exhausted the engines, which were frozen while spewing out their remaining elemental power, excusing the need for a rift engine vehicle on the portal at all times to open rifts, despite the rift engine pedestals.

Also applicable to the revamps, though they would be on a mission for the portal master, and had a separate event with the same outcome. Since it happened so quickly, they too got frozen instantly, severing the portal connection, and rendering them unable to return to the portal master. While VV/Acti can't take away your existing toys, that would be a lore reason why you shouldn't use them.

I may have put too much thought into this XP
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:50:19 02/07/2015 by Nightmoon
#38 Posted: 08:12:58 02/07/2015
Quote: UncleBob

Agreed. Which is why I said "game/figure". smilie

You are right but I think the figures have been already partially "ruined" with those engines under them.
I prefer my figures to keep their legacy look and the gameplay to receive innovations.
Oh, and both changes should at least mprove what we already have not ruin it.

Nightmoon, your idea could actually work: they don't need them to drive but they need them to open Rift Portals.

You also brought up a really interesting question: how are they going to explain revamps SuperChargers?
"They aren't S2/3/4, they are brand new characters with new powers and abilities".
Well, then, how? Why?

Why can I still use my Stealth Elf if this "brand new character" is around?
Really curious to hear their explanations.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#39 Posted: 05:11:59 03/07/2015
The plastic motor was (not trying to sound mean) dumb and useless. Just like the trap masters, they have NO function but to make them look different from the other skylanders we love. I wanna hear an explanation to why they did this. A way better idea would be to swap out the bases so they can be put on to a vehicle or something like that.
---
#40 Posted: 08:29:23 03/07/2015
Quote: superhalite
The plastic motor was (not trying to sound mean) dumb and useless. Just like the trap masters, they have NO function but to make them look different from the other skylanders we love. I wanna hear an explanation to why they did this. A way better idea would be to swap out the bases so they can be put on to a vehicle or something like that.

Yeah, that's what I immediately thought when I saw them!
But the vehicles would ammitedly have been too large...

So when I saw their size I thought "well they will probably be activated only by the SuperChargers because they have their engines under their figure forms"... But no, because all the Skylanders can drive them (which is AWESOME)... Yet my question remains.
What do they do outside of looking "new and shiny"...?

Trap Masters' crystal weapons were a huge missed opportunity and a simply dinamic lightcore technology would have been enough to make them unique but at least they had a reason to exsist and each one had a specific backstory tied to its owner.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#41 Posted: 08:51:19 03/07/2015
Kids like "new and shiny", unlike grumpy old gits who hate change. :P
What would the old bases do outside of looking old and overused?

Personally, I think the engines look cool.
#42 Posted: 10:19:45 03/07/2015
Quote: FireMeowth
Kids like "new and shiny", unlike grumpy old gits who hate change. smilie

What would the old base do?
Except of giving a sense of connection through the games?
Nothing.

To each their own but I don't personally like paying more for something who doesn't give me more.
And apparently those engines are what makes these figures worth 12,99$/€.
Oh, and kids don't buy the games and figures, their "old and grumpy" parents do. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#43 Posted: 15:41:31 03/07/2015
Quote: FireMeowth
Kids like "new and shiny", unlike grumpy old gits who hate change. smilie

What would the old base do?
Except of giving a sense of connection through the games?
Nothing.

To each their own but I don't personally like paying more for something who doesn't give me more.
And apparently those engines are what makes these figures worth 12,99$/€.
Oh, and kids don't buy the games and figures, their "old and grumpy" parents do. smilie

Exactly. Without the motors they are just cores who get to become special because they built vehicles.
---
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#44 Posted: 17:32:00 03/07/2015
They cost more because they are gimmicklanders with special in-game functions (supercharging and modding vehicles), and gimmicklanders always cost more because of their special in-game functions. The engine is just a way of clearly showing that they are superchargers. They could have put them on normal bases just like previous gimmicklanders were on normal bases and they still would've charged more.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#45 Posted: 18:32:54 03/07/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
They cost more because they are gimmicklanders with special in-game functions (supercharging and modding vehicles), and gimmicklanders always cost more because of their special in-game functions. The engine is just a way of clearly showing that they are superchargers. They could have put them on normal bases just like previous gimmicklanders were on normal bases and they still would've charged more.

Everyone can mod vehicles, the Superchargers only unlock special mods.
---
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#46 Posted: 18:56:34 03/07/2015

Everyone can mod vehicles, the Superchargers only unlock special mods.

Really? I could've sworn they said somewhere that only Superchargers could. Well, regardless, the point is that the Superchargers cost more because of whatever special in-game functions they have.

Edit: Here's where I saw it:

http://skylanders.wikia.com/wi...:_SuperChargers

Quote:
Customized Vehicles – In Skylanders SuperChargers, kids explore Skylands like never before by going behind the wheel of powerful, tricked-out vehicles. SuperChargers will have the ability to customize vehicles in-game with super cool modifications and upgradeable weapons. As players travel throughout the game, they can also discover hidden mods such as a volcanic booster engine that spews lava rocks and jet wings with feathers made of gold.

Granted, a wiki can always be wrong.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:13:05 03/07/2015 by Muffin Man
#47 Posted: 19:35:40 03/07/2015
It's probably from some source that worded it poorly, you can only use the supercharged mods with the Supercharger but anyone can edit around the normal ones. I'll let the other editors decide if it's better to keep it like the source or rewrite it :U
---
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#48 Posted: 20:23:51 03/07/2015
From all the interviews only supercharger characters cam mod. Everyone can drive them but only superchargers can mod at all. They get the special mods when matched with their own vehicle.
HuskerfanChuck Yellow Sparx Gems: 1225
#49 Posted: 22:27:27 03/07/2015
Aye. Lou was very specific about that when Skydad asked what made the superchargers special in the June 3 videos, specifically saying Superchargers were the only ones who could mod the vehicles.
---
HuskerfanChuck

Repping the Light, Huskers, and Nebraska!
#50 Posted: 23:39:17 03/07/2015
And they have to charge them more because...?

I only need my Spitfire to mod all the vehicles.
Why do I need to pay more for characters which don't do more?

And before you say "Giants were the same" they also had a lightcore technology inside them.
SuperChargers...?
Fancy bronze engine.
Cool, uh?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me