Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Used Skylander Topic [CLOSED]
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#1 Posted: 16:19:06 29/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Last week I thought of a new skylander shopping thing for myself where I should just buy skylanders used. I'm seeing a lot of good figures used at EB Games that are only $3-$5 CAD (CAD has higher prices than USD) and I've bought more used than new. Thanks to this used skylander thing they started last December, I got half of the whole SSA collection after my three starter pack ones, and can find plenty of hard to find figures or old discontinued ones from previous games.

I'm currently focusing on figures from SSA and Giants, I'm really glad I found Giants figures because I tried doing a whole collection myself two years ago when Giants was the latest game. I'm trying again and it's easier with lower prices and ones I never found in stores back in the day. I got S2 Drobot, Hot Dog, and Fright Rider which I didn't see often. If SSF gets older and I see more used SSF figures, I'll probably start a big SSF collection.

Anybody else collect used skylanders a lot?
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:56:41 12/07/2015 by LameLime
Cyzyk Red Sparx Gems: 22
#2 Posted: 16:53:49 29/06/2015
I only just started with the game this week (got Giants first since I didn't want to haul out an old console for SSA) and got nearly everything used except the starter set and a Lightcore Hex (who was in the bargain bin for $5 new). For about a hundred bucks, I've gotten the starter and about 30 figures, including all eight giants, among them Scarlet Ninjini, Granite Crusher, Pumpkin Eye-Brawl, and Legendary Bouncer.

So probably a good time to start.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#3 Posted: 17:29:25 29/06/2015
Just two weeks ago at a garage sale I found about 30 or so various Skylanders figures for $1 each but I only needed 5 or so of them. Heck, I rescued one from a dumpster the other week as well, so I'm even getting them for free sometimes. LOL!

My history of buying Skylanders is mostly like this though. I bought complete collections of SSA and Giants used off ebay, as well as a set of eight Swappers to unlock the gates in order to complete that game. Instant collection right off the bat, I rarely bought anything band new back then.

With Swap Force, I was excited for the huge lineup of female characters, so I bought those characters new. The rest I got either used or on deep discount. FYE for example blew out their wave one Swap Force Skylanders for $2 each at the start of this year which helped fill my collection out cheaply.

I went too far with Trap Team and I shelled out for more new things than I typically would buy. 10 or so traps (which I still feel was a stupid gimmick but necessary to own in order to beat the game) as well as buying those 4 level unlocking sets (I just had to have a Legendary Deja Vu as well as the new elements). And the normal cast of female characters. In the end, I was glad that I did buy too much new for Trap Team as they seem pretty hard to get new let alone used. Demand seems higher and supply seems lower than normal for this year.

Honestly I won't be buying much new for SuperChargers as the whole vehicle thing doesn't really appeal to me. So I'll get me one new land, air and sea vehicle just to unlock gates and a Splat, Stealth Elf, Rollerbrawl and Stormblade. Anything else I can wait to get used and cheap for $3 or less though a garage sale or some killer Gamestop sale.

So yeah, it does save a lot of money buying used, especially if you're patient and don't care about owning the cards or having little dings to the figures. My army is already over 150 characters and I'll never use them all again, so why pay new prices for characters you really don't care all that much about, right?
---
Stay Cool!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#4 Posted: 17:44:58 29/06/2015
Some of my Skylanders might be used,but I have no idea since I get them loose and in mint condition. Only one I'm sure is used is the Ghost Roaster that's getting here from the mail, since the seller mentioned asking his son about the card to send it as well.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
jesse217 Blue Sparx Gems: 696
#5 Posted: 17:46:17 29/06/2015
Coming from Canada too, those ebgames used figures really saved me money, got most of my trap masters used and midnight museum used too.

Was able to find sunburn and dar spyro S1 for 2$ each used last night.

Just got into skylanders last september when i found a starter pack for ssa and giant for 10$ each, just got Trap team in march for 15$ new at target before they closed down, and a few figures for cheap too.

Just started Swap force, just got trap shadow and enchanted hoot loop at Ebgames for 5$ each last night, really loving, them.

Never going to buy figures or games new/ regular price, they need to have a sale or something, not in any hurry to get games anymore, will be waiting for superchargers to be cheap before I get it.
---
Currently playing:
Resident evil Revelations, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#6 Posted: 18:10:48 29/06/2015
Quote: Cyzyk
(got Giants first since I didn't want to haul out an old console for SSA)

As Giants hasn't been made available on newer consoles (PS4 / XBox One), you shouldn't need to haul out any old console to play SSA. Based on how you phrased that, I'm guessing that you probably have a Wii U. If I'm correct, you can purchase the Wii version of SSA and it should play just fine in a Wii U. If I'm wrong...what on earth are you playing on that you can (or believe you can) play Giants but not SSA on the same system?

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Cyzyk Red Sparx Gems: 22
#7 Posted: 18:41:20 29/06/2015
Quote: darkchylde28
(got Giants first since I didn't want to haul out an old console for SSA)

As Giants hasn't been made available on newer consoles (PS4 / XBox One), you shouldn't need to haul out any old console to play SSA. Based on how you phrased that, I'm guessing that you probably have a Wii U. If I'm correct, you can purchase the Wii version of SSA and it should play just fine in a Wii U. If I'm wrong...what on earth are you playing on that you can (or believe you can) play Giants but not SSA on the same system?

-Doug

I'm playing on a Wii U. The only locally available copy of SSA was for the PS3, with the PS4 being not backward compatible. Enjoying Giants as much as I am, I'm sure I'll grab a copy of SSA for the Wii or Xbox off Amazon at some point.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#8 Posted: 19:26:43 29/06/2015
Nothing wrong with buying preowned . I have bought quite a few used figures myself .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#9 Posted: 19:43:54 29/06/2015
I'm playing on a Wii U. The only locally available copy of SSA was for the PS3, with the PS4 being not backward compatible. Enjoying Giants as much as I am, I'm sure I'll grab a copy of SSA for the Wii or Xbox off Amazon at some point.

You should be able to pick it up disc only for very cheap and don't actually need to buy the full starter unless you specifically want the original 3 starter figures and can't track them down used separately (and cheaper). Giants was a fun game, but I'm still partial to SSA in regard to which game was the most overall fun. Make sure you play it before you pick up Swap Force or Trap Team, otherwise you might never finish it after having experienced the jump mechanic that SSA and Giants lacked!

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#10 Posted: 20:21:05 29/06/2015
only issue i have with pre-owned is the stickers and stat card, i want them too and alot of pre-owns dont have them.
#11 Posted: 20:30:13 29/06/2015
Quote: Alphawolf
only issue i have with pre-owned is the stickers and stat card, i want them too and alot of pre-owns dont have them.

While the cards wouldn't be, the sticker"s" definitely would be with the original SSA starter figures since there weren't individual stickers for Spyro, Gill Grunt & Trigger Happy--they were all part of the same sheet. I've meant for years to scan a regular sticker and the group sheet and cobble together individual "stickers" for each of those figures so that I could fill those gaps in my card/sticker/code binders, but alas, I've either never had the time or been far too lazy to do so when I did.

I know that someone created mock ups of cards and stickers for the sidekicks and Volcanic Vault back in the day. Did anybody reading this create anything for the original starter figures, or recall seeing any that were produced?

-Doug
---
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#12 Posted: 23:24:20 29/06/2015
I only buy new personally.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#13 Posted: 23:57:32 29/06/2015
I bought used when originally starting at around giants release, as several characters just couldn't be found in stores at that point. Now ideas, I buy new, except for one I'm looking for cheap figures to paint.
Jimmy40741 Blue Sparx Gems: 732
#14 Posted: 17:38:13 01/07/2015
I only started with skylanders last fall and almost all my spyro and giants figures are used. You can get some of the more popular ones from ebay for as low as .99 shipped. And sometimes you can get some of the more rare ones fairly cheap if you catch an auction that no one bids it up on. I've also gotten quite a few from gamestop also, when they are running their sales you can get some pretty cheap. This evening I will be picking up from gamestop the last one I need to complete my collection of main characters (no counting legendary, lightcore, etc) .
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:19:15 01/07/2015 by Jimmy40741
#15 Posted: 20:00:18 01/07/2015
Quote: Jimmy40741
I only started with skylanders last fall and almost all my spyro and giants figures are used. You can get some of the more popular ones from ebay for as low as .99 shipped. And sometimes you can get some of the more rare ones fairly cheap if you catch an auction that no one bids it up on. I've also gotten quite a few from gamestop also, when they are running their sales you can get some pretty cheap. This evening I will be picking up from gamestop the last one I need to complete my collection of main characters (no counting legendary, lightcore, etc) .

While I applaud your enthusiasm for low, low pricing, I'm going to have to object to and request examples of Skylanders characters that sell more frequently than a blue moon for $0.99 with no shipping charge. Having helped out with Extra Life and various giveaways in the past, I know that any Skylanders character, packaged or loose, will cost more than $0.99 just to ship as both postage and packaging should be more than that--each. While you might have witnessed an auction or two where someone started a couple of figures at $0.99 with free shipping that essentially didn't sell (1 bid for the starting price which causes the seller to take a loss is equivalent to "didn't sell" in my opinion), it's hardly what anyone should expect. You could spend $1 on a lottery ticket and come out with $5, $10, $50, even $50,000,000...but you shouldn't set that as the expectation, as those circumstances are the exception to the dozens, hundreds and thousands of other people who try to have a similar experience but strike out.

-Doug
---
#16 Posted: 23:14:59 01/07/2015
Sometimes I wish there were a website or something with stockpiles of 99 cent Skylanders with fair shipping. Where I can pick like the 10 I need, get charged $6 priority mail and end up paying only $16 to fill out my collection. Amazon isn't like that as they charge $4 a pop for shipping even from the same seller, so those same ten 99 cent figures would cost me $50. Ebay can be just as bad as sellers who does combine shipping wouldn't be selling any Skylanders for 99 cents due to high fees they have to pay ebay/paypal.

It's sort of painful seeing how cheap Skylanders can go when you do want them...for example I checked ebay last night and saw these large buy it now Skylanders lots with figures averaging out at $3 or less each. I needed several from several lots, but it wasn't worth paying $50 to get the 8 figures that I need from a certain lot. But at the same time, those same figures would cost me over $8 a pop if I tried to get them one by one and most of them were variants that I wouldn't find easily from garage sales. So I'm better off buying a collection and taking what I want and flipping the rest off, hoping I end up paying $3 a pop for what I had wanted.
---
Stay Cool!
jesse217 Blue Sparx Gems: 696
#17 Posted: 23:18:06 01/07/2015
Quote: darkchylde28
Quote: Jimmy40741

While I applaud your enthusiasm for low, low pricing, I'm going to have to object to and request examples of Skylanders characters that sell more frequently than a blue moon for $0.99 with no shipping charge. Having helped out with Extra Life and various giveaways in the past, I know that any Skylanders character, packaged or loose, will cost more than $0.99 just to ship as both postage and packaging should be more than that--each. While you might have witnessed an auction or two where someone started a couple of figures at $0.99 with free shipping that essentially didn't sell (1 bid for the starting price which causes the seller to take a loss is equivalent to "didn't sell" in my opinion), it's hardly what anyone should expect. You could spend $1 on a lottery ticket and come out with $5, $10, $50, even $50,000,000...but you shouldn't set that as the expectation, as those circumstances are the exception to the dozens, hundreds and thousands of other people who try to have a similar experience but strike out.

-Doug

If you bid on auctions, which i do alot, i tend to win rare skylanders for cheap, i got dino rang for 1.22$ last month, shipping was free as i had bought multiple from same seller and won a few other auctions from him too, i ended up getting 15 skylanders, 2 of them were elites and 3 trap mastrers for 65$, Its all about looking in the right spot and bidding at the right time, always ask to combine the invoices and the price will drop.
---
Currently playing:
Resident evil Revelations, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
#18 Posted: 18:01:13 02/07/2015
Quote: jesse217
If you bid on auctions, which i do alot, i tend to win rare skylanders for cheap, i got dino rang for 1.22$ last month, shipping was free as i had bought multiple from same seller and won a few other auctions from him too, i ended up getting 15 skylanders, 2 of them were elites and 3 trap mastrers for 65$, Its all about looking in the right spot and bidding at the right time, always ask to combine the invoices and the price will drop.

Ahh, but combining shipping charges doesn't mean that you got free shipping. The way your original post was composed, it created an image of being able to get online and pick up $0.99 + free s/h Skylanders individually, whenever you could luck into the win. Your own scenario involved you spending $65 for multiple figures. A deal, I'm sure, but I'm willing to wager that the original auction probably had a shipping feel of $4-5 with a stipulation that additional auctions won could be combined for no additional fee. This is a great situation if you have the money to do it but bad if you've got little to spend and really could only deal with $1-2 per figure shipped.

-Doug
---
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#19 Posted: 22:33:50 02/07/2015
Quote: fairyland
Just two weeks ago at a garage sale I found about 30 or so various Skylanders figures for $1 each but I only needed 5 or so of them. Heck, I rescued one from a dumpster the other week as well, so I'm even getting them for free sometimes. LOL!

My history of buying Skylanders is mostly like this though. I bought complete collections of SSA and Giants used off ebay, as well as a set of eight Swappers to unlock the gates in order to complete that game. Instant collection right off the bat, I rarely bought anything band new back then.

With Swap Force, I was excited for the huge lineup of female characters, so I bought those characters new. The rest I got either used or on deep discount. FYE for example blew out their wave one Swap Force Skylanders for $2 each at the start of this year which helped fill my collection out cheaply.

I went too far with Trap Team and I shelled out for more new things than I typically would buy. 10 or so traps (which I still feel was a stupid gimmick but necessary to own in order to beat the game) as well as buying those 4 level unlocking sets (I just had to have a Legendary Deja Vu as well as the new elements). And the normal cast of female characters. In the end, I was glad that I did buy too much new for Trap Team as they seem pretty hard to get new let alone used. Demand seems higher and supply seems lower than normal for this year.

Honestly I won't be buying much new for SuperChargers as the whole vehicle thing doesn't really appeal to me. So I'll get me one new land, air and sea vehicle just to unlock gates and a Splat, Stealth Elf, Rollerbrawl and Stormblade. Anything else I can wait to get used and cheap for $3 or less though a garage sale or some killer Gamestop sale.

So yeah, it does save a lot of money buying used, especially if you're patient and don't care about owning the cards or having little dings to the figures. My army is already over 150 characters and I'll never use them all again, so why pay new prices for characters you really don't care all that much about, right?

which one is the question
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#20 Posted: 14:29:30 07/07/2015
If anyone has a Half Price Books in their area, the one near me has started to do something interesting. They haven't had much of a selection in the past, but they must be getting a bunch dumped on (I know I saw someone at the HPB across town selling his collection, including Ghost Roaster). The store near my house had grab bags for $15. Each had a certain amount of Skylanders (I thought it was 10, but that seems like a lot, especially for the size bag), but you didn't know what you got. It might be worth checking out for those who are just starting their collection. They had a few of them at my store. I'm sure they are cores, as the bags weren't that big, plus I saw lots of Swappers and Giants (including Dark edition swappers) near the register along with Ghost Roaster (which means they are probably smart enough to keep the harder to find ones out of the grab bags as well). I'm sure their sudden surplus could be a mixture of people dumping their collections and the fact that the used game store (which was a great place to get used Skylanders) that was in the same shopping center closed.
#21 Posted: 16:13:30 07/07/2015
Quote:
Heck, I rescued one from a dumpster the other week as well, so I'm even getting them for free sometimes. LOL!

Who did you rescue and any main reason he got tossed ?
---
#22 Posted: 18:48:35 07/07/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Quote:
Heck, I rescued one from a dumpster the other week as well, so I'm even getting them for free sometimes. LOL!

Who did you rescue and any main reason he got tossed?

She actually. The figure is the normal Star Strike. She was complete in her blister bubble but no card backing. The Swap Force characters packaging were horrible and would fall apart simply by touching them. I know that some stores will tape them back up, but others will cash in on their insurance policy for damage or they can get a vendor credit for defective merchandise.

Basically they end up tossing out a lot of good stuff this way. She was in a trash bag with two loose Infinity figures and 2 unused Skylanders cases. A bag next to it had 15 or so game guides, 6 T-shirts and loads of empty game cases. I think that day was their monthly discard day or something as I never got that lucky again since then. Stilll it felt good to save a Skylander from the landfill. She's not worth much, but she'll always give me memories of my excellent haul.
---
Stay Cool!
#23 Posted: 16:18:11 09/07/2015
Whoots i just got back from the pawn shop and rescued Dino Rang for 1.5 bucks while keeping an eye out for my lil brother . He hates spares . This Dinorang was fully played with and loved . Usually pre owned skylanders have about half their skills unlocked .

They also have a Drobot for another 1.5 and i am thinking naughty thoughts . Unlike Dino i technically dont have a Dro bro . They also have sunburn but he is 4.50 bucks . Actually they have a whole dragon peak set but sold separately .

Quote:
She was in a trash bag with two loose Infinity figures

I am glad you rescued perfectly good toys . What infinity,s did you rescue ?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:22:16 09/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#24 Posted: 17:09:27 09/07/2015 | Topic Creator
In case you haven't noticed, I got Boomer just a few days ago. I'm not really entirely surprised about it, seeing how I could see anything in the used skylanders section, mostly for the first two games, but still a good find.

In other words, I have 22 green bases (21 plus a custom spare). I started my collection in late April starting with the main trio, and 16 of them, which is exactly half of the SSA collection, were used from EB Games. The only new ones I got this year were from a three-pack at TRU. I couldn't find any used skylanders back then, so I went with this. I also got seven orange bases and two blue base variants. Yep, this is surely the way I'll shop for skylanders from now on. $3-$5 for a skylander that I almost never see new. Worth the money.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:10:02 09/07/2015 by LameLime
#25 Posted: 23:16:33 09/07/2015
I noticed your Boomer . So what green base skylanders are you missing ?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:50:40 10/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#26 Posted: 23:36:21 09/07/2015 | Topic Creator
- Chop Chop
- Ghost Roaster
- Terrafin
- Dino-Rang
- Prism Break
- Eruptor
- Wham-Shell
- Slam Bam
- Voodood
- Wrecking Ball
- Drill Sergeant

11 remaining. I also don't have a bonus level.
---
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#27 Posted: 02:39:34 10/07/2015
A week ago i went to oogie games and found a packaged (used) dark light crypt, came with all the items and ghost roaster for 10 bucks. Considering what he's going for I think its not a bad find and worth checking out that place for some deals time to time on figures.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
#28 Posted: 09:58:59 10/07/2015
Forget the $1.50 pre loved Drobot . I just bought a brand new Drobot in its package with card and code for 0.50 cents at Toys R Us . The bubble and back did split apart as it was popped in the bag but I was gonna do that anyway.

I doubt i will ever beat this record new or used .
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:14:40 10/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#29 Posted: 00:58:54 12/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I keep seeing people here getting special variants for more than the regular used price, like more than $15.

Weird, I might have picked up several used variants at the same regular price. I got Leg Night Shift, Dark Blast Zone, Pumpkin Eye Brawl, and I believe I didn't have to pay more. I also saw a Glow Cynder this week and might have remembered it being the same regular orange base price.
---
#30 Posted: 09:06:53 12/07/2015
My used L SPyro , L Bash and L Chop Chop were about two dollars 50 c each .
---
TheBladesFan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1485
#31 Posted: 21:21:44 12/07/2015
I spotted a used Knight Mare and Midnight Museum for £6.99 each. Quite good, but I asked for the dark pack for my birthday. I mostly buy new ones but if I missed any, I can find them used. I am considering buying some used traps with birthday money (if I get any).
---
bookloverlolly.tumblr.com
Skylander Count: SSA 52/54 SG 61/66 SSF ??/?? STT ??/?? SSC 51/65 SI 6/??
#32 Posted: 23:14:33 12/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I never found any used traps. The only STT figures I found where Food Fight and Snap Shot. No darks. I hope I can see them later in the year or next year. I'm seeing plenty of blue bases right now.
---
TheBladesFan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1485
#33 Posted: 06:52:09 13/07/2015
In the UK, we have quite a few STT used figures. In a store called CEX, I saw Potion Frenzy Pop Fizz, Nitro Krypt King, Blastermind, Tuff Luck, Ka-Boom and Echo. All except Echo and Blastermind were hard to find but Tuff Luck is starting to reappear new. I also saw Nitro Krypt King, Blades, Hand Of Fate, Piggy Bank and that Tiki item. And a box full of traps. The starter figures are also common.
---
bookloverlolly.tumblr.com
Skylander Count: SSA 52/54 SG 61/66 SSF ??/?? STT ??/?? SSC 51/65 SI 6/??
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#34 Posted: 20:34:52 13/07/2015
I think about half of my collection is used. I recently started playing Swap-Force again and I was missing Swappers with the Dig and Speed abilities. I found a used Grilla Drilla and Magna Charge for £3.99 each in GAME. I also got Night Shift for free in the offer.
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:36:45 13/07/2015 by Star Dragon
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me