Page 1 of 1
Overall thoughts on trap team
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#1 Posted: 09:44:48 17/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I felt the characters were "unfinished"
I was hoping for 6 villians for each element (minus l&d)
Tech undead and earth didn't get reposes
That sort of annoyed me a bit
Also no pvp was bad

Good things.
It was fun
Characters were buffed and became powerful
Trapping mechanic was awesome
Trap master only gates brought back the feeling of when I first got Skylanders and only had 3 elements
Love dark snap shot

What about you?
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#2 Posted: 09:52:38 17/06/2015
Strangest portal ever . Looks like a Bathtub .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 10:02:14 17/06/2015
Definitely the best game so far, for me.

I loved EVERYTHING about it.

The characters were crazy and creative and I found a lot of new favorites among them.
The level design was awesome and each chapter truly felt unique.
They introduced two new Elements (the only one that were missing I guess) with fantastic Skylanders.
Defeating and trapping enemies and bosses was super fun, and the tag team element added a light strategic twist to the gameplay.
Old NPC's are back in the best hub to date.
They even managed to vary the gameplay enough, with vehicle sections, turrets, Skystones and Villain Quests, which never felt frustrating.

Only downsides to me are the lack of Heroics/Bonus Missions, an increased level cap and Quests which I loved in SWAP Force, and the Traptanium Elemental Gates weren't a good idea (would have been if they came along with Regular Gates).
I didn't missed PvP but it was still a fun feature.

9/10, no doubt.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4 Posted: 10:50:54 17/06/2015
Solid entry, plot welcome after what SF tried to change on the series, but faaar to unpolished to forgive some of the faults. Still not as good as Giants,but I had fun nonetheless(and would've had more if I started the game on Medium instead of Hard expecting an experience like in Giants)
Portal is the best looking,but could've had some tweaks. The ring had the known reading issues, and could've had just as many nice details as the base.
Hub is the best in the series. Even lacking a ton of stuff that it's supposed to have, it's still really pretty and organized - thank Eon for teleporters.
Levels are AWESOME,even better than Giants' in theme and aesthesics. Music follows except for some remixes.
Some of the new NPCs are just as frustrating to hear as some of the SF ones(please never give Headwick another game, I'll accept all of T-Bone's puns over that guy's fake snark), but the villains were just amazing and enjoyable.
Gimmick was badly implemented,but the intention was clear and great. Just a little nerfing and no Traptanium Gates and we'd be golden.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:51:34 17/06/2015 by Bifrost
Archie Gold Sparx Gems: 2476
#5 Posted: 19:57:07 17/06/2015
The number of traps made for each element was badly thought through. Too many for some elements & not enough made for others.
---
SSA 37/37 SG 62/62 SSF 75/75 STT 72/72 Traps 57/60(+1 xtra light/dark) SSC 0!
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#6 Posted: 13:49:38 18/06/2015
My thoughts on Trap Team is not really positive.

I think the best part of this entry is they really nailed the new Skylanders. A lot of them are really a whole lot of fun to play.
But the game really lacks polish. Also it is the first Skylanders game to corrupt my save data out of nowhere. Now making me need to try to backup often.
The Traps and villains were poorly planned, there should have been 6 each element but in the end I don't really play as any of the villains as they aren't as fun as the real skylanders.
I did not care for Swap Force, despite what people said I always felt the levels in Swap Force were very short when most of the meat of the level was due to swap zones.
But the levels in Trap team have no meat at all to them and are done soon after they begin.
Swap force gave an excuse why the water elements couldn't swim anymore. Trap Team did not.
Skylanders adventures and Giants are still the two best entries and what I hope to see the series return to.

I still think TFB knows the series better then VV but I just hope their next entry is better.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#7 Posted: 15:25:26 18/06/2015
It's good, but it's a very low point in the series. By far the most obvious cash grab in the series.

Painfully repetitive with lock puzzles, push blocks, turrets, arena battles and sky stones. Not only that, they were painfully slow.

The fighting mechanics were back to Giants, but worse. I wanted SF's knock mechanics and physics.

The story didn't feel tense at all. It was repetitive as well. Get to a villain, ARENA BATTLE, villain gets away. That happened THREE TIMES.

Story scrolls were crap.

No way to upgrade stats unless you have a hat.

quests gone as well.

No bonus missions and extra modes.

TRAPTAINIUM ELEMENTAL GATES! What the hell Acti?

Now what I loved.

Villains, levels and characters. All great! But TM are basically Giants 2.0.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Scraps Red Sparx Gems: 52
#8 Posted: 21:20:33 18/06/2015
I love it, but I personally see it as a step down from Swap Force, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's just the little things that I'm not happy with about Trap Team. The shorter levels, really bad story scrolls, if I want to buy an upgrade, I have to do it one at a time, core characters have little use, no heroic challenges (in all fairness, there were none either in Swap Force) and no quests. I just feel a bit cheated on, really. I've spent a lot of money in this series, and not being able to use my originals for unlocking gates is just really disappointing. It's like there's nothing in it for those who've played the previous games. At least something like a higher level cap, heroic challenges and quests would make it a more engaging experience with each Skylander.

Having said that, I absolutely love the idea of the traps and I have had a lot of fun so far with Trap Team. I especially love the Kaos Doom Challenges and the Rumble Club. As well as the design of the Academy, if maybe being just a bit too big. I also really like the uniqueness to each level. Overall it's a great game. Just not the greatest, in my eyes.
Spyro7850 Gold Sparx Gems: 2656
#9 Posted: 16:31:56 19/06/2015
The game is much more balanced than other installments, which is weird, since PvP isn't in. They took a fighting game style to the balancing. Now, strong characters in past games are much weaker (Roller Brawl, Ninjini) while under-the-radar characters and insanely strong (Sonic Boom, Sprocket).

As for the rest of the game, I can't really put too much input in besides what has been already stated, but I will say that the Wii U port by Beenox needed to be tested more. Glitches and bugs everywhere, characters clipping through walls and areas in story mode, and once, I witnessed an entire Shrednaught enemy disappear out of thin air. As such, I can't distinguish what was intended by TfB or not, but ignoring the glitches, I'd say that it's a pretty good and fun game, but not nearly on the fun level of Swap Force or, especially, Giants.
---
#1 Roller Brawl fan
"Ness, you'll always be the best character in Smash."
-Brawl in the Family, Comic #599
#10 Posted: 18:16:55 19/06/2015
One entire Shrednaught, Spyro7850? I've seen 2 of the mutant ragdoll guys, a Grave Clobber and at least 3 Shield Shredders clip through the floor and die. All in Arena Challenges,too. Hex's skulls also like to disappear if you hit a bumper pad while casting.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 09:23:29 26/06/2015
It's fun but unpolished. The art direction is amazing, script is enjoyable and the villains are my favourite gimmick (it really is fun trying all of them and they add so much personality), though its game design and balancing could use work, the lore's sorta lacking and certain bosses are awful. I consider it to be a big drop after SF, but not bad by any stretch. At worst, it's boring to play but artistically stimulating.
More interesting level design would have gone a long way. The pacing in a lot of the levels is meh and most of them leave me unsatisfied because of how spread out the action is. I also missed Knock Mechanics and especially bonus modes (Doom Challenge is fun and the Arena Battles are fine, but the extras aren't really varied like SF's, nor do they have the same incentive to return and compete with your scores). There are a lot of other little things I like/dislike about TT, but I don't want to make this a long post.

After replaying it in January, I think Giants is the worst of the main games. The level design is terribly slow, most of it doesn't stand out artistically and the extras are lacking. It did have some neat ideas, but most of those were refined in future games. PVP is the biggest plus, but because I can only fight with my family and there's no online, I don't even do that.
It doesn't help that I see Giants 3DS as the worst game in the series, which doesn't directly impact the main version, but does make me view the Giants era more negatively.

SF > SA >> TT >> Giants
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:30:58 26/06/2015 by Arc of Archives
#12 Posted: 09:31:07 26/06/2015
I am so glad they made Minis available here where I live and I can play with them as normal Skylanders .
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#13 Posted: 15:09:55 26/06/2015
My biggest complaint is TfB is really bad at designing levels compatible for two players. Me and my sons pretty much exclusively play in two player mode, but that stupid leash is far too short in Trap Team (it seemed much better in Swap Force). They really need to do something like the Lego split screen when you get too far apart. I got so sick of when it couldn't decide who to teleport the other player to and ended up warping you back to the start of an area. Now I know why TfB didn't want to do jumping, they suck at making levels for it.

On the good side, I second the thought on the Minis. That was a great idea. It gave people new functionality for figures many already had. And it was a cool thing to give players a cheaper option for buying new figures. Trap Masters had some good designs, as did the cores - but the Trap Masters were too big for no reason other than to charge more for them. Puzzle locks were more fun since now they are two player and Skystones was quite a bit better now. Gameplay was overall good and fun, but that's not really something new to TT.
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#14 Posted: 23:32:32 29/06/2015
Spyro's Adventure... original, groundbreaking, fun

Giants... the pinnacle of Skylanders

Swap Force... jumped the shark

Trap Team... drowned the shark

Superchargers... aiming to kill dolphins with nets
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#15 Posted: 00:32:43 30/06/2015
The only negative though that I have for Trap Team is the amount of characters released ... too much!
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#16 Posted: 13:00:15 30/06/2015
^I second that thought! But there is some more to add!

Anyway, Trap Team was my favorite game, but if I had to rank them, it would be so:

STT > SG > SSF > SSA

I really loved Trap Team, and made me think of Giants when I played it, which was my favorite before it. Most of the boss fights were unique and challenging, even if some were not enjoyable (lookin' at you Dreamcatcher...), and the villain mechanic was pretty well implemented. It would have been nice if they had a sufficient number of villains to fit the Traps, but that wasn't so. At least I didn't decide to get them all.

I paly on the Wii U, and I don't suffer that many glitches, at least those I notice. The occasional Grave Clobber dying before it hits the ground in the last level of the Doom Challenge, the whole respawn glitches with two player, and Skylanders poking through walls. Honestly, they don't impact my gameplay whatsoever, so I don't care as long as I get an enjoyable experience. What I really miss though are Bonus Missions, the seperated challenges for the achievements (Time Attack, Score Mode), and the Arenas from Swap Force. They really made it easier to complete the level in a certain amount of time, which I appreciated, and the Score Mode was a fun way to attain a high score amongst your friends. The Bonus Missions and the Arenas were simply enjoyable and made it easier to make characters how you would like to have them.

Despite the extras I like from Swap Force, it ranks rather low as I enjoyed Giants and Trap Team a lot more, mainly through level design (I like the shorter levels, better than half-hour long ones that require a place to rest midway through!) and storytelling. Swap-Force was by far the worst of the series in Story, which is a thing I hold dear to games along with lore. Swap Force did terribly with that, and Trap Team did well, despite the 'Meditations on Boom!'. I probably would have appreciated them more if I could have been able to reread them!

Overall, Trap Team is nice, the characters reminisce to Giants, and sure, the extras are lacking, but Swap Force had more than enough to make up for it, I just wish that the Time Challenges, Score Mode, and the Arenas and Bonus Missions were there.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#17 Posted: 15:00:02 30/06/2015
Quote: Dark Snap Shot
I felt the characters were "unfinished"
I was hoping for 6 villians for each element (minus l&d)
What about you?

I agree with these statements here.

Trap Team was fun on the whole, levels were both just the right size and not necessarily anything awespiring either. Some of the battles were copy/paste of each other (for the lesser villains). 6.7/10.
jesse217 Blue Sparx Gems: 696
#18 Posted: 00:50:36 01/07/2015
Story wise really enjoyed it.

But what turned me off was having all those paywalls, why couldn't they have done like swap force and have regular elemental gates and traptanium gates, being told every 2 seconds that I need this trap master to open this gate really pissed me off, I usually keep playing skylanders after i beat it/ gained all trophies but this one made me want to not go through it again.

Kaos mode however is what made me keep coming back, just loved that mode.

Still would have enjoyed more minigames and bonus missions similar to swap force.
---
Currently playing:
Resident evil Revelations, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#19 Posted: 03:47:47 01/07/2015
Absolute pay wall of game cause at least the swappers were more innovative. Story was very good and the cores were amazing. I loved just about all of them. Overall, felt like Giants 2.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#20 Posted: 08:48:28 01/07/2015
Its hard to choose between playing with a villain and your skylander. I have played two levels and so far the game is tickling me to buy more traps instead of more Skylander cores or Trap Masters .
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:50:43 01/07/2015 by Dark fhoenix
hfdpro Blue Sparx Gems: 939
#21 Posted: 15:12:31 01/07/2015
i too just started playing this game last weekend. I believe I ran through the third level, that's what I usually do, then I go back and try to locate everything. The villains are great, I have enough traps that I can just switch between them, and being able to swap them out so quickly is fantastic. I have almost all the cores, and I do have all the trap masters. It is a little disappointing that some of the levels, when opening the trap gates, only give you a hat? No challenge, or goal to accomplish, just walk in and shake a box. If I knew that was the only thing I would be missing, I could have saved a few hundred dollars and not purchased the trap masters. Overall, I am having fun with the game, and that's what it is all about for me.
#22 Posted: 15:38:55 01/07/2015
^ Yes, you can definitely tell where they ran out of time, had a hat left to add, and someone says...."build a 10x20 area with some flowers and put the box up there". I personally won't accept this moving forward, and will be voting with my bucks on that front.
#23 Posted: 15:48:21 01/07/2015
Problem is that it might get both VV and TFB,because unlike design choices running out of time is universal. Really big bummer on some of TT's content too, since TFB had some really pretty gate areas with nice puzzles... With coins for rewards. Or the Turret Tower in the Academy which I will bring up every time. If you're trying new technology every game, you're risking having to cut things from the game itself if you take one week too long messing with the portal stuff.
---
Boomer05 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#24 Posted: 20:46:10 01/07/2015
Swap Force is WAY better than Trap Team. WHY WOULD THEY TAKE OUT PVP??? I nearly didn't even buy trap team because of no PVP. Superchargers better have battle mode. Trap Team was also very inconsistent with the Light and Dark elements, lack of reposes in 3 elements, no magic doom raiders, and different numbers of Villians in different elements. LIFE HAD 6 VILLIANS I think. MAGIC ONLY HAD 3 VILLIANS!! I also was hardly motivated to play story mode at all, or EVEN PLAY THE GAME!!! Thank GOD that Vicarious Visions is developing Superchargers. The good things about Trap Team were creative new skylanders, and buffed characters.
---
Kaos vs Bowser!! My life is complete.
Boomer05 Red Sparx Gems: 52
#25 Posted: 20:47:06 01/07/2015
Overall Trap Team had lots of potential, but was rushed and buggy.
---
Kaos vs Bowser!! My life is complete.
#26 Posted: 21:00:46 01/07/2015
A bunch of unorganized numbers isn't a valid reason to diss the game, that's just not being organized. There isn't a written ultimate rule that every element has to have the same amount of characters,villains, everything. Sure, it'd be NICE, but it's not exactly detracting from the quality of the game for not being there. It's definately not a dealbreaker compared to the quality of what the game has or has not.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:01:33 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#27 Posted: 21:44:50 01/07/2015
Quote: Bifrost
A bunch of unorganized numbers isn't a valid reason to diss the game, that's just not being organized. There isn't a written ultimate rule that every element has to have the same amount of characters,villains, everything. Sure, it'd be NICE, but it's not exactly detracting from the quality of the game for not being there. It's definately not a dealbreaker compared to the quality of what the game has or has not.

Actually, for those collecting stuff, it was almost a deal breaker as we're buying traps that had no villains in them and having to re buy molds of traps. I get where he's going, and I don't think it's very neighborly to dismiss qualities he thinks is important.

His point about PvP was totally ignored by you and is absolutely a spot on comment.
#28 Posted: 21:50:11 01/07/2015
I'm not mentioning on the aspect of collecting or anything, I meant not buying the game at all for something related to the lineup - kinda like not buying a single+multiplayer game on a console because you don't want to get an extra controller for local multiplayer. I didn't mention PVP because that is something on the game that is missing like any of the other minigames; and not really part of my point since that is spot on :U
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:50:57 01/07/2015 by Bifrost
#29 Posted: 01:12:00 02/07/2015
Just keep in mind collecting the figures is a huge part of this game's success. You're technically correct that it's not part of the game per se but people do "clump it all together" in terms of generalizing their overall satisfaction of the game. Let's just leave it at that.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me