Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Playable Edited Levels for the Classic Spyro Games
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Playable Edited Levels for the Classic Spyro Games
1jn14r Green Sparx Gems: 180
#51 Posted: 23:52:26 14/07/2015
That would actually be very very handy. It saves me from having to look in all of the memory to track changes. Although I wonder what his assembly language will be like. It will most probs be modified MIPS but we'll just have to wait. The problem I have is looking through 2mb worth of assembly to find stuff. Also as you know assembler is not a very descriptive language. If it was coded in a higher level language everything would have been cracked by now smilie . Looking forward for this!!!
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#52 Posted: 01:32:22 15/07/2015
It seems most of this stuff is texture-hacking, but...

Quote: iSO

Just looking at these previews makes me have hope for our first real fan game. Who knows? Maybe we'll get an original title with the same engine, kind of like what happened with Freedom Planet, having been developed in a Sonic fan-game engine.
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
CrystalFissure Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#53 Posted: 07:57:14 15/07/2015
I'd say we're getting close. Rubbberrabbbit2 on SpyroForum is playing around with things and has actually changed the textures in-game, as in what the code represents. Not like a texture hack, but he's actually changed the mapping. There are many errors within the first 3 Spyro games in terms of texture matching up, and so this could fix it; theoretically we could make the game better than what it originally was like. Here's an example of an error:
[User Posted Image]

As for those DessertMonkeyJK videos, they are amazing. If we could get that properly back into the game, it would be insane! But as of now, memory issues prevent that from happening. To be honest we're pretty much waiting for Kly_Men_COmpany to release all his tools / hacks. The guy knows what he's doing, no doubt.
#54 Posted: 22:21:03 18/07/2015
After messing around with no$psx I haven't got any further but I suspect that the 3d models in Spyro are a load of polygons and the animations contain vertex data to manipulate the polygons. I'm unable to test this theory, but I have a hunch that this is how the early Spyro series manipulates objects. Of course it's near impossible to find any 3d models or animations because everything is packed into one sub file of the WAD. If only I could get in contact with some Insomniac devs smilie . Also I think we should have one central place where we can all talk about Spyro. So me, Kly_Men_COmpany, CrystalFissure, Rubbberrabbbit2, ISo and whoever else wants to join can crack open Spyro and let the mods commence smilie
#55 Posted: 01:22:50 19/07/2015
Interesting. I'm glad you're exploring the files more as any insight helps.

As for a central place, yes this is all a little scattered. I actually created a new subverse on a site called Voat. It's basically a Reddit alternative. I do like the Spyro reddit and have made many posts there, but I'd like to start from the beginning (while still posting on Reddit) and have the focus more on the original Spyro games and hacking them. The other place doesn't have as much TLoS / Skylanders discussion but the Spyro subverse at Voat aims to be a bit more in-depth for the original games.

Here's the link: https://voat.co/v/Spyro/

Please, guys, post what you wish! Post your favourite Spyro links, pictures and videos. And if you have game development ideas, make a post. I'll start a thread soon that will get the ball rolling. I'll message Kly_Men_COmpany as well to get him. So iSO, 1jn14r, Radiance, madison-dwrd, sonicbrawler182, SuperSpyroFan, WFLD, Bifrost - come on down and contribute if you wish.

And I don't intend that place to take over this at all. I hope we all keep posting updates here. But for the more in-depth stuff that may not interest the posters here, as well as more frequent edits and specific threads, Voat seems like the way to go.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#56 Posted: 12:55:27 19/07/2015
This is easily the best thing to come out of this fandom in years. I love seeing these, even though they're just texture swaps (using existing textures, no less). Can't help but upvote these whenever I see them on /r/Spyro. XP

If we do get fully custom levels, it would be incredible, but nonetheless it makes these levels feel fresh and it's really interesting to see a bit of how the texturing tech works and how different textures look together. ^.^
#57 Posted: 20:58:59 19/07/2015
Voat seems to be currently invite only. New registrations are temporarily disabled. They got DDoSed a week ago. Looks like we'll just have to wait smilie
#58 Posted: 06:52:59 20/07/2015
Damn, I didn't think about that with Voat. So when it is back up, make an account! Should be good. I would use Reddit but some of the people over there may be getting tired of all the hacking posts. Even though pretty much nothing happened on the sub before I started posting those sorts of vids / discussions. Oh well. /r/Spyro still has some good content though.
#59 Posted: 08:03:56 28/07/2015
Some more interesting texture hacks, created by YFourteen. I've also got two new ones coming soon.

Go to his channel for a few more, including more Spyro hacks.

And now, I thought I'd share my newest creation, "Starfish Islands". May add another Starfish pattern here or there, but we'll see. Pics:

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:08:05 28/07/2015 by CrystalFissure
KrazyKariana Yellow Sparx Gems: 1145
#60 Posted: 19:15:03 31/07/2015 | Topic Creator

Best one this guy has done so far by a long shot. Amazingly.
---
Visit KrazyKari.deviantart.com for Spyro fan art, and SpyroStuffbyKrazyKari.Tumblr.com
#61 Posted: 07:30:25 02/08/2015
More! I promise I'll upload mine soon. For now:

DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#62 Posted: 17:44:10 03/08/2015
You do know you used the logo for the third game to represent the second game, right?
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
#63 Posted: 05:29:56 04/08/2015
That's not mine, that's Najvyexi's. I just told him though.
I've just released a new texture hack, by the way. Hope you all enjoy / download it.

Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#64 Posted: 18:45:46 04/08/2015
I actually love all of these so much it's great seeing all these levels in a new light (literally smilie) and seeing how much their atmosphere can change. There's some proper imaginative and creative designs like wow I'd never have thought of some of this. I'd like to make a few of my own not that I'd have a clue what level to do and what to do with it smilie
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
#65 Posted: 20:49:54 10/08/2015
These mods are so inspiring. You'd never think of some of the idea's people come up with. Keep up the good work guys!!! BTW Voat is up and running for new registrations.
#66 Posted: 05:59:21 16/08/2015
@SpyroBaby - It's definitely fun to try. Download SpyroEdit here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8uu.../SpyroEdit?dl=0 - Read the ReadMe file and just explore the program for fun.

@1jn14r - Thanks for the kind words! The more people working on them, the better.

----
And now here are two new texture hacks by two talented guys:

Love these.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:06:45 23/08/2015 by CrystalFissure
#67 Posted: 19:18:43 17/08/2015
I've downloaded it! smilie This should be very fun!
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
#68 Posted: 09:06:49 18/08/2015
Good stuff!

And damn, YFourteen took one of his videos down. Damn. Maybe he's fixing the audio issues.
#69 Posted: 13:45:57 18/08/2015
Aw did he? Which one did he take down?
---
#70 Posted: 06:09:25 23/08/2015
He took down the Evening Spring Home video, but he reuploaded it and so I edited it back!
#71 Posted: 01:41:16 29/08/2015
Some new texture hacks!

This one's by YFourteen:

And this is Starfish Islands, created by me:
#72 Posted: 17:31:50 30/08/2015
Oh wow Icy Dino Mines eh! I think the music suits the level a lot better when it looks like that, it's odd (cactus in the snow smilie) but cool at the same time!

Starfish Islands was perfection ok no flaws detected. Oh my days I just watched that and thought I wish this was a real level. I hate Crystal Islands normally but somehow I think it would be easier to play if it looked that cool. And I like that you picked Seashell Shore textures because in most versions that's the music that plays in the level. The crystals look stunning wow. Just well done that's probably my new favorite texture hack I've seen ever smilie (by the way, was that your music playing in the video? I say this every time I hear your music but it's amazing!)
---
#73 Posted: 02:58:26 31/08/2015
Glad you liked Starfish Islands! Definitely play the level when you can; I'm sure you'll have fun.

The music tracks weren't done by me this time; instead my favourite artist Soichi Terada produced these. First track is "Mt. Ambient vs. Spasm" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov5OkgHyAxk) and the second one is "Spain", but that's no longer uploaded on YouTube. I have both CD's. (http://www.discogs.com/Soichi-...release/2524398)

Speaking of music, I may as well link a new track I discovered yesterday which is fantastic and you all should listen to it: https://projectr.bandcamp.com/...ld-tundra-ver-1. Absolutely fantastic re-imagining of Winter Tundra.
#74 Posted: 16:07:34 31/08/2015
Oh wow that's actually really cool! I never thought I'd hear that track reimagined in that way but I really like it smilie
---
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#75 Posted: 21:40:39 15/09/2015
wow this is --- just wow! i love all of this! keep up the work- whoever retextures all of this! anyways here are some videos i found (did'nt make them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3haI14a6jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x99qe2N5_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIqr7sm1lA
some Spyro : Enter the Dragonfly textures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XO7_3YhEk
and a Spyro 2 texture
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:52:09 15/09/2015 by Bryman04
#76 Posted: 03:28:02 17/09/2015
All the texture hacks have been made by a few people. Me, YFourteen and Najvyexi are the primary contributors, but ChocoToken is working on something interesting too. By the way, you pretty much linked all the videos that are already here, but that's okay.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:28:44 17/09/2015 by CrystalFissure
#77 Posted: 20:47:28 17/09/2015
Quote: CrystalFissure
All the texture hacks have been made by a few people. Me, YFourteen and Najvyexi are the primary contributors, but ChocoToken is working on something interesting too. By the way, you pretty much linked all the videos that are already here, but that's okay.

Huh. I haven't watched all the videos here. sorry. I will when I get good internet, and edit what I've posted.
#78 Posted: 23:59:09 17/09/2015
Nah don't worry about editing it, but definitely check out all the videos. I have a playlist on my YouTube channel of all of mine.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#79 Posted: 04:10:31 18/09/2015
I'm curious: with the texture hacks being a thing now, does that sort of thing apply to character skins as well? I'm guessing these are totally unrelated ultimately, but I don't know a thing about game coding or texture mapping, so I'm asking the more knowledgeable. :)
#80 Posted: 23:59:49 19/09/2015
^ Unfortunately not. You can edit the skin in Spyro: EtD, but it's difficult because it's mapped in a crazy way. It's like a big title. It's pretty much only useful to use to change the colour instead.
#81 Posted: 13:04:10 10/02/2016
Finally made a new texture hack! This time it's Mystic Marsh at night! Midnight Marsh:

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:04:42 10/02/2016 by CrystalFissure
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#82 Posted: 22:57:31 16/02/2016
This probably belongs here smilie It's "Cliff Town at Night."
Of course, with Spyro 1 texture hacks, you can't play them, you can just edit them and view them in the Spyro World Viewer.

I love these day to night changes. I also like the snowy/icy versions of levels, too, which is why I'm excited for the next level CrystalFissure announced here, Snowy Beach.
---
You gotta believe!
#83 Posted: 01:57:02 28/02/2016
New new new! This time it's Snowy Beach. Enjoy everyone.

#84 Posted: 00:46:26 09/03/2016
Another World Viewer hack so not playable, but there's no other thread to talk about this stuff so here we go! Enjoy.

ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#85 Posted: 22:37:38 13/03/2016
Beautiful creations by obviously talented coders, but I have to ask, why? Are they disassembling the code to make their own games? If so, why not learn blender or unity and make it from scratch; it's more challenging but I still think there'd be more payoff for the effort than just changing the look. You could make other games than Spyro and I'm given to understand that PC code is easier to work with.. Is it easy to use the textures in-game with the SpyroEdit software or is it finicky?

EDIT: I am NOT a hacker/computer programmer so what I said about PC code being easier to work with is based solely on what I've heard in my lengthy web travels.

As I said though, GORGEOUS level redesigns. I'd like to play them and find the Easter eggs and small details not revealed by the videos.

Oh! With this tool and some talented voice acting and sound editing a person could make their own stories within the games! Use the texture changer to alter the text boxes and import your own spoken dialogue somehow, and you've got yourself a fully playable Spyro fan fiction!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:26:53 15/03/2016 by ClassicSpyroLUV
#86 Posted: 20:57:28 15/03/2016
Quote: ClassicSpyroLUV
Beautiful creations by obviously talented coders, but I have to ask, why? Are they disassembling the code to make their own games? If so, why not learn blender or unity and make it from scratch; it's more challenging but I still think there'd be more payoff for the effort than just changing the look.

Well, I think that some people are, but there are reasons to also hack textures. I think CrystalFissure put it best earlier in this topic:

Quote: CrystalFissure
To be honest I don't think it will ever happen where we'll be able to create custom levels. And I'm actually perfectly fine with that for the most part. I mean, modifying levels is really cool. Maybe being able to switch out enemies and stuff, as well as items would be great. But to be honest, barely anyone would actually be capable of creating a good new level.

BUT, that doesn't mean there isn't potential here for some amazing texture hacks and similar stuff. I actually prefer the idea of changing the mood of levels, replacing textures and making day levels night levels instead. It's easier to do and plays on the fact that we appreciate Insomniac's stuff so much we'd rather base work around that as opposed to trying to creating an entirely new level and it not working.

I agree with this completely- I think that customizing a level would be much more manageable and successful for most people.

Is it easy to use the textures in-game with the SpyroEdit software or is it finicky?

They say it is... though I haven't figured it out yet. To be fair, I haven't spent much time with it yet. I've changed a skybox (that was a cool experience smilie) but didn't figure out the whole texture thing.

With this tool and some talented voice acting and sound editing a person could make their own stories within the games! Use the texture changer to alter the text boxes and import your own spoken dialogue somehow, and you've got yourself a fully playable Spyro fan fiction!

This sounds awesome... I hope this happens someday!
---
You gotta believe!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:58:25 15/03/2016 by madison-dwrd
#87 Posted: 09:13:13 21/03/2016
The endgame is just to have fun making levels completely change. I love turning a "fire" level into an "ice" level, you know? We have people working on stuff to potentially extract the game onto PC which would allow for a lot more customisation. I personally have no interest in creating a whole new Spyro game as I can't code for crap. The graphical side though? Yes I can do this.

In the future it may actually be possible to edit the levels in more meaningful ways, or even create our own. I'd personally much prefer that over starting from scratch as I find Spyro's controls to be absolutely perfect. But yeah, for now it's just fun creating more texture hacks. Speaking of, we have two new ones!

This is my new one. Banjo-Kazooie Plains. I've taken textures from B-K and this is the result. It is playable in-game!

Here's Rettroix's new Spyro World Viewer texture hack; unfortunately it is not available in game. He's used textures from Sonic Colours.

#88 Posted: 00:45:00 22/03/2016
And another one! I accidentally scheduled this one a week earlier so yeah.. Enjoy!

#89 Posted: 04:40:08 30/03/2016
Three more texture hacks, this time done by AngelOfTheTriad!

#90 Posted: 22:18:17 17/04/2016
I was checking this page for the Banjo-Kazooie Spyro texture hack, browsed CrystalFissures youtube page, and thought this was interesting, uploaded 3 hours ago.
X-heketchis Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#91 Posted: 02:32:09 20/04/2016
Saw the "artisan wasteland" and thought two things.

1. That's kinda mad max.
2. Yes, more of that.
---
Never Leaving, Always Watching.
#92 Posted: 00:28:33 21/04/2016
I wonder if CrystalFissure could use Banjo-Dreamie textures in his next Spyro Banjo-Kazooie texture pack.
#93 Posted: 18:30:36 24/04/2016
I could be wrong but I don't think we've talked about the skybox editor on here yet and I think it belongs with the rest of this stuff. Anyway RubberRabbit has created a program that allows you to download skyboxes from in game and edit them, with the intention of putting brand new skyboxes in the game. I don't think this is available to download or anything yet, but anyway it's a cool project:

---
You gotta believe!
#94 Posted: 03:09:08 30/08/2016
New texture hacks! The first one is a new one from me:

YFourteen's Dark Icy Peak:

AngelOfTheTriad's Dino Plains:
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:09:54 30/08/2016 by CrystalFissure
KrazyKariana Yellow Sparx Gems: 1145
#95 Posted: 05:46:45 22/12/2017 | Topic Creator
Now I'm making Spyro Texture Hacks myself, woohoo!
---
Visit KrazyKari.deviantart.com for Spyro fan art, and SpyroStuffbyKrazyKari.Tumblr.com
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me