Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Frito lay fire bone hot dog figures [CLOSED]
Supercomputers Green Sparx Gems: 126
#1 Posted: 02:11:59 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
With less then 2000 of each color variation these guys are pretty rare if what I have read is correct.
I also read a rumor that over 1000 figs were not given out by frito and destroyed? Any truth to all that.
Trying to get into the collecting aspect of these with my son and the rare variants seem to be the way to go especially the non store released version. Depending on color the price seems to be 40-50 per fig not bad if the production numbers are correct. What are the board veterans thoughts on these and collecting rares in general. Seems like you can make some money collecting by buying these up at 40.00 each
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#2 Posted: 03:13:11 16/05/2015
So you're looking to a fan community for insight so you can scalp and possibly make some money? Go take some business courses and play the stock market. You're not going to get others to do your scalping research.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#3 Posted: 04:09:11 16/05/2015
"Seems like you can make some money" ...
---
bye
DragonShine Yellow Sparx Gems: 1539
#4 Posted: 04:20:29 16/05/2015
Why would we tell you how to take more money from us? :/
---
Still trying to recruit to my dragon army:S2 Bash, S2 Zap, Thorn Horn Camo, S1 Whirlwind,s1 Cynder
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#5 Posted: 05:07:05 16/05/2015
Dude they go for up to $100, especially the darker tinted figures that go for around $150! Those are factory errors and are pretty rare on the eBay market.
---
words. letters. filler.
#6 Posted: 14:24:42 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Really? Come one it's having fun with my son collecting and selling rare figures to buy more of the regular ones. The hunt of going to the stores every Saturday morning looking for them, and then buying some of the rares on eBay. Just like baseball card collecting. Learning value and creating value. For me it was baseball cards nowadays it's these guys. Has nothing to do with scalping, markets create themselves based on rarity. I think skylanders created a hit with these chase figures. I just wish you knew actual production numbers to get a better feel. Sorry if any of you got offended by my post.
As an investment these hot dog figures seem to hit a sweet spot with rarity and being a popular figure. Seems like a great investment
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#7 Posted: 14:36:37 16/05/2015
Quote: Supercomputers
Really? Come one it's having fun with my son collecting and selling rare figures to buy more of the regular ones. The hunt of going to the stores every Saturday morning looking for them, and then buying some of the rares on eBay. Just like baseball card collecting. Learning value and creating value. For me it was baseball cards nowadays it's these guys. Has nothing to do with scalping, markets create themselves based on rarity. I think skylanders created a hit with these chase figures. I just wish you knew actual production numbers to get a better feel. Sorry if any of you got offended by my post.
As an investment these hot dog figures seem to hit a sweet spot with rarity and being a popular figure. Seems like a great investment

Please we don't want this to turn into amiibo.
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
#8 Posted: 16:59:25 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
I think it already is and is great for the franchise and the game. This is exactly what activision wants and why they are creating the chase variants.

Do any board veterans have a rarity list and possible production numbers.

On the frito lay hot dog clear we know there are 1935 of each different clear color.

What about short cut, thunderbolt trap team clears. Based on current eBay pricing I would assume lower production numbers then hot dog
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#9 Posted: 17:03:21 16/05/2015
I don't think Activision has *ever* released any production numbers.

Where did you get the claim of 1935 on the Hot Dogs?
#10 Posted: 18:25:17 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
If you read the fine print they say the retail value of the total contest is 58,800.00

Take 9.99 per figure retail and brake it up across the colors it gives you about 1935 of each figure.
#11 Posted: 18:40:42 16/05/2015
That just means they gave a minimum of that many away.

It doesn't mean they didn't give more away, produce more of one color/less of another, give some to employees/etc. They could have another 20k of each color sitting in a warehouse in Australia to give away.
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#12 Posted: 19:37:06 16/05/2015
Here is the exact fine print:

[User Posted Image]
#13 Posted: 19:49:19 16/05/2015
Yup. But, again, nothing saying the colors were made in equal numbers, more wasn't given away, some weren't given to employees/families, or there isn't a stash of them being held for another contest later on.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#14 Posted: 20:29:13 16/05/2015
Quote: Skylanders fan

Please we don't want this to turn into amiibo.

Except Activision actually knows how to keep figures stocked, and Skylanders popularity is declining rn until the next game, so I don't see how this is turning into amiibo?
---
words. letters. filler.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#15 Posted: 21:29:32 16/05/2015
ok before this topic spirals out of control into a money and scalper hate fest ( can you feel the love?) ill give the info the original poster wanted.

http://skylanderscharacterlist...ylander-part-1/

this is a site with all the variants of all skylanders character from the first 3 games. it gives info about some of them but not all of them. some have production numbers as well but most do not, activision keeping it a secret im sure. but it gives some history about the figure, when it was produced, how rare they are and even gives ebay and amizon links to look up prices. for some of the older ones i think there prices have settled and that is the market standard. new ones like the clear thunderbolt and such are still to new and the market is volatile. given some time im sure there prices will go down.

i hope this helps you, its the closest thing i could find without doing a ton of digging. but im sure somewhere on the internet a person has a list of production numbers for all figures. but im like you, i want to collect these figures and i know the value of knowing the price of the figures, productions numbers and total value of your collection. ill never sell any of mine but its still important information to a true collector.
Txholdem1224 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1793
#16 Posted: 21:52:32 16/05/2015
Somebody on Ebay was selling a case of green clear FBHD. Not sure where they got it, but the side of the box looked similar to the typical box cores are shipped in, except the printing said it was the green ones. I'll see if I can find the photo of it.

While 5,856 were earmarked for the giveaway, not all of them were given out. Beyond that, some may have been produced for reasons other than the Frito-Lay giveaway.
#17 Posted: 22:38:20 16/05/2015
Quote: Alphawolf

Not a bad jumping-in point, but that site has some guesswork and some information that is questionable at best.
#18 Posted: 03:30:10 17/05/2015 | Topic Creator
I appreciate all the feedback it has been great. Just a side note, I negotiate marketing contracts for a living. There is no way a company like frito lay would do a joint promo like this and not have the figure be exclusive to them. That contract most likely is pretty specific. Now of coarse you could have a few hundred figures that were used for employees but I would doubt much more then that. Activision would never burn the bridge with a company like Pepsi. That being said I choose this figure because those are pretty low numbers for a clear exclusive figure that's priced at 40.00 compared to other skylanders.
I have been actively buying these guys and I think they have a huge upside come the release of the next series as more people jump in and want to collect. Skylanders footprint is pretty large, I see the next release being the biggest one yet.
#19 Posted: 04:16:17 17/05/2015
I appreciate all the feedback it has been great. Just a side note, I negotiate marketing contracts for a living. There is no way a company like frito lay would do a joint promo like this and not have the figure be exclusive to them.

The Frito-lay exclusive Side-kicks and High Five would like to have a word with you. ;)

Heven the language for the Hot Dog contest said they were exclusive through the end of the year.

Look, I don't know (or think) Activision made a crap ton extras of these that they plan on shipping out next week. I'm just asking where you got your numbers, because going by the contest info (and even then, guessing about the color distribution) just isn't an accurate way to go about it. It's simply lowballing the numbers to help increase the price.
#20 Posted: 04:23:25 17/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Not trying to low ball the numbers just going by what I see, what I see tells me there are less then 2,000 on each color. I think it will take a year or more to realize the full potential on these. I actually want the price to stay low for now as I buy more of these. I think these are a hidden gem compared to the other skylanders rares you see out there when you factor in assumed production numbers to eBay prices.
#21 Posted: 04:26:06 17/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Just based on the figure they choose and the packing I don't think you will ever see these released again. To many new characters to work with. Activision objective is to create value not destroy it. The collecting rarity factor is too big of an angle for them, I think you are going to see more of it as time goes on as it fuels the market.
#22 Posted: 04:41:01 17/05/2015
The collecting rarity factor is too big of an angle for them, I think you are going to see more of it as time goes on as it fuels the market.

You think?

In Trap Team, we only had three chase figures (the clear Trap Masters). I can't think of any other rare/chase/promo figures (there was the one trap that was used at all events). for Trap Team. Three, four if you count the trap.

For SWAP Force, we had the Translucent Green figures, the Fire Bone Hot Dogs, the three Metallic SWAPpers, two employee-exclusive figures, the Flocked Trigger Happy and the Metallic Dune Bug. 13 figures.

Giants: E3 Hot Dog, the employee Prism Break, three flocked, two stone, three purple-metallic, the metallic Chop-Chop, and the three glitter variants - 14 figures.

SSA: Three sliver, three gold, four clear, red Camo, three GitD, Metallic Cynder, pearl Hex, Metallic Spyro, the four clears, the flocked Stump Smash - 18 figures.

Seems like we're getting less with each game.

Seems like they're making less rare/chase/promo variants, not more.
CattyNoir Green Sparx Gems: 440
#23 Posted: 18:09:27 17/05/2015
^Halloween and Glow Fright Rider too
#24 Posted: 19:27:11 17/05/2015
Whoops. Forgot about the "Halloween" Fright Rider. Didn't count GitD Fright Rider, since he was one you could go into a store and buy (like GitD Cynder or GitD Sonic Boom).
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#25 Posted: 21:09:35 17/05/2015
I totally think you should get in on scalping of Skylanders with your son. How else is he going to learn how to lose lots of money by getting in on a scalping fad two years too late? Next you can scoop up some Beanie Babies and some Furbys?

From the very beginning people have recognized variants having value, therefore if I were a betting man I'd say a good 90+% of uncommon variants are new, in box and in good shape. For long term value to occur, things have to be rare and in demand. What makes them rare is when they aren't held onto and seen as valuable. How many long term Skylanders collectors do you think there are going to be? By the time everyone moves on, only the hardcore will care and they almost certainly will have things as common as Frito Lay Hot Dog. The only money to be made is in the short window in which a figure releases and when it becomes common, and even that isn't much anymore.

This is a fan site for fans of the games, not for scalpers or people trying to turn it into a business. At best, people tolerate and acknowledge scalping exists - but asking for help from the fans on how to make money off of the fans is in pretty poor taste. It wasn't all that well received when some long time users have tried it in the past and it certainly isn't welcome when some new guy shows up to try it.
#26 Posted: 02:31:08 18/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Actually it's a forum with an open opinion and nothing more.I have had great feedback in my thread and am thankful for it. We are also in the toys and merchandise section. If I recall correctly beanie babies and furbys made great money and it was a blast doing it. So was tickle me Elmo, and every console that has been released the last 18 years. Never knew a market getting created by supply and demand is deemed scalping, sad if you feel that way. Also a figure with less then 1900+ pieces made is far from common hence why they command 40+ each on eBay and in my determination will go higher.
Best part is I can afford to lose if I'm wrong, and we will have a blast doing it together which is priceless. Also the jokes on you if you feel skylanders is not a business, the model is genius and being duplicated everywhere, activision is cashing in.
Thanks to all who contributed something of value to my questions and not a worthless rant
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#27 Posted: 04:16:30 18/05/2015
It's a fan forum for Spyro games, not a buying or selling forum - that is specifically in the rules.

Yes, Beanie Babies made money, and so did Skylanders scalpers - two years ago, which is the point.

What you are talking about isn't just supply and demand, it is manipulation of the market. You have suppliers that make the product, retailers that deliver it to the shelves and buyers which are the demand. Scalpers add ZERO to the equation other than to drain the blood out of the others, you are neither creator nor are you consumer, just a vulture - so don't act like it is some noble cause you are doing in the name of capitalism.

That's great that you can "afford to lose it". I'd say that makes you sound like a bigger jerk. You are hoping to score profit off of the fans of this game and you don't even need the money. Super.

The whole 1,900 thing is just a guess on your part, it sounds more like you are trying to convince people how "valuable" they are. You wouldn't happen to be sitting on a pile of them right now and trying to juice up the auction price are you? Not my first rodeo, in fact your name just rung a bell for me that has been nagging me since you first posted. You are the guy that was trying to juice up resell value on your "stock" of PS4s/XB1s back when they released and got banned/deleted/run off on CAG for sockpuppetry, trolling and trying to juice prices. Had a bunch of other IDs as well. Didn't mention your "kid" or it being a "family togetherness" thing back then and flat out said you didn't care about video games, just the money you could make off them. Nope, you are just a scumbag scalper that just got caught in a lie.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/...6#entry11370974

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/...supercomputers/
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:30:25 18/05/2015 by defpally
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#28 Posted: 09:10:37 18/05/2015
Quote: defpally

The whole 1,900 thing is just a guess on your part, it sounds more like you are trying to convince people how "valuable" they are. You wouldn't happen to be sitting on a pile of them right now and trying to juice up the auction price are you? Not my first rodeo, in fact your name just rung a bell for me that has been nagging me since you first posted. You are the guy that was trying to juice up resell value on your "stock" of PS4s/XB1s back when they released and got banned/deleted/run off on CAG for sockpuppetry, trolling and trying to juice prices. Had a bunch of other IDs as well. Didn't mention your "kid" or it being a "family togetherness" thing back then and flat out said you didn't care about video games, just the money you could make off them. Nope, you are just a scumbag scalper that just got caught in a lie.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/...6#entry11370974

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/...supercomputers/

I think you're probably right. Sounds like he might be one of the people that cheated the hot dog contest in getting way more than they were supposed to. I know a lot of people tried to get them, but some people were cheating with the app and how they had it sent to numerous addresses.

That or he bought a lot of them cheaply and is expecting to make a "huge profit" it's just not going to happen anymore.

There's just not a market that much even for chase variants. You can put them at a high price but this isn't moving consoles when they are first released. Anyone trying to dip into a near 5 year old game looking to score money now missed that wagon about a few years ago.

Amiibos won't be profitable soon since Nintendo is replenishing all their stock of ones that sold out too quickly as well so that market of scalping is about to crash.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#29 Posted: 09:19:02 18/05/2015
can we get some moderation in here? its quickly becoming a pissing contest. who knew a guy asking for some advice would cause all this. as far as scalping is concerned, well... get over it, its has happened before it will happen again, people hating on other people is not going to stop it. plus the only thing being scalped are the rares, and well... there rares, that is the market of them. as far as i look at things this is all normal business and part of the collecting game.

anyways, can someone just close this topic before things get more out of control?
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me