Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
How do you earn gems? [CLOSED]
TJRedeemer Blue Sparx Gems: 596
#1 Posted: 19:07:23 07/05/2015 | Topic Creator
I've seen plenty of people here saying things like "I have a decent income of gems" and "There is no reason anyone should spend money in this game". What I'm wondering is how are people earning gems so quickly? I have almost every link tower (missing earth) and a trap master house, which makes me a few occasional gems, but surely there is a faster way. So for the people who have been playing the game for awhile, how are you getting gems so fast?
Kiwipackabacka Blue Sparx Gems: 502
#2 Posted: 19:32:52 07/05/2015
A basic list of items to get you gems are:

1. Buy companions that give gems for basic things like clearing chests, such as Capybara King, Softpaw, Hyde, Diggs and Captain White Claw.
2. Buy Skylander houses such as Legendary, Swap Force, Trap Master houses, plus the specific houses such as giants, mini's and alter Ego houses.
3. Use the Villains that will give you extra gems such as Luminous, Golden Queen, or mixtures such as Pain Yatta with Buzzer Beak.
4. Clear Kudos from friends islands, you can find Hyde plus get Gems instead of Kudos.
5. Level up your Skylanders.
6. Check back regularly to clear items.

When you are starting out, it is difficult, you may only be collecting about 10-20 gems a day but as you progress you can easily get over 100 gems per day, what got me rolling was using the wish stones to get the Legendary houses, once I had about 10 of these my gems started flowing and everything became much easier.

Lastly, thin about what you are spending you gems on, you don't want to waste your gems early on with community buildings or buying Skylanders, getting the right companions and gems producing houses is the way to go, once you are rolling in gems, then you can have more fun.

Oh, by the way, the sooner you are harvesting lots of gems, the sooner the game looses it addiction so don't stress about it, enjoy the chase.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#3 Posted: 20:41:10 07/05/2015
Quote:
So for the people who have been playing the game for awhile, how are you getting gems so fast?

You answered your own question . You need to play for awhile . Say like ............. everyday for more than a year . If you can log in multiple times daily even better . This is not a tactical game . Its a game of patience. With that in mind , set your own goals and buy what you like . If you dont have fun , you are not going to stick with it .

My first goal here was what my little brother wanted and that was companion Tessa . That was saving 90 percent of my gems for 6 months .....
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Woz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1343
#4 Posted: 08:59:19 08/05/2015
I guess I'm obligated to respond since I've posted both those comments recently. Here are some of the previously unwritten rules I play by.

1. Never ever use gems to buy skylanders. Before you're awash with gems or wishstones, you will be awash with gold. Gold will get you every skylander via spins except alts, and wishstones will get you all the alts.

2. Never use gems to buy housing of any kind.

3. Never buy anything with gems if it isn't ON SALE. With items discounted anything up to 75 per cent off, cashing in on a timely sale is critical.

4. Capybara King. A free gem for EVERY chest. Forever. Hands down the most valuable purchase you'll ever make.

5. Cape Girl. Chance to get a gem from a mob. In the months to come, you'll defeat many hundreds of mobs. That's dozens and dozens of gems. Forever.

6. Spend almost all your gems on shrines. They don't give gems, but they boost missions, sanctuaries, crops, pay for your alts, and pay for killer rule 7.

7. This is the killer rule which generates HEAPS of gems. Legendary houses. A house that you can buy without gems which you can pop a character in for PURE PROFIT - no energy required. Gold, energy, experience and GEMS - for free.

That's really it. With one legendary house, you'll be thinking, gee, this game is a bit easier than it was a week ago. With three houses, it'll be a lot easier. With 18 of them - the gems are pouring in and you're finally saving for expensive companions and alt houses and waiting for them to go on sale.

The difference between a player doing it tough and a player doing it ridiculously easy - the number of legendary houses and later on, alt houses.
#5 Posted: 10:15:34 08/05/2015
Oh i have a rule .

Make note of the Freebees

Sheep topiaries <free energy ,high decoration >

Premium community buildings <free kingdom xp >

Production buildings <free energy , XP and gems >

Shrines <wishstones , gold , bonus crop energy >

TrapMasters , Swopforce , Alts , Giants . <bonus gold >
---
BUGMom05 Blue Sparx Gems: 729
#6 Posted: 20:46:00 08/05/2015
no one mentioned the molekin market!

Diggs and his pretty gemhouse are not usually available for purchase. he's 2 or 3 thousand gems and then his house is 800 gold.

Once you have them, you get 25 gems a day (minimum) with a high payout every so often. He's hard to save for because you never know when he's coming and he costs so much that you can't just keep it laying around--we never could.

Look for big American Holidays (Thanksgiving, 4th of july) and long weekends to be special companion sales and good luck!
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#7 Posted: 21:29:10 08/05/2015
Diggs is a big game changer for gem income - if you can afford to keep him running and remember to check him everyday. In order to do that, you need either gold or energy to be basically unlimited. The best way to do that is Ol' Mac, which is a big game changer. So while he isn't directly a gem producer, he makes many other things much easier to do (Diggs in particular) and provides resources to do them. Once you aren't energy limited, you can run Sanctuaries full every time they are up (even with Ermit) and run adventures full time (which ups gold production and gets gems from leveling characters). The best thing to do is to plan your gem purchases around holidays, and make sure you go in with lots saved up, that's when things come back and we get some of the best deals.

Halls of Legends are great and all, but I've noticed a big dip in their gem output lately. Same with Sanctuaries. Like down to Scout/Bird house levels. The best gem producers are character houses and Dark/Dragon Houses (and at two hours that's even better), and next are Trap Master/Swap Force Houses. It may seem like you lay out a lot of gems up front, but when you have a bunch of those running, the gems come in fast.

The end game is to make all resources unbound, you have so much you never have to "save up". Typically kudos loses value first, followed by energy, then wishstones, then gold, and finally gems.

A high end kingdom with lots of special houses and companions, checked regularly (maybe every 4-6 hours) can produce 150 or so gems a day. Checked more often (like every hour or so while leveling a new character) can make upwards of 200. It take me about a week to hit 15 with a new character (just hit 15 with Enigma and Gourmet Gusto in the past day), and while doing that my gem income goes WAY up. I've made over 1,000 gems since Monday when Rocky Egg Roll's house and Gourmet Gusto's house went up for sale (now have over 300 more than I had before I bought them).

You can do this game without buying gems, but it takes patience. My kingdom is pretty old, this didn't happen overnight (although I did not take the most efficient path) - but I have never purchased gems. It does help when you have lots of Skylanders - I guess you could say I do spend money on the game, but it is not the primary reason we get the figures, of course.
#8 Posted: 00:46:11 09/05/2015
If you can afford to buy Diggs, you're well past the point of asking for gem advice.
#9 Posted: 16:00:08 09/05/2015
Quote:
you need either gold or energy to be basically unlimited. The best way to do that is Ol' Mac, which is a big game changer. So while he isn't directly a gem producer, he makes many other things much easier to do

I have limitless gold and energy without Ol Mac .
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#10 Posted: 18:12:13 09/05/2015
No love for Ruggles? Sure,everyone bought him the second he's unlocked and paid no mind,but he's pretty much the only way you can start bulding up a small gem stash with few Skylanders to get the rest of these companions in less than 3 months. Take note of the element of the day in the morning(even without Ermit), use as many gimmicklanders and alter egos in the sanctuary(and use even without the day bonus if you have them leveled up enough), and you can make quite a few gems compared to what you'll be initially getting from plants and quests.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#11 Posted: 16:40:48 10/05/2015
Who's Ruggles?
---
^This might be sarcasm.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#12 Posted: 16:45:25 10/05/2015
He's a companion that shows up by leveling up, he allows you to use up to three Skylanders on sanctuaries. While the first skylander always grants gold, the other two have a chance of granting gems,usually more than two, and quite a few wishstones.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#13 Posted: 03:43:32 11/05/2015
The difference between Ruggles/Sanctuaries and Legendary Houses is that the former must be paid for each time with a fair whack of energy. The latter is pure profit once purchased. That's why in my opinion legendary houses leave Ruggles in the dust, at least mid-to-early in the game when you're forced to make choices with limited resources. Ruggles is absolutely brilliant later on when gold and energy have become meaningless.

What would make absolutely killer companions are some of the villians. Chance to get gems from adventures forever? Chest from every mob? I'd pay handsomely for them!

Currently daydreaming about what it would be like to have multiple molekin markets...
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#14 Posted: 12:17:13 11/05/2015
Quote: Woz

Currently daydreaming about what it would be like to have multiple molekin markets...

I think that would make the game quite boring after a few days. When even gems become so plentiful as to be meaningless, it's hard for any quest to be interesting.
#15 Posted: 14:54:12 11/05/2015
You're absolutely right arkham. I've got a tad over 9000 gems set aside for a rainy day. Still waiting for it to rain though...
#16 Posted: 16:43:58 11/05/2015
Quote:
I've got a tad over 9000 gems set aside for a rainy day.

Spend that loot .
---
TJRedeemer Blue Sparx Gems: 596
#17 Posted: 17:40:46 11/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Woz
The difference between Ruggles/Sanctuaries and Legendary Houses is that the former must be paid for each time with a fair whack of energy. The latter is pure profit once purchased. That's why in my opinion legendary houses leave Ruggles in the dust, at least mid-to-early in the game when you're forced to make choices with limited resources. Ruggles is absolutely brilliant later on when gold and energy have become meaningless.

What would make absolutely killer companions are some of the villians. Chance to get gems from adventures forever? Chest from every mob? I'd pay handsomely for them!

My question about the legendary houses is don't they require a legendary skylander? To be brutally honest getting a legendary skylander, physically or digitally, may be more trouble than it's worth.
#18 Posted: 23:47:20 11/05/2015
Peeps trade toy codes all the time here . I dont think its that troublesome to get a legendary .
---
Hinaseh Green Sparx Gems: 259
#19 Posted: 03:11:32 12/05/2015
I would love to get Legendary Jet Vac and Legendary Slam Bam, any codes going for those would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me