Page 1 of 1
So, what WAS Darkest Hour going to be like? [CLOSED]
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#1 Posted: 18:15:50 18/04/2015 | Topic Creator
It would have been better then this game, I'll tell you hwat.

But seriously, what was planned?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 07:08:45 20/04/2015
We don't know, but we know that Spyro and Cynder were still going to be little dragons. And as seen in the post scene of TEN after the credits, Hunter would've looked different than what he was in Dawn of the Dragon.

Krome Studios were already working on DotD before Sierra/Activision switched game developers.

Edit -
Just noticed that there have been so many 'What if' topics on the Darkest Hour and EL's take on DotD on this board.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:12:34 20/04/2015 by Aura24
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#3 Posted: 11:39:23 20/04/2015
It happens when we have literally nothing else to talk about when it comes to DOTD. Why X plot hole?Why Malefor is such a mess? Why they screwed up free flight mechanics? Because EL wanted it. Those things weren't going to happen with Krome 100%.

But I remember some storyboards they had around, it wasn't specific if it was cut ANB or TEN content or really for next game but it showed Spyro and Sparx bickering a bit and then escaping an exploding mountain with Cynder,and all were kids. That's all that surfaced, as far as I know.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#4 Posted: 21:12:52 20/04/2015
Quote: Bifrost
It happens when we have literally nothing else to talk about when it comes to DOTD. Why X plot hole?Why Malefor is such a mess? Why they screwed up free flight mechanics? Because EL wanted it. Those things weren't going to happen with Krome 100%.

But I remember some storyboards they had around, it wasn't specific if it was cut ANB or TEN content or really for next game but it showed Spyro and Sparx bickering a bit and then escaping an exploding mountain with Cynder,and all were kids. That's all that surfaced, as far as I know.

That sounds interesting...

I'm guessing that video would be nowhere to find nowadays, though?...

---------

No one really knows, but we DO know that it would have been awesome, nothing like what we got. :/
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#5 Posted: 21:49:41 20/04/2015
Afraid not. The first and last time I saw that storyboard it was on the Spyroforum's news site(that 'can you feel the heat' one, at least I think it was linked to Spyroforum), which I don't think exists anymore.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#6 Posted: 23:19:35 20/04/2015
It turns out the folks working at Krome did a lot to improve the story of ANB and TEN and contributed a ton to the way characters acted. But all we ever got for sure was a bit of concept art and that's all we know.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#7 Posted: 01:27:52 21/04/2015
There was concept art of Spyro fighting Dark Spyro.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#8 Posted: 01:44:20 21/04/2015
^ Oh, I didn't see that one! I saw the concept piece of a crypt with a tiny Spyro and Cynder inside for size comparison. Does anyone have any of this old stuff saved, by chance?
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#9 Posted: 02:22:22 21/04/2015
Quote: Jackson117
There was concept art of Spyro fighting Dark Spyro.

That was a "Yellow Spyro", at least according to everyone who saw it..xP

I would also like to know if any old concept art that's saved, that'd be neat to see. ^.^

(Other then the concept art that you can easily find with a google search. )
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#10 Posted: 03:50:00 21/04/2015
That was EL's concept art for DotD unfortunately, not one of Krome's.

http://www.yannickcorboz.com/portfolio/spyro/
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:57:29 21/04/2015 by Aura24
#11 Posted: 11:31:13 21/04/2015
Too bad Jared Pullen was never allowed to post concept art for Darkest Hour, he was Krome's concept artist. Not only I said already a few times how I love his strange twisty style, he mentioned quite a few cut things from ANB during the 'From the Dragon's Vault' blog posts.
---
SPCR Red Sparx Gems: 95
#12 Posted: 03:35:44 27/05/2015
I hope they put a human in Darkest Hour. The human might teleport into Spyro's world. And then he might start helping them after he was found in a forest. And somewhere at the end, it might be time for the human to go back to his home.

Sorry for bumping this thread up.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:39:55 27/05/2015 by SPCR
#13 Posted: 11:02:06 27/05/2015
....You didn't even read the topic did you. It's a cancelled game.
---
#14 Posted: 16:56:43 01/02/2016
...Kind of a weird bump considering the note it ended on, but it's still on the first page and not too far down so I hope it's fine to use this thread still.

I was thinking yesterday; Jared Pullen answered questions from an overly excited fan last year about the LOS series back when it was with Krome, and didn't seem to hold anything back. Is it possible we could try asking him if he has any concept art left of Darkest Hour or at least how the story REALLY was going to end? We could just get a no, but I wonder if it's right to at least ask nicely.
---
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#15 Posted: 23:16:18 01/02/2016
Worth a shot, I think.

Last year or sometime I emailed Rebecca Kneubuhl (or however you spell it), who was one of the 2 composers for TLOS and she responded. Not that there was anything too interesting found (some of us were wondering what the words were from The Eternal Night title theme, but we didn't find out exactly what they were, it had been too long and that information was gone I guess) but the fact that she responded and was willing to answer my question even years after the game had come out was surprising.

Anyway I think it'd be neat if we could find out about what the original plan was for The Darkest Hour. I vote yes smilie
---
You gotta believe!
#16 Posted: 23:21:41 01/02/2016
Huh,considering the two composers parted ways(well at least their site got split in two different ones),thought that they wouldn't be able to talk much about their older projects,NDAs and whatnot.

...Well, I'm probably not the best with words. If we were to message Jared it'd be better someone that doesn't write in wall of text :U
---
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#17 Posted: 00:32:27 02/02/2016
Gah I'm not too much better. Not it smilie

Edit: but, I mean, I want this to happen. So, go for it. I believe in you smilie
---
You gotta believe!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:58:09 16/02/2016 by madison-dwrd
#18 Posted: 19:22:02 22/02/2016
Still too shy to send an e-mail to Jared ;-; it's like that with every artist I like, I'd probably close up even if it was someone chill like the TFB devs. Wish I had that DragonsOfIceandFire guy's courage,he's been getting quite a lot of stuff,unsed,unused,half used even from him. I'd be happy with just a 'we originally planned this and that, Darkest Hour was or wasn't the name', not even a need for concept art, but whenever I try to think of something I just get embarassed at myself.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:25:26 22/02/2016 by Bifrost
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#19 Posted: 09:34:34 20/03/2016
I've always wondered about this! I've always wanted to know what TDH would have been like!
Dudes, I can email Jared if you like! Whelp, I'm doing it anyway. ;P
Hope he'll answer! ^^
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#20 Posted: 12:29:28 20/03/2016
Quote: Bolt
I've always wondered about this! I've always wanted to know what TDH would have been like!
Dudes, I can email Jared if you like! Whelp, I'm doing it anyway. ;P
Hope he'll answer! smilie

Good luck :3 Well, from the sheer amount of answers and content he already shared, he's chill, it just depends on this sti being under NDA or not. But it's been 8 years, a bit too long to keep an unfinished game under wraps for someone so short-term like Activision.
---
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#21 Posted: 04:58:04 15/04/2016
I'd love to see what exactly was planned before the game was taken out of Krome's hands.

Seeing how Jared Pullen is on DeviantART now, I wonder if maybe, just maybe, he might post something related to this? Not sure how likely that is, but it'd be nice if he had anything he could share (even just answering questions would be great).

...Unfortunately I don't have the courage to ask him anything about it.

@Bolt I know it's been awhile since anyone posted in this topic, but good luck!
#22 Posted: 09:42:59 15/04/2016
Considering he isn't even started with his ANB stuff, I'll wait a little. Noticed most people don't really get his character analysis and think he's rambling but gotta respect a concept artist's craft. Once he's somewhere at TEN it'll probably be easier.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me