Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Is it just me? ...Or are the Paint Job's starting to SUCK!?!
Page 1 of 1
Is it just me? ...Or are the Paint Job's starting to SUCK!?! [CLOSED]
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#1 Posted: 03:28:44 15/04/2015 | Topic Creator
It's like every year the paint job's are getting worse an worse.
Here is Bat Spin...all of them on the peg hooks looked like this one...i just picked the one that had the straightest staff, most of them looked like bow's....was thinking "where's the arrow's?" ...they looked like a "D" not quit "C" If i had a smart phone i would have taken pic's of them...one would think they would make the hard stuff out of hard plastic...not soft PVC...but thats just me. smilie
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
After fixing her paint...
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

And Trail Blazer...his torch wasn't even painted...after all the work the sculpter did on it you think the proofer wouldn't let it go to production till it was painted properly?
[User Posted Image]
Also he was painted the wrong color...so i fixed that to.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#2 Posted: 03:59:10 15/04/2015
You can't sell 240 million toys without breaking a few paint jobs.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#3 Posted: 09:01:06 15/04/2015
Well there is lots of collectors who like funny paint jobs .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#4 Posted: 10:52:53 15/04/2015
Wow, that one is really bad. I always get the worse ones since brazilian stores only put those on the shelf and I can't really pick who I get on Ebay/local online selling place, but that's even worse than my Scarlet Ninjini with an adam's apple which needed crazy repaints to fix.
But TT figures seem to have a better paint job than usual, there are a few wrong spots there and there but it's nowhere near Giants figures which had splatters in all the obvious places and anyone could've seen it from the package. The errors they seem to get now are more common when it's the plastic, they always seem to get some bubbles in edges and wrists but it's hardly as obvious when they're sealed.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#5 Posted: 10:54:57 15/04/2015
My Bat Spin is pretty crapy looking too.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#6 Posted: 11:28:15 15/04/2015
Yes indeed, it seems like ALL of Wave 4 have craptacular paint jobs, especially Bat Spin and High Five, there are sooo many High Fives with black and/or red blotches on the eyes, and dont get me started on the Bat Spins. smilie
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#7 Posted: 12:41:50 15/04/2015
the paint job sure sucks.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#8 Posted: 12:55:03 15/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: TakeYourLemons
You can't sell 240 million toys without breaking a few paint jobs.

A few? ....theres a lot more then a few. when the entire lot hanging on the peg hooks have crapy paint job's thats not a good sign of quality management.

Yes Bifrost..and they all where painted that bad...i just picked her because her staff wasn't all curled up like all the others.

Yeah Portal__Master i had to touch up my High Five...finished his mouth...painted his claws white and pearlized yellow his eyes. Have taken some pic's, but can't see his pearlized yellow eyes in the pic's to well.
Here's one of them...Next to Emerald High Five before i painted him. smilie
[User Posted Image]
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#9 Posted: 14:07:27 15/04/2015
Feels like it's tied to the wave,then. Everyone except my Love Potion Pop Fizz is from wave 1 and they have at most deformations in their backs or joints, with really good paint. Which is really weird, since Wave 4 is the one people seemed to be looking the most foward to, they could only win with good quality there.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#10 Posted: 17:16:57 15/04/2015
Well Phoenix_Lord you took a really bad example to show off a crappy paintjob since almost all the Bat Spins I saw had smaller or bigger errors.
Nothing too serious but really, I think she was the overall worst Trap Team character in terms of figure.

Your High Five and Trail Blazer were perfectly fine however.
One thing are "bad paintjobs" another is repainting a figure because you don't like how it was done the first time.

I can absolutely understand it with a BIG mistakes like Trail Blazer but remember that no Skylander's figure is exactly identical to its in-game model. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:05:01 16/04/2015 by Drek95
Hot Dog 542 Gold Sparx Gems: 2872
#11 Posted: 18:46:14 15/04/2015
This is why I always prefer going to a store and choosing the Skylanders with the good paint jobs, rather than ordering off eBay or something. Whenever I order Skylander figures online, I worry that it will have a bad paint job. I have been pretty lucky with the paint on some of my online orders.
---
Quote: Bimle
Why is it that so many people have hardons for dogs?
SkyScratch Blue Sparx Gems: 550
#12 Posted: 19:44:47 15/04/2015
All of mine have decent paint jobs, I go to the store and spend time looking over each one to pick out which one looks the best to me, takes a while, but I also like to find serious paint mistakes.
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#13 Posted: 05:13:19 16/04/2015
Quote: SkyScratch
All of mine have decent paint jobs, I go to the store and spend time looking over each one to pick out which one looks the best to me, takes a while, but I also like to find serious paint mistakes.

One time I saw a Terrafin with just one pupil painted... custom pirate patch anyone? But seriously, Its hard to not look for the best paint jobs once you get a few flawless ones. I'm the guy that brings a couple returns in and says, "I don't want these cause I found a better one." The only question for me is, should I open it yet?
#14 Posted: 06:45:12 16/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95
Well Phoenix_Lord you took a really bad example to show off a crappy paintjob since almost all the Bat Spins I saw had smaller or bigger errors.
Nothing too serious but really, ai think she was the overdose worse Trap Team character in terms of figure.

One thing are "bad paintjobs" another is repainting a figure because you don't like how it was done the first time.

I can absolutely understand it with a BIG mistakes like Trail Blazer but remember that no Skylander's figure is exactly identical to its in-game model. smilie

On High Five and Trail Blazer i didn't say they where bad paint jobs...i said they wern't finished. And yeah, they don't exactly match the in-game model...but i was going with the official releases they have out of all the figure's. You can google search them also you can see them on your poster that came with the starter set. Trail Blazer's torch and High Five's mouth is fully painted...even High Five's claws are painted...altho there yellow not white like they are in the game...hence why i painted mine white not yellow. smilie Thats what i go on...not how it was done the first time. smilie
---
#15 Posted: 09:17:36 16/04/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
Nothing too serious but really, ai think she was the overdose worse Trap Team character in terms of figure.

On High Five and Trail Blazer i didn't say they where bad paint jobs...i said they wern't finished. And yeah, they don't exactly match the in-game model...but i was going with the official releases they have out of all the figure's. You can google search them also you can see them on your poster that came with the starter set. Trail Blazer's torch and High Five's mouth is fully painted...even High Five's claws are painted...altho there yellow not white like they are in the game...hence why i painted mine white not yellow. smilie Thats what i go on...not how it was done the first time. smilie

Sure they look more detailed on the poster, since they are CG models.
The actual figures don't always match prototypes/CGI.
Look at Echo if you want other examples.

HOWEVER they did make some BIG mistakes with Trail Blazer being the most prominent.
I can be "ok" with the unpainted torch but why is the armor golden when it's black/metallic everywhere...?

Anyway great work with the details on him, Bat Spin and High Five!
They really look much better (love the pearlized yellow on High Five's goggles); wish I could be a bit better with paint. The only repaint I did so far was on my Déjà Vu, whose hands were plain blue.
My OCD couldn't stand it. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#16 Posted: 17:37:29 16/04/2015
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Gearshift's major "color shift"... When the game first came out, I was really looking forward to a silver and gold robot character. And there it was, white and bronze. Um... no.
#17 Posted: 18:30:05 16/04/2015
Quote: 4inCreation
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of Gearshift's major "color shift"... When the game first came out, I was really looking forward to a silver and gold robot character. And there it was, white and bronze. Um... no.

I don't have her yet... Was the change so drastic...? :/
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#18 Posted: 02:29:43 17/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: 4inCreation

I don't have her yet... Was the change so drastic...? :/

I know this is the CGI pic...but there are no silver figures..lol. smilie I might get another one and paint her Silver an Gold like the CGI rendering....think a figure painted Silver & Gold would look cool.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

The Pearled White looks good...but the Silver would have looked better.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
The in-game Silver an White(went to that spot they went to with the Silver Gearshift...cept my camera angle is different then the demo they played...lol)differences don't look that different in play...well to me they don't.

Might change the last pic for one of her fighting at the spot in the demo with the Silver & Gold Gearshift above....unless someone out there beets me to it...lol. smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:32:37 17/04/2015 by Phoenix_Lord
#19 Posted: 07:54:19 17/04/2015
Well she doesn't look that different to me.

And I'm kinda happy they decided to go with a more bronze tint otherwise she would have looked too similar to Spotlight's color pattern.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:30:45 20/04/2015 by Drek95
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#20 Posted: 20:18:16 19/04/2015
These paint jobs make them look more like Mcdonalds toys than Skylanders to me.
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#21 Posted: 21:57:53 19/04/2015
idk how much does it sold. But Disney Infinity are way more well painted than Skylanders. And so are Amiibos. And just wait for Lego Dimensions. I think Activision is just lame.
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#22 Posted: 22:17:10 19/04/2015
Quote: LloydDXZX
idk how much does it sold. But Disney Infinity are way more well painted than Skylanders. And so are Amiibos. And just wait for Lego Dimensions. I think Activision is just lame.

So, the flat yellow and boring red Iron Man is of higher quality than any of the currently available Skylander? No. Disney Infinity's figures may have few defects, but that's because their color pallet is extremely limited. No metallic colors and very few clear plastics are used. They're very displeasing to the eye.

Amiibos are well painted, but there have been dozens of noticeable defects. Even some of them (Villager, Marth, etc) are incredibly inaccurate when compared to the details in their artwork.

Skylanders has always had the highest quality toys out of the whole "Toys To Life" category of collectibles.

Oh, and LEGO? They can't even be compared to any of these, since the details of LEGOs are basically printed on.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:19:14 19/04/2015 by Matteomax
#23 Posted: 23:21:38 19/04/2015
Quote: Matteomax
Quote: LloydDXZX

So, the flat yellow and boring red Iron Man is of higher quality than any of the currently available Skylander? No. Disney Infinity's figures may have few defects, but that's because their color pallet is extremely limited. No metallic colors and very few clear plastics are used. They're very displeasing to the eye.

Amiibos are well painted, but there have been dozens of noticeable defects. Even some of them (Villager, Marth, etc) are incredibly inaccurate when compared to the details in their artwork.

Skylanders has always had the highest quality toys out of the whole "Toys To Life" category of collectibles.

Oh, and LEGO? They can't even be compared to any of these, since the details of LEGOs are basically printed on.

Thanks.
I am amused by the lack of objectivity in this tread.

Amiibos even have clear parts to substain figures.
That would seriously disturb me.
Make less dynamic or unstable poses, but do not use horrible substains.

I could ironically agree that some recent paintjobs are so "bad" they could be compared to Happy Meal's toys.
Sadly, I don't see irony in those kind of comments.
Not a single bit.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#24 Posted: 06:56:11 20/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Agreed Matt....although the Infinity figures are painted well ...like Matt said...they are very bland, none of them are glossy...none of them have any metallic paints...or muchless even silver or gold. there all painted with pastel colors. Ironman's armor was not done with flat red an flat yellow...and many of the sculpts arn't that good....there just painted well ...with flat paint.

Yeah some of the Amiibo's look ok to good....but i'll still pass thank you. Also like Drek said...many of the figures are supported with these clear sticks/toothpicks. Ohhh ....lets all watch and see what breaks first. smilie
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#25 Posted: 16:46:14 20/04/2015
Amiibo have supporting structures because they were a fairly last minute addition and they chose to use the models/poses from the characters in the game rather than design more figure friendly poses. None of the newer ones made that are not the Smash series have these, the Super Mario Series all have poses that are more appropriate for figures. The paint jobs are great, though - if you like "shiny", Samus is fantastic.

Infinity are of course, less finely detailed, but that is not where the quality exceeds Skylanders. The figures are significantly more sturdy (although Violet and Mrs. Incredible aren't the best since they have very small appendages) and use a chosen "toy" theme - not a highly detailed "realistic" theme. The details they have do tend to be a lot more consistent in quality, though.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me