Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Do you have an interesting display? [CLOSED]
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#1 Posted: 07:55:59 06/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Good evening, Dark Spyro forum users!

I have a large collection of loose Skylanders and I really want to have them out on display so they can be fully appreciated instead of tucked away in a storage bin as they are currently. The problem here is I am very indecisive! I've been going back and forth for days now trying to decide what format would be best.

Should I go by Element groupings?
Should I go by game groupings(Generations)?
Should I even organize them and instead leave them in an unorganized, but straightened, cluster on my shelf?
What sort of piece should I display them on?

I've honestly been playing with the idea of the Ikea pictures ledges or the Azar acrylic displays I've seen several people use for amiibos.

I'd love to hear your opinions, and more importantly, I'd love to see some of your displays for loose figures!
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
ImDoubleTrouble Gold Sparx Gems: 2435
#2 Posted: 11:20:11 06/04/2015
I've got mine on a multi layer table, grouping them by game and element, each game goes in the same order of elements. I'll try posting pictures in a few days (laptop is currently broken) to show you. I am however also considering a change as I do not have anymore room after this years game for the next game's lot of figures.

EDIT - Sorry for any spelling and grammar mistakes as I'm using my ps4
---
smilie Ooga BOO! smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:43:37 06/04/2015 by ImDoubleTrouble
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#3 Posted: 14:25:57 06/04/2015
I used to lump them in by element, later to exclude holiday/in game variants apart from the legendary and other variants. I only have one display case so current year's landers is all I display. I'm not going to have a museum of cases for my plastic figures.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#4 Posted: 15:18:06 06/04/2015
I personally have 4 shelves that I display them on. I them group them in a column by element and in rows by figure type.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
DAWNOFWAR Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#5 Posted: 15:37:26 06/04/2015
The main thing I can say...don't make anything permanent... Stuff always changing in skylanders...like red camo and clear whirlwind... I keep mine on homemade self's with Velcro on backs of card holders...so I can rearrange if they add something. https://youtu.be/R5cOi92UuNU
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#6 Posted: 16:41:32 06/04/2015
All of mine are grouped per game...all lined up via Element...on tables an shelfs around my living room.
Here is my SSA pic...need to take some new pic's of my collection...haven't in a over 2 years...lol smilie
[User Posted Image]
Also have L Trigger Happy...he's not in the pic beacuse i was adding to his guns....making them look like they do in the game. smilie
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#7 Posted: 19:44:27 06/04/2015
My kids store their figures in bins but I have all the variants on shelves. I have them organized by game, element, name. I'm running out of room since I have Disney Infinity 2.0 and some Amiibo figures.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#8 Posted: 21:24:01 06/04/2015
For me ive only completed my SSA collection, so i got them grouped by element type. The rest i kind of have groups by type ( swap force and trap master i only got 1 giant) and i put the ones i like in front. The cores, i got the ones i like again in front and the rest are on another area of my room. Im starting to run out of room and im going to have to buy another shelf soon at this rate. Ill see if i can post i picture of my set-up, its nothing special.

But i did see a cool display i saw in a video someone posted here. Video was about some remote control character swaper thing.
But at the end of it the person panned around there room showing there collection. If i remember right they has these shelf things that where only about 3 inches deep but multi layered. They had there figures on the shelves with the cards behind them. I thought that was cool.

It looked something like this but a little diffrent. http://i.imgur.com/G2laz.jpg

also thats not my set-up, but a random picture i found on the internet.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:24:52 06/04/2015 by Alphawolf
DobermanOwner Yellow Sparx Gems: 1013
#9 Posted: 01:32:57 07/04/2015
It's nothing fancy, but it works! I made my shelf myself from plans I found online. My display is 4 foot wide and is full. I can probably squeeze the rest of Trap Team on there, but Skylanders 5 is probably getting it's own display! I have 205 different figures on the shelves (some I had to put in front of each other). I have 3 clear boxed figures on top along with my 6 EE figures. The last shelf is for dark and light. I didn't give them their own shelves because they don't have many figures. I stuck my magic items and extra levels on there to fill it. I'm debating if I should switch the background color of the light section from yellow to white... Underneath the shelf, I got 4 canvas drawers that I have some other boxed figures, my doubles, portals, games and other Skylanders items. I also put my trap box under there.

Anywho, here it is:
[User Posted Image]
---
Collection total: 317/364 figures, 28/31 vehicles, 51/66 traps, 34/35 magic items & bonus levels (not counting Skymiibos)
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#10 Posted: 02:52:51 07/04/2015
All I know is it looks awesome and u have 0 growth potential. As dumb as this sounds I feel a display solution is basically impossible to think about and execute while you don't know the final outcome of your collection. It's one of the reasons I just put my current years figure in ONE display case, and safely bag and store the others. I'd like to potentially pursue this, once I know I'm done.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#11 Posted: 04:25:29 07/04/2015
The plans were for an 8 foot display, but I only had 4 feet of space on the wall that I wanted to mount it to. It works just fine for me as I only plan on getting maybe 10 more figures. If I ever wanted to relocate the shelf, I could very easily expand the shelf size by simply removing a few screws and adding more wood. Plus, I don't mind doubling up figures. I put the variants in front of the standard figures to save space. I'm sure the 8 foot display could easily fit all figures and variants with plenty of room for Skylanders 5. I've already dumped enough money into this habit, er hobby, so throwing together a $50 shelf with the potential of it not holding all my figures is fine with me knowing that it is easily expandable if I so choose.
---
Collection total: 317/364 figures, 28/31 vehicles, 51/66 traps, 34/35 magic items & bonus levels (not counting Skymiibos)
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#12 Posted: 22:13:01 07/04/2015 | Topic Creator
DobermanOwner that is a sweet display! And it sort of calls to one of the major things that's kept me from making a display: Ease of expansion. You seem to have a pretty good solution figured out for that, though. Plus, just building a second, separate, 4 ft section beside it wouldn't look bad either!

When I eventually build/plan my own custom display I'll only be showcasing the basic, series 1, version of each character so that 4ft section may even last me through Sky5.

You've all posted some amazing ideas so far! Your creativity is really helping me to leech good ideas from the populace, lol!
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#13 Posted: 09:44:25 09/04/2015
I started the design process for a couple displays and have been fine tuning the layouts. I understand wanting to expand storage capacity, but feel it's important to have a complete display. The best way I have found to balance this is to separate figures by games. This may seem easy, but if you include more than one game in a display it can be tricky and more interesting. The figures can be grouped in so many different ways. There can be rows of variants, reposes, minis etc. If you play around with layouts and come up with a good one, I would be interested to see it. Once you find a nice setup that works with specific games, then it helps when selecting characters for gameplay. I think there are enough figures that any serious collector should consider having more than one display to see each character well and not struggle too much with the size of the display if it needs to be moved.
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#14 Posted: 02:36:49 10/04/2015
Quote: DobermanOwner
It's nothing fancy, but it works! I made my shelf myself from plans I found online. My display is 4 foot wide and is full. I can probably squeeze the rest of Trap Team on there, but Skylanders 5 is probably getting it's own display! I have 205 different figures on the shelves (some I had to put in front of each other). I have 3 clear boxed figures on top along with my 6 EE figures. The last shelf is for dark and light. I didn't give them their own shelves because they don't have many figures. I stuck my magic items and extra levels on there to fill it. I'm debating if I should switch the background color of the light section from yellow to white... Underneath the shelf, I got 4 canvas drawers that I have some other boxed figures, my doubles, portals, games and other Skylanders items. I also put my trap box under there.

Anywho, here it is:
[User Posted Image]

Dang, haven't seen your room in awhile, and you done filled that shelf up since last time!! Btw, how those fishys doing??
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
stoat2337 Gold Sparx Gems: 2270
#15 Posted: 20:20:25 10/04/2015
I'm lame. The non-rares are simply stacked in Game specific tackle boxes. Rares are sitting behind me on my other desk in no particular order.
j32bass Yellow Sparx Gems: 1842
#16 Posted: 22:25:56 10/04/2015
I made these two, they look a little better now, this is an old photo.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

They are made out of plywood covered in felt and blacklights installed inside. Cut holes out where each figure goes. Just didn't have it in me to make 2-3 more! LOL
---
Thinkin' 'bout droppin' out.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#17 Posted: 03:44:32 11/04/2015
You guys have some sick looking displays. Hopefully once our homes costruction gets finished i can actually setup my gaming room with stuff.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#18 Posted: 03:57:08 11/04/2015
Never saw that SSA/SG legendary mashup poster anywhere either...setup looks awesome.
#19 Posted: 08:08:00 11/04/2015
j32bass nice display, a bit on the large side, will probably need alot of room to get 4( soon 5) of them in a room. But shows each figure off very nicely, one of the best ive seen so far.
#20 Posted: 01:43:22 12/04/2015
Quote: skylander_chaos

Dang, haven't seen your room in awhile, and you done filled that shelf up since last time!! Btw, how those fishys doing??

They are good! They've grown a bit since my last post but still have plenty of growing to do! I kinda wish they'd hurry up but it's nice to watch them grow...

Yeah I'm pretty much out of room on the shelf. I plan on squeezing the rest of TT on there as well as the last two EE figures. I plan on displaying Skylanders 5 differently.
---
#21 Posted: 21:32:02 20/04/2015
well after looking at what other people got and talking to friends i think its time i build a display. i got an idea right now thats a hybrid of some other ideas. i need to draw up the plans and get everything measured out but i think it will really be something one-of-a-kind. but ill try to post pics somewhere once i actually get started.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me