Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro Project Development (Fan Game)
Page 1 of 1
Spyro Project Development (Fan Game)
WFLD Emerald Sparx Gems: 3600
#1 Posted: 17:23:16 31/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Hi...

To spread some awareness, I've been working on a game project for a while to create a 2D platformer 'prototype' (so far) based on the classic Spyro universe. I have proof of work as demonstrated by videos linked below, including the game files linked in their descriptions. I was wondering if people could give them (particularly the latest version) a try and tell me what they think so far.

Versions (latest to oldest)

_prototype_300315:

_prototype_210315:

_prototype_070315:

*The number refers to the date the new version was completed/compiled e.g. 300315 is the date 30/03/2015*

These are only prototypes (although they are more like 'first playable' by this stage) and I have no idea how far this will go. Hopefully, I want it to end up small as a sort of short nostalgic experience.

I say "based off" previously because I don't want them to resemble too much of the Spyro IP and get a legal issue, although predictably it might look to head that direction. Therefore I don't want this to become too popular, or I could switch colour hues and sprites to make it look more original and just have it "based on" the IP as some sort of distant spin off (hence the previous wording)

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Maybe comment on controls (WASD and <Space>) or something...

Remember, their downloadable .exe's are in their video descriptions smilie

EDIT: Changed the <url> </url> attributes to <youtube> </youtube> so you can see a lovely preview.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:31:45 30/06/2015 by WFLD
Blisten Ripto Gems: 62
#2 Posted: 03:14:37 01/04/2015
Purty darn good if you ask me. If you want to turn it into a full game, just remember to recolor him.
#3 Posted: 16:05:11 06/04/2015 | Topic Creator
UPDATE!!! =D
Now introducing original music and the first hub world, plus a look at portals.

_prototype_050415:

EDIT: Changed the <url> </url> attributes to <youtube> </youtube> so you can see a lovely preview.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:56:59 22/05/2015 by WFLD
Blisten Ripto Gems: 62
#4 Posted: 02:29:08 14/04/2015
I have an idea! Let's make a full funding petition for this! We can kickstart this game by giving him Kickstarter money!
#5 Posted: 16:42:03 07/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Not dead yet, just real life comes first.

*inserts proof of work here*

New night level with new enemy:
[User Posted Image]

Locked chest with key. Explodes with gems when touched if a key has been collected (no image for that happening though):
[User Posted Image]
Skylark56 Blue Sparx Gems: 610
#6 Posted: 11:39:45 16/05/2015
Wow this genuinely looks really interesting smilie Although I do think that Spyro jumps a bit too high....
---
Finding Something New About Spyro Everyday!
#7 Posted: 20:47:48 18/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote:
Although I do think that Spyro jumps a bit too high....

Yea, I couldn't find a balance between how far you can jump, how high you can jump and how far you can glide as a result of this, so, yea...
#8 Posted: 11:56:30 05/06/2015 | Topic Creator
NEW UPDATE smilie

Well, this is kind of just a mini update. I am still working on the game, but I had exams. Many...many...many exams. But now I only have 3 exams left within the next 6 days so I have time to come back to this again.

So this is basically just a hilarious glitch I found when I was programming the death animation just moments ago, and I wanted to share it so you can see that I'm still making this thing and for the lols.

Enjoy.

shadowstarcat Gold Sparx Gems: 2177
#9 Posted: 02:25:16 07/06/2015
Oh my gosh spyro's face smilie. Keep this up! This is looking like a real professional game smilie
---
Im a crazy feral vigilante dragon lady
#10 Posted: 09:37:07 07/06/2015 | Topic Creator
Glad you think so smilie I worry that it will ultimately end up being bland when I finish it, but I hope to make it unique from other Spyro games somehow. I haven't even figured out any story yet smilie
#11 Posted: 12:18:34 07/06/2015
Well I hope you continue this and find a good story to suit. Have you thought of other characters you may include?
---
#12 Posted: 13:16:10 07/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I have been thinking about it a bit more (after your inspiration), and I think I might add "skins" in a way like AHT did after achieving things. However, I think Spyro will only be playable.

For the final boss, though, I DEFINITELY want to use Toasty (spoilers?) in some sort of ridiculous overzealous hyped up boss fight! Probably will try and include comedic dialogue in that scene and in the game throughout. Perhaps I might make it about Toasty's ultimate revenge after all those poor fodder who had been subject to Spyro's tyranny throughout 1998 - 2005(?) whereby he seeks to establish a New World Order and overthrow the Dragons.

I thought that would be a funny story which brings with it a hilarious climax. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:15:14 08/06/2015 by WFLD
#13 Posted: 22:24:50 07/06/2015
Sounds good! Just wandering, Will there be mini bosses and flight sections? I don't know how it could work but maybe you have an idea?
---
#14 Posted: 13:25:07 08/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I know that I want to have a boss fight between each of the home worlds, but I don't know what you mean specifically by "mini bosses". I might include a few stronger enemies if that's what you mean. I know that flight levels were a part of the original series but I don't know how to include them. Perhaps I won't include them at all smilie.

Who knows? I may find a way...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:57:55 19/07/2015 by WFLD
#15 Posted: 21:21:39 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
I made another glitch (not intentionally, obviously)...

It seems that progress is slow, but I'm just making decisions about how to go about stuff. I'm also thinking about revamping/changing movement, chiefly about how high Spyro can jump.
#16 Posted: 18:45:21 21/06/2015 | Topic Creator
MOAR actual progress smilie

I've dedicated the entire day to adding fodder and fodder mechanics into the game. Here's a snippet from my change log...

Quote: Waffled's awesome change log from his awesome game thing.
+ Added animations for sheep sprite 21/06/2015
+ Added AI for fodder and a sheep object 21/06/2015
+ Added butterflies which restore hp 21/06/2015
+ Added a fodder spawner 21/06/2015
+ Added special butterfly which spawns every 10 fodder kills 21/06/2015
+ Added lives counter in the HUD with an icon 21/06/2015

Oh, and here's some images too...

[User Posted Image]
As you can see, two sheep are visible. The big red thing is a spawner which will be invisible in the actual game. There will always be at least two sheep per spawner.

[User Posted Image]
There is this funny animation I made for when sheep die by fire, similar to the one found in Spyro: Fusion/Orange smilie There is also a special butterfly with magical sparkles smilie. These spawn when 10 fodder are killed but I put these two here for the purpose of testing. There's also now a lives counter with an image of lives from Spyro the Dragon smilie

Get hyped...
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:03:50 29/07/2016 by WFLD
#17 Posted: 10:31:17 30/06/2015 | Topic Creator
UPDATE TIME smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie

Now with a new level, new music, new enemies, new mortality and FAIRIES smilie

...and other stuff as well smilie

Oh, and I'm changing the title to development because this is way past the prototyping stage already. If it were, all the sprites would be coloured boxes smilie

#18 Posted: 18:56:27 05/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Again, yet another update. This time, it came out fairly quickly smilie.

Although this is only a small update, it's fairly important. I have changed the way Spyro moves (uses hspeed instead of just simply moving the coordinates in the room by a relative amount). This makes movement faster, smoother and better. I have also added the hovering ability, making gliding more viable smilie

Future levels will probably be designed around these new movement mechanics so this is why this update came out first.

Link to the new downloadable .exe should be in the video description. Tell me if it feels better (or worse) and give feedback (if you want smilie)

Oh, and you get to hear my crackly voice on a bad default microphone, so that's a plus, right?
#19 Posted: 17:53:00 27/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Update!

I won't embed another YouTube video as that would take yet more processing and work for the internet to load. There's too much of that here already. Have a link instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xfcaTy6Js

Not much in the way of added features this time, but it does smooth out controls a little and adds sound. That's right...SOUND smilie
Oh, and there's also pausing.

Enjoy (if anyone is still here, anyway)!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:46:37 14/08/2015 by WFLD
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#20 Posted: 03:13:00 01/08/2015
Looks cool
Might try this out..
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
CrystalFissure Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#21 Posted: 12:45:55 13/08/2015
Looking good! Can't wait for more updates.
#22 Posted: 14:56:27 17/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks smilie I think you deserve a reward...

MOAR UPDATES!

Now, the first two videos are old news, but the third is brand spanking new smilie

Slightly old news smilie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cco4iZu2XtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCW40jDAJI

New stuff smilie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSby7ZB8VQ

BE HAPPY!
#23 Posted: 11:52:24 11/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Well, it's been a while since I posted here, but here are some bits that aren't quite new, but are updates nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ouCR6fQ80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtNC8GXj2c

Well, in other news, this fangame has made it onto the Spyro subreddit fangame page to good reception smilie
https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro/wiki/fangames

A reddit page was also set up so people can ask me any questions or make suggestions, although you can more than easily do that here instead
https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro...ect_by_waffled/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:46:58 02/05/2017 by WFLD
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#24 Posted: 12:55:10 11/10/2015
Nice to see you're still working on it. I'm just giving lurker visits when there is progress since I'm too green on game design to help much, but great work!
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#25 Posted: 17:18:42 12/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks.

I've also recently implemented the supercharge powerup, complete with particles and a time-bar. Still in the works, but existent nonetheless. A video about it can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KFQdoBct4

The one thing that is holding me back thus far is graphics, particularly tilesets (sets of images(tiles) that are placed over the levels to make them look pretty). I've sepnt way to long designing this one levels and I need to move onto the first boss (which is probably going to be a cow armed with a halberd and a jetpack(?) that literally says "moo" every now and then).
Alydol Ripto Gems: 1330
#26 Posted: 23:19:53 12/01/2016
How did you do that?
I have gamemaker but I can't do something like dat! ......
Starlight_Shine Yellow Sparx Gems: 1088
#27 Posted: 21:28:37 17/01/2016
Impressive! I will definitely look for time to try this out!
#28 Posted: 18:18:53 21/03/2016 | Topic Creator
It's been a while since the last update, and it's probably going to be a while until the next one since I'm approaching my AS level exams (and those are pretty important)! In the meantime, let me satiate your appetite! Have an update video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ad4pIJ1DI

In addition, I have also created a Game Jolt page in order to hopefully provide for a future platform. It looks pretty good so far smilie
http://gamejolt.com/games/spyro-project-fan-game/130936

If you wish to download the current version, here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/...E5FWDBTeTQ/view
EDIT: Game can now be downloaded from Game Jolt so you can go there instead smilie

Whilst it seems that progress is slow (which it probably is), this update should hopefully lay the foundations for future rapid development. Hope you enjoy smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:23:20 21/03/2016 by WFLD
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#29 Posted: 19:07:16 09/05/2016
Wow, this game looks really interesting so far!
asdfghjkl
So cool!!!! ;A;
I watch the video and it is just SO AMAZING.
I REALLY LOVED THE DARK LEVEL AND HOW SPARX CAN LIGHT UP IN THE DARK
what an amazing idea!!!!!!
Seriously, I need to keep an eye on this!

I don't have time to download it right now *coughhavetogotoschoolsooncough* buuut, does this work on Mac?

AND, I know you probably don't because you've been doing such a great job with this so far, but if you want me to do any art for this game, man, I'll be happy to help! This looks so amazing. c';
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#30 Posted: 18:16:33 11/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Thanks smilie

I'm developing it mainly for windows on a windows version of GM: S on a windows laptop that was built by Dell but came with windows because windows.... smilie

buuuuuut when I'm done I'll want to export this to Mac or maybe even HTML5 so everyone can play it smilie

And as for the art, I admit that I'm not the best at it. I have been considering appealing to other people to do some of the more tricky art I wish to implement such as backgrounds and a few large sprites (and maybe some cutscenes but I think I might animate these in-game instead), but I'll probably reserve this until the main game is finished; then polish can be added later.

I'll keep you on my radar smilie
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#31 Posted: 21:17:11 11/05/2016
No problem! ^^

And I can understand that! And I think it's a great idea to export it to HTML5 as well. Guess I'll just have to wait. But the videos you upload will make me happy in the meantime. c:

Okay, that's fine! But I think you're doing a great job with the art anyway, the game looks amazing at this stage of the development.

But thank you for even considering me for the future anyway. XD
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
tepip3 Red Sparx Gems: 38
#32 Posted: 00:30:51 19/06/2016
Dude you inspired me too make my own video games in game maker studio. If you would like me too help program the game I'm up for it. Thanks so much.
#33 Posted: 19:39:08 14/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Another couple of months, another update! smilie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0130IQkHz4o

Here's a link to the GameJolt page: http://gamejolt.com/games/spyro-project-fan-game/130936

Check it out!
#34 Posted: 10:10:38 01/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Haven't been here for a while o.o

Anyway, just a quick update vid smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:15:46 01/04/2017 by WFLD
#35 Posted: 21:17:25 26/08/2017 | Topic Creator
A quick test of a 3D (2.5D) perspective smilie

Enderking90 Red Sparx Gems: 89
#36 Posted: 05:52:44 13/09/2017
oh my... this seems quite the interesting project....

I'll gladly wait for me progress done.
#37 Posted: 20:09:17 06/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Guess who's back...back again....

Oooweee, its been, like, a whole year since my last proper update. And, in meantime, it appears the remastered / remade trilogy has been announced also. Nevertheless, I'll post this here for anyone whose (still) interested.

This was an April Fools playable demo I cobbled together for, uh, April Fools, but I withdrew from posting it here until my topics got migrated from 'Spyro Fandom' to 'Spyro General' (courtesy of Trix Master 100) - there seems to be more classic-related content and discussion flowing through here.

Oh, and I also needed the time to release a patch for some glitches / bugs - that too.

Unfortunately, I have made two uses of f-bombs in the demo and video (amongst other things), so to refrain from displaying those here (and breaking this site's rules) I'll just post the link to the Game Jolt Page instead (which contains an appropriate warning). If you want to see the video then you'll have to either find it on my YouTube Channel (in my footer below) or the Gamejolt page's devblog section.

Remember to download the 'April Fools' package and to play the latest a1.4.3 patch (NOT the 'alpha a1.3.0' package - not that you shouldn't, but it's outdated naow)!

https://gamejolt.com/games/spy...fan-game/130936

Have fun!

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:21:13 10/04/2018 by WFLD
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#38 Posted: 20:16:54 06/04/2018
You actually can embed videos with swearing, WLFD, they just need proper warning for the kids, maybe a spoiler tag, I think. As long as it's just swearing and not slurs it's alright.

Either way, good to see you back. That's a lot of leeks.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#39 Posted: 20:24:56 06/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Thanks Birfrost smilie, haven't been here in a while.

I talked with Trix Master 100 who said that the previous post was fine - I just wanted to be on the safe-side.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut if a platinum sparx insists...

Warning: the following video contains two instances of utilisation of no-no words :cccccc
#40 Posted: 17:11:43 02/07/2018 | Topic Creator
I put a shady-wady in my thingy-wing game to make it look R3tr0 smilie

[User Posted Image]
https://imgur.com/uma8sEe

The option to enable / disable this shader will be availible...eventually.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me