Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
A polite reminder. [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#51 Posted: 20:12:36 30/03/2015
Quote: StriderSwag
Not to be rude or sound angered, but if kind of like to see an example of a big issue being handled well on S&N, if that's not a problem.

I was just using race as an example, but this one was tied to classes and in turn, politics. Politics is one of those topics that people get in a lot of fights over.

I wish I could provide an example but unfortunately I can't. I don't recall there being topics about Ferguson or the chokehold case.

Thing is that there actually aren't that many fights that go on about politics on dS. S&N's userbase is overwhelmingly liberal, as well as agnostic/atheist, and usually all agree on the hot button issues (gay marriage is good, abortions should be allowed, separation of church and state, etc etc). Usually the only time a political fight breaks out is when one of the handful of conservative users post their thoughts and everyone gangs up on them.

And even in many of those instances they aren't really fights more than it is heated debate. It just looks like a fight because of how lopsided they are, or how back in the day they involved religion.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:13:02 30/03/2015 by CAV
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#52 Posted: 20:16:49 30/03/2015
Quote: CAV
Not to be rude or sound angered, but if kind of like to see an example of a big issue being handled well on S&N, if that's not a problem.

I was just using race as an example, but this one was tied to classes and in turn, politics. Politics is one of those topics that people get in a lot of fights over.

I wish I could provide an example but unfortunately I can't. I don't recall there being topics about Ferguson or the chokehold case.

Thing is that there actually aren't that many fights that go on about politics on dS. S&N's userbase is overwhelmingly liberal, as well as agnostic/atheist, and usually all agree on the hot button issues (gay marriage is good, abortions should be allowed, separation of church and state, etc etc). Usually the only time a political fight breaks out is when one of the handful of conservative users post their thoughts and everyone gangs up on them.

And even in many of those instances they aren't really fights more than it is heated debate. It just looks like a fight because of how lopsided they are, or how back in the day they involved religion.

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=110860 here was Ferguson, enter at your own risk.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#53 Posted: 20:18:01 30/03/2015

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=110860

The Ferguson topic.
Philomena Blue Sparx Gems: 959
#54 Posted: 20:18:51 30/03/2015
Shhhhhhh it's okay. I'll say I care even if I don't. <3
---
Don't worry, I'm a qualified Reactor Operator. I can handle this situation.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#55 Posted: 20:20:52 30/03/2015

The way I remember it, most of the "religion wars" had very little to do with any actual religious discussion. It was mostly the insufferable attitudes of some religious/atheist users that caused the debates. The snarky remarks about God and Hell, and the accusations of sinful thinking just served as the bullets in the guns.
#56 Posted: 20:31:57 30/03/2015
Quote: theuone
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=110860 here was Ferguson, enter at your own risk.

Quote: Wreckingball13

Thank you kindly folks.

Quote: Samius
The way I remember it, most of the "religion wars" had very little to do with any actual religious discussion. It was mostly the insufferable attitudes of some religious/atheist users that caused the debates. The snarky remarks about God and Hell, and the accusations of sinful thinking just served as the bullets in the guns.

There was religious discussion in them, and often very interesting discussion. Smartass remarks are what started them (also responses like "Oh here we go again" just encouraged it more), but when they really got rolling it was capable of giving us legitimate debates and discussion about religion (usually Christianity) and its role in politics (since it usually centered around LGBT rights).

It's just that people don't really remember that part of it. They remember all the fighting and FW, Torok, Apoc, and Observer acting like asses about their points. By all means it was a cluster**** and their attitudes played a huge role in why they happened in the first place, but it wasn't terrible either.

Though I'm probably biased since I regularly participated in that **** and enjoyed it.
#57 Posted: 20:39:56 30/03/2015

There was religious discussion in them, and often very interesting discussion. Smartass remarks are what started them (also responses like "Oh here we go again" just encouraged it more), but when they really got rolling it was capable of giving us legitimate debates and discussion about religion (usually Christianity) and its role in politics (since it usually centered around LGBT rights).

It's just that people don't really remember that part of it. They remember all the fighting and FW, Torok, Apoc, and Observer acting like asses about their points. By all means it was a cluster**** and their attitudes played a huge role in why they happened in the first place, but it wasn't terrible either.

Though I'm probably biased since I regularly participated in that **** and enjoyed it.

I suppose we just classify those debates and non-debates differently. There was religious discussion present, but I never considered that to have much to do with all the flaming. I remember having very lengthy conversations with Torok about Christianity, admittedly all of which ended in a similar fashion, but at least we were always civil.

I so hope that one day Idle Chatter picks up some of these subjects again.
#58 Posted: 20:45:40 30/03/2015
^I do think there was a lot of flaming taking part, a lot of it on the atheist side of things (Observer was being an ass, I hope that everyone that remembers this stuff can all agree). But when a lot of them started out, I swear I remember them being civil and more calm until someone came and ramped it up to 11.

Memory might be fuzzy, and I'm just thinking of it better than it really was.

And I'd like Idle Chatter to get some interesting discussion too. But the problem is that nobody goes there and just goes to S&N. Why? Because there are no threads in Idle Chatter. But why are there no threads? Because nobody goes there. It's an endless cycle and it's to a point where putting a thread there that isn't a poll or about anime (things that could easily exist in here just fine) is practically a death sentence.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:46:54 30/03/2015 by CAV
#59 Posted: 20:52:51 30/03/2015
^I do think there was a lot of flaming taking part, a lot of it on the atheist side of things (Observer was being an ass, I hope that everyone that remembers this stuff can all agree). But when a lot of them started out, I swear I remember them being civil and more calm until someone came and ramped it up to 11.

Memory might be fuzzy, and I'm just thinking of it better than it really was.

And I'd like Idle Chatter to get some interesting discussion too. But the problem is that nobody goes there and just goes to S&N. Why? Because there are no threads in Idle Chatter. But why are there no threads? Because nobody goes there. It's an endless cycle and it's to a point where putting a thread there that isn't a poll or about anime (things that could easily exist in here just fine) is practically a death sentence.

Yeah, jump-starting Idle Chatter would require a consensus of a sort. Which is also one of the reasons why I like to bring it up so much. To spread what little awareness I can.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#60 Posted: 20:55:14 30/03/2015
This doesn't meet my standards of a topic, also, my ancestors used to make topics in which everyone cared about so this is very offensive and is insulting to my heritage and family and race and age and eye colour and shoe size which I think people who think like you should get banned wow you're so uneducated southern bumpkin who knows nothing now get out before someone notices how your opinions are different and even though they make us think the exact same, we still all have the same opinion so get out

rip toe
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#61 Posted: 21:39:05 30/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Mrmorrises

For a person who ignores other people's thoughts because their posts lack capitalization and punctuation, you sure seem to put a lot of value on what others think about your topics.

There is no shame in admitting that their posts got you worked up. Self-reflection is a vital process of learning, and you shouldn't try to shield yourself with images of moral or intellectual superiority, no matter whether you were correct or not.

Save the sermon for Sunday, pal. I was being completely sarcastic with that post.

Yes, obviously. I'm just saying that if you want people to like you more, maybe some effort to reconcile with them would be in order.

Thank you for the suggestion, I hate to sound negative, but trying to reconcile with most of the Anti-Morris folks would probably just be futile. They aren't easy people to reason with.
#62 Posted: 22:45:58 30/03/2015 | Topic Creator
"you don't have to sugarcoat everything you say, but at the same time you don't have to be a complete dick"

Fair enough, but aren't you kind of failing to take your own advice when you say, in the very same post:

"and a lot of the time he comes off as a asshole to me"
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#63 Posted: 22:55:44 30/03/2015
I find it amazing that a topic like this was taken seriously..

Just, what? :/......

Soo, uh....

How's everyone doing? ^.^
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#64 Posted: 22:56:47 30/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sesshomaru75
If me saying that you sometimes come off as an asshole to me makes you think of me as a complete dick, then yes. Otherwise, no.

There's a difference between being a complete dick all the time and just pointing out that someone comes off as an asshole to you once.

The later is still sorta rude, yes, but I usually don't say much about you anyways, so...

I come off as a complete dick all of the time? Well okay then, I didn't know that. Frankly, I don't really know what you did think of me because sometimes you'd sound like you thought I was awesome and others not so much. But okay, the message has been made clear.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#65 Posted: 23:24:28 30/03/2015
Politics can start wars on Spyro Forums.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#66 Posted: 23:32:14 30/03/2015
Quote: Cynderfan507
Quote: cowpowa23
I find it amazing that a topic like this was taken seriously..

Just, what? :/......

Soo, uh....

How's everyone doing? ^.^

PRETTY DAMN GOOD, HOW'RE U, VACHE!?

WHY I SAY I AM PRETTY DANG-DOODLI-GOOD MYSELF

HOWS THE DOG OH WAIT HE DIED

18 YEARS AGO

MMMMMMMM-

HOWS THE CAT??!?!?
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#67 Posted: 23:36:18 30/03/2015
That's what it means and I don't care
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#68 Posted: 00:10:45 31/03/2015
If you want to look smart and nice at the same time just make really long posts that nobody will read but it's long so you must be right!
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#69 Posted: 01:00:05 31/03/2015
[User Posted Image]
~~~~~~~~~~
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#70 Posted: 01:15:20 31/03/2015
Why is this a topic
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me