Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Easter trap... kind of a big letdown for me.
Page 1 of 1
Easter trap... kind of a big letdown for me. [CLOSED]
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#1 Posted: 05:04:28 23/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Well I just got around to opening my wave 4 and Easter Skylanders and I have to say the biggest letdown was the Easter bunny trap. It does not register any differently than its cheaper counterpart. And unlike pumpkin eye brawl the box did not make it apparent that it was not an in-game difference.
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#2 Posted: 05:18:17 23/03/2015
Sorry thought you knew that.....all In-Game Variants have a "name" with the standard name on the packaging....Ex. "Rebel" Lob Goblin..."Scarlet" NinJini...ect. Look at your Pumpkin Eye-Brawl package....where the name is on the bottom...it just says Eye-Brawl.
Here's a pic in case you can't find yours....
[User Posted Image]
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#3 Posted: 07:22:09 23/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Yah but this is the first case of a trap that does not show up in-game. With characters it shows you on the back what it shows up as, but not with traps. With pumpkin eye brawl it clearly shows on the back that he shows up regular. After the legendary traps and U Kaos trap, I guess I just assumed it would be a in-game thing. Heck it does not even have a special tag in-coded on the chip...
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#4 Posted: 10:21:59 23/03/2015
I did not know this. I bought it from gamestop.com (delivery tomorrow) so I assume I should be able to return it to the store. Yeah if it's not going to register differently then the actual counterpart it's not worth keeping.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#5 Posted: 13:22:25 23/03/2015
It's been mentioned many times already in these threads. Yeah, it's a huge letdown, though. It's one reason I'm not too excited about getting it (or, at least, as much as I once was), but I still think it's fun looking.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#6 Posted: 13:40:53 23/03/2015
And to top it off, it's 50% more money you're throwing away by paying $9 for it instead of $6 like other traps. I pointed it out previously that I'm not going to be blind to these price increases and won't throw my money at Activision for such outrageous cash grabs. Although Pumpkin Eye Brawl was the same situation where he didn't appear differently in-game, at least Activision didn't resort to a foolish markup in cost over other Giants figures...would you guys have bought him if they upped his price 50% to $22.50 instead of $15 like other Giants? Where is the line drawn? Same as with the Eon's Elite line, I will speak with my wallet and do without this Easter trap and the Easter minis until I see a 50% or more deep discount.

While I'm on a rant, Activision is run by fools if they make MSRP on these Easter figures $9. They could have just as easily made the Easter figures $6 and profited bigtime instead by pumping out more of the light and dark element expansion packs. Instead of selling a highly profitable and popular item in demand, they resort to these price increase shenanigans. Much like they did with Guitar Hero, Band Hero, DJ Hero, and that entire franchise, Activision is looking to cash out as much as possible before running the Skylanders franchise into the ground.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:48:32 23/03/2015 by mastermc54
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#7 Posted: 15:41:18 23/03/2015
Point understood mastermc54...but the cost is higher do to the packaging its in....that silly plastic egg and the paint job raised the price....and i to am not going to get it...hence i knew it wouldn't have any kind of encoding on the RFID chip. Besides im skilled enough to buy a standard Earth UpsideDown Guy and paint it myself to the Easter Bunny paint scheme. I just wouldn't have the egg it comes in....ohhh big deal...lol.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
BP Blue Sparx Gems: 631
#8 Posted: 16:25:54 23/03/2015
I have long thought that the Easter Trap was going to be a bomb this year. It costs more, does nothing different than the other earth traps, is a remake of a trap that is already in Wave 4, and is in an element that has only 4 villans.

Then, I got my shipment of Easter figures and my son saw it...

Son: "Dad, I have to HAVE one of those Easter traps."

Me: "Why? Its the same as the other Earth Handstand trap. And it's a funny looking bunny that doesn't match the other traps. Let's just stick with the regular Earth Handstand."

Son: "But the bunny is SOOOOO COOOOLLLLLL! I HAVE to have one."

Me: "Seriously? You really want one of these?"

Son: "It's the coolest trap yet."

I am floored by my son's strong reaction to the Easter trap. It makes no sense to me, but maybe I am just not the target market...
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#9 Posted: 16:31:04 23/03/2015
Quote: BP
I have long thought that the Easter Trap was going to be a bomb this year. It costs more, does nothing different than the other earth traps, is a remake of a trap that is already in Wave 4, and is in an element that has only 4 villans.

Me: "Why? Its the same as the other Earth Handstand trap. And it's a funny looking bunny that doesn't match the other traps. Let's just stick with the regular Earth Handstand."

I am floored by my son's strong reaction to the Easter trap. It makes no sense to me, but maybe I am just not the target market...

What about:

Son: Ooooo, this trap is cooler. It's a bunny.
Dad: No son, we already have the normal version of that trap.
Son: BUT IT IS A BUNNY!!!!
Dad: Shut up and take my money!
---
Spread those positive vibes
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#10 Posted: 17:04:58 23/03/2015

And that's the exact reason they made it. It is a cool looking trap, especially for kids. I have nothing against the trap as long as it showed up in game different or did something different (i.e. villain variant or unlock a hat). Because it doesn't, it's another item that just confuses consumers.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:18 23/03/2015 by obidawsn
#11 Posted: 18:27:49 23/03/2015

A valid reason for why I will be buying the Easter trap for a 6 year old who plays the game...when it goes on deep discount that is. I showed him the trap design and he loves it too...kind of like a Rabbids version of the trap. I luckily don't have to go Skylanders hunting with the target age group that often...it's hard to say no to when you're actually shopping with a young Skylanders fan in tow.
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#12 Posted: 19:03:57 23/03/2015
Bunny is swag

Plus in NZ it costs the same as the normal trap smilie
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:06:41 23/03/2015 by Iganagor
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#13 Posted: 20:17:08 23/03/2015
Quote: Iganagor
Bunny is swag

So does that mean that you lucked out and got the Easter trap at a discount compared to the rest of the world, or are you overpaying for all of your traps? smilie

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#14 Posted: 22:31:42 23/03/2015
Well my easter Trap was just delivered, Seriously I don't see enough people doing the research to know that this trap will not show up as anything other then the normal trap and by looking at the box I'm sure most consumers would expect it to look different in the game.

Maybe it's just me but as someone said with only 4 trappable villains for Earth, it being easter and a bunny and all wouldn't it have made much more sense to make a bunny out of one of the life traps?

I'm not yet sure if I will indeed take it to gamestop tomorrow, it feels like it'll just be a waste of gas.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:32:19 23/03/2015 by Street50
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#15 Posted: 01:44:38 24/03/2015
Stop making sense. Marketing has no place for that.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
spoons10696 Gold Sparx Gems: 2525
#16 Posted: 02:31:06 24/03/2015
Is there a complete list of all the trapable villians by elemental group somewhere??..for the life of me I can't find one. Any help would be appreciated in locating one.
#17 Posted: 02:56:55 24/03/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
Point understood mastermc54...but the cost is higher do to the packaging its in....that silly plastic egg and the paint job raised the price....and i to am not going to get it...hence i knew it wouldn't have any kind of encoding on the RFID chip. Besides im skilled enough to buy a standard Earth UpsideDown Guy and paint it myself to the Easter Bunny paint scheme. I just wouldn't have the egg it comes in....ohhh big deal...lol.

I don't buy the higher cost of packaging rationale. Maybe 20 cents tops extra for the factory in China to make an Easter egg shape package instead...packaging should not be a reasoning for a 50% markup. And Activision got by just fine last year with all their Easter stuff without having to resort to a packaging markup. These Easter markups, $30 price point for element expansion packs, and $25 price point for Eon's Elite are all marketing tests to see how much they can really milk out of the fan base...they're testing limits of what they can get away with charging.
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#18 Posted: 03:10:12 24/03/2015
Quote: darkchylde28
Quote: Iganagor
Bunny is swag

So does that mean that you lucked out and got the Easter trap at a discount compared to the rest of the world, or are you overpaying for all of your traps? smilie

-Doug

Every single Skylander merch in NZ is overpriced
But I am happy the Easter Trap wasnt increased
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
jdavplay Blue Sparx Gems: 650
#19 Posted: 03:10:33 24/03/2015
I may be remembering incorrectly, but the Easter packs last year for Swap Force I didn't think were priced higher than the cores.
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#20 Posted: 05:12:29 24/03/2015
I don't even think it would be worth it if it showed in the game. I mean, these things show up for all of 1 second when you first put them in. There's no way they could get me to buy more than one trap per element with the current system.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#21 Posted: 06:09:49 24/03/2015
Quote: jdavplay
I may be remembering incorrectly, but the Easter packs last year for Swap Force I didn't think were priced higher than the cores.

Their packaging was just differently-shaped. The Trap Team ones include a large plastic egg container.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#22 Posted: 13:28:11 24/03/2015
Quote: Okaps
Quote: jdavplay

Their packaging was just differently-shaped. The Trap Team ones include a large plastic egg container.

More like half plastic egg container (no top)
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#23 Posted: 16:21:46 24/03/2015
Quote: mastermc54
...they're testing limits of what they can get away with charging.

High five~ the hand slap not the skylander... smilie

I'm warming up with the idea that my collection will not be complete because I have to start voting with my wallet.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:23:35 24/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#24 Posted: 04:10:32 06/04/2015
Quote: mastermc54
Quote: Phoenix_Lord

I don't buy the higher cost of packaging rationale. Maybe 20 cents tops extra for the factory in China to make an Easter egg shape package instead...packaging should not be a reasoning for a 50% markup. And Activision got by just fine last year with all their Easter stuff without having to resort to a packaging markup. These Easter markups, $30 price point for element expansion packs, and $25 price point for Eon's Elite are all marketing tests to see how much they can really milk out of the fan base...they're testing limits of what they can get away with charging.

I finally bought the 2 Easter mini variants with the Best Buy buy 1 get 1 50% off sale this past week. The total for both with the Gamers Club Unlocked discount came out to $9.58 plus tax. MUCH better than their lousy $9 each price tag at TRU, GameStop, and Amazon (though Amazon has dropped the price of Power Punch Pet Vac to $7.99). With the same Best Buy sale + GCU discount, the price for 2 Trapmasters was $17.98 plus tax.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me