Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
An Age Limit [CLOSED]
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#51 Posted: 15:35:31 20/03/2015
Quote: UncleBob
No, it really doesn't. COPPA has many other requirements to follow (many around private messaging/communication features) that would land this site in hot water should the issue come up.

https://www.ftccomplaintassist...ingStarted#crnt

this is horrible
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#52 Posted: 15:38:38 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersspyro
No, it really doesn't. COPPA has many other requirements to follow (many around private messaging/communication features) that would land this site in hot water should the issue come up.

https://www.ftccomplaintassist...ingStarted#crnt

this is horrible

Lol. smilie

----
---
Spread those positive vibes
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#53 Posted: 22:51:05 20/03/2015
Maybe delete the topic?
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#54 Posted: 22:54:58 20/03/2015
Why should the topic be deleted? It's not because you or other underaged users disagree with the age limit, is it?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#55 Posted: 02:03:20 21/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: drobot007
Maybe delete the topic?

Yeah, no. I think there maybe should be an age limit. For the safety of the website.
---
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#56 Posted: 04:36:40 21/03/2015
Quote: WilltheWizard
Maybe delete the topic?

Yeah, no. I think there maybe should be an age limit. For the safety of the website.

10+ I think
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#57 Posted: 05:45:47 21/03/2015
Just because you disagree or do not support something, it doesn't mean the topic has to be closed. Everyone here is making a suggestion, it doesn't mean just because you do not like the idea, or it's not to you likings, it has to be closed, or hidden for view, never to be brought up again. It's childish. And again, it exposes your age, by watching how you react to stuff.

Okay, you could be a 10 year old, that is mature. And will definitely follow the rules and guidelines of a forum. But I doubt it, I was young when I joined, I didn't know anything on the inter webs, nor have any experience on other forums/social media/websites. The reasoning for this is, the online community takes in stuff differently and also processes stuff differently. And that might be tough for youngsters to understand or manage to cope in a packed environment. Especially around older, more experienced people that mainly talk about more inappropriate or explicit content. And that is confusing, or not right to a youngsters brain, like yours.

It's not a bad thing, we're just saying that it's not the best place for you to be around your age. No ones offending you in any way. We are warning you, to make you understand and learn from it. Which will make you surely thankful in the long run.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#58 Posted: 12:41:09 21/03/2015
Quote: whirlwind fan
Just because you disagree or do not support something, it doesn't mean the topic has to be closed. Everyone here is making a suggestion, it doesn't mean just because you do not like the idea, or it's not to you likings, it has to be closed, or hidden for view, never to be brought up again. It's childish. And again, it exposes your age, by watching how you react to stuff.

Wise words.
#59 Posted: 14:18:14 21/03/2015 | Topic Creator

Okay, you could be a 10 year old, that is mature. And will definitely follow the rules and guidelines of a forum. But I doubt it, I was young when I joined, I didn't know anything on the inter webs, nor have any experience on other forums/social media/websites. The reasoning for this is, the online community takes in stuff differently and also processes stuff differently. And that might be tough for youngsters to understand or manage to cope in a packed environment. Especially around older, more experienced people that mainly talk about more inappropriate or explicit content. And that is confusing, or not right to a youngsters brain, like yours.

It's not a bad thing, we're just saying that it's not the best place for you to be around your age. No ones offending you in any way. We are warning you, to make you understand and learn from it. Which will make you surely thankful in the long run.

I 100% agree with this.
---
#60 Posted: 21:49:08 21/03/2015
I am almost 13

Am I fine?
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
#61 Posted: 23:18:44 21/03/2015
Quote: Iganagor
I am almost 13

Am I fine?

I'm just going to tell you. It doesn't matter if you're 12, 13 or whatever. It's if you think you are responsible to be around the site, or follow the guidelines and rules. It's not what others think, because they're most likely going to underestimate a user below the age of 12, and believe they're going to troll, flame, and not understand anything that goes on around the inter webs. This comes from experience. You could be 11, and use correct punctuation, grammar and capitalisation, though most people would doubt it, as theirselves may have not fully matured at that age... But what I'm saying is, you're 13, ask yourself... I'm I following the guidelines and rules? I'm I being completely responsible and watching others actions? The reason we're asking for the age limit, is because most younger people haven't fully matured and if they do go into a section that has more explicit content, or talks about more sexual things, they will feel uninvited or maybe even bullied, as most older users like to take advantage of those weaknesses. Anyway, as long as you feel you're mature enough, and you won't disrespect others opinions, as well as themselves. Then you'll do fine here.
#62 Posted: 01:38:36 22/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I am almost 13

Am I fine?

I'm just going to tell you. It doesn't matter if you're 12, 13 or whatever. It's if you think you are responsible to be around the site, or follow the guidelines and rules. It's not what others think, because they're most likely going to underestimate a user below the age of 12, and believe they're going to troll, flame, and not understand anything that goes on around the inter webs. This comes from experience. You could be 11, and use correct punctuation, grammar and capitalisation, though most people would doubt it, as theirselves may have not fully matured at that age... But what I'm saying is, you're 13, ask yourself... I'm I following the guidelines and rules? I'm I being completely responsible and watching others actions? The reason we're asking for the age limit, is because most younger people haven't fully matured and if they do go into a section that has more explicit content, or talks about more sexual things, they will feel uninvited or maybe even bullied, as most older users like to take advantage of those weaknesses. Anyway, as long as you feel you're mature enough, and you won't disrespect others opinions, as well as themselves. Then you'll do fine here.

Wow. That is deep. I agree. I do think I follow the rules and guidelines and I am 14 and ready for this forum.
---
#63 Posted: 01:46:56 22/03/2015
I am almost 13

Am I fine?

Wow. That is deep. I agree. I do think I follow the rules and guidelines and I am 14 and ready for this forum.

I have never been gnorc'd... That has to count for something, right?
My grammar is good when I don't rush things, and I usually don't rush things.
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:49:50 22/03/2015 by Iganagor
#64 Posted: 01:51:20 22/03/2015
I am almost 13

Am I fine?

As long as you feel you're responsible enough and can take stuff in without jumping to offence. I think you're doing fine. 14 was a mature age, for most people. And you seem to be going perfectly fine.

I have never been gnorc'd... Does that add to my swag?

The same for you.

Editing this because you edited your post and found differences. It doesn't matter if you've been gnorc'd, most people learn from punishments anyway...And I'm glad you edited your post. Cause no being gnorc'd, doesn't give you swag. Lol.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:53:17 22/03/2015 by whirlwind fan
#65 Posted: 01:52:17 22/03/2015
Maybe delete the topic?

Heheh, no
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#66 Posted: 12:45:04 22/03/2015
I think it's also a case of one bad fruit spoiling the entire basket. I couldn't tell Iganagor was any younger than 14 years old, but I can definately tell from the other ones that spam and pick fights to no end. If there's really no way to keep people who don't have the maturity to keep a discussion civil around, maybe harsher moderation to people who admitted to having lied about their age and prove they really can't compensate by being nice...?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#67 Posted: 12:57:30 22/03/2015
I honestly don't get why people even try to lie about their age. I applaud all the youngsters who've managed to lie about their age and get through without being noticed. The lack of punctuation already reveals that the user is not mature enough.
#68 Posted: 16:27:15 23/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Just to make it sure I think the age limit should get rid of younger immature users who cannot handle the internet. I know one right now, but I don't want to call him out.
---
#69 Posted: 17:22:34 23/03/2015
An age limit shouldn't be about getting rid of "immature" users. First and foremost, age does not equal maturity.

The age limt should be in place merely to be in compliance with legal requirements to protect the forums in the case of legal action.
#70 Posted: 17:23:30 23/03/2015 | Topic Creator
An age limit shouldn't be about getting rid of "immature" users. First and foremost, age does not equal maturity.

The age limt should be in place merely to be in compliance with legal requirements to protect the forums in the case of legal action.

Ok, this too.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#71 Posted: 17:30:45 23/03/2015

Thank you.

The topic isn't being closed.

I am almost 13

Am I fine?

There's no age limit so yes you're fine.
#72 Posted: 17:37:25 23/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV

Thank you.

The topic isn't being closed.

Yes. It is a discussion and if you do not enjoy the topic and disagree with it then leave. No offense or anything.
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#73 Posted: 03:40:06 24/03/2015
Can anyone say Gnarly? Posted a pic of himself as his avy, his address, his real name, and his password. Yes, this is just an extreme of the immature end, but there are others out there who don't have the maturity to be able to act responsibly while on the internet like that. I have seen a few such here, but I know there isn't exactly a rule against it and nothing that can truly be done to stop such from happening. Yes, an age limit would be good, not just for the legal reasons (isn't Dark in England anyway, or do I have things mixed up?), but to keep those away who can't handle themselves online, for the sake of the forum and for the kids themselves, as the actions of one immature user can easily wreak destruction upon a site if left unchecked.

Yes, I see that Dark has made his call and this post mostly doesn't matter at this point, but perhaps we can keep suggesting and hold out hope for the future that he may change his mind. Though truly, the proof for this need should have been evident as noted above with the Gnarly incident, but who knows, time will tell.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#74 Posted: 03:44:30 24/03/2015
Quote: Seiki
Can anyone say Gnarly? Posted a pic of himself as his avy, his address, his real name, and his password. Yes, this is just an extreme of the immature end, but there are others out there who don't have the maturity to be able to act responsibly while on the internet like that. I have seen a few such here, but I know there isn't exactly a rule against it and nothing that can truly be done to stop such from happening. Yes, an age limit would be good, not just for the legal reasons (isn't Dark in England anyway, or do I have things mixed up?), but to keep those away who can't handle themselves online, for the sake of the forum and for the kids themselves, as the actions of one immature user can easily wreak destruction upon a site if left unchecked.

Yes, I see that Dark has made his call and this post mostly doesn't matter at this point, but perhaps we can keep suggesting and hold out hope for the future that he may change his mind. Though truly, the proof for this need should have been evident as noted above with the Gnarly incident, but who knows, time will tell.

Agreed.

The gnarly incident should be a wake up call to dark on an age limit. If an age limit doesn't get added, another Gnarly incident will happen again in the site's future.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:49:07 24/03/2015 by MoonHorizons
#75 Posted: 03:55:14 24/03/2015
I don't want a third Gnarly incident to happen. :L
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#76 Posted: 03:58:40 24/03/2015
Quote: Aura24
I don't want a third Gnarly incident to happen. :L

Lewl.
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#77 Posted: 04:04:50 24/03/2015
@Seiki - Yeah Dark is in England.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#78 Posted: 04:14:55 24/03/2015
isn't Dark in England anyway, or do I have things mixed up?

The site is hosted within the US (Atlanta, last I pinged, if I recall correctly), thus is subject to US laws. Also, I *think* the UK has similar laws, but I can honestly say I don't know much about UK laws.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#79 Posted: 04:26:40 24/03/2015

I'm personally down with this idea. He currently doesn't see much use in a limit but if enough people request it maybe it'll happen at a point.

It should be worth noting though that in the cases of Gnarly and skylandersspyro there weren't as many mods as there are now around the clock, meaning that information stood up longer than it would've if there was at least one person constantly watching the section for this stuff. With 5 mods now in S&N alone (where both incidents happened? I don't recall Gnarly) the odds of something like this happening and staying up for an extended period of time are slimmer.
#80 Posted: 15:12:34 24/03/2015 | Topic Creator

Agreed.
---
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#81 Posted: 00:31:25 25/03/2015
To get your account approved you should have to explain the Birds and the Bees in a paragraph or two.
(btw this is a joke plzdontkillmektanxbai)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:39:20 25/03/2015 by Wreckingball13
#82 Posted: 00:32:28 25/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Wreckingball13
To get your account approved you should have to explain the Birds and the Bees in a paragraph or two.

Nope, that would be dumb.
---
#83 Posted: 00:39:00 25/03/2015
Open wikipedia, copy and paste.

Or if that isn't accepted,kids are still clever enough to write from the same paragraph with different words.
---
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#84 Posted: 01:52:18 25/03/2015
A paragraph why you should join seems like a fine idea!~

Also, I haven't posted here much, so I'll say my opinion,~

I'd like an age restriction, 13+ sounds suitable~
#85 Posted: 02:00:04 25/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Badwolfmichael

Well, the only thing is that what if you are with a parent or guardian when you sign up and they see that topic for a SKYLANDERS fansite. What would they think.

Son: Thanks for letting me sign up ma!
Mom: No problem son, let's just fill this form out.
Son: Ok ma. Thanks!
Mom: BIRDS AND BEES!!!! I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SKYLANDERS SITE!!!!
(Mom throws computer out window)
Son: Bu-but-but, Ma!
---
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#86 Posted: 02:23:10 25/03/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael

Well, the only thing is that what if you are with a parent or guardian when you sign up and they see that topic for a SKYLANDERS fansite. What would they think.

Son: Thanks for letting me sign up ma!
Mom: No problem son, let's just fill this form out.
Son: Ok ma. Thanks!
Mom: BIRDS AND BEES!!!! I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SKYLANDERS SITE!!!!
(Mom throws computer out window)
Son: Bu-but-but, Ma!

Good point.

The paragraph should be "Why do you want to join darkSpyro"
Something along those lines~

Though i doubt these features will ever be implemented~
#87 Posted: 03:09:19 25/03/2015
I'm too mature for my age smilie
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
#88 Posted: 03:35:40 25/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm too mature for my age smilie

Yay!!! smilie
---
14056 Blue Sparx Gems: 585
#89 Posted: 03:37:37 25/03/2015
Some of us are actually mature, (e.g. Iganagor) even though we are below your 'age limit'. You shouldn't underrate kids.
#90 Posted: 05:25:17 25/03/2015
Quote: Spyrobaro
Quote: 14056
Some of us are actually mature, (e.g. Iganagor) even though we are below your 'age limit'. You shouldn't underrate kids.

While I do agree (still being quite young myself and having joined when I was eleven), at the same time there are plenty of reasons to be supportive of the age limit.

Of course not every young person is too immature to handle the site. That assumption is ridiculous. But when people who are as young as six are joining the site, that's when you realize that maaayyybe something should be done.

Semi-related, if you are younger than thirteen but act mature enough to be mistaken for someone older, and there was an age limit, you could VERY LIKELY lie about your age and get away with it. So if you're mature as you say you are, couldn't you theoretically lie about your age and still be around?

All I'm saying is, even though I know for a fact that not all young people are immature and incapable of handling the site, it's much better to have an age limit to keep very young children from joining without parental guidance (which is what has happened most of the time, because these children would give out their personal information on game pages) than to let this keep happening.

Of course, that's only one reason, but I feel it's the most important :V

I don't think people of the age of six have ever joined.
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
#91 Posted: 10:39:59 25/03/2015
Let's not pretend to be saints here, I lied about my age plenty of times because I didn't feel like waiting 3 years to join some places. But being the chronic lurker I am everywhere outside of DS,I was kind of aware that I was being given something I didn't deserve and only used the opened up forums to read them and not post until much,much later.
But this place isn't a virtual pet site or Pokémon MMO, you don't have much to lose - the problem is cases like Gnarly of people doxxing themselves because they really won't know better, and you can't expect people to just leave them be, especially if they're somewhat annoyed by the kid's behavior. You have no filters, and you have no age restrictions(at least as a gnorcable offense), and quite a few mods are in similar timezones meaning there are some blind spots... There's nothing to rely on but the users' willingess to report and attempt to stop them, which is throwing admin/mod jobs into people with much less authority. Cue cries of forum police.
---
#92 Posted: 15:14:36 25/03/2015
Quote: Spyrobaro
Quote: 14056

While I do agree (still being quite young myself and having joined when I was eleven), at the same time there are plenty of reasons to be supportive of the age limit.

Of course not every young person is too immature to handle the site. That assumption is ridiculous. But when people who are as young as six are joining the site, that's when you realize that maaayyybe something should be done.

Semi-related, if you are younger than thirteen but act mature enough to be mistaken for someone older, and there was an age limit, you could VERY LIKELY lie about your age and get away with it. So if you're mature as you say you are, couldn't you theoretically lie about your age and still be around?

All I'm saying is, even though I know for a fact that not all young people are immature and incapable of handling the site, it's much better to have an age limit to keep very young children from joining without parental guidance (which is what has happened most of the time, because these children would give out their personal information on game pages) than to let this keep happening.

Of course, that's only one reason, but I feel it's the most important :V

I think there has been some
---
#93 Posted: 17:50:39 25/03/2015

I doubt it. The known youngest user was Eevee88.

And we had just yet another Gnarly incident. Ugh....
---
#94 Posted: 18:58:58 25/03/2015
Quote: Aura24

I doubt it. The known youngest user was Eevee88.

And we had just yet another Gnarly incident. Ugh....

Weird.
---
#95 Posted: 19:06:43 25/03/2015
Quote: Pixilism

i'm 5

But your not six
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#96 Posted: 19:51:13 25/03/2015
You know what? Dark52 should look here.
I am mature but I do get angry sometimes (twice) like when the gnarly incident happens I blocked Mezsuxelf.
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
#97 Posted: 20:59:19 25/03/2015
As one of the more vocal individuals about an age requirement (okay, about everything... but, specifically about the age thing now), I want to make clear *my* position once again, as not to get unfairly grouped in with some of the alternate suggestions being made.

It is my opinion that any age requrements put into place should be done in such a way to be fully compliant (to the best of this site's reasonable ability) with applicable laws and nothing more.

It is my opinion that any kind of age restriction should *NOT* be used in an attempt to filter content, to attempt to limit participation in the forums or to restrict forum abilities based on quality, perceived maturity or perceived age.
wavesorcerer14 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4861
#98 Posted: 03:14:40 27/03/2015
I am under the age of 13 and I'm mature- right?
---
"altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi."
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me