Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Is it worth it? [CLOSED]
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#1 Posted: 09:11:12 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
So as you all know all companions are on discount, so I spent my 500 or so gems on Gorm/Tuk, Gigantus and Cape Girl, and I just want to know if that's worth spending my gems on.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#2 Posted: 10:03:56 14/02/2015
Gorm and Tuk vs Gigantus awesomeness depends on how many Giants and Swopforce you have running around . All things being equal Gigantus is only half as good .

Cape girl is the gal you buy when you ran out of gem making companions and now have to turn to { once in a blue moon chance} gem making companion . Instant mob clearing is convenient .

If you have lots of Swopforce then your best purchase was Gorm and Tuk . They are worth full price in my opinion . They change your game . If you have enough element swoppers to both stand guard against sugar bats and Mount Cloudbreak adventuring , you have a serious gold / gem milky cash cow . Before you go beddy bye send all your swoppers to Mount Cloudbreak < Sugarbat guards too > . If you dont have Softpaw yet save up for him next time . < Doubles your Bats >

What was your other purchase options ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Qanai Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#3 Posted: 15:20:38 14/02/2015
My kids were holding out for diggs but he didn't return this weekend with all the other companions
Skarlarth Green Sparx Gems: 477
#4 Posted: 15:27:10 14/02/2015
Quote: Qanai
My kids were holding out for diggs but he didn't return this weekend with all the other companions

My wife was too. There is still hope he could show up tomorrow... although the half off sale would be over then, but keep hope alive!
---
Activate ID: Skarlarth
Wife's Activate ID: Mirabeeth
KLM8325 Blue Sparx Gems: 905
#5 Posted: 15:59:32 14/02/2015
I picked up Mage. I had all ready did everything else for the award, so at 50% off I had the gems.
BUGMom05 Blue Sparx Gems: 729
#6 Posted: 17:36:09 14/02/2015
We got cape girl pretty early because we didn't always have enough skylander to spent several minutes clearing mobs. Plus she gives you a chance for gems. If you have capybara king already, then I say it was a good buy
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#7 Posted: 17:53:04 14/02/2015
I got Brock, Cape Girl, and Tuff Luck for the sale. I might get Tree Rex's #1 Fan as well, since I have both Tree Rex and Gnarly Tree Rex. Do you think I should get him?
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#8 Posted: 07:05:46 15/02/2015
#1 fans are always good to buy . In my first game i got them as freebees .
---
midas73 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1379
#9 Posted: 15:03:04 15/02/2015
I would say they're only a good buy if you have some adventure to send them on or other use for them. I don't use Zap, Spyro, Tree Rex or Hot Dog for anything any more. Instead, I send swappers and trappers on those missions.
---
Activate username: "midas73". I am on a gifting hiatus so be warned...
#10 Posted: 22:40:34 15/02/2015
I always use those fella,s
---
#11 Posted: 03:56:39 16/02/2015
I barely use them, but I did notice that those characters leveled up pretty fast. What I liked most was having the fan when I first got the skylander and using the 12Hr mission overnight for a fast level up (you can use the 12hour mission from the beginning)
ABennett Blue Sparx Gems: 865
#12 Posted: 05:40:51 16/02/2015
Personally I don't think it's a good move to spend gems on any non-gem-earning companions until you have been able to purchase all of the gem-earning companions.

Once you have a solid gem income then Gorm/Tuk, Gigantus and Cape Girl are all good second tier companion purchases in my opinion. Cape Girl is perhaps at the bottom of the top tier because she does have a small gem-production chance.
#13 Posted: 09:09:51 16/02/2015
Not everything has to be about making gems . I am way more "lax" in favour of fun and "buy cause I feel like it" only about 2 levels behind our Chess Masters . All paths lead to Rome . This game is a long grind and having fun will keep your attention , Playing tactics will give you a slight advantage only . Sitting your bum down and farming multiple times daily is what this game wants .

Ma Boo does not give gems but he gives you Alter Ego advantage , emergency resources option if you run dry and of course gem valued goodies . He is a mini game in his own right , adds to wishing well gambling mini game . Compare him to Hyde , he is sort of a more interesting investment . That blanket child kept my sanity in check .

Except for the Tessa quest which my little bro demanded <sorry CapyKing > , I pretty much bought things that cost the least gems and favoured goodies that gave free resources . Hardly spent any gems except saved for tessa , about 5 or 6 months . At levels 1 - 30 ? saving for a 1500 buck discount companion is friggin boring . I felt like a Spartan . Bought Capy king after Tessa <imagine that > . He was too pricey or so my little brother thought . Forget the hundreds of chests that were opened Maboo and Hyde were deemed cheap enough to invest in .
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:10:56 16/02/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#14 Posted: 18:10:46 16/02/2015
You forget that some of us have fun by maximizing our tactical play! smilie
---
#15 Posted: 09:30:59 17/02/2015
You coughed up real cabbage for fake gems . Thats not tactics thats a cop out . smilie
---
#16 Posted: 14:02:09 17/02/2015
Many moons ago I bought a few of the 300 gems for $.99 specials they used to run. Not sure that's a cop out but it helped me get some giant houses and shrines (yeah, I think I used some of those gems to buy shrines--probably not the best expenditure). Also, I think it was fair of me to spend a few dollars on an actively supported game that I've spent so much time playing.

I frankly think everyone should do that (spend a few dollars on the game). That's the only way they'll keep supporting it.
---
HappyGamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1470
#17 Posted: 14:04:34 17/02/2015
Don't forget that, way back when, we didn't have all of the companions available (in fact, none at all for a while). There weren't nearly as many ways to speed up the process of the game and earn gems without spending some real cash.
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#18 Posted: 15:05:46 17/02/2015
I second what Midas and HappyGamer are saying. Sugar Bats alone are a huge source of "free" gems that simply didn't used to exist. No toy link towers. No occasional gems from clearing, no gem with every chest, no Hyde, and the only houses were a handful of giants houses. The main source of gems was leveling skylanders up. And there were no wishing weekends with past alter-egos in the well. If you wanted a missed alter-ego, your only chance was the high gem cost on the rare occasions that they were back available to buy.

Spending a few dollars to support a game that was giving me a great deal of enjoyment not only seemed like the right thing to do, but it also seemed, at the time, to be the only way to get some highly desirable items - for me, missed alter egos.
#19 Posted: 16:00:02 17/02/2015
Spend cash on fake gems , you feed them for a day. Spend cash on toys , 4 console games , 4 3DS games and you feed them for life .

Lost Islands was born for the sole purpose to advertise the Skylander franchise . I seriously doubt they could break even on just sales of gems alone. I am certain they prefer us to buy toys , toys and more toys .

You know what i had a great idea . I will Pm Orville and ask him . This old argument needs closure .
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:10:28 17/02/2015 by Dark fhoenix
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#20 Posted: 16:10:54 17/02/2015
That is my perspective, I fund them through figure purchases. I consider buying gems to be "cheating", which is fine if you want a quick leg up or want to grab something on sale, but to me it would be working outside the bounds of the game. That has sometimes meant missing things I wanted, but that is how games work. It isn't like the game is hard, and the only end game is the satisfaction of succeeding and having a well running kingdom. It isn't like getting gems allows me to play part of the game that isn't there, all it does is make some other part of the game quicker.
#21 Posted: 16:25:28 17/02/2015
Cheating is such a harsh word to use ....... <giggling>
---
#22 Posted: 16:30:27 17/02/2015
I guess my perspective is that, I've paid maybe $5-10 at most over the last few years to play this game. Did I have to spend it? No, but I did it when I wanted to pick up a limited time house, back when they didn't show up every couple of months on a sale or in the well. I don't think that a small expenditure like that is much at all for the hours of enjoyment. I bought the console game and figures so that my kids could play the game. The fact that those can be used to make this game easier is a bonus to me.

As for cheating, well I guess that's a matter of perspective. Since it is intentionally built into the game, I wouldn't call it cheating, but whatever. It's not like TT, which was clearly not intended to be used.
#23 Posted: 22:21:31 17/02/2015
Ahh just teasing a bit . You worked hard for you money , spend it as you like . smilie

Quote:
It's not like TT, which was clearly not intended to be used.

I have no idea what you mean .
---
Kiwipackabacka Blue Sparx Gems: 502
#24 Posted: 01:17:43 18/02/2015
Time Travel. changing the clock on your device to get into the future.
#25 Posted: 02:25:51 18/02/2015
Quote: arkhamhorrorfan

Spending a few dollars to support a game that was giving me a great deal of enjoyment not only seemed like the right thing to do, but it also seemed, at the time, to be the only way to get some highly desirable items - for me, missed alter egos.

Hubby feels the same way, many of the "free" online items from spybot and Wikipedia to freemium games he enjoys get a few of our dollars on a somewhat regular basis
#26 Posted: 16:46:57 19/02/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Ahh just teasing a bit . You worked hard for you money , spend it as you like . smilie

Quote:
It's not like TT, which was clearly not intended to be used.

I have no idea what you mean .

Humour is always taken as such and appreciated. smilie

Time Travel (TT) can be done with your device's clock but is not recommended as it can have some serious consequences if not done carefully. You can effectively go back and forth in time to collect from houses, sanctuaries, etc. many times with no real time passing. You can also pick up a lot of invaders this way. But it really seems to defeat the purpose of the game since it removes any challenge to finishing quests.
#27 Posted: 18:26:44 19/02/2015
best not to confuse with TT (trap team) which WAs intended for use

May that have been the source of the confusion?

Anniversary present was a 3-pack of massages and the first one is in 35 minutes...
Choccobo Green Sparx Gems: 242
#28 Posted: 04:17:36 20/02/2015
Been playing for about 5 months now and level 36. (Could be longer, I dunno). But I only JUST now purchased a gem pack for 1.99. I figure, I've paid that for worse games in the AppStore and I still enjoy this game so why not?

Funny thing is my hand was forced a bit since I was saving up for Diggs for sooooo long and had 1875 gems. Then in the recent update he was available today only! So I bit since I knew it would be awhile before he was there again.

Best 1.99 spent for this game. smilie
#29 Posted: 01:26:13 21/02/2015
good for you! great buy!
#30 Posted: 11:44:04 10/03/2015
I suppose i better start saving for ol Diggs too . I should make 2000 cabbage by Easter eezy peezy . Holding onto it is another question . I am a natural spend thrift that totally breaks if they cough up anything at 66 % or higher discount .
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:46:58 10/03/2015 by Dark fhoenix
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me