Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Why so serious? [CLOSED]
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#51 Posted: 16:15:48 26/01/2015
Yes i agree with defpally....blind boxing wouldn't work...i just saw a little kid the other day freaking out about something behind a glass case(not skylanders btw) and keep draging mama back to look at and wanting it like crazy. Kids are visual...we as adults know whats inside, but kids have to see it and touch it. Thats why a lot of toys are in open box's now so the kids can touch the item inside. The clear plastic sheeting is all but disappeared....only a few things still have them.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
crstofer Emerald Sparx Gems: 4446
#52 Posted: 16:19:06 26/01/2015
Hmmm. Last time I went to the toy store I could see what I'm buying.

Got Jokes !! What I'm referring to is the little blind boxes with surprises in them whether it be a lego figure, spongebob, disney, skylanders, etc.. They list the chances of getting certain figures. For example there categorized in TRU by the different aisles such as these boxes are in the marvel figure aisle, lego in lego aisles, etc.. There becoming available everywhere..

kidrobt & dunny are sum BIG ones..

www.blindboxes.com
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:20:00 26/01/2015 by crstofer
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#53 Posted: 16:27:36 26/01/2015 | Topic Creator
It's a shame that "contest" and "giveaway" laws are so insane - my idea was to have a system where you register the figure to your Skylanders Universe account and they could select winners of "chase" figures based on this. Of course, they killed Skylanders Universe too...
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#54 Posted: 21:15:12 26/01/2015
Quote:

Minecraft Danglers
Adventure time tin
Lego Minifigs
Marvel, DC, Disney, Game of thrones, Tranformers blind box figures and there a many more all close to the price of a core skylander.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#55 Posted: 21:57:25 26/01/2015
Quote: mantez
Quote:

Minecraft Danglers
Adventure time tin
Lego Minifigs
Marvel, DC, Disney, Game of thrones, Tranformers blind box figures and there a many more all close to the price of a core skylander.

It has nothing to do with price. All of those are aimed at collectors or impulse purchases (Minecraft danglers, Lego minifigs), not excited kids. Skylanders are primarily aimed at kids.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#56 Posted: 21:58:48 26/01/2015
Quote: crstofer
Blind Boxes are BIG sellers in todays market for the kids !! Because they like the surprises ! Blind Boxes are being done for everything toy related now a days !!

I'm a kid. I hate surprises and always have. I hate blind bags and I really hope that you are being sarcastic.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#57 Posted: 22:19:14 26/01/2015
He is speaking of kids under 10 that don't go on forums.
---
bye
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#58 Posted: 22:20:43 26/01/2015
Quote: spyroflame0487
Lol, it kind of reminds me of the whole scalper issue too. Everyone is very quick to jump on scalpers for taking new figures (and maybe not so much any more with Skylanders at least) but it's hard to claim that it was 100% without a doubt a scalper in every single instance. It could be the store actually sold them out to people who are fans and actually wanted them before you got to the store. Or, an employee snatched them up for their own collection/friends/friend's children who wanted them.

It has not happened yet but I can imagine that if I manage to find a cache of Kaos traps, I will look like that. The trouble is that I would simply be buying them to help others I have met online - most of whom also have kids. I would most likely get called a scalper even though I would not make a cent of profit from it.

Quote: defpally
Would never work. Kids get more excited when they can actually see the figures, that's pretty standard marketing for action figures. As much as us adults enjoy Skylanders, blind packages and boxes would work out great for us (you could retain the box for display and still use the figures if that's your thing) - but the target audience is the kids, and they sell loads more to the kids that run up and get excited and have their parents get them one.

I would hate blind packaging as I would not want to get a fig which was lazily painted.

But, back to the OP... The premise is bogus as when UncleBob gets a fig, it deprives me of the opportunity of going to the store he went to and getting that exact same fig - irrespective of the distance I would have to travel (from Australia). The moral of the story is that nobody is allowed to buy any except me!

Jokes aside, there is a term for this: tall poppy syndrome.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#59 Posted: 06:07:01 27/01/2015
First off, you have a nice collection, and it's really people like you who are the reason that Skylanders is still a thing. Without fans who want to buy all the figures, this series would have been over with years ago.

Second, I think people really overestimate the effect of scalpers. Although there will always be people who try to buy rare things to resell, their effect on Skylanders only matters when there is actually a shortage of a certain figure. I got into Skylanders originally at the end of Giants era, then quit buying/playing a few months after Swap Force. Now I have come back it again. Despite the massive gaps of time where I wasn't actively buying figures, I feel that I have paid less for Skylanders than most people even though much of my collection is from eBay. I got most SSA figures for around $5 on the secondhand market. I got the games on massive discount. I just got Trap team for $30 total by buying it as a Wii U code and loose starter figures and portal. I've not paid more than retail price for more than a few figures. Unless you're going for a Kaos Trap or a rare variant, scalpers don't matter at all. I think a lot of people who get mad must not be willing to search online shops for the toys they want. Heck, I just picked up the light and dark level sets from Amazon for the normal retail price today.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me