Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Addition to Trap Team portal [CLOSED]
dmfp Green Sparx Gems: 246
#1 Posted: 17:02:34 23/01/2015 | Topic Creator
So as a woodworking hobbyist, I decided I definitely needed to add a little something to my portal. Here's my first idea! Not sure if I'll stain it or paint it to match the stone on the portal. In the center, under the portal, I'm gonna attempt one of those "infinity mirrors". Might even take out the clear plastic of the portal itself to make a better view of the infinity mirror. I'll include a picture of one, for those who have never seen one. The hexagons on the bottom are, of course, to hold traps. Five on each side, and one in front for Kaos. Just thought I'd post to see if any more experienced Portal Masters had any suggestions, ideas, or comments. I should add, this is just a quick, rough drawing that kinda formed itself while the pencil was on the paper. Whenever I get around to building it, I'll post pictures.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Farlo Blue Sparx Gems: 516
#2 Posted: 17:10:27 23/01/2015
*mind blow* That's a really good idea! how about adding room to put figures your not using?
---
You don't know what you've done!
smilie
SkyScratch Blue Sparx Gems: 550
#3 Posted: 17:16:24 23/01/2015
I love it, would you consider selling them?
I'd also recommend an area for figures
#4 Posted: 17:18:58 23/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Farlo- I did consider that, but I'm currently up to 17 and getting new ones all the time. If I did that, I'd have to keep adding on and adding on and it would eventually take up my entire coffee table. Maybe I should just build a whole new coffee table for nothing but Skylanders! lol, but maybe not. I've already got a section of my entertainment center devoted to them.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
#5 Posted: 17:20:50 23/01/2015 | Topic Creator
SkyScratch- We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to make the first one. I do work full time, often out of town, and have a wife to keep entertained. Finding free time for projects like that can be difficult sometimes.
---
#6 Posted: 17:21:11 23/01/2015
I was thinking just an addition for like 1 of each element

I know the feeling, I never really have time for myself anymore
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:22:04 23/01/2015 by SkyScratch
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#7 Posted: 17:51:12 23/01/2015
It looks like a great idea...im a master craftsman also...was going to build a custom trap box when i had the funds an the time...lol. The infinity mirrors is a great idea...forgot about those things...lol.

Quote:
Maybe I should just build a whole new coffee table for nothing but Skylanders! lol, but maybe not.

Yeah i think your wifie wouldn't like that to much...lol. And my coffee table already looks store front display. smilie
[User Posted Image]
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#8 Posted: 01:29:53 24/01/2015
Quote: dmfp
Farlo- I did consider that, but I'm currently up to 17 and getting new ones all the time. If I did that, I'd have to keep adding on and adding on and it would eventually take up my entire coffee table. Maybe I should just build a whole new coffee table for nothing but Skylanders! lol, but maybe not. I've already got a section of my entertainment center devoted to them.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

I really need to buy a new tv console at some point. We got a electric fireplace one at cost a couple years back, while its nice to see fire and turn it on sometimes in winter it really is a waste of space and id personally would rather have shelves to store items on etc.
legoswimmer1211 Green Sparx Gems: 145
#9 Posted: 18:35:43 25/01/2015
I really like your idea. The infinity mirror is going to be a really cool touch! (at first, I thought it had something to do with Disney Infinity, lel) The only thing I can think of is adding more trap slots so you can have one of each element. I'm not the woodworker, though, you are. Obviously, you'll know if that would work at all or not. I'm looking forward to seeing it done!
---
If someone ever made Skylanders into a MOBA, I'd be ok with that.
#10 Posted: 04:39:45 26/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I'll have a total of 11 slots for traps. Since I posted this though, I've kinda scrapped the idea. Now I've ordered a second portal that I'm going to tear all the guts out of so I can build the whole thing myself! It'll probably still look similar to my original design. On a side note, I've updated my collection! As of tonight, I've got a trap master of every element except for light, and a trap for every element except light and Kaos! Not so impressed with Gusto though. My favorite trap masters are Bushwhack, Wallop, Jawbreaker, and Nightmare, but her really only because she's dark element, and a centaur.
---
#11 Posted: 16:29:59 26/01/2015
I also was thinking of a new display for the portal since it dosen't fit to well on the Giants display...not to mech'in i would like to plug it in instead of having to keep clearing it off to replace the rechargable batterys all the time. I do like your rough draft...might do something like it for mine.
---
bgnome Green Sparx Gems: 346
#12 Posted: 17:42:22 26/01/2015
Yeah, I'll have a total of 11 slots for traps. Since I posted this though, I've kinda scrapped the idea. Now I've ordered a second portal that I'm going to tear all the guts out of so I can build the whole thing myself! It'll probably still look similar to my original design. On a side note, I've updated my collection! As of tonight, I've got a trap master of every element except for light, and a trap for every element except light and Kaos! Not so impressed with Gusto though. My favorite trap masters are Bushwhack, Wallop, Jawbreaker, and Nightmare, but her really only because she's dark element, and a centaur.

Gutting a Traptanium portal and redoing it as an infinity mirror would be pretty neat. You could try to incorporate RGB LEDs and use the portal hardware to control them.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#13 Posted: 17:54:49 26/01/2015
Something like this would be really neat - but I'd worry that the next game would be incompatible with the portal and all that work would be for nothing :(
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#14 Posted: 21:55:13 26/01/2015
...have a wife to keep entertained.

This makes no sense? Whilst you are constructing this, she can be playing Skylanders...
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#15 Posted: 00:56:03 27/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah bgnome, I got two 16.4' strands of RGB LEDs for my entertainment center and only used one. I was planning on wiring them into my new portal. Unclebob, I'm not so worried about that. It'll still look great on a shelf, and that'll give me an opportunity to build another! Besides, those little projects are like my passion. I love stuff like that. I spent like 15-20 hours on a box for Cards Against Humanity, and I think I want to do another similar to it for my Skylanders traps. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. Chaosworrior..... If only I were so lucky... I spent like 6+ years trying to get her to play WoW with me, before she convinced me it was "in my best interest" to /uninstall.. I got her to play one chapter of Skylanders with me, and that was as far as it went. Video games just aren't her thing. Great idea though! lol

Almost forgot! My new portal came in today! Can't wait to start tearing it apart! And for those who were wondering, maybe.... You can't use both portals at once, lol. Thought it'd give it a try. It only read the one plugged into the front of the Xbox, pretending the one in back wasn't there. The one I usually use is plugged into a USB extension cable on the back of tghe Xbox, which is ran under the rug to the coffee table, which I thought was an incredible idea. lol

Found some unfinished pictures of my Cards Against Humanity box.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:00:15 27/01/2015 by dmfp
#16 Posted: 00:59:56 27/01/2015
Quote: bgnome

Gutting a Traptanium portal and redoing it as an infinity mirror would be pretty neat. You could try to incorporate RGB LEDs and use the portal hardware to control them.

I was thinking of the same exact thing to do. smilie But Uncle Bob has a point...the older portals have never been compatible to the new games.
---
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#17 Posted: 01:25:47 27/01/2015
That is a spiffy CAH box. :D
#18 Posted: 01:29:28 27/01/2015
That box is beautiful, nice work
bgnome Green Sparx Gems: 346
#19 Posted: 01:30:46 27/01/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
Quote: bgnome

I was thinking of the same exact thing to do. smilie But Uncle Bob has a point...the older portals have never been compatible to the new games.

Judging by what the inside of my tablet portal looks like, the LEDs for the ring were on separate boards and the RFID antenna looks pretty much the same as any other portal. With some forethought, you could wire up disconnects, i.e. Molex connectors, and be able to swap in a board from a future game without much difficulty.
Petrafire Green Sparx Gems: 440
#20 Posted: 01:49:42 27/01/2015
ya shouldnt be too hard to swap in a new board
#21 Posted: 07:28:20 27/01/2015
True...swapping in the newer board useing Molex connectors would be rather easy.

Also nice woodworking skill there bro...that box looks real nice.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:29:52 27/01/2015 by Phoenix_Lord
#22 Posted: 23:53:24 08/02/2015 | Topic Creator
So I decided against gutting it and building a whole new housing, and went mostly back to my original idea. Here's progress for day one. All those tiny pieces are sooo tedious and time consuming. Try to ignore how sloppy it looks, I've got a ton of work left to do. It'll clean up quite nicely.
[User Posted Image]
---
#23 Posted: 02:05:36 09/02/2015
Coming alone nicely dmfp...and yes im a woodworker also it will clean up very nice...very good work on all those small quarter round wedged pieces. *thumbs up*
---
#24 Posted: 00:38:07 10/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Day two.
[User Posted Image]
---
#25 Posted: 21:18:17 10/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Well I've made more progress but I don't want to spam this page with all the pictures. Instead, for anyone who's curious, here's a link to all the pictures I have.

Oh alright, never mind then. lol

Here's how far I made it today.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:02:41 11/02/2015 by dmfp
CTFdad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1439
#26 Posted: 21:42:51 10/02/2015
Very cool idea. Can't wait to see the finished product smilie
---
"Shut up and take my money already!"
#27 Posted: 01:51:26 11/02/2015
Well I've made more progress but I don't want to spam this page with all the pictures. Instead, for anyone who's curious, here's a link to all the pictures I have.
Edit:[Link removed for safety reasons]

That is what the thread is for....it's even in the title..having to surf around your Facebook page is not a good idea....go ahead an post the pictures here.
Edit: Looking realy cool bro....can't wait to see the finished portal display.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:32:07 12/02/2015 by Phoenix_Lord
skylanderaddik Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#28 Posted: 11:14:13 12/02/2015
Pretty sweet!
---
Check out my sites: skylanderaddictsblog.com, facebook.com/skylanderaddicts, twitter.com/skylanderaddict, instagram@skylanderaddicts
Wakeup Yellow Sparx Gems: 1227
#29 Posted: 12:08:05 13/02/2015
Beautiful work and design!
#30 Posted: 16:52:01 08/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Finally got a chance to work on my portal again! Got some LEDs in it!
[User Posted Image]
---
#31 Posted: 18:20:44 08/03/2015
Looking real good bro....keep it up. smilie ...lol. Can't wait to see the finished display.
Wish i could work on the things i want to build...but money is real tight now do to the garnishment of my wages from the General Sessions Court.
---
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#32 Posted: 18:30:22 08/03/2015
That's amazing!
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#33 Posted: 18:41:33 08/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Here's a couple more shots.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#34 Posted: 00:26:01 09/03/2015
damn, that looks good. im willing to bet if you can make more you can sell them super easy.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#35 Posted: 03:13:35 09/03/2015
Very cool project! Thanks for sharing...
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#36 Posted: 14:54:05 09/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah selling them would be great, but so far I've got maybe 30+ hours of work in it. I haven't spent more than about $25 on parts, since I had all the scrap wood in my garage. The only hard part is finding the time to do it. I've still got a good 20 or so hours left to work on it before it's finished, so about 50 hours total (I'm guessing), and I started this thing just over a month ago. So that'd be the only thing keeping me from making more. I've got too much work to do and not enough time to do it. I still need to build my wife this huge fancy bed I drew up before our anniversary next month... /facepalm
---
#37 Posted: 15:03:13 09/03/2015
I still need to build my wife this huge fancy bed I drew up before our anniversary next month... /facepalm

smilie Yeah ...your in trouble... *duck an cover* smilie
---
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#38 Posted: 19:29:08 09/03/2015
When finished, make a mold from it and make fibreglass copies. Sell them.
That or try rotocasting with plastic/2part resin.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#39 Posted: 21:19:56 09/03/2015
thats actually a really good idea, if he has the experience doing it. After all i think thats how they do mass production of things similar to what he is building. Prototype in wood and the copies are plaster or plastic made to look like wood. Only thing i can build stuff out of is legos lol.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#40 Posted: 21:30:58 09/03/2015
Wow... That's amazing!~ Great Work! smilie
dinodig1767 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1245
#41 Posted: 23:22:33 09/03/2015
This is amazing! Are you still gonna do the moving light thing underneath?
---
Check my website out! http://skylandersinventoryadventure.weebly.com
It's about skylanders(PM me if interested in the custom section)
Updated 8/24/14
#42 Posted: 02:32:16 10/03/2015
Thats is exactly what i was going to do with my custom Trap Box i'm wanting to build Pyrofer....once i can aford to build it. :/

Quote: dinodig1767
This is amazing! Are you still gonna do the moving light thing underneath?

smilie ...moving light thing? ...OH!...you mean the infinity mirror. smilie
---
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#43 Posted: 03:04:18 10/03/2015
You have a gift dude. I'd I had the tech I'd make a custom trap box that I could control which traps light up.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#44 Posted: 05:49:44 11/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks everybody! I can't wait to finish it up and show it off!
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me