Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Weird experience at Target this morning.
Page 1 of 1
Weird experience at Target this morning. [CLOSED]
Dahvoo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3914
#1 Posted: 17:12:07 18/12/2014 | Topic Creator
This morning I was at Target asking the electronics sales person to check and see if they had any more traps in the back that weren't out, as all they had out were wave 1 and 2 traps. I was looking for wave 3 traps. The price checker said there were more in their store room. I had purchased wave 3 Trap Masters there yesterday, so I was hopeful they did have wave 3 traps but hadn't put them out because their pegs were already stocked almost full with wave 1 and 2 traps.

The first person walkie-talkied someone to check, and said they had none in the back. After I pointed out the price checker says they do, the first person went to go look themselves.

As I was waiting around the electronics section by myself, a manager type guy passed by and asked if I needed help. I explained I was waiting for the clerk to come back with an item from the back and explained to him the traps, hoping he might be able to help. He looked at the wave 2 trap I had showed the first clerk as an example, and asked me how many I was looking for. I told him eight of them, and he asked if they were collectible. Before I could answer, he said that if they were collectible, he might not be able to sell them to me. Surprised, I asked why.

He said Target has a policy not to sell collectibles to collectors. I asked him to explain that, and he said some people will go to stores everyday as soon as they open and try to go through their inventory of collectibles like Hot Wheels, and sometimes fight over who got what first. So as a policy, Target doesn't support that. I told him I agreed with that, and left it at that while continuing to wait for the clerk to come back. I didn't feel like I needed to explain or defend myself, as I don't do any of what he described. I only buy one of each Skylander toy for my son and I, and I'm at the store where I've been told they are selling these particular items and have asked them to check and see if they have them.

The manager guy waited another minute, then left. The first clerk came back with the Wave 3 traps and I paid for the eight I wanted (one of each wave 3 trap) and left. In the back of my mind I had a feeling like I needed to leave as quickly as possible or I was going to get busted for stealing or something.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#2 Posted: 17:22:33 18/12/2014
I remember when they started that policy back in the '90s. That was the beginning of people wanting to go in and buy up action figures. When they started releasing new Star Wars figures in 1995, it suddenly started an action figure collection frenzy. I started collecting Star Wars figures and ran into that problem a lot. They limited the number of figures you could buy (usually 2 per person). I constantly got bombarded by a Walmart employee once. I even got accused of stealing Hot Wheels out of an unopened case that was sitting out, even though I didn't collect Hot Wheels (at least, at the time) and the cashier that was checking us out told her that someone had just went through with a couple of Hot Wheels. In order for us to get the Star Wars figures we wanted, we had to be choosy about which register we went to, as she wouldn't allow us to buy more than 2 (maybe even 1). It didn't matter that they were all different. One time, we checked out in the automotive section and exited through the garden section. She saw us walking out, stopped us and checked out bags. When she found out we had bought more than our limit, she was irate, wanting to know who checked us out. We wouldn't turn them in, but she could tell by the register number on the receipt.

What got me was that she did all that after we gave her a tip on what was really going on at the store. We knew that there was an issue of figures not making it to the shelf, and we heard the local comic book shop owner talking about having a guy working at the store that would load them in his truck at the back door. We told that Walmart employee about it, knowing she was trying to find out what was going on. After that, she knew we collected Star Wars stuff, so she watched us like a hawk.
Milla4Prez66 Green Sparx Gems: 101
#3 Posted: 17:23:20 18/12/2014
That is pretty weird, but good for you to get the stuff. I need to ask an employee if they have any Wave 3 stuff in the back and if they will sell them to me today. I think they recently got a shipment of a Wave 2 trap master box because the shelves are stocked full with Head Rush, Lob-Star, Bushwhack, Nitro Krypt King, etc. I'm hearing several stories about people getting new stuff at Target and I'm jealous haha.
#4 Posted: 17:26:27 18/12/2014
Quote: obidawsn
I remember when they started that policy back in the '90s. That was the beginning of people wanting to go in and buy up action figures. When they started releasing new Star Wars figures in 1995, it suddenly started an action figure collection frenzy. I started collecting Star Wars figures and ran into that problem a lot. They limited the number of figures you could buy (usually 2 per person). I constantly got bombarded by a Walmart employee once. I even got accused of stealing Hot Wheels out of an unopened case that was sitting out, even though I didn't collect Hot Wheels (at least, at the time) and the cashier that was checking us out told her that someone had just went through with a couple of Hot Wheels. In order for us to get the Star Wars figures we wanted, we had to be choosy about which register we went to, as she wouldn't allow us to buy more than 2 (maybe even 1). It didn't matter that they were all different. One time, we checked out in the automotive section and exited through the garden section. She saw us walking out, stopped us and checked out bags. When she found out we had bought more than our limit, she was irate, wanting to know who checked us out. We wouldn't turn them in, but she could tell by the register number on the receipt.

What got me was that she did all that after we gave her a tip on what was really going on at the store. We knew that there was an issue of figures not making it to the shelf, and we heard the local comic book shop owner talking about having a guy working at the store that would load them in his truck at the back door. We told that Walmart employee about it, knowing she was trying to find out what was going on. After that, she knew we collected Star Wars stuff, so she watched us like a hawk.

That's ridiculous, if I had a manager demanding to look through my stuff after I've checked out and exited I would never go back to that store.
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#5 Posted: 17:28:15 18/12/2014
That's ridiculous. Target has no such policy and can't refuse to sell you something because it is considered "collectible". Anything can be deemed a collectible. I can see them not allowing employees to bring out boxes for customers to go through, but not refusing to sell "Collectibles to collectors".
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#6 Posted: 17:43:42 18/12/2014
Quote: Milla4Prez66
That's ridiculous, if I had a manager demanding to look through my stuff after I've checked out and exited I would never go back to that store.

It's not so ridiculous. It happens every time you exit a BJs or Sam's Club, they validate your receipt against what you bought. Partially to check and make sure employees are ringing up everything, partially to validate they didn't double ring something up, and lastly to check for theft. If a cashier is violating policy, then it is something they want to know about - and if you did something sly to get around a policy they can ban you from the store. Anytime I'm at TRU and employees ring something up that hasn't been put out, I always make sure they aren't going to get in trouble for it - a toy isn't worth costing someone their job, particularly if they are friendly and helpful. As a matter of fact, my wife sent a plate of fresh baked cookies to the TRU employee last Christmas who always gives me a hand finding Skylanders that might not be put out yet.

As far as a "No collectibles for collectors", that sort of a poor choice of name. It's more of a policy against scalpers and collectors that attempt to clean out their stock prior to being put on the shelf. I doubt they really mind if you get one out of a fresh case, but they don't want someone cleaning out whole cases of them - it frustrates other customers. Sometimes I wish TRU were a little more proactive on this policy - they have a few people that clean them out of the rare Amiibos as soon as they come in. I'm not that into collecting those, but there are a couple I wouldn't have minded picking up. My friend offered to let me know/hold one, but I don't want them bad enough to worry about it.
Kinson420 Blue Sparx Gems: 610
#7 Posted: 17:44:57 18/12/2014
Many of my local targets have signs on landers, di, Amiibo, and even hot wheels limiting purchase to 2 of any item as theu are "collectibles". My main target has even put up a sign in electronics stating they cannot look in the back for things now
#8 Posted: 17:47:44 18/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Kind of wish I had taken my time to look at the traps closely. The fire and earth totem traps I bought have small splatters on random places of what looks like the acrylic glue they use to hold these together.

At least it's only noticeable if you take a really good look at the traps up close, nothing your average kid is going to notice or care about.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
Huntrz2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#9 Posted: 18:01:32 18/12/2014
Dahvoo where are you located?
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#10 Posted: 18:08:49 18/12/2014
Quote: defpally
Quote: Milla4Prez66

It's not so ridiculous. It happens every time you exit a BJs or Sam's Club, they validate your receipt against what you bought. Partially to check and make sure employees are ringing up everything, partially to validate they didn't double ring something up, and lastly to check for theft. If a cashier is violating policy, then it is something they want to know about - and if you did something sly to get around a policy they can ban you from the store. Anytime I'm at TRU and employees ring something up that hasn't been put out, I always make sure they aren't going to get in trouble for it - a toy isn't worth costing someone their job, particularly if they are friendly and helpful. As a matter of fact, my wife sent a plate of fresh baked cookies to the TRU employee last Christmas who always gives me a hand finding Skylanders that might not be put out yet.

As far as a "No collectibles for collectors", that sort of a poor choice of name. It's more of a policy against scalpers and collectors that attempt to clean out their stock prior to being put on the shelf. I doubt they really mind if you get one out of a fresh case, but they don't want someone cleaning out whole cases of them - it frustrates other customers. Sometimes I wish TRU were a little more proactive on this policy - they have a few people that clean them out of the rare Amiibos as soon as they come in. I'm not that into collecting those, but there are a couple I wouldn't have minded picking up. My friend offered to let me know/hold one, but I don't want them bad enough to worry about it.

Except validation at these stores is pretty poor. Every time I shop somewhere that requires they "check" the receipt, it's an elderly person with a highliter. You hand it to them and they mark it. Two seconds and no actual checking.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
#11 Posted: 18:13:10 18/12/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm in Southern California.
---
#12 Posted: 18:15:27 18/12/2014
I know some stores do that, but from his story, he was leaving the store when he was stopped by a manager who singled him out to go through his stuff. That's different than someone going through receipts before exit. Which very few stores actually do these days and the ones that do usually just have an elderly person marking the receipt with a highlighter like czs said. Maybe it's because I work at a place that highly values customer service and satisfaction, but I'd prefer to avoid a business that will want to go through my stuff because they don't trust me or something.
PlayableMoogle Gold Sparx Gems: 2446
#13 Posted: 19:09:12 18/12/2014
Unlike a lot of the complaints I see on here, I agree wholeheartedly that you have a legitimate beef with this. I would call corporate and complain, to be honest. If you have a name of the manager to provide them with, I think that would help, too.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#14 Posted: 19:10:18 18/12/2014
I don't have a problem letting someone look through my purchase before I leave, but not once I'm out the door and the parking lot. Of course, if I decline, then that person would just assume I stole something. That could be considered a worker going after someone for theft and I thought stores didn't do that.
Andy1239 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1449
#15 Posted: 19:12:21 18/12/2014
Weird! So whose grandma is having a baby?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:57 18/12/2014 by Andy1239
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#16 Posted: 20:05:50 18/12/2014
Quote: czs716
Except validation at these stores is pretty poor. Every time I shop somewhere that requires they "check" the receipt, it's an elderly person with a highliter. You hand it to them and they mark it. Two seconds and no actual checking.

You would be surprised at how good they are at it. The one at my BJs identified an item I was double charged for she caught and saved me some money and she was telling me how they do it so quickly. They have a trick to it.
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#17 Posted: 22:49:38 18/12/2014
I think this policy may vary from store to store <.< I havent been informed of this policy (but no on tells me anything anyways) I know that all my LODs and team leads dont care as long as the stuff is being sold. We dont like "scalpers or resellers" and we will limit purchases for those who are known to do so but other than that i havent heard anything on collectibles.
---
Praise Helix!!!
#18 Posted: 23:37:58 18/12/2014
My case wasn't even as we were walking out the door. She approached us as we were checking out. We probably could have had her job for falsely accusing us. It's policy (maybe even law) that they can't accuse you of stealing until you actually leave the store. The real issue I had was that she still kept accusing us after we proved we didn't even touch the Hot Wheels saying, "I'll get you one of these days." Unless you mean the time she checked our bags at the garden center. I didn't have a problem with them checking the bags. It was that we were being targeted to see if we bought more than 1 or 2 figures. I could understand limiting someone from buying them out, but she was being really strict. If there was a new wave of figures (meaning probably 5-8 new figures), we couldn't buy one of each. We could only buy 1 period. It was a stupid policy. And only enforced by her.

My point was that sometimes policies like this may be true, but some managers like to be jerks and make it stricter than it should be. I was glad there was something keeping the true scalpers from buying everything up, but when it actually limits other customers (the real collectors the policy is supposed to protect), it goes too far.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#19 Posted: 23:50:01 18/12/2014
Simple task...just don't ever clue the unknown in on Skylanders being collectible. It's all subjective anyway. Some may think a Kaos trap is collectible as it is rare for the holiday season (although soon to be a shelf warmer with future shipments) while others may argue Ghost Roaster is a collectible since it is rare now and for the foreseeable future. I don't see anybody going to bat that a wave 1 water trap, Lightcore Hex, or Legendary Zoo Lou is collectible. I think they picture the eager beaver scalper coming in to wipe the shelf of collectibles or the season's hot toy looking to make a quick buck as somebody they might want to combat. Quite honestly, isn't that shelf clearing unsavory type the exact kind which will be out in some areas this Sunday looking to capitalize off the light/dark expansion packs? I can picture them sitting and salivating at their computers having the buy-it-now's set up with headlines like "in hand with rush shipping for Christmas."
vinzclortho37 Blue Sparx Gems: 949
#20 Posted: 23:52:07 18/12/2014
Just dropped in to say thanks - I got all 3 new Trap Masters at Target in Alpharetta, Ga about an hour ago.
---
Skylanders Plugs!
Pics coming soon!
PurpleSnurple Yellow Sparx Gems: 1264
#21 Posted: 01:47:51 19/12/2014
I guess I'm lucky then cause my area doesn't care at all about buying a lot of any item. smilie They just want sales. I can even do it over the phone at TRU and have them hold it til I pick it up later. I've walked in with a friend (not me) the other night who loaded up his cart with the entire stock of a hot toy. They didn't even bat an eye, even price matched them.
Huntrz2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#22 Posted: 04:08:12 19/12/2014
Quote: vinzclortho37
Just dropped in to say thanks - I got all 3 new Trap Masters at Target in Alpharetta, Ga about an hour ago.

Cool hopefully VA will get this stuff soon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:09:43 19/12/2014 by Huntrz2
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#23 Posted: 04:13:05 19/12/2014
This is the first account where I heard someone was able to get all 8 traps. At most I've heard that 4 of the 8 were available. It looks like Target is the better store for traps in the short term.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#24 Posted: 04:27:08 19/12/2014
I hate Target anyway. The only reason I go there is to get exclusive figures. I do that VERY begrudgingly.

Years ago they kicked the Toys for Tots program out and they don't support our military or veterans.

Sure they pay "lip service" to the media about the military and veterans, but their actions or lack thereof speak louder.
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:28:10 19/12/2014 by INTIMIDAT3R
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#25 Posted: 04:29:43 19/12/2014
It's good business sense to be a good local community supporter, but there's no "must do" that business MUST do these things. Of course, as you do, you can respond in kind to this or their business practices and not give them business. That's the great thing about the few threads left in America...freedom of association....most of the time smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
AgentTerror Green Sparx Gems: 475
#26 Posted: 04:59:55 19/12/2014
Quote: Huntrz2
Cool hopefully VA will get this stuff soon.

I'm in VA and found all 3 trap masters at a local Target, by asking them to check the back, and telling them the box would be marked with W3.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#27 Posted: 05:19:25 19/12/2014
Once I was at Target trying to pick up a Outlaw Brawl and Chain Trap (the single pack). So I went up to the register to purchase it and the cashier said "sorry you cannot buy this item alone". When I asked her why she simply stated "It is only to be sold to those who buy a starter pack and an additional figure". I was absolutely shocked and just left seeing it was no point in getting in an argument with a target employee.
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#28 Posted: 06:42:22 19/12/2014
Quote: Windumup
Once I was at Target trying to pick up a Outlaw Brawl and Chain Trap (the single pack). So I went up to the register to purchase it and the cashier said "sorry you cannot buy this item alone". When I asked her why she simply stated "It is only to be sold to those who buy a starter pack and an additional figure". I was absolutely shocked and just left seeing it was no point in getting in an argument with a target employee.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."--- My Dad, 1986
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#29 Posted: 09:46:01 19/12/2014

I remember when Giants came out and JB Hifi (Aussie electronics chain) had a GITD Fright Rider which you could only buy if you bought the game. I bought the game and fig and then promptly returned the game - as the fig was a separately invoiced item on the receipt, there was nothing that they could do about it.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#30 Posted: 15:38:04 19/12/2014

You usually have 3 attack methods. First, try to purchase in electronics. If turned down, go to front registers and pick out the cashier who probably knows zilch about Skylanders (elderly or minority or trainee or clueless high school kid). Then, if all else fails, there's always self checkout. Unless there's a register lock on the item, you should be good to go with these methods.
Taronyx Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#31 Posted: 15:54:10 19/12/2014
Can someone post the DPCI codes for the trap masters/cores for W3?
---
I don't want the world, I just want your half
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:33:07 19/12/2014 by Taronyx
#32 Posted: 16:10:56 19/12/2014

There was a point in getting in an argument. There shouldn't have been any reason why you couldn't buy that trap. She was just making stuff up or confused on some promo. I would have asked, "Where does it say that?". That usually throws them off, as then they realize that it isn't written down anywhere. Employees need to know the facts and that they can't deny you a purchase just because of miscommunication on their (or the store's) part. I'd gladly ask for a manager, if I had to. You don't have to necessarily get mean or nasty about it, though. I can understand if you were in a hurry, but sometimes there's just the principle of it. Just like my experience at Walmart, yesterday, trying to get them to PM the price on Trap Masters in the TRU ad. I tried to be nice about it, but when 3 or 4 employees all standing around electronics kept denying me under false reasons, I did get upset. I was just going to put them back, but then I was just wanting to prove they were wrong. I went to another register who asked someone else. They didn't think it could be done, either, so they contacted someone else (I'm assuming management), who still denied it. At least the lady at that register couldn't make sense of the reasons they were saying. They eventually took the ad and one of my items to a manager and she approved it. When I was out of the store I realized I was fighting more for principle, than anything.
#33 Posted: 16:56:09 19/12/2014
Quote: obidawsn

There was a point in getting in an argument. There shouldn't have been any reason why you couldn't buy that trap. She was just making stuff up or confused on some promo. I would have asked, "Where does it say that?". That usually throws them off, as then they realize that it isn't written down anywhere. Employees need to know the facts and that they can't deny you a purchase just because of miscommunication on their (or the store's) part. I'd gladly ask for a manager, if I had to. You don't have to necessarily get mean or nasty about it, though. I can understand if you were in a hurry, but sometimes there's just the principle of it. Just like my experience at Walmart, yesterday, trying to get them to PM the price on Trap Masters in the TRU ad. I tried to be nice about it, but when 3 or 4 employees all standing around electronics kept denying me under false reasons, I did get upset. I was just going to put them back, but then I was just wanting to prove they were wrong. I went to another register who asked someone else. They didn't think it could be done, either, so they contacted someone else (I'm assuming management), who still denied it. At least the lady at that register couldn't make sense of the reasons they were saying. They eventually took the ad and one of my items to a manager and she approved it. When I was out of the store I realized I was fighting more for principle, than anything.

Each store has their idiots who make price matching difficult. I went to a Walmart earlier this week where it took 30+ minutes and arguing with 4 different people including a manager to price match a movie which was on sale at both Walmart.com and Amazon.com. I went to a different Walmart yesterday to price match a different movie and it took all of 30 seconds to check the price out and say yes...they even had their price match terms posted at the register in the electronics department. For the more difficult stores, by all means escalate to a manager and then a district manager...not to be nasty, but some store employees really do need to be retrained about policy and it may be necessary to get somebody higher up involved to do it. I don't understand why some employees have a mindset to provide grief to a customer over an honest price match.
#34 Posted: 17:17:27 19/12/2014
I don't think it's a mindset of causing grief. They were just not trained properly. They're so afraid of getting in trouble that they just cling to some excuse not to do the price match. The 3 at the electronics department just looked at each other as if they really weren't sure, but they were set on the reasons why it couldn't be done. When I got to the front register, the word had already gotten around that someone was trying to pm the TRU ad. That's why the person the front cashier asked said "no" because there had already been a discussion about it. I'm not sure what about as I hung around the electronics department for a little bit looking up the policy on line and never saw the employees move. I wonder if they saw me going to the front with my figures and reported that I was going to try it at another register. I'm sure they were set to stop me. But, I kept standing my ground, and in the end was proved right. That's the opposite of how customer service was supposed to be ("The customer is always right"), although I realize that things have been abused so much, it's easy to question the customer.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:18:28 19/12/2014 by obidawsn
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#35 Posted: 22:32:42 19/12/2014
Quote: mastermc54

You usually have 3 attack methods. First, try to purchase in electronics. If turned down, go to front registers and pick out the cashier who probably knows zilch about Skylanders (elderly or minority or trainee or clueless high school kid). Then, if all else fails, there's always self checkout. Unless there's a register lock on the item, you should be good to go with these methods.

Knowing Target i'd assume there was a register lock. In which case it would notify them on the screen as to why the purchase cant go through. If it didnt notify them they couldnt say it cant be sold because at that point it obviously went through. Checking out in electronics would only change whos checking you out and MAYBE level of knowledge on the product. If it locks you out at the lanes, it will lock you out in electronics because there is no difference between the registers. Also target doesnt have self-check out ;P

His best bet would have been to simply ask to see it on the screen. It woulda been a big red box saying why it couldnt be sold. If that wasnt there then the cashier could have simply price inquaried it and it would have told them all promos attached to it. Only other issue i could see is if it rang up at $0.00 which would indicate a promo only item
---
Praise Helix!!!
min8or Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#36 Posted: 04:10:08 20/12/2014
Haha, my bags get checked every time when i leave pretty much every department and electronics store i go to, they even check the under-storage bit of my pram when i am with my son. i often get pulled out of crowds x.x
it probably has a lot to do with the fact i look like this, though my chin hair has a good length on it now hahah

[User Posted Image]
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapTeamNeeded:Life and Water Minis (s2)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me