Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Better tools for mods... [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 16:32:25 20/11/2014 | Topic Creator
I don't know what all tools the mods have available to them, but a few things that it'd probably be nice for them to have access to based off of comments they've made and actions they've taken.

1.) The ability to see who is reporting posts.
2.) The ability to split threads - when a thread starts to "derail", the moderator can choose to remove the "derailing" posts and use them to create a new thread.
3.) The ability to merge threads - when a user starts a similar thread to one that already exists, but has some good, new information in it, the moderator could merge this thread with the original.

Thanks.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 16:40:04 20/11/2014
Oh my god see who is reporting a post. Could... Could anyone tell me WHERE this was implemented, is working, and totally didn't end up with a witchhunt?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 16:49:04 20/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: undefined
Oh my god see who is reporting a post. Could... Could anyone tell me WHERE this was implemented, is working, and totally didn't end up with a witchhunt?

I've worked with 4 different mainstream versions of major Bulletin Board software over the years (phpBB, vBulletin, Simple Machines, and a completely custom set-up) and am familiar with a few others (GameFAQs, for example). ALL of these set-ups have this as a basic feature built-in (I'm not even sure it's something you can turn off on some of these) - and, somehow, Bulletin Boards have survived all over the internet for over 20 years (and even before that, back in ye olden days when we would Telnet into the BBS).
#4 Posted: 16:57:48 20/11/2014
Cute. I'm still looking for actual names. Have been lurking on boards for a decade and the slighest mention that X reported Y results in a storm of epic infighting. Which is not good, btw.
And why the hell would you want any of that here? It's known some mods hold grudges. One argument with one, he could just spill the beans and tell everyone that this guy he doesn't like has reported this list of people and everyone should go after him for it.
---
#5 Posted: 17:03:15 20/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: undefined
Cute. I'm still looking for actual names. Have been lurking on boards for a decade and the slighest mention that X reported Y results in a storm of epic infighting. Which is not good, btw.
And why the hell would you want any of that here? It's known some mods hold grudges. One argument with one, he could just spill the beans and tell everyone that this guy he doesn't like has reported this list of people and everyone should go after him for it.

All you have to do is go to any other Bulletin Board and see what software they're running. Find one running the software that I call out by name above. It does what I'm proposing. By default.

Good mods know better than to bring up *who* is reporting a particular post (and, in fact, rarely bring up that a post was actually reported in the first place). Trustworthy mods, while still human and are likely to favor particular individuals, don't use their power to act on "grudges" or such.

If dark has some mods that he doesn't think are good and/or trustworthy, then, perhaps, he should look at removing them from the roster.

*edit* Oh, and this very forum is set up so that dark can see who reports individual posts. So, there ya have it. A forum where someone can see who reported a post and it hasn't turned into a witchhunt.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:33 20/11/2014 by UncleBob
#6 Posted: 17:07:50 20/11/2014
He should, he doesn't. Not to mention how little there are that have to check a big part of the forums because of the ones that disappear. It'd sooorta work if it was a system with smaller mods with little information about posts and stuff and global mods who can only step in during emergencies and have acess to more to solve issues. But you can't do that with a handful of people.
---
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#7 Posted: 23:19:16 20/11/2014
Ability to see edit history. There was this user who posted this disgusting post about giving birth to a dead baby being described very well. He edited the post and got away with it.
#8 Posted: 00:01:43 21/11/2014 | Topic Creator
According to what I've been told, mods can see edited posts. If they cannot, they should be able to.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#9 Posted: 22:30:43 14/01/2015
Quote: Pixilism
Quote: UncleBob
I don't know what all tools the mods have available to them, but a few things that it'd probably be nice for them to have access to based off of comments they've made and actions they've taken.

1.) The ability to see who is reporting posts.
2.) The ability to split threads - when a thread starts to "derail", the moderator can choose to remove the "derailing" posts and use them to create a new thread.
3.) The ability to merge threads - when a user starts a similar thread to one that already exists, but has some good, new information in it, the moderator could merge this thread with the original.

Thanks.

the latter 2 might be too much work to implement for the value that it carries
the first one could work but idk

- - -
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#10 Posted: 22:49:48 15/01/2015
Quote: somePerson
Ability to see edit history. There was this user who posted this disgusting post about giving birth to a dead baby being described very well. He edited the post and got away with it.

Definitely.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me