Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > An interesting little double standard.
Page 1 of 1
An interesting little double standard. [CLOSED]
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#1 Posted: 19:03:05 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
So it seems that most people, both on this site, and in the real world have established that joking about cancer is wrong and insensitive, and that's absolutely understandable. But here's something that 's interesting. What about joking about other illnesses?

For example:

Person A: "I think America will win the World Cup!"

Person B: "What? Are you crazy?!?"

Most people would find person B's response to be completely ordinary and not in any way uncalled for.

What if there were a conversation that went like this:

Person A: "I'm going to miss school for the next 2 weeks."

Person B: "Why? Do you have cancer or something?"

Most people would find Person B's response to be absurd and insensitive.

"Crazy" is a mental illness. Cancer is a physical illness. Cancer kills 7.6 million people annually worldwide. Insanity doesn't kill people......YES IT DOES. Adam Lanza, the Connecticut school shooter was insane. On a much larger scale level, Adolph Hitler was insane. People who commit suicide suffer from mental illness. Rapists suffer from mental illnesses. Even worse, cancer can be cured, but mental illnesses are a much different story. Serial killers, evil dictators, rapists, and suicide victims are all the result of mental illness. But it's still fine to say "Are you crazy?".

So, what if person B responded by saying these instead of "Are you crazy?" and "Do you have cancer or something?"

"Do you have a mental illness that's responsible for suicidal thoughts, serial killers, mass murderers and rapists?"

"Do you have a disease that causes the deaths of 7.6 million people worldwide each year?"

I don't know about you guys, but I think that these sound equally as bad......
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#2 Posted: 19:39:54 29/10/2014
Being crazy doesn't necessarily mean a mental illness.

On other hand, Cancer always does refer to it's physical illness.
Unless you're referring to the zodiac sign or something, I dunno.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:40:53 29/10/2014 by DummyZ
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 19:47:53 29/10/2014
I joke about cancer.

Words have power because we give them power. Humor is the great equalizer.
#4 Posted: 20:23:40 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: shorty
The reason why "crazy" is acceptable is that "a mentally ill person" is not the only definition of crazy. Saying "Are you crazy?" is the equivalent of saying "Are you stupid?". You aren't asking someone if they are mentally ill (unless you are, depends on the context really).
In addition, crazy isn't even a "mental illness". It can be used to describe someone who has a mental illness but that's not what it is.

"Crazy" was originally a word meaning mentally deranged. Eventually, yes, it did shift to the point where "Are you crazy?" would mean "Are you stupid?"

And that's not the only word people use for a mental illness either. People sometimes call one another "lunatic" or "psychopath", both of which are solidly meant for one who is suffering from mental illness.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10163
#5 Posted: 20:25:28 29/10/2014
Oh yeah, discussion that has close relation with the humanity-killing, soulless entity that lives on destroying humor as a tool to handle difficult and controversial situations: political correctness. As a man with cynical and somewhat nihilistic view to many different areas of life, things and whatnot I am not the best individual to say opinion that has something of emotional value etc. But I will try my best to address this double standard and PC conundrum.

As it has been said earlier in this topic those examples of yours are highly volatile for differences of interpretation. The word crazy is a word that has variable different meanings and definitions to people all around the world but the word cancer is most commonly used in a context of life-threatening disease. But let’s continue. I personally do not find term cancer offensive in that example situation you depicted even if it was told directly to my face. I just find term cancer in that context very… well… boring term. I know and have known people with cancer who have either survived or died from it but it still does not trigger my “I have the holy right to get offended!” button. I just do not find that word in that example to be interesting one way or the other. Cancer is just not that funny of a term when used in real-life situations. It is unexpected and out-of-context but not earth-shatteringly revolting and utterly disgusting, just peculiar. Cancer can be funny in fictional comedy, though.

Of course one should never undermine the emotionally volatile things concerned mental illnesses. When mind does not work, nothing works and as a man who has suffered from periods of depression, I must say that it is not that funny of a state of being. But I find words, crazy, mad and etc. to be quite… well... ordinary, uncreative and boring. Man, is there anything that I don’t find boring? But all in all I want to state that even though this kind of double standard exists, I still find term cancer to be least PC out of those two. Crazy is such a common term for anything that is out of usual conventions that are defined as normal, even though normal is already highly subjective term and someday PC-gone-mad will abolish that term once and for all as well.

It all comes down towards the attitude and context of the people who say those contradictions and jokes. Words are only words and therefore they are exposed to constant state of developing. Definitions change, world changes, times change and well… attitudes change. To every people who get easily offended by something that is not politically correct, ask yourself at least these following questions: “Is this joker’s meaning to my life worthy enough of my emotional investment?”, “Why do I give this joke, word, situation too much of meaning, purpose and emotional investment?” Everything comes down to meanings and definitions which have emotional worth to people. Here the word rationality comes to play. Do not react with your first-hand emotions. Let the things cool down and truly think before you say or do something back. Only thing that should matter is one’s own respective relations between the people that truly matter in one’s own life.

That is all that I have to say. If this text offended someone, I already say my utter most government-insisted apology beforehand. It was truly appalling of me to say my free-speech-right-based opinion about this matter and I am truly ashamed of myself. Carry on people…
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#6 Posted: 20:25:52 29/10/2014
A lot of people on the site get really angry when you joke about depression and other mental conditions. Crazy is let go because the word in modern terms doesn't apply specifically to any mental illnesses. But if you specifically joke about depression, autism, or the like, people on the site are bound to be a little upset and maybe call you ignorant.

And if you equate crazy with mental illnesses, all you do is potentially step on the toes of people with mental conditions. "I'M NOT CRAZY I HAVE BI POLAR DISORDER". Crazy is a very blanket term.

No matter what you joke about, someone somewhere is going to be unhappy about it. It's inevitable.

EDIT: Should also note that "cancer" as a term or anything is not offensive. And cancer survivors joke about it at times as well. It's all a matter of context and who you're telling the joke to.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:29:47 29/10/2014 by CAV
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#7 Posted: 20:41:28 29/10/2014
I'll just approach this issue from the POV of social psychology, because it is a social issue.

People choose to use different words based on the reactions that they receive from other people. This is learning through social experience. It's also how we learn to react to words, and how we learn new words/new meanings for words.
Not everyone stops to consider what the words they use really represent. Reactions that differ from the intended happen when people receiving the verbal message possesses different mental connotations for words than the person transmitting the verbal message does.
For example: someone jokes about cancer, and the listener takes offense though none was intended. This leaves both parties confused, as they essentially failed to reach a consensus about the meaning of a word.

So there you go. It's not a double standard, it's just different people seeing things differently.

Social pressure may also play a part. I'm sure you've noticed that people don't really think joking about cancer is wrong when they happen to find it funny, but they tend to agree with the majority because it is an issue that can spark some pretty strong reactions.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:45:09 29/10/2014 by Samius
#8 Posted: 20:52:48 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Mrmorrises
The reason why "crazy" is acceptable is that "a mentally ill person" is not the only definition of crazy. Saying "Are you crazy?" is the equivalent of saying "Are you stupid?". You aren't asking someone if they are mentally ill (unless you are, depends on the context really).
In addition, crazy isn't even a "mental illness". It can be used to describe someone who has a mental illness but that's not what it is.

"Crazy" was originally a word meaning mentally deranged. Eventually, yes, it did shift to the point where "Are you crazy?" would mean "Are you stupid?"

And that's not the only word people use for a mental illness either. People sometimes call one another "lunatic" or "psychopath", both of which are solidly meant for one who is suffering from mental illness.

Yes, exactly. In this day and age it doesn't generally mean "mentally deranged".
I've never heard anyone say "Are you a lunatic?" or "Are you a psychopath?" in the same context as someone would say "Are you crazy?". And again, that isn't the only definition of lunatic and psychopath. It depends on the context.
As DummyZ pointed out, when people joke about cancer, they are referring the the physical disease most of the time. Again, it depends on the context in which it's used.

But obviously being stupid is different from being crazy. Being crazy is considerably worse. Should people really use a word thats LITERAL DEFINITION is "mentally deranged". It's like saying someone who is sick has cancer.

"No, he is not crazy, he just isn't very intelligent"

"No, he does not have cancer, he is jusg suffering from a very bad fever."
#9 Posted: 21:13:57 29/10/2014 | Topic Creator
But obviously being stupid is different from being crazy. Being crazy is considerably worse. Should people really use a word thats LITERAL DEFINITION is "mentally deranged". It's like saying someone who is sick has cancer.

"No, he is not crazy, he just isn't very intelligent"

"No, he does not have cancer, he is jusg suffering from a very bad fever."

That's only one of crazy's definitions. There are other definitions for the word crazy. That may have been the original definition of crazy but that's not the definition which is commonly used today. Languages evolve.

It is the original definition, and is still the primary definition. And I have heard people call each other lunatics or psychopaths before; they toss it around like a regular phrase.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#10 Posted: 22:23:00 29/10/2014
Or just don't joke about stuff like that at all? If you have a problem with these jokes, just don't say them, but you can't really control what other people say. But honestly I don't think I've heard anyone actually say "Are you crazy?" in a long time, excluding shows like Family Guy, which is well-known for its controversial humor anyway so that doesn't really count, I guess.

Also
[User Posted Image]

There are a few different definitions of the word, so it depends on what context you are using it in.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#11 Posted: 22:33:38 29/10/2014
Quote: Project_Unnamed
Oh yeah, discussion that has close relation with the humanity-killing, soulless entity that lives on destroying humor as a tool to handle difficult and controversial situations: political correctness. As a man with cynical and somewhat nihilistic view to many different areas of life, things and whatnot I am not the best individual to say opinion that has something of emotional value etc. But I will try my best to address this double standard and PC conundrum.

As it has been said earlier in this topic those examples of yours are highly volatile for differences of interpretation. The word crazy is a word that has variable different meanings and definitions to people all around the world but the word cancer is most commonly used in a context of life-threatening disease. But let’s continue. I personally do not find term cancer offensive in that example situation you depicted even if it was told directly to my face. I just find term cancer in that context very… well… boring term. I know and have known people with cancer who have either survived or died from it but it still does not trigger my “I have the holy right to get offended!” button. I just do not find that word in that example to be interesting one way or the other. Cancer is just not that funny of a term when used in real-life situations. It is unexpected and out-of-context but not earth-shatteringly revolting and utterly disgusting, just peculiar. Cancer can be funny in fictional comedy, though.

Of course one should never undermine the emotionally volatile things concerned mental illnesses. When mind does not work, nothing works and as a man who has suffered from periods of depression, I must say that it is not that funny of a state of being. But I find words, crazy, mad and etc. to be quite… well... ordinary, uncreative and boring. Man, is there anything that I don’t find boring? But all in all I want to state that even though this kind of double standard exists, I still find term cancer to be least PC out of those two. Crazy is such a common term for anything that is out of usual conventions that are defined as normal, even though normal is already highly subjective term and someday PC-gone-mad will abolish that term once and for all as well.

It all comes down towards the attitude and context of the people who say those contradictions and jokes. Words are only words and therefore they are exposed to constant state of developing. Definitions change, world changes, times change and well… attitudes change. To every people who get easily offended by something that is not politically correct, ask yourself at least these following questions: “Is this joker’s meaning to my life worthy enough of my emotional investment?”, “Why do I give this joke, word, situation too much of meaning, purpose and emotional investment?” Everything comes down to meanings and definitions which have emotional worth to people. Here the word rationality comes to play. Do not react with your first-hand emotions. Let the things cool down and truly think before you say or do something back. Only thing that should matter is one’s own respective relations between the people that truly matter in one’s own life.

That is all that I have to say. If this text offended someone, I already say my utter most government-insisted apology beforehand. It was truly appalling of me to say my free-speech-right-based opinion about this matter and I am truly ashamed of myself. Carry on people…

Too lazy to read but gonna applaud anyway
---
now its time to get funky
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#12 Posted: 22:37:13 29/10/2014
honestly you people (and one more + tryhard teachers who treat "stuff" like a swear word) are the only ones ive seen that care about what terms other people use. i still don't see the big deal about saying anything if it's used in a mild way. you can usually tell by someone's tone if something's meant to be offensive, so don't overreact to the way people speak. this could be a reason why some people don't get along with others no matter how hard they try tho
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#13 Posted: 00:42:46 30/10/2014
Eh...

Quote: CAV
A lot of people on the site get really angry when you joke about depression and other mental conditions. Crazy is let go because the word in modern terms doesn't apply specifically to any mental illnesses. But if you specifically joke about depression, autism, or the like, people on the site are bound to be a little upset and maybe call you ignorant.

And if you equate crazy with mental illnesses, all you do is potentially step on the toes of people with mental conditions. "I'M NOT CRAZY I HAVE BI POLAR DISORDER". Crazy is a very blanket term.

No matter what you joke about, someone somewhere is going to be unhappy about it. It's inevitable.

EDIT: Should also note that "cancer" as a term or anything is not offensive. And cancer survivors joke about it at times as well. It's all a matter of context and who you're telling the joke to.

Yes, exactly. In this day and age it doesn't generally mean "mentally deranged".
I've never heard anyone say "Are you a lunatic?" or "Are you a psychopath?" in the same context as someone would say "Are you crazy?". And again, that isn't the only definition of lunatic and psychopath. It depends on the context.
As DummyZ pointed out, when people joke about cancer, they are referring the the physical disease most of the time. Again, it depends on the context in which it's used.

^^All of these^^....
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#14 Posted: 02:50:48 30/10/2014 | Topic Creator
*Waits for someone else to make the same point I did, but instead be praised as a genius for it*
#15 Posted: 14:39:00 30/10/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon
Or just don't joke about stuff like that at all?

ARE YOU CRAZY?

*Waits for someone else to make the same point I did, but instead be praised as a genius for it*

Odds are they'd get the same reaction as you did.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#16 Posted: 15:36:04 30/10/2014
[User Posted Image]

smash bros confirmed to be racist towards hands with mental illnesses

1 like = 1 Dairy Milk
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12096
#17 Posted: 16:23:30 30/10/2014
"Cancer" actually means "crab" in Latin due to Hippocrates describing a malignant tumor as having a crab like appearance.

Ah, political correctness strikes again.
#18 Posted: 20:43:45 30/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: AvatariDragon
Or just don't joke about stuff like that at all?

ARE YOU CRAZY?

Odds are they'd get the same reaction as you did.

Nah, there are some people on this site who can say whatever the hell they want and everyone will be all like "You're so smart, everyone should listen to you!"
#19 Posted: 21:16:47 30/10/2014
Nah, there are some people on this site who can say whatever the hell they want and everyone will be all like "You're so smart, everyone should listen to you!"

While human beings do tend to agree with people they like and respect more often, I think it's also partly because of tendencies like this (quote below). Some people see a long post and think whoever wrote it must be a genius. Not everybody cares enough to take a closer look at what is being said.

I've noticed that whenever I type a really long post on some subject I often get replies saying things like "this^" or "I agree". I appreciate it, of course, but I really wish people didn't do that. These replies basically just serve to deter others from voicing their disagreements (which is bad, it kills the conversation).

Then again, whenever I type a shorter post with an equally logical point (like the one I posted on this topic) I get no replies. Which is funny because I'd imagine that simpler, shorter points are easier to get your mind around.

Quote: xXBeavcoonXx
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#20 Posted: 21:26:00 30/10/2014
Quote: Samius

While human beings do tend to agree with people they like and respect more often, I think it's also partly because of tendencies like this (quote below). Some people see a long post and think whoever wrote it must be a genius. Not everybody cares enough to take a closer look at what is being said.

I've noticed that whenever I type a really long post on some subject I often get replies saying things like "this^" or "I agree". I appreciate it, of course, but I really wish people didn't do that. These replies basically just serve to deter others from voicing their disagreements (which is bad, it kills the conversation).

Then again, whenever I type a shorter post with an equally logical point (like the one I posted on this topic) I get no replies. Which is funny because I'd imagine that simpler, shorter points are easier to get your mind around.

Quote: xXBeavcoonXx

Every Project_Unnamed post ever.
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4123
#21 Posted: 02:41:47 31/10/2014
Most people I know who use the term crazy don't even know this literal definition, while the people who I've heard make jokes about cancer know very well what they're doing. I mean, unless you're intentionally using the term crazy to mean "mentally deranged" or something, I don't see the problem with the people who use crazy as in "stupid" or "odd"
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#22 Posted: 15:17:46 31/10/2014

*snip*

Always go for quality over quantity, even in the words you type out! ^.^b
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#23 Posted: 16:26:47 31/10/2014

That's usually because they say something that everyone already thinks and believes in, but puts it in a sophisticated tl;dr way that they can appreciate. I highly doubt if someone known for that were to speak in defense of your claims that they would be praised and followed. They would get the same response as you.

You're so smart, everyone should listen to you!
#24 Posted: 19:10:05 31/10/2014
Quote: somePerson
Every Project_Unnamed post ever.

Well, in a way. I mean he makes great points too, but I pretty sure he also gets praised because of the simple fact that most of his posts are huge walls of text. It's not his fault, but it's just the way it seems to be.

Quote: HIR
Always go for quality over quantity, even in the words you type out! ^.^b

True, it's always better to keep it simple if you can.

You're so smart, everyone should listen to you!

Wow! Thanks, brotege!
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#25 Posted: 00:53:18 25/11/2014
And Cancer is also a constellation, it doesn't offend all
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#26 Posted: 00:57:11 25/11/2014
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: Windumup

Dude, what the actual ****?

I am a Cancer, I was born in July
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:02:53 25/11/2014 by Windumup
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#27 Posted: 01:01:40 25/11/2014
why is then even a topic
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#28 Posted: 01:03:57 25/11/2014
Quote: Windumup

Why do you always bring in off-topic posts?
#29 Posted: 04:31:33 25/11/2014
I get the feeling that the Darky Awards are the driving force behing this vulgar transgression.
Will171717 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1208
#30 Posted: 04:34:18 25/11/2014
^this whole topic

TL DR
---
henlo
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me