Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
flaky skylander? anyone know? [CLOSED]
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#1 Posted: 06:56:05 17/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I was playing on the ipad with ghost roaster and all of a sudden he completely stopped working. i tried him on everything, the ipad, the 3ds portal, the bluetooth battlegrounds portal, the swap force, even tried scanning it with my phone (which makes the phone make a noise and say "unknown tag") wouldnt even show up as anything, totally dead. then all of a sudden it worked. ive never had a figure do this. ive had them get corrupted but never just totally stop working. Worst thing is its my ghost roaster. Hes like my favorite character. anyone have any ideas wtf happened with it? it doesnt rattle, i didnt drop it, nothing happened other than i was playing it and just just disappeared, and i didnt do anything to make it work again, it just came back. Im really worried. smilie
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#2 Posted: 12:21:08 17/10/2014
My original ghost roaster stopped working all together in giants, but never came back life like yours did! Maybe that's why they re-released him?
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#3 Posted: 14:05:24 17/10/2014
I'm hoping these RFID chips from series 1 aren't slowly "dying" out in the field.

Keep in mind trap team has known portal stops reading issues---so use Swap Force and Swap Force portal and see if it works just in case.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#4 Posted: 20:39:03 17/10/2014
They don't last forever.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
lidocain Yellow Sparx Gems: 1087
#5 Posted: 21:52:34 17/10/2014
Though they'll eventually all become simple lifeless toys, I think they should definitely work for more than just 3 years... I wonder how many old fans will continue buying the franchise if this becomes a mass issue in the near future.
---
" ... and then maybe I'd run out of things to complain about! Altough probably not. "- G.

××× Made in Hungary ×××
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#6 Posted: 23:59:10 17/10/2014
Quote: lidocain
Though they'll eventually all become simple lifeless toys, I think they should definitely work for more than just 3 years... I wonder how many old fans will continue buying the franchise if this becomes a mass issue in the near future.

Nooooooooooooo!
#7 Posted: 00:37:46 18/10/2014 | Topic Creator
ghosthoaster,
i tried it on everything man. it stopped working on the ipad trap portal. then i tried all the other portals i have for all the different systems and different games. and i didnt do anything special to make it start working again. like nothing. it just came back to life..

i have atari/nes/sega cartridges that are 30 years old and they still work perfectly. these chips should last way more than 3 years. and i dont play with them THAT much, ghost roaster has not been sitting on a portal 24/7 or anything.

i was wondering if anyones opened a dead skylander and seen any damage to the rfid chips? the antenna part maybe? i can imagine one of those trace wire things being like a hairline away from each other.

they better release a ghost roaster repose before mine dies completely. the prices for him are stupid on ebay and at game stores, they want 40-80 dollars for him. CRAZY
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#8 Posted: 00:47:22 18/10/2014
have you used the skylanders tool and rewritten the chip inside?
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#9 Posted: 02:55:53 18/10/2014
Quote: exosquad
i have atari/nes/sega cartridges that are 30 years old and they still work perfectly.

That's completely different. It's like saying that your pencil broke, and that it makes no sense since the white house is still standing.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#10 Posted: 04:44:30 18/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Ryanator20x6
i have atari/nes/sega cartridges that are 30 years old and they still work perfectly.

That's completely different. It's like saying that your pencil broke, and that it makes no sense since the white house is still standing.

do you understand what the electronics involved in the rfid chips are? its a little memory chip sitting on a plastic sheet with a wire antenna coil around it. an cartridge video game is a big memory chip(s) surrounded by printed circuit board. the only difference is the size, materials,method of reading data. its the same electronic principles. electrons storing data in 1 and 0s. RFID uses wireless induction to read the signal using radiowaves, video game cartridges used a metal on metal connection for that. cartridges have way more points of failure than a wireless tag. metal contact corrodes. the rfid chip has zero moving and zero connecting parts. so the points of failure are very limited. (maybe im over simplifying it)

i could understand the memory chip getting corrupted because of the read/write aspect and the game telling me "you have a broken toy", but for the entire tag to just stop responding in every single device i have that can read those tags, doesnt make any sense to me.

@countmoneybone
the method of reading/writing to the toy shouldnt matter at all. because it wasnt a issue of corrupted data, it was just it stopped working completely.
---
#11 Posted: 14:59:11 18/10/2014
Quote: Ryanator20x6

do you understand what the electronics involved in the rfid chips are? its a little memory chip sitting on a plastic sheet with a wire antenna coil around it. an cartridge video game is a big memory chip(s) surrounded by printed circuit board. the only difference is the size, materials,method of reading data. its the same electronic principles. electrons storing data in 1 and 0s. RFID uses wireless induction to read the signal using radiowaves, video game cartridges used a metal on metal connection for that. cartridges have way more points of failure than a wireless tag. metal contact corrodes. the rfid chip has zero moving and zero connecting parts. so the points of failure are very limited. (maybe im over simplifying it)

i could understand the memory chip getting corrupted because of the read/write aspect and the game telling me "you have a broken toy", but for the entire tag to just stop responding in every single device i have that can read those tags, doesnt make any sense to me.

@countmoneybone
the method of reading/writing to the toy shouldnt matter at all. because it wasnt a issue of corrupted data, it was just it stopped working completely.

RFID tags have batteries. They run out.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#12 Posted: 18:46:57 18/10/2014
No they don't.

Chip life is based on the flash memory read/write lifecycle inside, that is all.
#13 Posted: 19:29:44 18/10/2014 | Topic Creator
@Pyrofer
What do you think would cause a figure to die and then come back to life? after some researching i think it has to be a flaw in the antenna coil or the connection to the chip. which would make sense if it was a card or a flexible sticker causing a connection to break over time of being bent and used. but its solidly in place, never been removed/opened and doesnt rattle.. so im still at a loss for understanding the how it could break? i know you're an expert on these things, your opinion is more than welcomed on this issue!

@ryanator20x6
i typed a nice flame post that put you down for being ignorant. but that doesnt do anything to help the world. so i deleted it and decided to say.
go read about how these things work and educate yourself. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
---
#14 Posted: 00:12:24 19/10/2014
@Pyrofer
What do you think would cause a figure to die and then come back to life? after some researching i think it has to be a flaw in the antenna coil or the connection to the chip. which would make sense if it was a card or a flexible sticker causing a connection to break over time of being bent and used. but its solidly in place, never been removed/opened and doesnt rattle.. so im still at a loss for understanding the how it could break? i know you're an expert on these things, your opinion is more than welcomed on this issue!

@ryanator20x6
i typed a nice flame post that put you down for being ignorant. but that doesnt do anything to help the world. so i deleted it and decided to say.
go read about how these things work and educate yourself. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

I already read an article on them.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me