Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
TRU product placement [CLOSED]
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#1 Posted: 00:36:45 23/09/2014 | Topic Creator
So tomorrow, DI 2.0 will be coming out. I'll be heading to my local TRU primarily I'm curious to see if they are going to give DI some shelves outside of the electronics section or if they are simply going to clean up the current DI area. If DI gets the front section, where Swap Force seemed to camp out for all of the Christmas season and more, that doesn't bode well for Trap Team. With Trap Team only 2 weeks out, I don't see TRU going to the effort of giving DI front and center for 2 weeks, then switching it out again for Trap Team. And if Trap Team doesn't get front and center, it's going to negatively impact sales I think.

Perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on this, and perhaps what TRU does doesn't make that much different, but it seems to me like it would.

Anyone else curious about this?
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 00:55:18 23/09/2014
Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. smilie

I think some general observations might be good to know. And if there are a ton of buyers.

Are they doing a midnight line this year?
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
min8or Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#3 Posted: 01:02:09 23/09/2014
the front displays in Australia at K-mart, Target and JB hifi stores for Disney Infinity have already been moved back to their appropriate section, at least at my local stores.
My local TRU had zero Disney Infinity.
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapTeamNeeded:Life and Water Minis (s2)
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#4 Posted: 17:24:24 23/09/2014
I wouldn't think that DI 2.0 would even have enough product to take up an entire front display. They don't have anywhere near as many figures as Skylanders, even when you include both games. I could be wrong, though, and they'll fill it with lots of the same figures. Or they fill it with other Disney merchandise. I wouldn't doubt that they'll have some sort of display for it, though. My store has a double sided front display. There's one as soon as you walk in the store and one behind it. They currently (at least as of the other day) have Lego at the front and Planes behind it. I'm surprised they haven't gotten rid of the Planes display, yet. Though right next to the Planes display is their seasonal section that already has Halloween and Christmas. I also wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of the Planes display and put seasonal stuff there.
Kinson420 Blue Sparx Gems: 610
#5 Posted: 10:45:33 27/09/2014
The display area at the front of TRUs is the "Feature Shop". Corp chooses what they want there depending on what they want feature in the stores at the time. It's constantly changing to what's new or hot/popular. SF was there for awhile but so was DI 1.0, as well as transformers when AoE came out. If trap team doesn't make a presence in the feature shop it won't hurt it's sales at all as everyone knows their local TRU and where landers are located.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:50:08 27/09/2014 by Kinson420
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#6 Posted: 14:11:20 27/09/2014
Quote: Kinson420
The display area at the front of TRUs is the "Feature Shop". Corp chooses what they want there depending on what they want feature in the stores at the time. It's constantly changing to what's new or hot/popular. SF was there for awhile but so was DI 1.0, as well as transformers when AoE came out. If trap team doesn't make a presence in the feature shop it won't hurt it's sales at all as everyone knows their local TRU and where landers are located.

Marketing 101...placement of something in the feature shop near the entrance or front of the store makes all the difference in the world. I can't tell you how many kids I saw bugging their parents after school to buy them a Skylander at the feature display...something I barely saw in the video games Skylanders section. Put any item where there is a lot of foot traffic and it's more likely to sell and at greater numbers. The key is keeping the feature shop fresh with new and cool toys rotating through. Of course us fans know where to hunt down Skylanders in each store knowing well in advance what we want, but a key part of sales is the market where little Johnny (casual and or younger/less knowledgable fan) walks into a store and spots a Jade Fire Kraken on the shelves (probably not even knowing in advance that such a figure existed).
#7 Posted: 15:43:55 27/09/2014
Quote: Kinson420

It will hurt from the perspective that they will have to be more "on the spot" with restocking...obviously more space is better. I would expect it again this year; the lack of that feature spot marks something significant in terms of their expectations this year for the franchise.

defpally and I noticed significant drop off last year and I'm wondering if they will dedicate that kind of space given last year's lukewarm response.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:46 27/09/2014 by GhostRoaster
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#8 Posted: 15:54:42 27/09/2014
my local tru has a big infinity display in the back of the store, but still has lego up front. that'll probably change soon.
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#9 Posted: 16:43:34 27/09/2014
I haven't been to my local TRU for a while, but they have a section in the front, and two aisles in the back. One of the two are for SSA and Giants, while the other is just SSF. I'd wish they'd change it up, because the SSF section is facing the opposite way that you walk into the electronics, while the overstock isn't. I would rather have they take a corner or something, instead of two very cluttered aisles.
---
A story.
#10 Posted: 21:30:30 27/09/2014
I saw the Trap Team kiosk display...wasn't working, but the portal "almost" looks the size we get out of box...the trap was "fixed" inside of the holder and there were buttons to talk about the game, tablet version, and the trap itself.
---
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#11 Posted: 14:20:42 28/09/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
I saw the Trap Team kiosk display...wasn't working, but the portal "almost" looks the size we get out of box...the trap was "fixed" inside of the holder and there were buttons to talk about the game, tablet version, and the trap itself.

Oh yeah, Im surprised no one posted a pic of the display yet lol.

[User Posted Image]
User creon77 posted this on reddit a few days ago.

A friend of mine at TRU said they'll be using the Feature Shop for Trap Team for now, but she expressed concern about where they'll be going after. Their store already pulled a bunch of video game accessories and rearranged stuff to have more room. I'm assuming others are seeing similar things in their stores. I mentioned in another thread that they really should make a "Toys to Life" aisle between toys and video games to house Skylanders (likely still some Giants figures left over and TRU might even have SSA + Swap Force + Trap Team), Infinity (Both original and 2.0) and later this year, the amiibos from Nintendo (and plus the random other things, like the Telepods and whatever else they have.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
dinoah2005 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3472
#12 Posted: 16:35:34 28/09/2014
Looks like my TRU will have TT in the big main display area when you walk in, it was not given to DI.
DI got the smaller area where the School backpacks/lunch boxes were during back-to-school period.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me